SHALL SEE the LORD !
What does Hebrews 12:14
Does this mean that a believer MUST do WORKS of RIGHTEOUSNESS
in ORDER to OBTAIN
ETERNAL LIFE ?
Let us begin this study in God's word by reading Hebrews 12:14, which says,
So then, the question has come before me, does
this verse mean that without HOLINESS in our lives that NO man will
SEE the Lord IN US? In other words, I was asked, does not this verse just simply mean that unless we walk in holiness, then no other person will ever be able to see the Lord IN US?
Does this verse TRULY mean that without HOLINESS in our lives that NO man living a life WITHOUT holiness will SEE the Lord, in that, NO man will be able to ENTER into the kingdom of God nor RECEIVE ETERNAL LIFE when they die or when Jesus returns IF SO BE that they are found to be UNFAITHFUL and WITHOUT HOLINESS when they die or when Jesus comes again?
To answer this question let us first take a look at the WORDS of Jesus himself found in
24:12,13, where Jesus is clearly teaching us that in the last days SIN will ABOUND and the LOVE of MANY Christians will grow cold. And then Jesus follows up with a WARNING for all believers to ENDURE unto the END, because it will be that ONLY those true born again believers who ENDURE unto the END that shall be SAVED and inherit ETERNAL LIFE in the world to COME.
13. But he that shall ENDURE unto the end (referring to the END of our LIFE or the END being the end of the AGE, when Jesus RETURNS to execute the WRATH of Almighty God), the SAME shall be saved (speaking of ONLY those FAITHFUL believers who do NOT let their LOVE grow cold and fall back into SIN, but RATHER it is ONLY those true born again believers who ENDURE unto the END that shall be SAVED and RECEIVE ETERNAL LIFE when Jesus comes again AT his SECOND coming)."
Then again in John
6:26 we see Jesus teaching us to LABOR or WORK for that MEAT which will endure or more precisely that meat or DOCTRINE which will cause US to ENDURE UNTO ETERNAL LIFE which Jesus SHALL give to those who ENDURE unto the END at his coming in the world to COME.
"LABOR (or WORK) not for the MEAT which perishes, BUT (but WHAT? BUT rather WORK) for that MEAT which endures UNTO everlasting life, which the Son of man SHALL give unto you: for him has God the Father sealed."
Now this verse leads me to believe that IF a person is WORKING for the WRONG kind of MEAT, then that WRONG MEAT will cause that person to PERISH, but IF one WORKS for the TRUE MEAT, then this TRUE MEAT of this TRUE DOCTRINE will lead them to ENDURE UNTO RECEIVING ETERNAL LIFE that Jesus will gives us AT his SECOND coming IF SO BE that we CONTINUE in this word of TRUTH.
Remember what Jesus said in John 8:31,32 about us being his disciples IF and ONLY IF we CONTINUE in his WORD.
"Then said Jesus to those Jews which BELIEVED on him, IF you CONTINUE in my WORD, THEN (or then and ONLY THEN) are you my disciples indeed;
32. And you shall know the TRUTH, and the TRUTH shall MAKE you free (or cause you to become free)."
Therefore we MUST without fail CONTINUE in the word of TRUTH and ENDURE unto the END in order to be SAVED and inherit ETERNAL LIFE in the world to COME. So then, in order to understand what Jesus meant by LABORING or WORKING for that MEAT which will produce ETERNAL LIFE in us, then we need to know WHAT Jesus meant by the word "MEAT"? Well if we back up a couple of chapters and read John 4:32-38 we will see that one of the meanings of the word "MEAT" means to LABOR or to WORK the WILL of Almighty God.
Then a few verses after John 6:27 where Jesus teaches us to WORK for that MEAT that produces ETERNAL LIFE Jesus goes on to tell us WHAT that MEAT is in John 6:55-63 where we see that the FLESH of Jesus is MEAT to eat and if one eats his FLESH THEN and ONLY THEN they shall LIVE by him.
In other words, the very WORD of Almighty God is MEAT whereby we shall OBTAIN ETERNAL LIFE if so be that we OBEY or LIVE by EVERY WORD that proceeds from the mouth of God. Yet we also see in God's word that some are not able to bear strong MEAT, until they have grown in the Lord and are no longer babes is Christ. Please read 1 Corinthians 3:1-8 which says,
Let us read John 6:26 again in the New Living Translation
"But you shouldn't be so concerned about perishable things like food. Spend your energy SEEKING the eternal life that I, the Son of Man, can give you. For God the Father has sent me for that very purpose."
WHY SEEK after ETERNAL LIFE if we ALREADY possess eternal life and can NEVER lose our SALVATION?
1 Corinthians 10:1-13
"Moreover, brethren, I would not that you should be IGNORANT (or LACK this KNOWLEDGE of the TRUTH so that you perish NOT), how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
13. There has no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will NOT suffer you to be tempted ABOVE that you are ABLE; but will with the temptation ALSO make a way to escape, that you may be ABLE to bear it."
Now please read chapter 5 of the book of Hebrews, which CLEARLY teaches us that we MUST OBEY the WORDS of Jesus in order to OBTAIN ETERNAL LIFE in the world to COME when Jesus comes again.
"For every high priest taken from among men is ordained for men in things pertaining to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for SINS:
12. For when for the time you OUGHT to be teachers, you have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and NOT of STRONG MEAT.
You see my dear brothers and sister in the Lord, the word of God tells us in Hebrews 2:18 that Jesus suffer not only by his suffering on the cross but ALSO BY being TEMPTED.
"For in that he (Jesus) himself has suffered BEING tempted, he is able to succour (or aid or help) them that are tempted."
Also please read Luke 4:4, where we see HOW Jesus OVERCAME the devil when he was TEMPTED by the devil in the desert place to turn stones into bread after Jesus had just gone through a 40 day fast and was hungry.
"And Jesus answered him, saying, It is WRITTEN, That man shall not LIVE by bread alone, but by EVERY WORD of God."
When Jesus was TEMPTED to SIN, Jesus then USED the WORD of Almighty God to OVERCOME the devil.
"DOES THE BIBLE TEACH THAT ONCE YOU ARE SAVED YOU ARE ALWAYS SAVED?", "HOW CAN I BE SAVED?", and "WE ARE NOT SAVED BY OUR OWN GOOD WORKS"
But for now let us continue this study in God's WORD to see if the words in Hebrews 12:14 TRULY mean that NO man shall see God unless they LIVE HOLY LIVES before God. Let us now read James 1:12 out of several different translations in order to SEE the TRUTH of God's word that one MUST without fail ENDURE temptation unto the END and NOT SIN in ORDER that we may be ACCOUNT WORTHY to OBTAIN eternal life in the world to come.
Here is how James 1:12 in the Complete Jerusalem
"How BLESSED is the man WHO PERSEVERES THROUGH TEMPTATION! For AFTER he has PASSED the test, he WILL RECEIVE as his crown the LIFE which God has PROMISED to those who LOVE him."
Can you not see my dear brothers and sisters in the Lord, that it is NOT just the simply going THROUGH the motions of being tried or tested that APPROVES us before God, but RATHER whether or not we PASS the time of testing WHEREBY God may then KNOW our heart. Please consider from the scriptures an example of this God KNOWING the heart of a man only AFTER the man went through a time of testing where Almighty God puts Abraham to the TEST in order to SEE if Abraham truly LOVES him. Read it for yourself in Genesis 22:1-12 where Almighty God puts Abraham to a TEST in order to SEE if Abraham truly fears and loves God.
"And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt (or TRY or TEST) Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.
3. And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him.
4. Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off.
5. And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide you here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.
6. And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together.
8. And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.
9. And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.
10. And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.
11. And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
12. And he said, Lay not your hand upon the lad, neither do you any thing unto him: for NOW I KNOW that you fear God, SEEING you have not withheld your son, your only son from me."
Abraham PASSED the test by DOING the WILL of God, and God did not know for sure UNTIL the test was over and God SAW the OBEDIENCE of Abraham to DO his WILL. We are taught in Hebrews 10:35-39 to have PATIENCE in our trials and NOT to CAST AWAY the confidence of our faith in order that we may RECEIVE the PROMISE when the test is done.
"Cast NOT away therefore your confidence, which has great recompense of REWARD.
36. For you have need of patience, THAT (or so that), AFTER you have DONE the WILL of God, you might RECEIVE the promise.
37. For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
38. Now the just shall LIVE by faith: BUT if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
39. But we are not of them who draw back unto PERDITION; but of them that believe TO the SAVING of the soul."
Let us read verse 29 again from the Complete Jerusalem Bible and then from the Message Bible.
" 29. However, we are not the kind who shrink back and are DESTROYED; on the contrary, we KEEP trusting and thus preserve our lives!
"29. But we're not quitters who lose out. Oh, no! We'll stay with it and survive, trusting all the way."
Can you not see my dear brothers and sisters in the Lord, that we MUST CONTINUE in our faith and stay with it ALL the WAY to the END in ORDER to be SAVED. Let us read James 1:12 again, this time from the American Standard Version.
"BLESSED is the man THAT ENDURES temptation; for WHEN he has been APPROVED, he shall receive the crown of life, which [the Lord] PROMISED to them that LOVE him."
You see, the person who the Bible says is BLESSED and RECEIVES eternal life is the person that ENDURES through the temptation and does NOT allow himself or herself to be OVERCOME by the enemy and give into the temptation and SIN, then, WHEN this person is APPROVED of God, because they PASSED the test or trail and ENDURED unto the END, THEN they shall RECEIVE their crown of eternal life in the world to COME.
Let us read this verse in James 1:12 from the New American Standard Version.
"Blessed is a man who PERSEVERES under trial; (WHY?) for once he has been APPROVED, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who LOVE Him."
Another point that I want to bring to your attention is that this REWARD of eternal life in only promised to those who LOVE God. I want you to read this verse in James 1:12, a few of more times so that this TRUTH in God's word really sinks deep down into your spirit. Here is the English Standard Version.
"Blessed is the man WHO REMAINS steadfast under trial, for WHEN (or AFTER) he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who LOVE him."
1:12 from the Weymouth Translation.
"Blessed is he who patiently endures trials; for WHEN he has stood the test, he will GAIN the victor's crown--even the crown of Life--which the Lord has promised to those who LOVE Him."
James 1:12 New Century Version.
"When people are tempted and still CONTINUE strong, they should be happy. AFTER they have PROVED their faith, God will REWARD them with LIFE forever. God promised this to all those who LOVE him."
Can you not see my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ that it is ONLY AFTER we have been found to be FAITHFUL that Jesus will say unto us, Well done my GOOD and FAITHFUL servant, ENTER YOU into the JOY of the Lord.
Now I would like for you to please read Matthew 24:31-54 which teaches us that in the last days some of the SERVANTS of God will FALL AWAY and go back to living a life of SIN and these EVIL servants shall be CUT asunder or cut off from their inheritance and cast into outer darkness, because they were NOT found to be FAITHFUL when Jesus comes again.
38. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark,
43. But know this, that if the GOOD man of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he (speaking of the GOOD man, HE) would have WATCHED, and would NOT have suffered his house to be broken up.
51. And shall cut HIM (that servant who went back into living in SIN Jesus shall cut that disobedient child) ASUNDER, and APPOINT him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
Jesus goes on and continues to teach us about the UNPROFITABLE servant and his reward of being cast out into outer darkness and then how the FAITHFUL servant who walked in RIGHTEOUSNESS was welcome into the JOY of the Lord/ Please read Matthew chapter 25, which reads as follows,
34. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, you blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: (WHY? will ONLY these PROFITABLE servants INHERIT the kingdom of God. WHAT did they DO to be called PROFITABLE servants? Please keep reading)
41. Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: (WHY? Why are these servants called CURSED or UNRIGHTEOUS servants?)
45. Then shall he answer THEM (those that had the very SAME opportunity to DO the SAME GOOD WORKS as the RIGHTEOUS and FAITHFUL servants, but did NOT DO these GOOD WORKS wherein they were CALLED to DO, then to those UNPROFITABLE servants Jesus answered), saying , Verily I say unto you, In as much as you did it NOT to one of the least of these, you did it NOT to me.
46. And THESE shall go away into everlasting punishment: BUT the RIGHTEOUS (the ones who OBEYED their Lord to DO GOOD WORKS of RIGHTEOUSNESS which Ephesians 2:8-10 teaches us that we created in Christ Jesus to DO and were therefore called the RIGHTEOUS, these ONLY who REMAINED RIGHTEOUS went) into LIFE ETERNAL."
Now if you are like me and attend a church where you are TAUGHT that you are SAVED by GRACE ALONE and NOT of WORKS lest any
man should BOAST, and that WORKS we no do after being saved come or are produced from our being
SAVED. Therefore, as some go on to TEACH, you do NOT DO WORKS of RIGHTEOUSNESS to EARN or
even KEEP your SALVATION.
If you have been TAUGHT this in your church where you attend, then you may struggle with the following scriptures, until you get a TRUE understanding of WHAT being SAVED TRULY means in the LIGHT of the WHOLE word of God. I will explain what I mean by this a little later on in this study of God's word. But for now let us take a CLOSE look at some of the verses that CLEARLY show the CONDITION of DOING GOOD WORKS in ORDER to OBTAIN ETERNAL LIFE in the end.
Please read John 6:27-29 which says,
Now some stop right here as say, there you have it from Jesus HIMSELF who plainly tells us that the ONLY WORK we must do to be saved is BELIEVE on Almighty God the Father. Case CLOSED!
But my dear brothers and sisters in the Lord I must caution you that this ONE verse is NOT the WHOLE word of Almighty God. For you see ANY verse when viewed ALONE and APART from the WHOLE word of God may SEEM to be saying something that the WHOLE word of TRUTH is NOT TRULY saying. For an extreme example I can show you a verse from the Bible that PLAINLY says that Jesus has a devil so why here what Jesus has to say, but this ONE verse is NOT what the WHOLE word of God TRULY teaches us.
To UNDERSTAND the TRUE meaning of this verse in John 6:29 you must understand what it means to BELIEVE on Almighty God the Father and Jesus. Please read what else Jesus said in this area of BELIEVING on him and the Father.
In Matthew 21:28-32 Jesus tells us PART of what it means to BELIEVE.
31. Whether of them twain did the WILL of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.
32. For John came unto you in the way of RIGHTEOUSNESS, and you BELIEVED him NOT: but the publicans and the harlots BELIEVED him: and you, when you had seen it, repented not afterward, that you might BELIEVE him."
So here we see that BELIEVING requires REPENTANCE! For a true Biblical understand of what TRUE repentance is please read the study entitled "TRUE BIBLICAL REPENTANCE" You see, one must WORK the WORK of God and DO the WILL of God, which is to walk in RIGHTEOUSNESS in order to OBTAIN eternal life in the world to COME. One must not ONLY SAY or CONFESS that they are a Christian, but they MUST also LIVE their life in OBEDIENCE to the word of God, the gospel, the word of TRUTH.
In Mark 1:1-5 we see the BEGINNING of the GOSPEL of
Jesus being preached by John the Baptist. WHAT was the GOSPEL that John preached?
Then after John is imprisoned Jesus continues to preach this SAME GOSPEL of REPENTANCE in Mark 1:14,15.
Jesus goes on to preach and teach to us in John 12:46-48.
So the, what are some of the WORDS that Jesus HIMSELF spoke to us? I want to take a CLOSE look at John 14:12-15, which asks us the question do we REALLY and TRULY BELIEVE on Jesus.
"Verily, verily (or Truly, truly), I say unto you, He that BELIEVES on me, the WORKS that I do shall he (every on that BELIEVES on Jesus, the WORKS that Jesus did shall YOU) do ALSO; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
13. And whatsoever you shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14. If you shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
15. If you LOVE me, KEEP my commandments."
Then a few verses later, in John 14:23,24, Jesus goes on to preach and teach to us his GOSPEL.
"Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man LOVE me, he WILL KEEP my WORDS: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
24. He that loves me NOT keeps NOT my sayings: and the word which you hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me."
Can you not see my dear brothers and sisters in the Lord, that we PROVE whether or not we TRULY LOVE Almighty God the Father and his Son Jesus by not only what we SAY, but even more so by WHAT we DO. If we keep not the WORDS of Jesus we show the Lord that we do not love him. Yes, these are hard words I know, but it is because I love you that I write to you this word of TRUTH, the GOSPEL of your salvation. Therefore if you want to OBTAIN eternal life in the world to come, then you MUST PROVE your love for God by DOING the WORKS that he CALLED you to DO, and one of these WORKS is to LIVE your lives WITHOUT SIN. Please read 1 Peter 2:21,22 which clearly teaches us that we are CALLED to FOLLOW the STEPS of Jesus who did NO SIN.
"For EVEN HEREUNTO were you CALLED: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an EXAMPLE, that you should FOLLOW his STEPS (and WHAT were the STEPS of Jesus that he left us as an EXAMPLE to FOLLOW? The answer is in the very next verse):
22. Who did NO SIN, neither was guile found in his mouth:"
Remember the WORDS of Jesus in John chapter 14 where plainly taught us that ANY ONE who BELIEVES on him the WORKS that he DID they shall do ALSO. So then, do YOU BELIEVE on Jesus? If you TRULY BELIEVE and you TRULY LOVE Almighty God the Father and his Son Jesus, then you will FOLLOW the STEPS of Jesus and DO the WORKS that Jesus DID. and you WILL LIVE your life WITHOUT SIN. For a deeper understanding on HOW to live your life WITHOUT SIN please read the study entitled "HOW TO LIVE YOUR LIFE FREE FROM SIN" Also please read the study entitled "THE POWER AND AUTHORITY OF THE BELIEVER", which will guide you to the tools you need to EMPOWER you to be an OVER COMER and ENDURE unto the END to be saved and obtain eternal life. Don't REJECT these WORDS of Jesus that he said would JUDGE you in the last day.
But for now let us continue this study in God's word to learn what the WHOLE word of God has to say about WORKS being a CONDITION that MUST be met in ORDER to OBTAIN ETERNAL LIFE in the world to come?
In Titus 1:16 we read of the Jews that profess that they know God, but their WORKS say otherwise. The same is true with some Christians today. They SAY that they are Christians, they SAY that they LOVE God, they SAY the they are SAVED, but their WORKS deny that they serve God.
Now again, if you attend a church where the FOCUS and majority of the teaching is on SALVATION being a FREE GIFT of God that NO man can EARN by doing WORKS, then you may be thinking right now that I am a FALSE teacher that is trying to teach a WORKS based salvation and that we are SAVED by our OWN WORKS of RIGHTEOUSNESS. And IF this is my intent, then you word be correct in calling me a FALSE teacher. HOWEVER, this is NOT at all what I am teaching, but rather I am just giving you the WHOLE word of TRUTH so that you can weigh ALL the evidence for YOURSELF. Therefore, before you JUDGE in yourself whether or not I am teaching you the TRUTH, or whether or not I am false teacher in your eyes I implore you to here the WHOLE matter as Proverbs 18:12,13 teaches us.
I beseech you my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ
to HEAR the WHOLE MATTER before you draw your OWN conclusion. With
that being said, let us continue this study in God's word by take a
CLOSE look at the letters to the 7 CHURCHES in the book of Revelation
where Jesus HIMSELF is telling John WHAT to write to these TRUE BORN
AGAIN BELIEVERS who have called upon the name of our Lord Jesus
Christ as their SAVIOR. I want you pay very CLOSE attention as to how much Jesus focuses of the WORKS of a BELIEVER as you read these verses in the word of God.
Please read Revelation 2:2 which teaches us about those who SAY they are apostles or in other words, who SAY that they are Christians, but ACCORDING to their WORKS they are FOUND to be LIARS.
"I know you WORKS, and your LABOR, and your patience, and how you can not bear them which are evil: and you hast tried them which SAY they are apostles, and are NOT, and has FOUND them LIARS:"
Now up to this point Jesus is praising this church for their GOOD WORKS and how they cannot bear those that are SINNERS, and even how they have exposed those that SAY that they are apostles, but in TRUTH they are NOT true representatives of Jesus Christ, but rather FALSE teachers or LIARS.
However, even thought Jesus sees the GOOD WORKS he ALSO sees where they are LACKING and how they have FALLEN from the WORK that they did at the beginning, or at the first when they first became believers and followers of Jesus Christ and WARNS them to REPENT. Let us continue with Revelation 2:3-5 which says,
Sometimes I think we just read right over these kind of passages of scripture pretending that they do NOT apply to US the CHURCH forgetting that they are the VERY WORDS of Jesus SPECIFICALLY written to the CHURCH. Remember what you read earlier that Jesus said, the WORDS that I speak to you THEY, my WORDS shall JUDGE you.
Now you can DO what you desire, but as for ME I am going to keep reading and DOING what Jesus said to DO.
Please keep in mind that Jesus WARNS us over and over that ONLY they that OVERCOME shall RECEIVE ETERNAL LIFE in the world to come, and THEY who do NOT overcome will NOT receive eternal life, but rather will be cast out into outer darkness.
Here is what Jesus says about OVERCOMING to the first church that is doing pretty much everything right except ONE thing, they have LEFT off their first love and have FALLEN and therefore have need to REPENT.
Please read Revelation 2:7
Then in Revelation 2:9-11 we read again how Jesus
praises this second CHURCH on their GOOD WORKS, but gives them the
WARNING that ONLY those found to FAITHFUL unto DEATH and have
OVERCOME shall RECEIVE ETERNAL LIFE, and THEN and ONLY then shall they shall be SAVED
where NO man can PLUCK them OUT of the Father's hand. Can you not see
my dear brothers and sisters in the Lord that we MUST without fail
ENDURE unto the END in order to RECEIVE our REWARD of ETERNAL LIFE, and then AFTER we receive eternal life in the world to COME and THEN no man shall be able to pluck us out of the Fathers hand.
10. Fear none of those things which you shall suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that you may be tried; and you shall have tribulation ten days: be you FAITHFUL unto death, and I will give you a crown of life.
The word of God CLEARLY and PLAINLY teaches us that we do NOT actually RECEIVE or OBTAIN ETERNAL LIFE UNTIL the world to COME and then it is only AFTER we are found to be FAITHFUL unto death or until Jesus comes again which ever may come first that we are given the RIGHT to the tree of life. Please read Mark 10:30 which PLAINLY shows us as to WHEN we ACTUALLY receive ETERNAL LIFE.
" But he shall RECEIVE an hundredfold NOW in this time (speaking of this lifetime in this PRESENT world), houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and IN the world to COME ETERNAL LIFE."
Now the question becomes WHO shall RECEIVE these REWARDS? Please read this verse in the CONTEXT where it is found to learn WHO the THEY are that shall RECEIVE eternal life in the world to COME. Here is Mark 10:17-30 the CONTEXT of verse 30, where a man ask Jesus WHAT must he DO in ORDER to RECEIVE eternal life and Jesus gives US the answer.
21. Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing you LACK: go your way, sell whatsoever you have, and give to the poor, and you shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and FOLLOW me.
27. And Jesus looking upon them said, With MEN it is impossible (in other words, in your OWN STRENGTH it is NOT possible to do ALL that God requires of us to DO), but NOT with God: for WITH God ALL things are possible (including living your life WITHOUT SIN).
29. And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that has left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,
Now some of you may be questioning whether are not you are truly saved. You may be ASTONISHED at these WORDS of Jesus just as the disciple of Jesus were astonished out of measure by these WORDS of Jesus. But let me assure you that IF your DESIRE is to be SAVED and receive eternal life in the world to come, then you are headed in the right direction. As I said early on in this study that I would get to WHAT it TRULY means to be SAVED and I have not forgotten that I said this, and I will get to this point after we have finished looking at the book of Revelation and the WORDS of Jesus that shall JUDGE us, which speak of things concerning WORKS in relation to OBTAINING ETERNAL LIFE in the world to COME.
We have already read the WARNING that Jesus gave to the first two of the seven CHURCHES, so let us read in Revelation 2:12- what WARNING Jesus gives the third CHURCH which is in Pergamos.
13. I know WORKS, and where you dwell, even where Satan's seat is: and you hold fast my name, and have not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwells.
14. BUT I have a few things against you, because you have there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
17. He that has an ear, let him HEAR what the Spirit says unto the CHURCHES; To him that OVERCOMES will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knows saving he that receives it."
Now in this CHURCH we see that some who are HOLDING FAST to the TRUTH, but yet there are SOME that are present IN this church or who are a part of this congregation of believers, but hold NOT in the truth, but rather have the doctrines of devils. Now while Jesus may not come and fight against those who are HOLDING FAST to the word of TRUTH he STILL has somewhat AGAINST them, because they ALLOW these FALSE doctrines among them. The word of God has a lot to say about us WARNING our brothers and sisters in the Lord about the deception of sin. And while we ourselves may not lose our salvation because THEY who do not hold fast there still seems to be some accountability on our part, unless of course we WARN them of the danger of hold to these doctrines of devils. Perhaps we will get to this point again, but for now let us read about the fourth CHURCH in Revelation 2:18-
"And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write ; These things saith the Son of God, who has his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;
20. Notwithstanding I have a few things against you, because you suffer that woman Jezebel, which calls herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
Are you starting to see a pattern here my dear brothers and sisters in the Lord? Whether or not we RECEIVE the REWARD of ETERNAL LIFE is based upon whether or not we OVERCOME ! How many times did your read the word "WORKS" in relation to RECEIVING what Jesus PROMISED us in just these few passages of scripture? So HOW can anyone say and teach that WORKS have NOTHING to do with whether a person is SAVED and shall receive ETERNAL LIFE or not, because of a few verses that SEEM to imply that we are NOT SAVED by WORKS, when we have all these OTHER witnesses in the word of TRUTH that CLEARLY teach us that if we do NOT KEEP the WORDS of Jesus and DO the WORKS that Jesus DID, then we will NOT obtain eternal life in the world to COME.
Let us keep on read these verses that clearly show the VITAL importance of DOING GOOD WORKS of RIGHTEOUS in ORDER to be ACCOUNTED WORTHY to partake of the tree of ETERNAL LIFE.
In Revelation 3:1- Jesus WARNS the fifth CHURCH with these WORDS.
"And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things says he that has the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know your WORKS, that you have a name that you live (or you SAY that you are a Christian), and art DEAD.
3. Remember therefore how you have received and heard, and hold fast, and REPENT. If therefore you shall NOT WATCH, I will come on YOU (those Christians who are NOT WATCHING and KEEPING the WORKS of Jesus) as a THIEF, and you shall NOT know what hour I will come upon you.
4. You have a FEW names even in Sardis which have NOT defiled their garments; and THEY (speaking of ONLY those Christians who have NOT DEFILED their garments with SIN) shall walk with me in white: for THEY (again ONLY those Christians who are living WITHOUT SIN when they die or when Jesus comes again) are WORTHY.
If these WORDS of Jesus are not PLAIN and simple enough to understand, then I do not quite know how to get you to take a CLOSER look at WHAT it TRULY means to be SAVED!
Jesus said I will NOT BLOT OUT the name of those that
OVERCOME, but what about those who do NOT OVERCOME and fall into SIN
and DIE in their SIN, will Jesus say to them WELL DONE my GOOD and
FAITHFUL servant, ENTER into the joy of your Lord, OR will he say to
those who WORK INIQUITY and CRY unto him LORD, LORD, have we not DONE
many mighty works in your name! And Jesus will answer them that have SIN in their life when they die or when he comes DEPART from me your WORKERS of
INIQUITY. Surely you have read these WORDS of Jesus before that Jesus WARNS you that they shall JUDGE you in the last day. If you have, then read them again, if not then read them now. Here are SOME of the WORDS of Jesus that shall JUDGE us in the last day. Luke 13:23-28 where Jesus says,
25. When once the master of the house is risen up, and has shut to the door, and you begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence you are:
28. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out (if so be that you do NOT heed these WARNINGS of Jesus to KEEP SIN OUT of your LIFE. This is NOT an OPTION, but rather a REQUIREMENT in order to OBTAIN ETERNAL LIFE and NOT to be CAST OUT into outer darkness)."
Perhaps this teaching you are reading is not the gospel you are used to hearing, but I assure you it is the word of TRUTH, the GOSPEL of YOUR SALVATION that will work in you ETERNAL LIFE if you FOLLOW the WORDS of Jesus, rather than following the traditions and doctrines of men.
Jesus goes on with further WARNING to the sixth CHURCH in Revelation 3:8-13 to HOLD FAST so that NO MAN TAKE from us OUR CROWN of ETERNAL LIFE that is promised to us.
9. Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which SAY they are Jews, and are NOT, but do LIE; behold, I will make them to come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you (WHY?).
10. BECAUSE you have KEPT the WORD of my patience, I also will keep you from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world (speaking of the WRATH of Almighty God and NOT the time of great tribulation), to try them that dwell upon the earth.
12. Him that OVERCOMES will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
In the light of this passage of scripture that CLEARLY and PLAINLY WARNS us to HOLD FAST so that NO MAN TAKE our CROWN of eternal life from us along with many other passages of scripture that WARN us about the DECEITFULNESS of SIN lest ANY one of FALL from the grace of God, then HOW can anyone HONESTLY teach that once a person accepts Jesus as their savior, then from that moment on they can in NO way EVER LOSE their SALVATION no matter what, and then make the claim that they may lose some of their rewards, but they themselves are ETERNALLY SAVED. They cannot! Unless they are ignorant of these passages of scripture or they choose to ignore them and try explain them away. For those who teach these false doctrines of devils I pray that they take a CLOSER look at the WHOLE word of God for even their very salvation depends upon OBEDIENCE to the word of TRUTH and NOT their following the traditions and doctrine of men.
Just a couple more passages of scripture here in the book of Revelation and then I will explain to you WHAT it TRULY means to be SAVED.
18. I counsel you to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that you may be rich; and white raiment, that you may be clothed, and that the shame of your nakedness do not appear; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.
Revelation 14:13 along with Ezekiel 33: teaches us that
AFTER we die we shall be JUDGED by the WORKS that we were PRESENTLY
DOING WHEN WE DIED whether our LAST DEEDS were GOOD or our last WORKS
were EVIL in God's eyes, we ALL shall be JUDGED ACCORDING to our WORKS.
13. And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die IN the Lord from henceforth: Yea, says the Spirit, that they may rest from their LABORS; and their WORKS do follow them."
Then in Ezekiel 33:1-19 we read,
6. But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.
8. When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, you shall surely die; if you dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at YOUR hand.
11. Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn you from your evil ways; for why will you die, O house of Israel?
12. Therefore, you son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the RIGHTEOUS shall NOT deliver him IN the DAY of his TRANSGRESSION: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall NOT fall thereby IN the DAY that he TURNS from his wickedness; neither shall the RIGHTEOUS be able to LIVE for his RIGHTEOUSNESS IN the DAY that he SINS.
13. When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousness shall not be remembered; BUT for his INIQUITY that he has committed, he shall die for IT (referring to the SIN that a true born again Christian has committed and has NOT REPENTED of he or she shall DIE for that SIN. In other words, even a true born again Christian who DIE while living in SIN shall NOT inherit ETERNAL LIFE in the world to COME, but shall be cast out into out darkness and then in the resurrection at the end of the 1000 year reign they shall be JUDGED ACCORDING to their WORKS and their NAME will be BLOTTED OUT of the book of life and they shall be cast into the lake of fire, which is the second death. BE NOT DECEIVED!).
In Ezekiel 18:20-32 we see this same WARNING to the
RIGHTEOUS people of God to NOT SIN, because if the DIE in their SIN,
then they shall surely DIE and NOT inherit ETERNAL LIFE. BE NOT DECEIVED about this word of TRUTH my dear brothers and sisters in the Lord for it is the GOSPEL of YOUR SALVATION, IF SO BE that you OBEY this word of TRUTH and ENDURE unto the END as Jesus WARNED you.
"The soul that SINS, it shall DIE. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
24. BUT when the RIGHTEOUS (or when the true born again Christian) TURNS AWAY from his RIGHTEOUSNESS, and COMMITS INIQUITY, and does according to all the abominations that the wicked man does, shall he live? All his righteousness that he has done shall NOT be mentioned: IN his TRESPASS that he hath trespassed, and in his SIN that he hath SINNED, IN THEM shall he DIE.
30. Therefore I will JUDGE you, O house of Israel, every one ACCORDING to his ways (whether the person's LAST DEEDS were RIGHTEOUS, or whether a person's LAST DEEDS were WICKED, every person will be JUDGED by there LAST DEEDS that they have DOEN when they DIED), says the Lord GOD. REPENT, and TURN YOURSELVES from ALL your transgressions; so iniquity shall NOT be your RUIN.
3:20,21 commands us to WARN the RIGHTEOUS man NOT to SIN. So I am WARNING you NOT to SIN and for you to learn HOW to live your live FREE from SIN
"AGAIN, When a RIGHTEOUS man does TURN from his righteousness, and COMMITS INIQUITY, and I lay a stumbling block before him, he shall die: (WHY?) BECAUSE you have NOT given him WARNING, he shall die IN his SIN, and his righteousness which he has done shall NOT be remembered; but his blood will I require at YOUR hand.
I have been mocked by those who say and teach that a RIGHTEOUS man CANNOT become UNRIGHTEOUS, because we have been given the GIFT of the RIGHTEOUSNESS of God. I know the passage of scripture that SEEMS to say this, but again this NOT the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God. To me the word of God leaves no doubt in my mind that no matter WHO you are whether a TRUE BORN AGAIN child of God or a sinner who has not yet come to the knowledge of the truth to accept Jesus as your savior, IF you SIN and you DIE IN your SIN you shall DIE and shall NOT inherit ETERNAL LIFE in the world to COME.
One of the last things spoken to us in the book of Revelation is this WARNING for Jesus in Revelation 22:11-15 which says,
12. And, behold, I come quickly (in a moment and in a twinkling of and eye, like a flash of lightning. in other words, NO time to REPENT); and my REWARD is with me, to give every man ACCORDING as his WORK shall be.
14. Blessed are THEY that DO his commandments (WHY?), THAT (so that, or INORED THAT) THEY (referring to ONLY THOSE that are DOING the COMMANDMENTS of Almighty God when they die or when Jesus comes again) may have RIGHT to the tree of LIFE (or may be ACCOUNTED WORTHY to OBTAIN ETERNAL LIFE because they have KEPT the commandments of God), and may ENTER in through the gates into the CITY.
With all that you have just read are you still going to maintain that you do NOT have to live a HOLY life before Almighty God in order to be saved and see God based upon a few verses that some preacher has TAUGHT you means that we are NOT saved by WORKS lest any man should BOAST. If so, then what will do you do with the REST of God's holy word of TRUTH? Will you simply REJECT these WORDS of Jesus? Again I say, will you just blatantly ignore what you have just read and reject the WORDS of Jesus which he said will be what JUDGES you in the last day?
I have a better way. Why not take a CLOSER look at WHAT being SAVED TRULY means so that ALL the verses in the Bible will fit snugly together to give you the TRUE picture of WHAT being SAVED truly means, because trust me when I tell you that we have only scratched the surface in this study of God's word on WHAT the WHOLE word of God teaches us that we MUST DO in order to be SAVED and OBTAIN ETERNAL LIFE in the world to COME.
Please read the study entitled "HOW CAN I BE SAVED
!" for the answer to WHAT being SAVED TRULY MEANS. Some other studies that will guide you on your quest for the TRUTH are here on my web site at AMatterOfTRUTH.com please check the menu box to the left at to top of each study.
Thanks for reading and may God bless you richly as you CONTINUE in his word of TRUTH. I highly suggest you also read the study entitled "HOW TO LIVE FREE FROM SIN !"
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE