WHAT IS SPEAKING IN TONGUES?
What does speaking in other tongues or in an unknown tongue mean? In other words, is what we see and hear Christians do and speak in many Pentecostal and Charismatic churches of today the speaking in tongues found in the Bible in the early church?
Now I can not say what is happening in ALL churches all over the world and neither can anyone else for no one has ever attended each and every single church in the entire world. Perhaps there may be some who have attended each and every DENOMINATION, but not every church in each and every denomination teaches the exact same things, so it is impossible to say that ALL churches who speak in tongues today is OF the DEVIL and NOT of God as some dogmatically demand in their ignorance whereby they are in danger of hell fire for BLASPHEMING the Holy Spirit.
I say this with STERN WARNING, because of the words of Jesus warning the Jews, who falsely accused him of casting out devils by the power of the devil and NOT BELIEVING that Jesus did the works he did THROUGH the eternal Holy Spirit of Almighty God who dwelt in him. Please read Matthew 12:22-32 along with Mark 3:22-30, but I will only quote the last two verses, because Matthew and Mark are saying the same thing but a little differently in the last two verses.
“Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spoke and saw.
23. And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?
24. But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow does not cast out devils, but BY Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
25. And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
26. And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
27. And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
28. But if I cast out devils BY the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
29. Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.
30. He that is NOT WITH me is AGAINST me; and he that gathers not WITH me scatters abroad. (In other words, if what one teaches is NOT in line WITH the teachings of Jesus and the NEW Testament teachings taught to the disciples of Jesus, then those teachings are AGAINST Jesus and the TRUTH of the whole word of Almighty God the Father himself.)
31. Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the BLASPHEMY against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32. And whosoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: BUT whosoever speaks against the Holy Ghost,(which is Almighty God the Father himself who was doing the casting out of devils DWELLING IN his Son) it shall NOT be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.”
Now read Mark 3:29,30 which sheds a little more light on what NOT EVER FORGIVEN for BLASPHEMING the Holy Spirit means.
“But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:
30. Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.”
Here in these verses we learn that those who BLASPHEME the Holy Spirit are in danger of ETERNAL DAMNATION, which is the SECOND death of being cast into the lake of fire on the day of JUDGMENT. So for ME, I myself will NOT never JUDGE a fellow Christian and say that they are OF the DEVIL and NOT of God, when they speak in other tongues, for the Bible ITSELF clearly, and plainly teaches us that it is the Holy Spirit who gives the UTTERANCE or the words for Christians to speak when they are filled with the Holy Spirit. Therefore to teaches that ALL speaking of other tongues in the church today is OF the DEVIL and NOT of God is saying exacting what verse 30 is teaching us NOT to do, because saying that the Christians who speak in tongues have an UNCLEAN spirit who is giving them the utterance of other tongues is to BLASPHEME Almighty God the Father HIMSELF who dwells IN these Christians who are speaking in other tongues AS the HOLY SPIRIT is GIVING them the utterances of these unknown tongues.
Please read Acts 2:4, which leaves NO doubt to ME that it is the Holy Spirit who gives the UTTERANCE of speaking in other tongues to Christians who are filled with the Holy Spirit.
“ And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to SPEAK with OTHER TONGUES, AS the SPIRIT GAVE then UTTERANCE.”
The utterance here is speaking of the words to speak that are UNKNOWN words to those Christians being FILLED with the holy Spirit who are speaking these utterances of OTHER TONGUES that the Holy Spirit himself GIVES to them to speak. And the words "OTHER tongues" means the word of another language that the believer does not know but yet speaks as if they do know this other language. What I mean by this is that the Christian who is SPEAKING in this other language that he of she does NOT know or understand that another person MAY know and understand what they are saying, BECAUSE it is their language or they have learn that language. I say MAY because sometimes particularly IN the church service the OTHER TONGUES that are spoken are languages of MEN being spoken TO men where someone IN the congregation will indeed UNDERSTAND this language being spoke TO THEM. However, NOT ALL speaking in other tongues are spoken to MEN, but rather they are spoken TO God which we will see in a moment from the Bible.
So then, speaking in other tongues in the Bible means speaking in ANY OTHER language that the believer who is filled with the Holy Spirit does NOT know or has NOT learned by MAN, but rather that language is GIVEN to them to speak BY the Holy Spirit HIMSELF and NOT by the devil as some FALSELY teach saying that these Christians are just BABBLING making no sense whatsoever.
To this I say WHO are YOU to say that BABBLING is NOT any language. Do you KNOW EVERY language in the entire world? Do you KNOW every language of the ANGELS? Do you KNOW how to speak ancient Hebrew, which some believe is God's LANGUAGE and is really not known for sure as to the sound it gives when spoken. I mean know one knows for sure even how to pronounce God's name let alone speak HIS LANGUAGE fluently whether it be ancient Hebrew or some OTHER TONGUE never known to mankind. So HOW do you know that this BABBLING is not GOD'S language or a language of the ANGELS?
The Bible ITSELF teaches us that those who speak in OTHER TONGUES speak unto God and NOT unto MEN, but speak unto GOD himself in mysteries or divine secrets. So HOW do you KNOW that these BABBLING in OTHER TONGUES are NOT being spoken unto God and NOT unto MEN?
Please read 1 Corinthians 14:2, which clearly and plainly teaches us in SIMPLICITY that when a Christian speaks in an unknown or other tongues that they do NOT speak unto MEN, but rather they speak unto God in mysteries or is secrets.
“For he that speaks in an unknown tongue speaks NOT unto MEN, but unto God: for NO man UNDERSTANDS him; howbeit IN the SPIRIT he speaks mysteries.”
Well if NO man can possible UNDERSTAND this kind of OTHER TONGUES, then that means that NOT ALL other tongues are HUMAN LANGUAGES seeing that NO man can UNDERSTAND these UNKNOWN TONGUES spoken TO God and NOT to man in mysteries or divine secrets as some Bibles translate these words.
I have heard some Christians dogmatically demand that speaking is other or unknown tongues is NOT for today and what we hear and see in Pentecostal Charismatic tongue talking churches today is OF the DEVIL and NOT of God, because THEY themselves cannot UNDERSTAND their BABBLING.
But what what does the Bible ITSELF teach us about BABBLING or speaking with STAMMERING lips? Please read Isaiah 28:9-12, which teaches us that while we are speaking in other tongues and stammering or babbling lips TO God and NOT unto MEN that Almighty God is TEACHING us or our spirits revelation of his word or showing us things to come ro what he has need for us to pray and make intercession.
“Whom shall he (Almighty God) TEACH knowledge? And whom shall he make to UNDERSTAND doctrine? THEM that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
10. For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
11. For WITH stammering lips (or babbling) and ANOTHER TONGUE will he speak to this people.
12. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith you may cause the weary to rest; and this is the REFRESHING: yet they would NOT hear.”
Yes SOME Christian will NOT hear the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God, and therefore they will have ERROR in what they teach NOT UNDERSTANDING the doctrine that God himself teaches us through the Holy Spirit DWELLING IN us and that every time we speak TO God in unknown tongues HE speaks to us as well in our spirit. Our mind may be clueless as to what we speak TO God and even at the time our minds may not understand what God speaks to us, but our spirit knows and we gain UNDERSTANDING of God's word.
Also just as a BABY babbles while LEARNING how to speak FLUENTLY as they GROW and keep on learning, so is it the same with SOME BABES in Jesus Christ. Some Christians when they are filled with the Holy Spirit speak FLUENTLY right away. Where other Christians take years before they mature past the "BABY" babbling in other tongues. Fro ME it was a week or more before ther babbling in other tongues became more fluent. And it was months later before I began to speak in KNOWN languages of MEN that I RECOGNIZED as Chinese, German, Russian, Spanish, but SOME languages I spoke for weeks without recognizing them as a HUMAN language. I remember one quite well THINKING in myself that it sounded SO ridiculous to ME that I almost believed the LIE of the devil to STOP speaking it. But by FAITH I kept praying in this absolutely ridiculously sounding language until I got that VICTORY that I will tell you more about at the end of this study in God's word. After experiencing that victory I never spoke in THAT language again even to this very day some forty years later. To make a long story short I was watching a national Geographic program about Australia and their were some native bushmen speaking in their own language and in an instant I RECOGNIZED it is that BABBLING language I had been speaking the past few weeks. God chose to REVEAL that language that to MY ear sounded ridiculous and my FLESH wanted to STOP praying in what seemed to be BABBLING to ME.
Satan was lying in my ear saying, you are just making those word up, you are just making baby jiberish, you are not praying in other, tongues. Nothing but constant thoughts of DOUBT being brought to me by the devil, but I stood fast BELIEVING God's word that he would NOT give me a SERPENT or evil spirit when I asked for his Holy Spirit. We will cover this verse shortly, but for now HOW do you KNOW that all tongues spoken in every church in the entire world is OF the DEVIL and NOT OF God? WHY do you dogmatically demand that ALL the gifts of the Holy Spirit have CEASED with the death of the last apostle John and or the completing of the NEW Testament? WHY do YOU FEAR yielding to Almighty God to receive such a POWERFUL and most beneficial GIFT that Jesus commanded his disciples to WAIT in Jerusalem until they were BAPTIZED with the Holy Spirit. And why do you DENY that speaking in OTHER TONGUES is NOT the sign or evidence given to us for us to KNOW that we and others have been BAPTIZED in the Holy Spirit as Jesus commands?
Many of us know that when we have gone through a DROUGHT that RAIN is REFRESHING. The Bible likens the early spring RAIN and the later fall RAIN to the pouring out of the Holy Spirit a time of REFRESHING that we just read about in Isaiah 28:9-12. Israel hand gone some 400 years without hearing from God. So they were experiencing a DROUGHT of God's WORD. Thus the EARLY rain spoken of in the Bible is speaking of the Day of Pentecost and the LATER rain speaks of the SECOND coming of Jesus when the REMNANT of Israel shall receive to pouring out of the Holy Spirit upon them and the church experienced during the EARLY rain of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost. Also at the time of the outpouring of the LATER rain of the Holy Spirit the church will experience a REVIVAL of the EARLY rain of the Holy Spirit to those who ASK, SEEK and BELIEVE for this time of REFRESHING rain of the Holy Spirit in the latter days.
Let us begin with Hosea 6:3.
“Then shall we know, if we follow on to KNOW the LORD (NOT meaning just having knowledge of God, but rather INTIMATELY KNOWING God): his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto US (who are intimately KNOW God his holy Spirit will come upon) as the RAIN, as the latter AND former RAIN unto the earth.”
Again RAIN is a time of REFRESHING so God coming to us is a time of REFRESHING likened to the latter and the former RAIN or the latter and the early rain.
Now let us read Joel 2:23.
“Be glad then, you children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for he has given you the former rain (speaking of the pouring out of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost) moderately, and he will cause to come down for you the RAIN (speaking prophetically of the out pouring of teh Holy Spirit), the former rain, AND the latter rain in the first month.”
The first month on the Jewish calendar is in the spring of the year, which is our months of March and April. This verse is speaking of a time of REFRESHING referring to both the FORMER and the latter RAIN, which again is prophesying of outpouring of the Holy Spirit in the last days. The LAST days BEGAN with Jesus. read Hebrews 1:1 where were our taught that in days of old God spoke to man by his prophets but in these LAST DAYS has spoken unto us by his SON. So then from other verses in Joel and Hosea we know that the LATTER rain will be poured out AT the second coming of Jesus where God will pour out his Spirit upon the remnant of Israel at the coming of Jesus. BUT this verse also speaks of a REVIVAL of the former rain as well upon the CHURCH that was poured out on the Day of Pentecost in the early church as the EARLY RAIN, which brought REFRESHING to those who BELIEVED that Jesus was indeed the one PROPHESIED to come.
Now some say that this REVIVAL of the FORMER rain upon the CHURCH began at Azusa street on April 9, 1906, the first month on the Jewish calendar, that began a REVIVAL that lasted till 1915. This REVIVAL of God's people being FILLED with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in OTHER TONGUES came to be called the Pentecostal movement for obvious reasons of speaking in OTHER TONGUES when Christians were filled with the Holy Spirit when the Day of PENTECOST had fully come. The meaning of the word Pentecost means the FIFTIETH day.
Please understand that this REVIVAL of being baptized with the Holy Spirit and speaking in other tongues in early 1909 is NOT to say that there was not one single Christian from the time of the first century church throughout ALL of church history who NEVER spoken in other tongues UNTIL thus REVIVAL of the former rain in April of 1909. But rather what took place in the church on April 9th, 1909 was a time of REFRESHING, a time of REVIVAL giving the church LIFE where it was slowly dying because of dead religious ceremonial traditions of men. The people were HUNGER for MORE of God. You see dear child of God, there were Christians who were ALREADY filled with the Holy Spirit who spoke in tongues before this REVIVAL who were used by God to pray and intercede for the TRUTH of God's word to be received and believed concerning being filled with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongues. There were other smaller revivals where people hunger for more of God were filled with his Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, who were praying for more revivals all over the world. It only takes a FEW who are willing to humble themselves and PRAY.
If you read about this revival at Azusa street you will see that the first sermon Brother William Seymour gave to those in the city Los Angeles California where the revival began was NOT received, because what he taught went against what THEIR own church DENOMINATION taught, which was that sanctification and being filled with the Holy Spirit were one and the same experience. Here is a quote from an article written on the history of the Azusa street revival.
“For his first Sunday morning sermon Seymour boldly preached on the text in Acts 2:4, preaching in no uncertain terms that ‘tongues’ were the evidence of the true baptism with the Holy Spirit. Without this ‘evidence’ no one could claim that he or she had been baptized in the Spirit. Unfortunately this was not part of the accepted teachings of the holiness movement, which generally taught that sanctification and the baptism with the Holy Spirit were the same experience, an experience that most of them claimed to have had. Seymour’s teaching was taken badly because it challenged one of the most distinctive and cherished doctrines of the holiness church.
The teaching on tongues so upset Sister Julia W. Hutchins, who founded the church, that when Seymour returned for the evening service he found the doors padlocked. Fortunately Seymour had been hosted for lunch at the home of Santa Fe Mission member, Mr. Edward Lee, who took pity on this homeless and penniless preacher and offered him temporary accommodation.”
Despite the fact that Seymour in the beginning had no results in receiving the Holy Spirit for himself or any those he prayed for to receive the Holy Spirit, but he kept on teaching in FAITH being fully convinced he was teaching the truth of God's word. He could see people were hungry to receive but still no results. So he invited a lady minister, who was filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke in other tongues from Houston, Texas where he first heard of this teaching of tongues being the evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit. You see brother Seymour was like many other Christians who wrongly believed that they already received had ALL the Holy Spirit there was when they got saved. But then he was TAUGHT the TRUTH of God's word that there is what Jesus called the BAPTISM wit the Holy Spirit. Then AFTER brother Seymour saw this truth for himself he began preaching the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongues as well. BUT not yet being filled with the Holy Spirit himself he had no success getting other filled. So he sent for someone he knew was filled with the Holy spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongues.
When she arrived that had a ten day fast and prayer meeting. Here is what happened next.
“When she arrived, Seymour announced a ten-day fast to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The entire group fasted and prayed through the weekend. On the evening of Monday, April 9, 1906, before he left for the Asberry home, Seymour stopped to pray with Edward Lee for a healing. Lee, had, earlier, related a vision he had had the night before in which the twelve apostles came to him and explained how to speak in tongues. Lee then asked Seymour to pray with him to receive the baptism with the Holy Spirit. They prayed together, and Lee immediately received and began speaking in other tongues. This was the first occasion of anyone receiving the baptism with the Holy Spirit when Seymour prayed for them.
Rushing to the meeting at the Asberry home, Seymour related what had just happened to brother Lee to the packed meeting. Lee then lifted up his hands and began to speak in other tongues. Spontaneous and passionate prayer for the baptism with the Holy Spirit broke out throughout the house. Soon their prayers were answered when “Seymour and seven others fell to the floor in a religious ecstasy, speaking with other tongues” as they received the Holy Spirit baptism.
Jennie Evans Moore, who would one day become Seymour’s wife, began to play beautiful music on an old upright piano, and to sing in what people said was Hebrew. Up until this time she had never played the piano, and although she never took a lesson, she was able to play the instrument for the rest of her life. The phenomenon of tongues and the dynamic message of a personal Pentecost was so exciting that the next night even larger crowds gathered in the street in front of the house to hear Seymour preach from a homemade pulpit on the front porch.
News traveled fast. They could hardly keep what had happened a secret neither did they have any desire to do so. God came in great waves of power and refreshing. The doors and windows were open and “they shouted three days and nights. It was Easter season. The people came from everywhere. By the next morning there was no way of getting near the house. As people came in they would fall under God’s power; and the whole city was stirred. They shouted until the foundation of the house gave way, but no one was hurt.”
Meetings at the Bonnie Brae house ran twenty-four hours a day for at least three days. People reported falling under the power of God and receiving the baptism with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of tongues while listening to Seymour preach from across the street. Groups from every culture and race began to find their way to 214, Bonnie Brae Street desperately seeking for more of God.
The crowds grew so large it became impossible to get close to the house, and the press of people who tried to get into the house became so great that the foundation collapsed, sending the front porch crashing into the steep front yard. Miraculously, no one was hurt. Within one week it became necessary to find a larger location to house the growing numbers of seekers, hungry for God.”
This is when they moved to Azusa street. You can read the rest by clicking on the link, but for now let us get back to the Holy Spirit being likened to the former and the later RAIN. Please read Zechariah 10:1.
“ASK you of the LORD RAIN in the time of the latter rain; so the LORD shall make bright clouds, and give them showers of rain, to every one grass in the field.”
This is speaking primarily to the Jews to ASK for God's Holy Spirit, but Jesus said the same thing for us to ASK God for his Holy Spirit and he will NOT give us something FALSE. We will cover these verses in a moment, but first I want to go back to the prophet Joel 2:28-32, which is the CONTEXT of Joel 3:23 that we just read above about the former and later RAIN be likened to the pouring out of the Holy Spirit, but I will quote it again.
“23. Be glad then, you children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for he has given you the FORMER RAIN moderately, and he will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, AND the latter rain in the first month. …
...28. And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will POUR OUT my SPIRIT upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
29. And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I POUR OUT my SPIRIT. (Most every Christian will agree that the FORMER RAIN of the Holy Spirit was poured out on the Day of Pentecost recorded for us in the book of Acts beginning at chapter 2:4. The rest of this two part prophecy will be fulfilled in the very last of last days at the second coming of Jesus.)
30. And I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
31. The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come. (These SIGNS in the SUN, and the MOON shall appear IMMEDIATELY AFTER the time of Great tribulation and right BEFORE the great and notable day of the Lord's WRATH poured out by his Son Jesus AT his second coming.)
32. And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD has said, and in the REMNANT whom the LORD shall call.”
This verse is speaking of two things. First it is speaking of the age of the CHURCH calling upon Jesus to be saved and given ETERNAL LIFE AT the second coming of Jesus. Secondly it is speaking of ALL who call upon God to save them when the SEE Jesus coming in WRATH, which will be TOO LATE for them to be saved, IN THAT, they will receive ETERNAL LIFE at the second coming of Jesus, because the RAPTURE of the CHURCH will have already taken place just MOMENTS before. So they will be saved, in that, they will be saved ALIVE to go into the 1000 year reign of Jesus in the MORTAL bodies. So YOU want to call upon Jesus NOW before it is too late to receive eternal life AT the second coming of Jesus.
Let us now go to Acts chapter 2 and read the entire CONTEXT of the FULFILLMENT of Joel 2:28,29.
“And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. (Jesus told his disciples to wait in Jerusalem UNTIL they be ENDUED with POWER from on high not many day hence. Jesus knew the scriptures and knew that God would pour out his Spirit on them on the feast of weeks or the feast of harvest, which was 50 days long. Jesus had already been with them forty of those fifty days showing himself alive risen from the dead.)
2. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4. And they were ALL FILLED with the Holy Ghost, and began to SPEAK with OTHER TONGUES, AS the Spirit GAVE them utterance.
5. And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
6. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. (In other words, when these Jews from every nation speaking DIFFERENT languages, but also most likely understanding or at least recognizing the language of the Galileans gather together to see and hear for themselves these other Jews being speaking in OTHER TONGUES.)
7. And they were all amazed and marveled, saying one to another, Behold, are not ALL these which SPEAK Galileans?
8. And HOW HEAR we every man in our OWN tongue, wherein we were born? (Now this was a puzzle to me for a while, because how can 120 people speak in all DIFFERENT languages at the same time and be UNDERSTOOD by anyone? I mean is a large crowd of people when EVERYONE is speaking the SAME language at the same time it is hard to make out anything that is being said. So I understand this verse to be saying that they ALL spoke in the SAME OTHER TONGUE while the hearers heard this UNKNOWN language in their OWN tongue. I am NOT dogmatic on this interpretation, but for ME it makes sense. I can also see that they all spoken in KNOWN tongues of the known world and people all over the know world who were there did indeed hear them in their OWN language wondering how these men and women ALL being Galileans spoke is SO MANY different languages. This interpretation would require them to RECOGNIZE at least, but not necessarily understand these many other languages. I am sure they all had one COMMON language in which to communicate to each other being from all over from every nation all gathered together that day in Jerusalem. No one knows for sure, because the Bible does not say. It may be that ALL teh 120 spoke ALL the different languages on right after the other. OR it may be that SOME spoke one language, while some spoke another language while yet others spoke ye another language until all 16 or 17 languages listed in the next two verse were spoken. OR again ONE unknown language was spoken and all HEARD that ONE language in their OWN tongue.)
9. Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
10. Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
11. Cretes and Arabians, we do HEAR them speak in OUR tongues the wonderful works of God.(So then, from these 16 or 17 countries there were Jews speaking the native language from each of these countries, who no doubt recognized each of the languages and knew that the 120 who were SPEAKING were ALL Galileans who would not know all these different languages that these Jews from all the known world over HEARD them speak in their OWN native language. Again this could mean that each of the 120 filled with the Holy Spirit spoke in one or more of these 16 or 17 different tongues not of their native language. OR they all spoke in one unknown tongue and they who heard this one unknown language being spoken all HEARD it in their OWN language. Either way whatever took place the 120 who were SPEAKING did not KNOW that language that they were speaking.)
12. And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What means this?
13. Others MOCKING said, These men are full of new wine. (or they are DRUNK)
14. But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, You men of Judea, and all you that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
15. For these are NOT drunken, as you SUPPOSE, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. (So then, it appears that those speaking in other tongues LOOKED s IF the were DRUNK. I mean to me it does not seem reasonable to MOCK someone simple because they are speaking ANOTHER language which you know is not their OWN language. So LOGICALLY it would appear that the 120 on the Day of Pentecost may have sounded like BABBLING to some who were hearing them speak in other tongues and falling down like men who were DRUNK. But Peter boldly said that they were NOT drunk as those witnessing this event SUPPOSED.)
16. But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
17. And it shall come to pass in the last days, said God, I will POUR OUT of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
18. And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will POUR OUT in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
19. And I will show wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke:
20. The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: (See Mathew 24:29-31 as to WHEN then SIGNS in the SUN, MOON, the STARS, and in the HEAVENS shall appear.)
21. And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
22. You men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you BY miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as you yourselves also know:
23. Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, you have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
24. Whom God has raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
25. For David speaks concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
26. Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
27. Because you will not leave my soul in hell, neither will you suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
28. You have made KNOWN to me the ways of life; you shall make me full of joy with your countenance. (Jesus knew the scripture spoke of him, because God taught him morning by morning opening his eyes to the scriptures.)
29. Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulcher is with us unto this day.
30. Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
31. He seeing this before spoke of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
32. This Jesus has God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
33. Therefore being by the right hand of God EXALTED, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he has shed forth this, which you now see and hear.
34. For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he said himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit you on my right hand,
35. Until I make your foes your footstool.
36. Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God has made that same Jesus, whom you have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
37. Now when they HEARD this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, WHAT SHALL WE DO?
38. Then Peter said unto them, REPENT (of your sins), and BE BAPTIZED (in water by submersion) every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you SHALL RECEIVE the GIFT of the Holy Ghost.
39. For the PROMISE is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. (Which should be understood as WHSOEVER answers God's call by BELIEVING on his Son Jesus is this PROMISE of RECEIVING the Holy Spirit given)
40. And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
41. Then they that gladly RECEIVED his word were BAPTIZED: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
42. And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
43. And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.”
Now while this passage of scripture does not specifically say that these three thousand new Christians were FILLED with the Holy Spirit and spoke in other tongues it should be understood the Peter was NOT a liar being FILLED with the Holy Spirit himself at the time he spoke this sermon where three thousand souls were added that one day witnessing the original 120 believers being FILLED with the Holy Spirit and SPEAKING in OTHER TONGUES that they heard in the OWN language understanding their words speaking of the marvelous wonderful works of God. For Peter spoke the TRUTH and did NOT LIE when he said that this PROMISE of being filled with the Holy Spirit is unto YOU your family and to as many as the Lord God shall CALL, which is the WHOLE human race. But ONLY THOSE who ANSWER God's call of the gospel to be saved will be able to RECEIVE the INDWELLING of the Holy Spirit, because the Holy Spirit will NOT DWELL in an UNCLEAN temple. You see, those JEWS who witnesses this event did NOT receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit UNTIL they believed on Jesus. Again Peter was speaking about RECEIVING this GIFT of the Holy Spirit that is PROMISED to all who BELIEVE on Jesus so logically we can assumed that those hearing this sermon were EXPECTING to RECEIVE the GIFT of the Holy Spirit and SPEAK in other tongues like those they just WITNESSED.
Let us go through ALL the passages of the scriptures where believers in Jesus RECEIVE the INFILLING or the BAPTISM of the Holy Spirit to see if the EVIDENCE of speaking in OTHER TONGUES was JUST for the Day of Pentecost.
Please read Acts 4:31 where we see the REFILLING of believers who have already been FILLED on the Day of Pentecost speaking in other tongues being FILLED AGAIN. Which by the way is what the Bible ITSELF teaches us to do. Be you BEING filled or be you continually filled over and over again and again to STAY filled as much as possible.
“And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all FILLED with the Holy Ghost, and they spoke the word of God with boldness.”
So one has to ask the question HOW did they KNOW that they were FILLED with the Holy Spirit. No one TODAY knows for sure, because the Bible does not specifically say that THESE particular believers SPOKE with other tongues being FILLED AGAIN. So LOGICALLY why would they NOT speak in other tongues AGAIN just like they did the FIRST time they were FILLED with the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost. I mean THINK this through for YOURSELF. we KNOW without fail that these believers were ALREADY FILLED with the Holy Spirit withe the EVIDENCE of speaking in other tongues. So they ALREADY had the Holy Spirit. So LOGICALLY it does not make sense to even mention that these believers were FILLED AGAIN unless the writer of the book of Acts was teaching us the CONNECTION of being FILLED with the Holy Spirit with the SPEAKING in OTHER TONGUES.
ALSO those of you who HAVE FILLED with the Holy Spirit who HAVE spoken in other tongues, then YOU have the personal experience and testimony that YOU speak in other tongues EACH and EVERY TIME that you are FILLED AGAIN with the Holy Spirit can TESTIFY that EVERY TIME we are FILLED with the Holy Spirit we SPEAK in OTHER TONGUES. Now the reason that the writer says that they spoke with BOLDNESS is because that is what they were ASKING God to do, to give them BOLDNESS. You see dear child of God, when YOU KNOW something then at times you ASSUME that your listeners KNOW it as well so you are NOT going to repeat every little detail that SHOULD ALREADY be obvious. And it was OBVIOUS that when these believers were FILLED with the Holy Spirit that they SPOKEN with OTHER TONGUES so it SHOULD be OBVIOUS that when they were FILLED AGAIN that they AGAIN spoke in OTHER TONGUES.
Let us move on to the next passage of scripture where we see believers filled with the Holy Spirit. Please read Acts 7:54-60 where we see Stephen being persecuted by the Jews who stone him to death being FULL of the Holy Spirit.
“When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth.
55. But he, being FULL of the Holy Ghost, looked up steadfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
56. And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.
57. Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord,
58. And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.
59. And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
60. And he knelt down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.”
So again HOW did those standing by who were believers and eyewitnesses know that Stephen was FULL of the Holy Spirit. Yes the knew he was filled with the Holy Spirit, because he was one of those seven believers FULL of the Holy Spirit chosen to minister to the widows and many most likely heard him speak in other tongues, but how did the now he was FULL of the Holy Spirit at this moment he was being persecuted?
Again no one can say for sure that Stephen spoke in other tongues while he was being inflicted with PAIN being persecuted for the sake of Jesus, because the Bible does not specifically say. BUT from my own personal experience of being in GREAT PAIN from an injury and not from being persecuted for Jesus the Holy Spirit came upon me and I spoke in OTHER TONGUES and the unbearable pain subsided to become bearable. Stephen was obviously having PAIN inflicted upon him and God not being a respecter of persons to ME no doubt FILLED Stephen EMPOWERING him the endure the pain or possibly not feeling ANY pain at all.
I heard heard testimonies of other believers being completely delivered from ALL pain while they were being persecuted and testimonies of those who witnessed others believers being martyred even burning alive having NO PAIN praising God singing in OTHER TONGUES the whole time while their flesh melted off of them.
Now those who heard on the Day of Pentecost knew that the 120 SPOKE in OTHER TONGUES because the heard them in the OWN language speak of the wonderful things of God. So these believers being burned alive praising God may have been speaking in OTHER TONGUES as well in their understanding also while those witnessing their death heard them praising God in their OWN language. Other testimonies I have heard did not mention speaking in tongues but ONLY that they were NOT in pain being martyred. AGAIN it was common knowledge, so to speak, that believers BEING FILLED with the Holy Spirit spoke in other tongues, but perhaps not common knowledge that God delivers some believers from PAIN when being martyred for Jesus so they may have known they spoke in other tongues, but chose only to testify of their NOT being in pain when they were martyred. When something becomes COMMON knowledge to us then we only point out what is NOT commonly known.
Again no one of today knows for sure, but as for ME I do KNOW that I myself have been filled with the Holy Spirit while experiencing unbearable pain and I did indeed speak in OTHER TONGUES right out in a public place for all to hear believers and unbelievers who were present heard me speaking in a language that was not my own. I was NOT TAUGHT to do this by MAN, but rather I felt to cry out to God in other tongues and his presence came upon me and the pain lessened so I could bear it.
Let us move on to the next place in the book of Acts where new believers are baptized or filled with the Holy Spirit.
Please read Acts 8:5-24
“Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them.
6. And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spoke, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did.
7. For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out of many that were possessed with them: and many taken with palsies, and that were lame, were healed.
8. And there was great joy in that city.
9. But there was a certain man, called Simon, which before time in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:
10. To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God.
11. And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries.
12. But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
13. Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
14. Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, (or that some in Samaria had BELIEVED on Jesus and were BAPTIZED in water by submersion in the name of Jesus) they sent unto them Peter and John:
15. Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might RECEIVE the Holy Ghost: (Now Philip was a believer who was no doubt filled with the Holy Spirit so WHY did he not pray for them to be FILLED with the Holy Spirit? We are not told, but it is apparent that some Christians are given the GIFT of laying on of hands and or praying for other believers to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongues. So this may be why Peter and John were sent to pray for them. Or it may be that Philip was led elsewhere by the Lord. Anyway for whatever reason Peter and John came to pray for them that they MIGHT RECEIVE the Holy Spirit)
16. (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: ONLY they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) [Again we see brand new believers who have been baptized in water in the name of Jesus and not with just the baptism of John the baptist who have not yet RECEIVED the INFILLING of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in OTHER TONGUES.]
17. Then laid they their hands on them, and they RECEIVED the Holy Ghost. (Here we see for the first time the laying on of hands for believers to be FILLED with the Holy Spirit. And it appears that the they means ALL of them RECEIVE the Holy Spirit BELIEVING the words of the prayer of Peter and John. We know that in the church TODAY people to do NOT always BELIEVE and ONLY those who BELIEVE receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit and speak in other tongues. But again HOW do we know that they at Samaria RECEIVED the Holy Spirit? Read the next verse and you will see that Simon SAW that when the apostles land their hands on them that they RECEIVED that Holy Spirit. Well the Holy Spirit cannot be SEEN so obviously Simon HEARD them speak with OTHER TONGUES, which was the VISIBLE EVIDENCE on the Day of Pentecost.)
18. And when Simon SAW that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
19. Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may RECEIVE the Holy Ghost.
20. But Peter said unto him, Your money perish with you, because you have thought that the GIFT of God may be purchased with money. (now the GIFT that Simon was trying to buy with money was the LAYING on of hands so that whosoever HE laid hands upon would RECEIVE the Holy Spirit. It is doubtful that Simon received the Holy Spirit to be filled, because the motive of his heart.)
21. You have neither part nor lot in this matter: for your heart is NOT RIGHT in the sight of God.
22. Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you.
23. For I perceive that you are in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity. (meaning that Simon loved the praise of men more than he loved God. This pride was keeping Simon to commit fully to Jesus. He want men to glorify him more than giving the glory to God and his Son Jesus)
24. Then answered Simon, and said, Pray you to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me.”
Again we are not SPECIFICALLY told that these new believers SPOKE in OTHER TONGUES, but we do know for sure that Simon SAW some visible EVIDENCE that these new believers were indeed FILLED with the Holy Spirit and the only evidence we know for sure is found in Acts 2:4 where they HEARD them SPEAK in OTHER TONGUES. So for ME, it is obvious that these new believers SPOKE IN TONGUES after RECEIVING the Holy Spirit. Let us move on to the next place where we see new believers receive the Holy Spirit. Please read Acts 9:10-18, where God sends a believer in Jesus to Saul, who is later called Paul, to heal him and pray for him to be FILLED with the Holy Spirit.
“ And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a VISION, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord.
11. And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and inquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prays, (So Saul, or Paul here is praying to God after being blinded by the great light encountering a vision of Jesus rebuking him for persecuting the church and thus persecuting Jesus himself by persecuting his body on the earth.)
12. And has seen in a vision a man named Ananias coming in, and putting his hand on him, that he might receive his sight. (so while praying Paul sees a vision from God.)
13. Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem:
14. And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on your name.(Now please understand that I am NOT teaching to QUESTION God, but rather the Bible ITSELF does teach us to TRY the spirits to see whether they are of God. Ananias had a real concern here, because this man KILLS believers in Jesus. God did not strike Ananias for question him, but rather went on to explain why he is sending Ananias to Paul)
15. But the Lord said unto him, Go your way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
16. For I will show him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.
17. And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul (Ananias calls Saul BROTHER, because Jesus has just told him in a vision that he is a chosen vessel meaning that Saul answered the CALLING of Saul to repent. So Saul is already a BELIEVER in Jesus who is OBEY what Jesus told him to do. This is why Ananias calls him BROTHER Saul) the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto you in the way as you came, has sent me, that you might receive your sight, AND be FILLED with the Holy Ghost.
18. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.”
Now it appears obvious to me that since Saul was IMMEDIATELY healed that Saul was ALSO IMMEDIATELY FILLED with the Holy Spirit AND spoken in OTHER TONGUES just like the believers on the Day of Pentecost. This verse says he was BAPTIZED, which can be interpreted he was baptized in the Holy Spirit or he was baptized in water. OR perhaps it means BOTH. I myself take it to mean that Saul was baptized in water AFTER being BAPTIZED or FILLED with the Holy Spirit when Ananias land hands on him and prayed for him to be healed. In other words, I personally believe that Saul was FILLED with the Holy Spirit the very SAME moment that he was healed of blindness. Again where is the EVIDENCE? Are we specifically told that Saul spoke in OTHER TONGUES at the very moment he was healed. This verse does not say, but we KNOW that Saul later called Paul spoke in OTHER TONGUES more than the Corinthian church. So WHEN did Paul FIRST speak in OTHER TONGUES? AGAIN it SHOULD be OBVIOUS to all believers that Paul spoke in tongue just the first 120 believers on the Day of Pentecost, which is WHEN they were FILLED with the Holy Spirit. So over and over we are seeing the CONNECTION that was OBVIOUS the the early church believers that SPEAKING in OTHER TONGUES was the EVIDENCE of being FILLED with the Holy Spirit.
Please read 1 Corinthians 14:18 where Paul is speaking teaching us that he SPEAKS in OTHER TONGUES.
“I thank my God, I speak with TONGUES more than you all:”
So again we KNOW that Paul was FILLED with the Holy Spirit, because he SPOKE in OTHER TONGUES. NO one in the BIBLE is ever said to have spoken in other tongues WITHOUT the CONNECTION of them being FILLED with the Holy Spirit as the SPIRIT gave them UTTERANCE. In fact Paul said that he would that ALL believers speak in OTHER TONGUES but in the church they should do it in an ORDERLY manner and not all at once creating confusion to the unlearned non believers who have no idea what is being said. Please read 1 Corinthians 14:1-6.
“Follow after charity, and DESIRE spiritual gifts, but rather that you may prophesy. (Speaking in tongues is a spiritual gift. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is a spiritual gift. Speaking in other tongues COMES with the BAPTISM of the Holy Spirit, It is a PACKAGE deal, so to speak. A true believer cannot speak in other tongues WITHOUT the Holy Spirit GIVING them the utterance. Paul is NOT saying for us NOT to desire the baptism of the Holy Spirit and to speak in other tongues. But rather Paul at this moment in time is TEACHING the PROPER USE of speaking in other tongues IN THE CHURCH and he is saying that PROPHESYING would be perhaps a better gift for us to use IN the CHURCH unless one seeks the gift of INTERPRETING other tongues as well. And then the tongue with the interpretation would be EQUAL to prophesy and maybe even greater in some instances. But most of all Paul is teaching us that we can have EVERY spiritual gift there is and if we have NOT LOVE then it profits us or other nothing. So Spiritual gifts can and are at times ABUSED and misused by good well meaning Christians in the church of today just as they were in the Corinthian Church of the first century And this is one of the reasons why some Christians refuse to accept the truth of the whole word of God that being FILLED with the Holy Spirit and speaking in other tongues IS INDEED for the church today. ALL the see is the ABUSE and MISUSE and thus throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. But the TRUTH of the matter is that Paul's desire was for ALL believers to SPEAK in other tongues. So like Paul I would that ALL believers SPEAK IN OTHER TONGUES as the Holy Spirit gives them utterance and be continually filled over and over with the Holy Spirit praying every day in the Holy Spirit building up your most holy faith.)
2. For he that speaks in an UNKNOWN TONGUE speaks NOT unto MEN, but unto God: for NO MAN UNDERSTANDS him; howbeit in the spirit he speaks mysteries. (one translation says he speaks divine SECRETS to God. The main point is that speaking in other tongues WITHOUT INTERPRETATION should NOT but done IN the church disrupting the TEACHING. Paul teaches that we should indeed pray in tongues IN CHURCH, but to do it QUIETLY to ourselves whispering our prays to God making intercession so we will NOT disturb the preaching and teaching of God's word.)
3. But he that prophesies speaks unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. (In other words, if a believer is moved upon by the Holy Spirit to PROPHESY during the preaching or teaching, then Paul is saying that this is alright, because others can UNDERSTAND what you are saying. Paul is NOT forbidding the speaking of tongues in church services IF the are spoken QUIETLY or one INTERPRETS so all can UNDERSTAND.)
4. He that speaks in an unknown tongue EDIFIES HIMSELF; but he that prophesies edifies the church. (So again Paul is saying IN THE CHURCH we are to EDIFY OTHERS and be edified by the TEACHING and the SPIRITUAL GIFTS that EDIFY the church such as prophecy. Remember that Paul is dealing with the SPEAKING gifts at this moment in his teaching. Everything cannot be taught at the exact same time and Paul's FOCUS is one the speaking gift at this moment. So like Paul said when he was dealing with the PROPER way to partake of communion he said you have your OWN house to eat and be full. So in like manner Paul is saying STIR UP this spiritual gift that is within you to pray, sing, speak, and shout out loud in other tongues praising and magnifying God in your own homes. BUT in the CHURCH do is QUIETLY among yourselves so you do not disturb the preaching and teaching of God's word, UNLESS you give the INTERPRETATION or know that another believer is present who has the gift of INTERPRETATION. All Paul is doing here is teaching the PROPER USE of speaking in other tongues and is in no way forbidding the use of tongues in the church. Some church have SPECIAL meetings for praying and making intercession in other tongues for those who speak in tongues and for those who DESIRE the baptism of the Holy Spirit and speaking in other tongues.)
5. I would that YOU ALL spoke with tongues, but rather (in the church when teaching and preaching is the focus. Paul is saying PLEASE UNDERSTAND dear child of God that I am NOT coming down on you for speaking in other tongues. I WANT you to speak in other tongues. I DESIRE that you edify yourself praying in the Holy Spirit. I ENCOURAGE you to pray in the Holy Spirit whereby you BUILD UP you most holy faith. I speak in other tongues MORE than all of you put together. I pray in my own understanding AND I pray in the Spirit, and I WOULD that YOU ALL do the same, but IN the church we are here to edify ALL who come together. So this is why I am teaching you that IN the church I would) that you prophesied (so ALL can UNDERSTAND you): for greater is he that prophesies than he that speaks with tongues, EXCEPT he INTERPRET, that the church may receive edifying. (So here Paul is saying that tongues is equal to prophesy IN the church so long as they are INTERPRETED so ALL can understand what is being said and be EDIFIED. And as I said before tongues WITH the interpretation can be greater than prophesy in some cases. For example I have heard testimonies where ONLY tongues were given with NO interpretation and a NON believer came up to speak the one who spoke in TONGUES and asked he he KNEW what he was going through. And he answered what do you mean and he said when you stood up in church and spoke every word you said was just like it was directed to me so how do you know. Then the one who spoke in tongues said, you mean you understood what I said and he answered back why wouldn't I you were speaking my native language. And he spoke to him in his native language expecting him to understand, but he perceived right away that he was not understand a word he was speaking. So he asked him how is it that you spoke my language earlier and now you do not understand a word I am saying. Then the believer EXPLAINED speaking in other tongues was a GIFT of God as a SIGN to unbelievers. By the end of their conversation this NON believer gave his life to the Lord. Now consider a believer speaking in tongues and another believer giving the interpretation while a non believer speaks that language and wonders how BOTH knew his of her heart that NO man could possibly know yet TWO people have somehow come to know what was in his heart. Anyway Paul is saying prophesy EXCEPT your speaking in other tongues is INTERPRETED so the whole church can be edified or someone in the church can profit other than the one speaking in other tongues)
6. Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit YOU, except I shall speak to you either by revelation (meaning except I INTERPRET or I reveal to you what I am speaking to you in other tongues or what God has shown me in a dream or vision or from his word.), or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?”
Let us take a moment to look at WHY those who do NOT speak in other tongues FORBID speaking in other tongues in THEIR church denomination. I mean WHAT REASON do they give to SUPPORT such a teaching that the tongues in the church of today is OF the DEVIL and NOT of God? What SCRIPTURAL evidence do they give for dogmatically demanding that ALL the GIFTS of the Holy Spirit have CEASED with the death of the last apostle, who was John?
Here is the stand ALONE one isolated verse of scripture that they use to TRY and support that speaking in other tongues has CEASED and therefore tongues and the gifts of the Holy Spirit are NOT for the church of today.
Please read 1 Corinthians chapter 13 where Paul is teaching us about LOVE or CHARITY as it is translated in the King James Version of the Bible.
“Though I SPEAK with the TONGUES of men AND of ANGELS (So Paul is saying that he not only has been FILLED with the Holy Spirit with the EVIDENCE of speaking in OTHER TONGUES, which includes speaking in the LANGUAGE of the ANGELS and the LANGUAGE of God, but that he also has the GIFT of speaking in DIVERS tongues, which means speaking in many different LANGUAGES of men all over the world. But Paul does not stop here and goes on to say that even though he has hypothetically all the spiritual GIFTS from God), and have NOT charity (or LOVE, then), I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. (Paul is NOT actually saying that he has EVERY gift of God, but rather hypothetically saying IF or THOUGH any believer would have ALL the Gifts of the Holy Spirit and does NOT have LOVE then he or she is NOTHING, because faith WORKS by LOVE. If you do NOT have LOVE you will not WORK, you will NOT feed the poor help someone in need without LOVE the greatest gift of all)
2. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have NOT charity (or LOVE, then), I am nothing. (Paul is saying if one has ALL the gifts God has to give and he or she has NOT LOVE, then they are NOTHING, they are no profit to themselves nor to others. (So do NOT be like Simon the sorcerer who desired spiritual gift to glorify HIMSELF as if HE were something. But rather desire spiritual gifts to help OTHER for the glory of God.)
3. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have NOT charity, it profits me NOTHING.
4. Charity suffers long, and is kind; charity envies not; charity vaunts not itself, is not puffed up,
5. Does not behave itself unseemly, seeks NOT her own, is not easily provoked, thinks NO evil;
6. Rejoices not in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;
7. Bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8. Charity never fails: BUT whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease;(But WHEN will tongues cease? Keep reading the context.) whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10. But WHEN that which is PERFECT is COME, THEN that which is in part shall be done away.
11. When I was a child, I SPOKE as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but THEN face to face: now I know in part; but THEN shall I know even as also I am known.
13. And now abides faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.”
Now those who teach against speaking in other tongues INTERPRET the "WHEN that which is PERFECT COMES" as being the Bible in its written form specifically speaking of WHEN the NEW Testament was completed, because the Old Testament had already come.
However, when we truly consider the WHOLE context we see that PROPHECY shall fail AND KNOWLEDGE will pass away as well at the SAME TIME of the "WHEN that which is perfect is COME." Therefore the "WHEN that which is PERFECT is COME" cannot possibly mean the Bible or the completion of the New Testament, because the Bible ITSELF in the NEW Testament teaches us that at the very end of the last days during the time of great tribulation right before Jesus comes again God will give power to his two witnesses to PROPHESY for 1260 days or for 3 ½ years.
Please read Revelation 11:3.
“And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall PROPHESY a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.”
Also KNOWLEDGE has not passed away yet either for the Bible ITSELF in the NEW Testament teaches us that ALL scripture is good for doctrine or TEACHING, for REPROOF, for CORRECTION, and INSTRUCTION in righteousness, which is speaking of gaining more KNOWLEDGE and understanding FROM the NEW Testament. So again it is nonsensical to teach that KNOWLEDGE CEASED WHEN the NEW Testament was complete, because the New Testament gives us more knowledge and greater understanding of the Old testament.
Please read 1 Timothy 3:16,17.
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17. That the MAN of God may be PERFECT, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”
So again the INTERPRETATION of those who do NOT speak in other tongues to try and support THEIR man made doctrine simply make no sense whatsoever in the LIGHT of the WHOLE word of God. Notice in verse 17 we see the word PERFECT referring back to the MAN of God being made PERFECT. Now I suppose that one could INTERPRET the "WHEN that which is PERFECT is COME" to be the believer IN Jesus Christ when he or she reaches PERFECTION IN this PRESENT world by KNOWLEDGE from the Bible, but what Christian would ever say that they are PERFECT IN this PRESENT world, and therefore they do not NEED to be baptized with the Holy Spirit, nor do they NEED the GIFTS of the Spirit. But wait a minute. IF SO BE they INTERPRET MAN becoming PERFECT by KNOWLEDGE of the BIBLE, they still yet contradict that KNOWLEDGE passes away at the SAME time "WHEN that which is PERFECT IS COME". So MAN being PERFECT now in this PRESENT world is NOT the correct INTERPRETATION either. Besides most FALSE teaches who say they are PERFECT also say that THEY do NOT need the Bible either.
Now some interpret the "WHEN that which is PERFECT is COME" as the second coming of Jesus, which is a correct understanding, in that, WE who are believers NOW will no longer need prophesy, speaking in other tongues and to be taught of the Lord. But those who go into the 1000 year reign of Jesus IN their MORTAL body will indeed be TAUGHT of the Lord until he who is PERFECT will descend down out of heaven to tabernacle with mankind after ALL the wicked have been destroy in the lake of fire. This one who is PERFECT is of course Almighty God the Father HIMSELF. So it truth, KNOWLEDGE as being understood as the TEACHING of the LORD GOD THE ALMIGHTY who is the Father alone will NOT actually cease until AFTER the 1000 year reign of Jesus and all the WICKED have been destroyed once and for all eternity in the lake of fire. So it truth there will still yet be the INFILLING of the Holy Spirit during the 1000 year reign of Jesus and most likely speaking in other tongues as well for WHY would God CHANGE the sign of the evidence of being FILLED with the Holy Spirit in the world to come for those who will be in their MORTAL bodies?
But for US as believers in Jesus as the SON OF God NOW speaking of tongues most likely will CEASE withe the second coming of our PERFECT Lord Jesus AND with OUR being made PERFECT as well AT the second coming of Jesus. Let us move on and we will come back to this in a moment.
Certainly Paul was NOT saying that he himself was PERFECT when he said in verse 11,
“When I was a child, I SPOKE as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things”
The only reason I say that Paul was NOT saying that HE was PERFECT when he became a MATURE Christian, because some Christians INTERPRET this verse to mean that when Paul MATURED in the Lord he became PERFECT and therefore he put away speaking in other tongues, which THEY INTERPRET as being CHILDISH and NOT for MATURE Christians. But this cannot possibly be the CORRECT meaning of this verse, because in the very next chapter we STILL see Paul SPEAKING in OTHER TONGUES. So Paul is NOT saying that a MATURE Christian does NOT speak in other tongues. THINK this through for yourself dear child of God. Paul teaches us NOT to FORBID speaking in OTHER TONGUES so why would he say it is a CHILDISH thing? Even if this were a correct interpretation, which it is NOT then Paul would be saying for ALL believer to SPEAK IN OTHER TONGUE UNTIL you become a PERFECT MATURE Christian. But yet NONE of those who teach against speaking in other tongue SPEAK in other tongues. And seeing that the sign or the evidence of being FILLED with the Holy Spirit, then that means that those Christians who speak AGAINST speaking in other tongues have NOT ever been FILLED or BAPTIZED with the Holy Spirit.
Please understand that I am NOT saying that they do NOT have the INDWELLING of the Holy Spirit, but rather that they have never been FILLED to overflowing where the Holy Spirit pours out of them and UPON them and they SPEAK with other tongues. Now I am sure that some believers have ALMOST been full to overflowing feeling the awesome presence of god all over them, but the stop short by FEARING to speak in other tongues dud to what they have PREVIOUSLY been taught by their church denomination. Sometimes I wonder if it is better that a believer not be taught anything expect when I lay mys hands on you and pray you WILL be FILLED with the Holy Spirit. And then like when we lay hands on the sick and pray in the name of Jesus be you healed we WAIT and if they are not healed we keep rebuking that sickness UNTIL the receive their healing. When Jesus prayed for the blind man he ask if he could see and when he said I see men like trees Jesus prayed AGAIN until he could see CLEARLY. This reminds of the testimony of Smith Wigglesworth who went into a funeral home took a man OUT of the casket and stood him up against a wall holding him while he pray LIVE in the name of Jesus and when he let go then man fell dead on the floor. So he picked him up again and again praying the same way UNTIL the man was raised for the DEAD. So sometimes I think we give up too soon for reason of lack of FAITH.
Once again the truth of the matter is that NONE of us will be made PERFECT until we see Jesus FACE to FACE and then we shall be LIKE HIM for we shall see him as he IS, which is speaking of Jesus being IN his PERFECT glorified IMMORTAL state in whom his God and Father is well pleased.
Please read Hebrews 11:39,40 and 1 John 3:2,3.
“And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received NOT the promise:(speaking of their new glorified immortal bodies of flesh and bone like Jesus has now.)
40. God having provided some BETTER thing for us, that they WITHOUT US should NOT be made PERFECT.”
In other words, ALL believers, who have endure unto the end and are found to be that good and faithful servant in Jesus, will be made PERFECT AT the SAME TIME at the SECOND coming of Jesus WHEN that which is PERFECT is COME meaning BOTH Jesus and US for we shall be like Jesus when we SEE him as he IS.
Now read 1 John 3:2,3.
“Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it does not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall APPEAR, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. (or see him FACE to FACE)
3. And every man that has this hope in him purifies himself, even as he is pure.”
Now if Jesus himself needed to be filled with the Holy Spirit to be EMPOWER to over come sin and live his life without sin, then what makes you think that you can live your live free form sin WITHOUT being ENDUED with POWER from on high? Remember that those ENDUED with power from on high SPOKEN in OTHER TONGUES when they were FILLED with the Holy Spirit and power from on high. yes all believers have been given power in the NAME of Jesus, but the WHOLE word of God makes it pretty clear that the power of the GIFTS of the Holy Spirit are only given to those believers who have been FILLED with the Holy Spirit. My point for now is that Jesus lived his life WITHOUT SIN by or THROUGH the Holy Spirit who DWELT IN him.
Please read Hebrews 9:14.
“How much more shall the blood of Christ, who THROUGH the eternal Spirit offered himself WITHOUT spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?”
This verse is saying that Jesus himself overcame sin THROUGH the POWER of the ETERNAL Holy Spirit who DWELT IN him. And Jesus told his disciples to WAIT in Jerusalem UNTIL they be ENDUED with POWER from on high.
Please read Acts 1:1-9 and Luke 24:49.
“The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, (In other words, Jesus BEGAN to teach all that God himself would CONTINUE to teach them by the INDWELLING fullness of the Holy Spirit)
2. Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he THROUGH the Holy Ghost had given COMMANDMENTS unto the apostles whom he had chosen: (In other words, Jesus taught his disciple only what his God and Father taught him to teach. To say this another way the Holy Spirit DWELLING IN Jesus told him what to do and say and Jesus OBEYED all his god and Father commanded him to do and teach.)
3. To whom also he showed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
4. And, being assembled together with them, COMMANDED them that they should NOT depart from Jerusalem, but WAIT for the PROMISE of the Father, which, said he, you have heard of me. (So being FILLED with the Holy Spirit was NOT and OPTION with the disciple of Jesus. Yes they could have disobeyed this command of Jesus for them to tarry or wait in Jerusalem UNTIL they be ENDUED with POWER from on high, but they did not and by their obedience they were ALL baptized in the Holy Spirit and SPOKE in OTHER TONGUES as the Holy Spirit gave them the utterance.)
5. For John truly baptized with water; but you shall be BAPTIZED with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
6. When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, will you at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
7. And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father has put in his own power.
8. But you shall RECEIVE POWER, AFTER that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: (You see dear child of God, they were already saved, they already believed that Jesus died for they sins and that God raised his Son from the dead. They already believed that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of the living God. But what they LACKED was POWER to be witnesses for Jesus. The word witnesses here also carries the meaning of being a MARTYR for Jesus) and you shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
9. And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.”
Now please read Luke 24:49.
“ And, behold, I send the PROMISE of my Father UPON you: but tarry you in the city of Jerusalem, UNTIL you be ENDUED with POWER from on high.”
Remember when Jesus said to his disciples that they could NOT follow him now or yet and Peter said Lord I will lay down my life for you. Then Jesus said WILL YOU??? Nay you will deny me three times before the cock crows. But because I go to PREPARE a PLACE for you, then YOU can be where I am NOW. Meaning being FILLED with the Holy Spirit and POWER. Jesus went on to say the Holy Spirit is WITH you NOW, but he shall be IN you because I go to the Father.
The PLACE Jesus was preparing for us was a CLEANSE vessel so that we could be ENDUED with POWER from on high by the INDWELLING of the Holy Spirit when his FULLNESS comes UPON us overflowing OUT of us given us the UTTERANCE to speak in OTHER TONGUES. Please read the study “THE POWER AND THE AUTHORITY OF THE BELIEVER!” for all the verses showing that our MANSION is the DWELLING of the Holy Spirit IN us to EMPOWER us to live our lives without sin and do the miraculous works Jesus did THROUGH the SAME eternal Spirit who DWELT IN him. So i ask you, are you BETTER and GREAT than you master Jesus? Of course not! The WHY do you RESIST the TRUTH by resisting to be FILLED with the Holy Spirit and SPEAK with OTHER TONGUES like the early church believers and believers all through the HISTORY of the church?
Now those who teach that the GIFTS of Holy Spirit are NOT for the church today and that SPEAKING in OTHER TONGUES has CEASED and the tongues in the church today are OF the DEVIL and NOT of God CLAIM that there is absolutely NO evidence in church history of ANY believer speaking in other tongues or even healing the sick EXCEPT those who were labeled as HERETICS. They CLAIM that after the LAST apostle died that SPEAKING in other TONGUES CEASED and therefore those speaking in other tongues today are OF the DEVIL and NOT of God.
But what does the HISTORY of the church ITSELF tell us? Here are some quotes from early church writers all the way up to the FIFTH century who are NOT heretics, but rather well know and highly quoter writers by ORTHODOX churches. The apostle John was the last apostle to die and he died around 100 A.D. The emphasis is mine:
Writing to the preaching evangelists who were yet living, Eusebius says: "Of those that flourished in these times, Quadratus is said to have been distinguished for his prophetical gifts. There were many others, also, noted in these times who held rank in the apostolic succession... the Holy Spirit also wrought many wonders as yet through them, so that as the Gospel was heard, men in crowds voluntarily and eagerly embraced the true faith with their whole minds."
Irenaeus was a pupil of Polycarp, who was a disciple of the apostle John. He wrote in his book "Against Heresies", Book V, vi.: "In like manner do we also hear many brethren in the church who possess prophetic gifts, and who THROUGH the Spirit speak all kinds of languages, and bring to light, for the general benefit, the hidden things of men and declare the mysteries of God, who also the apostles term spiritual."
The early martyrs enjoyed these gifts. Dean Ferrar, in his book "Darkness to Dawn" states: "Even for the minutest allusions and particulars I have contemporary authority." He refers to the persecuted Christians in Rome singing and speaking in unknown tongues.
Chrysostom, Bishop of Constantinople, writes: "Whoever was baptized in apostolic days, he straightway spoke with tongues, for since on their coming over from idols, without any clear knowledge or training in the Scriptures, they at once received the Spirit, not that they saw the Spirit, for He is invisible, but God's grace bestowed some sensible proof of His energy, and one straightway spoke in the Persian language, another in the Roman, another in the Indian, another in some other tongues, and this made manifest to them that were without that it was the Spirit in the very person speaking. Wherefore the apostle calls it the manifestation of the Spirit which is given to every man to profit withal."
Augustine, Bishop of Hippo, one of the four great fathers of the Latin Church and considered the greatest of them all: "We still do what the apostles did when they laid hands on the Samaritans and called down the Holy Spirit on them in the laying-on of hands. It is expected that converts should speak with new tongues."
Now Augustine of Hippo was all the way into the FIFTH century STILL yet doing the works of the apostles by laying hands on new believers to be FILLED with the Holy Spirit EXPECTING them to SPEAK with NEW TONGUES, or OTHER tongues, or UNKNOWN tongues, or to PRAY in the Holy Spirit as the Spirit of our Lord God the Almighty gave them utterance.
But yet those who teach AGAINST speaking in other tongues CLAIM that tongues have CEASED. They CLAIM that the ONLY Christians who spoke in tongues after the first century church or after 100 A.D. were HERETICS, but yet on supporting any of THEIR church denominational doctrines they QUOTE some of these very same well know church historian writers. And Irenaeus is one of those very well known and highly respected early church writers quoted by many ORTHODOX churches. Again the emphasis is mine:
Irenaeus Against Heresies, Book II, Chapter 32, section 4.“Wherefore, also, those who are in truth His disciples, receiving grace from Him, do in His name perform [miracles], so as to promote the welfare of other men, according to the gift which each one has received from Him. For some do certainly and truly drive out devils, so that those who have thus been cleansed from evil spirits frequently both believe [in Christ] and join themselves to the Church. Others have foreknowledge of things to come: they see visions, and utter prophetic expressions. Others still, heal the sick by laying their hands upon them, and they are made whole. Yea, moreover, as I have said, the dead even have been raised up, and remained among us for many years. And what shall I more say? It is not possible to name the number of gifts which the Church, [scattered] throughout the whole world, has received from God, in the name of Jesus Christ,”
Irenaeus Against Heresies, Book V. Chapter 6. section 1.“We speak wisdom among them that are perfect, terming those persons “perfect” who have received the Spirit of God, and who through the Spirit of God do speak in all languages, as he used Himself also to speak. In like manner we do also hear many brethren in the Church, who possess prophetic gifts, and who through the Spirit speak all kinds of languages, and bring to light for the general benefit the hidden things of men, and declare the mysteries of God,”
Now had the apostle John UNDERSTOOD 1 Corinthians 13:8 to mean that speaking in other tongues would CEASE upon his death, then most certainly he would have TAUGHT his disciple Polycarp to no longer speak in other tongues, because after his death SATAN would take over and all tongues would be OF the DEVIL and NOT OF God.
I mean HOW could John the very apostle of Jesus NOT have understood that tongues would cease upon his death and fail to warn his disciples to STOP laying hands on new believers to be FILLED with the Holy Spirit EXPECTING them to speak in other tongues. HOW could the great apostle John who was given audience IN heaven to write teh book of REVELATION miss the INTERPRETATION of 1 Corinthians 13:8 to mean that we he died SPEAKING in OTHER TONGUES being OF God would CEASE and then ALL speaking in tongues AFTER his death would be OF the DEVIL and NOT of God?
The TRUTH of the matter is that the INTERPRETATION of 1 Corinthians to mean that tongues CEASED when the NEW Testament was completed is NOT the CORRECT meaning of that passage of scripture. And this is why TRUE SOUND BIBLICAL speaking in other tongues CONTINUE to this present day among true born again believers in Jesus who are OBEYING the commandment of Jesus to be ENDUED with POWER from on high to empower us to live our lives without sin and DO the SAME works of healing and casting out devils and raising the dead that Jesus did THROUGH the SAME eternal Holy Spirit who DWELT IN him. The truth of the matter is that a LOT of truth was lost during the dark ages of the church, but this does NOT mean that SOME believers all the way through the entire history of the church held fast to the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God.
So then dear child of God, seeing clearly that being filled with the Holy Spirit with the EVIDENCE of speaking in other tongues being EXPECTED continued all the way up to the FIFTH century written down as CLEAR undeniable proof by one of the highly respected early church writers who is quoted by the main stream ORTHODOX churches, then does it not make sense to YOU that your denomination has DECEIVED you to WRONGLY believe that tongues have CEASED with the death of the last Apostle? There are bits and pieces of church writings that show believers still used the gifts of the Holy Spirit all the way through the history of the church which i may include further on in this study
But for now I implore you dear child of God to seek Almighty God yourself on this matter laying aside what your church denomination has dogmatically taught you to FEAR that tongues are OF the DEVIL.
HEAR the very words of Jesus HIMSELF!
Please read Luke 11:9-13.
“And I say unto you, ASK, and it SHALL be GIVEN you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
10. For every one that ASKS RECEIVES; and he that seeks finds; and to him that knocks it shall be opened.
11. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
12. Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
13. If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much MORE shall your heavenly Father GIVE the Holy Spirit to them that ASK him?”
Do you believe the LIES of the devil MORE than you believe the words of Jesus himself. You do if so be that you FEAR that if you ask God for the Holy Spirit that you will RECEIVE an evil spirit of Satan and NOT the Spirit of God. Jesus is saying all you have to do is ASK God and he SHALL GIVE you the Holy Spirit, but he that ask let him or her ask in FAITH, because the Bible also teaches us to NOT think that any man or woman who WAVERS in FAITH that they should receive ANYTHING from God. Please read James 1:6-8.
“But let him ASK in FAITH, NOTHING WAVERING. For he that wavers is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
7. For let NOT that man THINK that he shall receive ANY THING of the Lord.
8. A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.”
Now the Bible teaches us that we ALL have been given the SAME measure of FAITH, which means the ability to BELIEVE so no one has a greater or lessor ability to believe and therefore all are without excuse who do not CHOOSE to believe in Jesus. The Bible also says that faith COMES by HEARING, which means hearing ANYTHING whether it is the truth or whether it is FALSE teaching. And HEARING comes by the word of God, which means TRUE understanding comes ONLY from the word of TRUTH, the Holy Bible, meaning the WHOLE word of God and NOT just bits and pieces of the word of God taken out of context and INCORRECTLY interpreted
So let us get back into the WORD or TRUTH to build your FAITH so that YOU can be ENDUED with POWER from on high by being BAPTIZED with the Holy Spirit to overflowing upon you covering you with the presence of Almighty God to help you RELEASE your FAITH and speak out the utterance to speak in other tongues GIVEN to you by the Holy Spirit to magnify God in the best way possible. Let us move on to the next place new believers were FILLED with the Holy Spirit to see if they SPOKE in OTHER TONGUES.
Please read Acts 10:38-48.
“How God anointed (or filled) Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was WITH him. (by DWELLING IN his Son Jesus to EMPOWER his Son)
39. And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:
40. Him God raised up the third day, and showed him openly;
41. Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.
42. And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.
43. To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believes in him shall receive remission of sins.
44. While Peter yet spoke these WORDS, (the HEARERS BELIEVED on Jesus and) the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
45. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was POURED OUT the GIFT of the Holy Ghost. (and HOW did they KNOW that these Gentiles BELIEVED on Jesus and were FILLED with the Holy Spirit?)
46. FOR (or BECAUSE) they HEARD them SPEAK with TONGUES, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47. Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have RECEIVED the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48. And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.”
Now of course Peter did NOT TEACH these Gentiles to receive the Holy Spirit after they were saved. In fact these were the very FIRST GENTILES Peter ever preach to just then that very moment perceiving that God wanted them to hear about Jesus. Peter has received a vision form God and Cornelius had seen a angel after he had been fasting and praying. So after relating each others experiences with God Peter PERCEIVED that God was not a respecter of person. The PROMISE is to ALL that God shall CALL and God is CALLING ALL of mankind, but ONLY those who BELIEVE on his Son shall be SAVED and be CLEANSED so the Holy Spirit can come and DWELL IN them.
Obviously these Gentiles BELIEVED on Jesus to be cleansed of all their sin, because the Holy Spirit will not dwell in an unclean vessel. CLEARLY they were FILLED with the Holy Spirit with the EVIDENCE of speaking in other tongues and they of the circumcision which were believers in Jesus were ASTONISHED for the HEARD them speak in other tongue just like of the Day of Pentecost. In other words, the Jewish believers in Jesus could not believe their EARS when these GENTILE believers RECEIVED the Holy Spirit, which they knew meant that God saved these Gentiles from the sins just as he has been saving the Jews from their sins. To say this any way the believers with Peter understood teh teaching of Jesus that God will NOT put his Spirit in UNCLEAN OLD vessels. Please read Mark 2:18-22.
“And the disciples of John and of the Pharisees used to fast: and they come and say unto him, Why do the disciples of John and of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples fast NOT?
19. And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bride chamber fast, while the bridegroom is with them? As long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast. (Jesus is teaching of the NEW birth here being compared to the OLD covenant showing that one's OWN works of righteousness will no longer patch them up so to speak or cover their sins by the works of the law.)
20. But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.
21. No man also sews a piece of new cloth on an old garment: else the new piece that filled it up takes away from the old, and the rent is made worse. (again Jesus is showing a separation from the OLD covenant to the NEW covenant.)
22. And no man puts NEW WINE wine into OLD bottles: else the new wine doth burst the bottles, and the wine is spilled, and the bottles will be marred: but new wine MUST BE put into new bottles.”
In other word, Jesus is saying that the Holy Spirit MUST be put in NEW VESSELS speaking of NEW born again believers who have been cleanse by the shed blood of Jesus to become a NEW creature in Jesus Christ. So if you have answered the CALL of the gospel by BELIEVING on Jesus who died for your sins, then the PROMISE of the Holy Spirit is given to YOU. If you have not been FILLED with the Holy Spirit with the EVIDENCE of SPEAKING in OTHER TONGUES, then simple ASK God to GIVE you his Holy Spirit and you SHALL RECEIVE the Holy Spirit. EXPECT yourself to speak in other tongues and do NOT FEAR receiving a false evil spirit from the devil. Almighty God the father will NOT ALLOW one of his NEW BORN child to receive a spirit of the DEVIL.
Can you not see my dear brothers and sister of our Lord Jesus Christ that the teaching of speaking in tongues in the church today is OF the DEVIL and NOT OF God is a doctrine of DEVILS, which has produce fear and doubt in the lives of believers bring CONFUSION and even unbelief in God's word FEARING that they might become possessed of the devil if they ask God to give the his Holy Spirit.
In truth the Holy Spirit is ALREADY dwelling in you as a true born again believer, but you have not yet been FILLED with the Holy Spirit UNTIL you experience the evidence of SPEAKING in OTHER TONGUES.
Please read Mark 16:14-19.
“Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed NOT them which had seen him after he was risen. (I implore you do NOT be upbraided by Jesus for NOT BELIEVING his word taught to his disciples and NOW is being taught to YOU)
15. And he said unto them, Go you into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be damned.
17. And these SIGNS shall follow them that BELIEVE; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with NEW TONGUES;
18. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19. So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.”
ALL of these SIGNS should be in the life of every believer. Jesus did NOT say that these SIGN shall follow SOME that believe. Jesus said THEM the BELIEVE! So do you BELIEVE in JESUS? If you do, then THESE SIGN should be following YOU who BELIEVE. Now some believers do NOT BELIEVE in divine healing so therefore they will not EXPERIENCE god's BEST for them in this present world. Some Christians die needlessly because of THEIR UNBELIEF that God wants to HEAL them. Some believers do NOT BELIEVE in SPEAKING in OTHER TONGUES so they will not experience God's BEST for them in this present world because of THEIR UNBELIEF. ALL these SIGNS take FAITH and do not fall on us like ripe cherries falling off a tree. If you get bitten by a poisonous snake you must BELIEVE that you will live and not die. If YOU do NOT believe that no harm will come to you, then you will die unless you get treated for that poison snake bite. The SAME is true with ALL these SIGNS that SHOULD be in the life of EVERY believer in Jesus.
It takes FAITH to receive the FULLNESS of the Holy Spirit. Yes, in SOME cases like the FIRST time God did indeed fill believers without them ASKING to be filled.
The FIRST time the Jewish believers in Jesus were FILLED with the Holy Spirit were are not told to ASK God to receive the Holy Spirit, but they certainly knew of this PROMISE and they were OBEYING the word of Jesus to WAIT in Jerusalem UNTIL they were endued with power on high.
The FIRST time the Gentiles BELIEVED the word God they were filled without them ASKING to be filled. But what about all the other believers who were NOT filled with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongues at the very moment they were saved. Were THEY not ASKED if they had RECEIVED the Holy Spirit since they believed? Yes they were ASKED. Please read Acts 19:1-7.
“And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2. He said unto them (or he ASKED them), Have you RECEIVED the Holy Ghost since you BELIEVED? (This teaches us that NOT ALL believers are FILLED with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongues AT the very moment they are saved. Remember Saul or Paul was not filled with the Holy Spirit at the very moment he was saved. It was only AFTER Paul BELIEVED God to OBEY God to let Ananias lay hands of him and pray for Paul to be FILLED with the Holy Spirit.) And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. (they did not kick and fuss about it saying I have already been baptized why do I need to be baptized again, but rather they BELIEVE the word of God spoken to them and OBEYED what God's WORD taught them to do. By OBEYING Paul's word to be baptized in the name of Jesus showed that the BELIEVE Paul's words to be FILLED with the Holy Spirit.)
6. And when Paul had LAID his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost CAME ON THEM; and they SPOKE with TONGUES, and prophesied.
7. And all the men were about twelve.”
Now the best way to receive the Holy Spirit is to have ANOTHER believer who HAS been FILLED with the Holy Spirit and HAS spoken in other tongues and BELIEVES himself or herself that when he or she LAYS hands on you and prays that you WILL receive the Holy Spirit with the evidence of SPEAKING in OTHER TONGUES.
Can you not see my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ, that SPEAKING in OTHER TONGUES was the SIGN to believers that they were FILLED with the Holy Spirit. Please read Acts 11:11-18.
“ And, behold, immediately there were three men already come unto the house where I was, sent from Caesarea unto me.
12. And the Spirit bade me go with them, nothing doubting. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered into the man's house:
13. And he showed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;
14. Who shall tell you WORDS, whereby you and all your house shall be saved.
15. And as I began to speak (these men were ALREADY BELIEVING and expecting God to do something so Peter did not need to do any in depth teaching to them. This shows us that HUNGER and READINESS to RECEIVE God's TRUTH releases faith to RECEIVE from God), the Holy Ghost fell on them, AS on us at the beginning.(So again Peter KNEW that the received the Holy Spirit by seeing or rather HEARING them SPEAK with OTHER TONGUES. You see dear child of God the EVIDENCE all the way through the book of Acts for being FILLED with the Holy Spirit has always been SPEAKING in OTHER TONGUES just like at the BEGINNING, which Peter LIKENS their being filled to those who believed on the Day of Pentecost. And the EVIDENCE of being FILLED with the Holy Spirit at the BEGINNING on the Day of Pentecost was SPEAKING in OTHER TONGUES.)
16. Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but you shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
17. For as much then as God (HIMSELF) gave them the like GIFT as he did unto US, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God
18. When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then has God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.”
Let us do a little review to summarize a bit what we have covered thus far.
Basically there are three MAIN teachings on this subject of speaking in other tongues, which I will list in NO specific order.
#1. Speaking in other tongues have CEASED.
#2. Speaking in other tongues is OPTIONAL and NOT mandatory.
#3. Speaking in other tongues is indeed for the church TODAY and Speaking in other tongues is the EVIDENCE of being FILLED with the Holy Spirit. In other words, ALL believers who are FILLED with the Holy Spirit WILL and DO speak with OTHER TONGUES.
Now most every believer does indeed that true born again believers in the early church spoke in other tongues. But the CONTROVERSY arises most likely because of the ABUSE and MISUSE of speaking in other tongues in the church today. Therefore to some believers they FEAR that the SPEAKING in other tongues today in the Pentecostal and Charismatic church is OF the DEVIL and NOT of God.
If you remember we have already covered teaching #1 saying that speaking in other tongues have ceased. Basically other than JUDGING those whose speaking in other tongues by their actions of shaking and trembling or appearing drunk they only other argument they produce is 1 Corinthians 13:8-12 which they INTERPRET as tongues CEASING when the NEW Testament was complete CLAIMING that the New Testament is the WHEN that which is PERFECT is COME.
But as you have seen that which is perfect is come is referring to both us as faithful believers who will be made PERFECT WHEN our PERFECT Lord comes.
Also they CLAIM that the ONLY believers who spoke in tongues after the apostle John died were HERETICS. But again as you have already seen from historical early church writings that THEY WITHHELD from you clearly show that many believers all the way though to the FIFTH century SPOKE in other tongues AND EXPECTED those who they laid hands on to receive the Holy Spirit would SPEAK in other tongues as well. Let me just give you that quote again.
Augustine, Bishop of Hippo, one of the four great fathers of the Latin Church and considered the greatest of them all: "We still do what the apostles did when they laid hands on the Samaritans and called down the Holy Spirit on them in the laying-on of hands. It is expected that converts should speak with new tongues."
So then, it is OBVIOUS to all who have eyes to see and ears to hear that teaching #1 Speaking in other tongues have CEASED is a FALSE teaching and must be rejected.
Therefore since Speaking in other tongues have NOT ceased this leaves us with two remaining teachings.
#2. Speaking in other tongues is an OPTION
#3. Speaking in other tongues IS for the church today.
Now obviously BOTH teachings #2 and #3 are correct, but only teaching #3 is God's BEST for us as believers. What I mean by this is that speaking is other tongues is not mandatory in order to be SAVED, because you MUST be saved BEFORE you can be FILLED with the Holy Spirit and speak in other tongues. And obviously some Christians who by making their OWN CHOICE NOT to believe that tongues are indeed for the church today have OPTED OUT so to speak to being FILLED with the Holy Spirit to speak in other tongues FEARING that it is OF the DEVIL and NOT of God.
Well seeing that those in the early church were FILLED with the Holy Spirit and spoke in other tongues were NOT POSSESSED of the DEVIL, then WHAT CHANGED? The early church believers on the Day of Pentecost were MOCKED as Christians are today who speak in other tongues where those MOCKING said they were DRUNK with new wine. So in the early church there were some who did NOT believe that the display of appearing DRUNK was OF God as they MOCKED these believers. You do NOT mock something that you believe is OF God. Those that MOCKED these believers who were FILLED with the Holy Spirit was NOT because they spoke in other tongue, but because they APPEARED to be DRUNK with wine.
Another verse in the Bible likening believers who are FILLED with the Holy Spirit as being DRUNK is Ephesians 5:17-20.
“Wherefore be you NOT unwise, but understanding what the WILL of the Lord is.
18. And be not drunk WITH wine, wherein is excess; BUT be FILLED with the Spirit;
19. SPEAKING to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
20. Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;”
So the WILL of the Lord is for us to be DRUNK in the SPIRIT by BE BEING FILLED over and over with the Holy Spirit SPEAKING to ourselves as the Spirit GIVES us the UTTERANCE of psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing in other tongues and singing the interpretation of these spiritual songs.
Paul said in the affirmative or the positive, I WILL speak or PRAY in my understanding and I WILL speak or PRAY in other tongues ALSO. So by CHOICE of one's own WILL a believer who has already been FILLED with the Holy Spirit with the EVIDENCE of speaking in OTHER TONGUES can speak any time they choose or WILL as an act of their OWN WILL to pray in their own UNDERSTANDING and NOT one believer would ever disagree with this. So why would any believer disagree with speaking or praying in other tongues by one's OWN choice by FAITH to pray in other tongues?
Please read 1 Corinthians 14:15.
“What is it then? I WILL pray with the spirit, and I WILL pray with the understanding also: I WILL sing with the spirit, and I WILL sing with the understanding also.”
Now Paul in this case is referring to speaking in other tongues IN the church and following up by INTERPRETING what one speak or sings in other tongues with the UNDERSTANDING ALSO. But any believer who has been FILLED with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongues is TAUGHT in the word of God to STIR UP this GIFT that is within you, which to me means that by FAITH Spirit filled believers can speak in other tongues at WILL as an act of their own will any time they desire to pray in other tongues.
Please read 2 Timothy 1:6,7.
“Wherefore I put you in remembrance that you STIR UP the GIFT of God, which is IN YOU by the putting on of my hands.
7. For God has not given us the SPIRIT of FEAR; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”
So you do NOT need to FEAR that God will give you and EVIL spirit of the devil. God has NOT given you the SPIRIT of FEAR, but the Spirit of POWER and the Spirit of LOVE and the Spirit of a SOUND mind so USE that GIFT of the Holy Spirit which is DWELLING in EVERY believer.
If you have ALREADY been FILLED with the Holy Spirit and have SPOKEN in OTHER TONGUES, then I implore you to STIR UP that gift that is IN you to PRAY in other tongues every day. As an act of your OWN WILL by FAITH begin to speak in other tongues doubting nothing by rebuking the lies of the enemy who does NOT want believers to get a hold of this TRUTH of stirring up the Holy Spirit within us to PRAY in other tongues.
When the devils tries to deceive you that you are just making up those words hold up the shield of faith quenching all his fiery darts of lies. Continue by FAITH to pray in tongues and the Holy Spirit WILL be stirred up and give you fluent utterances in other tongues. As you grow in fluency of praying in other tongues ask and BELIEVE God for the INTERPRETATION and UNDERSTANDING and he will give you the gift of interpretation.
If you have NOT yet been FILLED with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongues, then seek out a Pentecostal or Charismatic church and find a believer who will LAY HANDS on you to be FILLED with the Holy Spirit and BELIEVE that without fail you WILL be filled with God's Spirit and speak in other tongues. I myself was filled with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongue is the Assemblies of God church, which I personally believe FOLLOWS the teaching of Paul to have ORDER in their church services as opposed to some Charismatic churches and the Oneness Pentecostal churches, which seem to be less ORDERLY.
Now you MAY or may not have to speak out the utterance being given you by the Holy Spirit BY FAITH. Some believers are instantly filled and they seem not to be able not to speak in tongues and they just speak out freely. Others being more timid or even fearful need to take that step of FAITH and just begin to speak out what you feel are words from the Holy Spirit. By taking that step of FAITH you are stirring up the Holy Spirit or more precisely you are showing your faith and God honors faith.
Some believers FAIL to receive, because that have gotten the wrong idea that the Holy Spirit does the speaking FOR them, or that the Holy Spirit will makes them speak or that the Holy Spirit takes over their tongue and causes them to speak.
The truth of the matter is that the Spirit is subject to the prophet, in that, the believer has a CHOICE to speak or not to speak. To say this another way the Holy Spirit is NOT going to FORCE a believer to either speak in tongues or prophesy. For whatever reason God himself has chosen for us to prophesy by faith and to speak in other tongues by faith, and every situation is different. Some receive instantly while some seek and seek taking weeks moths and even years while yet others seek all their life and never are FILLED with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongues. This is most likely due to INCORRECT teaching, which produces a lack of true faith. And sometimes believers never truly get over the fear that has been drilled into them by false teaching. Fear can hinder other gifts of the Spirit as well.
For example at times there is a strong impression or unction from the Holy Spirit to prophesy and one may perceive a few words that they feel very confident are from God, but by FAITH they must speak them out first before God gives them the rest of the prophecy. The same is true with speaking in other tongues.
But at other times God presence is so strong all over a believer so there is really no doubt in them that the words they are perceiving are of God and they just speak them out freely.
I wish I could say that this is the way it is all the time, but with ME it was not so. I had to fight the good fight of faith and THEN came the awesome presence of God and more and more fluency came as I continued to pray in the Holy Spirit every day beginning by FAITH stirring up the gift that in dwelling in me.
So at FIRST my speaking in other tongues was for the lack of a better way to explain it was “BABY” speaking in other tongues in the same way that we are BABY Christians when we are first born again and we have to GROW I the Lord. I "BABBLED" just like other believers that are WRONGLY accused of speaking in tongue OF DEVILS and NOT of God. But I was TAUGHT to by FAITH the stir up the gift within me praying in other tongues every day and I OBEYED that teaching. The more I prayed in other tongues by FAITH stirring up the gift that is within me the more and more fluent the other tongues became. I never "BABBLED" again except for ONE time, but the babbling was different. Yet it still sounded FOOLISH to ME and the devil tried to deceive me that I was making up that foolish babbling. But as I have already told you at the beginning of this study in God's word that what SOUNDED like foolish babbling to ME God revealed later that it was indeed a LANGUAGE of MEN, the native bushmen is Australia.
Well before that time of intercession praying in other tongues for the bushmen in Australia I was praying and interceding for my family one by one I would pray in my UNDERSTANDING and then by faith I would stir up the gift that is within me to pray in other tongues for each family member one by one. After about three to fours hours praying this way for each family member one by one I started to speak in a NEW tongue that I had never spoke in before and I immediately recognized this language I was speaking in as being Chinese. I stopped and said to the Lord, You KNOW my heart Lord and you KNOW that I am praying for my family and there is no one in my family who is Chinese. And the Lord spoke back to me saying that if I would pray for what HE has need for NOW that he would raise up ten thousand intercessors when I had need for them. I thought to myself what a deal and returned to speaking in other tongues in Chinese for about another four hours mostly travailing and agonizing in the Spirit, which was new to me back then as I was just learning as the Holy Spirit was leading me, and I understood the Lord's leading.
I continued to pray every day as was my practice back then and every time I starting to pray in tongues stirring up the gift that was in me I would pray in Chinese. This continued for about two weeks and finally I felt a breakthrough or victory where I rejoiced and sang in Chinese. Now I do not usually watch the news but my wife had the news on as as I passed by I saw in the news about Tiananmen Square incident in China and I knew in an instant in my spirit that this is what I had been interceding praying in the Spirit.
Through the years God has used me many times interceding in the Spirit praying in many different languages. Those i have RECOGNIZED are Spanish, German, Russian, French, Hebrew, and Chinese. I have prayed in many other languages as well, but not recognizing them and God has only reveal one of those languages I have not recognized as the language of the bushmen in Australia. Sometimes God has shown me WHAT I have prayed for in other tongues. And something God has shown me WHO I have interceded for in the Spirit praying in other tongues. But very few times has God shown me BOTH what and who that he prompted me to intercede for praying in other tongues.
I say prompted because not always it was me who stirred up the Holy Spirit by FAITH beginning to pray in other tongues, but rather God stirred ME up to pray. For you see their were many times that God awoke me in the night with and urgency to pray. For who and for what I had no idea, but by faith I obeyed and began to speak in other tongues, sometimes all the way through to the morning, but every time there came a VICTORY in my spirit with great rejoicing. So do not give up until you reach that breakthrough and receive that JOY of victory laughing and singing in other tongues rejoicing and praising God particularly if you travail and agonize in prayer as if you are experiencing what others are going through. It may be one of your OWN family members who you are praying for. There are many testimonies of God delivering people from tragic events and later they find out that a family member was praying FOR them at that exact moment they could have been killed or badly injured. Intercessory prayer is a serious matter and should not be taken lightly.
God still uses me in this area, but not as much. Most of my time now is filled with writing Bible studies such as this and ministering to people teaching them God's word. I know in my spirit that God is HONORING his promise to me to raise up intercessors in my behalf when I have need.
God is always faithful who PROMISED and he has PROMISED YOU as a believer to GIVE you his Holy Spirit to EMPOWER you to live your life without sin a do the very same works of healing and casting out devils that his Son Jesus did THROUGH the SAME eternal Holy Spirit who dwelt in him.
Thanks for reading. Be you FILLED with the Holy Spirit in the mighty name of Jesus and may you be always faithful to STIR UP his gift within you to pray in the Holy Spirit every day building up your most Holy Faith just a Jude 1:17-23 teaches us.
"But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;
18. How that they told you there should be MOCKERS in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.
19. These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.
20. But you, beloved, BUILDING UP yourselves on your most holy faith, PRAYING IN the Holy Ghost,
21. Keep yourselves in the LOVE of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
22. And of some have compassion, making a difference:
23. And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh."
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE