WHAT DOES ISAIAH 9:6 MEAN?
The question has been asked, What does Isaiah 9:6 mean? We know that this verse is a prophecy of the coming of the Messiah who shall be born of a virgin, but what does this verse mean when this Messiah is called MIGHTY GOD and EVERLASTING FATHER?
Does this mean that Jesus is THE one true and only ALMIGHTY God? Does this verse mean that Jesus IS THE everlasting or ETERNAL FATHER?
In other words, do the words “EVERLASTING FATHER”here in Isaiah 9:6 mean that Jesus, the Son of Almighty God the Father mean without fail that Jesus IS the FATHER?
What does Isaiah 9:6 mean? Let us begin this study by reading Isaiah 9:6 from a few different translations beginning with the King James Version of the Bible. Just as a reminder to my readers, I always use the King James Version when I quote scripture unless I specify otherwise. Now I do however change the “thee” and the “thou” as well as a few other Old English words to our modern day speech of today.
Isaiah 6:9 from the King James Version (KJV)
“For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.”
Now from the KJV the phrase “The mighty God” has by some Christians been INTERPRETED as “THE Mighty God” meaning that Jesus is THE Mightiest of all gods or in other words, that Jesus is THE ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God. And the phrase “The everlasting Father” has been INTERPRETED by some as “THE Everlasting FATHER” meaning that Jesus IS one and the self same being as THE Everlasting Father or THE ETERNAL FATHER, who has NO beginning and NO end.
However, IF SO BE that this verse is INTERPRETED in this way, then this would make Jesus to BE one and the SELF SAME being as the FATHER and would therefore contradict the doctrine of the trinity, which plainly states that Almighty God the Father is NOT the SON, and the SON is NOT the FATHER. In other words, such an INTERPRETATION would better support the doctrine of the ONENESS believers as opposed to supporting the doctrine of the trinity.
So then, let us not jump ahead and TRY and interpret Isaiah 9:6 prematurely without FIRST examining ALL the evidence. The Bible in Proverbs 18:12,13 teaches us to hear the WHOLE matter BEFORE we judge the matter lest we be found to sound foolish. Therefore let us continue to read this verse from several more different translations.
Isaiah 9:6 from the Bible in Basic English (BBE)
Now in this translation we see that the phrase “THE mighty God” has been translated as “Strong God”, which to me takes the emphasis off the “THE” to at least let us see the “possibility” of Jesus being a STRONG God, or a MIGHTY God as opposed to Jesus being THE STRONGEST God as in Jesus being one and the self same being as Almighty God the Father himself. Please notice also that the phrase “The everlasting Father” is translated as “Father FOR EVER”, which again takes the emphasis off the “THE” so that we can at least see the “possibility”of Jesus being a Father, but yet not THE FATHER. In other words, I would like my readers to consider at least the possibility that Jesus has been made to become a Father forever, by THE FATHER the one true and only ALMIGHTY God. Please bear with me and this will all come clear to you as you continue this study in God's word.
Here is Isaiah 9:6 from the Douey-Rheims Bible
“For a CHILD IS BORN to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace.”
In this translation we see that the phrase “The mighty God” is translated as “God the MIGHTY” ,which again take the emphasis off the “THE” so we can see the possibility of Jesus being "a" mighty God or a God who is mighty, but not necessarily dogmatically demanding that Jesus be "THE" one true and only ALMIGHTY God the MIGHTIEST of all gods. And again the phrase “The Everlasting Father” is translated here as being “the Father OF the world to come”, which is speaking of the 1000 year reign of Jesus.
I like this translation, because we can cross reference this truth of Jesus being the RULER in the world to come. In other words, we can compare scripture with scripture to see what the rest of God's word is saying in order to more ACCURATELY interpret Isaiah 9:6.
So then, let us take a side journey for a bit and go to the New Testament in 1 Corinthians 15:20-28, but before we do I would like you to read one more translation of Isaiah 9:6 from a paraphrased version of the Bible, which to me, really sheds some light as how to correctly interpret just WHO this child is that is prophesied to come. Now of course we as Christians have come to understand that this child yet to be born is Jesus, who we know has already been born, has already died, has already been raised from the dead, and now we are waiting for the phrase “and the government SHALL BE upon HIS shoulders” to come to pass, which will be fulfilled at the second coming of Jesus.
Now let us take a look at Isaiah 9:6 from the Message Bible.
Now I do not normally like to use paraphrased versions very often, but that way that the phrase “ and the government shall be upon his shoulder” is translated here as “He'll take over the running of the world.” better describes what will actually take place in the world to come, the 1000 year reign of Jesus, when Jesus will TAKE OVER his Father's kingdom for 1000 years to rule and reign as "a" mighty God, and as an amazing counselor, and as a PRINCE who brings peace.
With that being said now let us read 1 Corinthians 15:20-28.
“But now is Christ (the anointed one Jesus) risen from the dead, and become the FIRST fruits of them that slept (in other words, Jesus is the FIRST born from the DEAD to become the FIRST fruits of many others who BELIEVE in him. Or to say this another way Jesus as BECOME the Father OF ETERNAL LIFE of those who BELIEVE. That is to say, his name or his title SHALL BE called in that day when he comes again the Father of EVERLASTING life, because his God and Father, the one true and only ALMIGHTY God THE FATHER, has GIVEN his Son Jesus the power and the authority to RAISE the dead and then give those who BELIEVE in Jesus this same ETERNAL LIFE that Almighty God the Father GAVE to his Son Jesus. I will give you all the verses that teach us this truth after you have read this passage of scripture.)
22. For as in Adam all die, even so IN Christ (or in the anointed chosen man Jesus) shall all be made alive.(in other words to say this another way, it is only right an just that since BY a MAN sin entered into the world that it should also be BY a MAN that the sins OF MAN be atoned BY a MAN as well. And Jesus was that chosen MAN to be the atonement for the sins of the whole world by his God and Father who alone is the one true and only Almighty God.)
23. But every MAN in his own order: Christ (the MAN Jesus the Christ of the anointed one of Almighty God the Father with his Holy Spirit) the FIRST fruits (or the FIRST MAN to ever be raised from the dead and then GIVEN ETERNAL LIFE even as the Father has LIFE in HIMSELF, which is IMMORTAL LIFE); afterward (or the next humans to be GIVEN eternal life are) they that are Christ's at his coming.(speaking of only the faithful believers, the anointed ones, or the believers who have the Spirit of God dwelling in them, who are found to be faithful at the second coming of Jesus shall be GIVEN ETERNAL LIFE in the world to come.)
24. Then comes the end (speaking of the end of the 1000 year reign of Jesus), WHEN he (speaking of Jesus) shall have delivered up the kingdom TO God, even the Father; (here we see that God is CLEARLY identified as the FATHER to whom the kingdom will be delivered BACK into his hands at the END of the 1000 year reign of his SON Jesus) when he (Almighty God the Father) shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. (through his Son Jesus)
26. The LAST enemy that shall be destroyed is death. (which shall not be destroyed till after the 1000 year reign of Jesus, when God resumes control over his kingdom and executes the final phase of his wrath to destroy all the wicked in the lake of fire when LAST enemy death and hell shall be destroyed)
27. For he (Almighty God the Father) has put all things under his feet (again both the feet of the father and his Son). But when he (Almighty God the Father) said ALL things are put under him (speaking of his Son Jesus), it is manifest (or it is CLEARLY SHOWN or CLEARLY MADE KNOWN, this is what the word manifest means to clearly show and made understood) that he (speaking of Almighty God the Father) is excepted (in other words, Almighty God the Fathers has put ALL things under his Son Jesus EXCEPT fro HIMSELF who shall always be a God OVER his Son Jesus), which did put all things under him (referring to Almighty God the Father which did put all things under his Son Jesus).
28. And WHEN all things shall be subdued unto him (speaking of Jesus the Son and his God and Father as well), THEN shall the Son ALSO himself be SUBJECT unto him (speaking of Almighty God the Father) that put all things under him, (WHY? Why is Jesus the God of the world to come speaking of the 1000 year reign of Jesus going to commit BACK into the hands of his God and Father the kingdom of Almighty God that he was given the authority to reign over for 1000 years by his God and Father?) THAT (or so that) God (speaking of Almighty God the Father) may be ALL in all.”
Now earlier in this passage of scripture I said that I would give you the verses that teach us the TRUTH that the MAN Jesus the Son of the living God was GIVEN ETERNAL LIFE even as his God and Father has LIFE of IMMORTAL life in HIMSELF.
Please read 1 Timothy 6:14-16, which clearly teaches us that ALMIGHTY God ALONE has always had IMMORTALITY.
15. Which in his times (speaking of the first and second comings of Jesus) he shall show (or manifest or clearly make know and reveal), WHO is the blessed and ONLY Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;
16. Who ONLY has immortality, dwelling in the light which NO man can approach unto; whom NO man has seen, NOR can see: (because he is INVISIBLE) to whom be honor and power everlasting. Amen.”
The Greek word that is translated as “POTENTATE” here means SOVEREIGN. Now the word “Sovereign” means the chief of state or the chief ruler of a Monarchy. The word sovereign also means SUPREME, which means GREATEST in power, in rank, in degree, in authority, the utmost the extreme, the ultimate and the FINAL. In other words the one true God who Jesus came to SHOW us or to REVEAL to us is the ONLY SOVEREIGN ALMIGHTY God who is the ONLY one who has ALWAYS had and always will have IMMORTALITY and who is also not able to be SEEN by man.
So then when we take 1 Timothy 6:14-16 and compare it along side John 5:17-30, which clearly teaches us that the very REASON that Jesus was GIVEN authority and power over the enemy was BECAUSE Jesus was the Son of MAN. This passage of scripture also clearly teaches us that Jesus was GIVEN ETERNAL LIFE by his God and Father, the one true and ONLY POTENTATE who ONLY has IMMORTALITY until he GAVE this same immortal life to his Son Jesus the Son of MAN to become the FIRST born from the dead among MANY brethren.
18. Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the Sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.(now some who teach the doctrines of the trinity and the deity of Jesus sometime use this verse to try and prove that Jesus is EQUAL in every way with Almighty God the Father, as in, Jesus being Almighty God HIMSELF. But neither the context of this verse not the rest of the Bible supports such an INTERPRETATION as this that Jesus is THE one true and ONLY ALMIGHTY God. You see, this is just an ACCUSATION by the JEWS who also ACCUSE Jesus of having a DEVIL and we KNOW that that is NOT true)
19. Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do NOTHING OF HIMSELF, but what he sees the Father do: for what things soever he does, these also does the Son likewise. (through the power of the eternal Holy Spirit of Almighty God his Father)
21. For AS the Father raises up the dead, and quickens them; EVEN SO the Son quickens whom he will. (or just as Almighty God the Father has power and authority to raise the dead and give them eternal life so also has he given Jesus his Son this same power and authority to raise from the dead whosoever he will)
23. That all men should honor the Son, EVEN AS they honor the Father. He that honors NOT the Son honors NOT the Father which has sent him. (so the word of TRUTH makes it perfectly clear that we are to give honor the Jesus in the same way that we give honor to Almighty God the Father)
24. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that hears my word, and believes on him that sent me, has everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. (and the opposite of this is equally as true.)
25. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is,(speaking of the future resurrection at the second coming of Jesus and also now during the ministry of the gospel) when the dead shall hear the voice OF the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
26. For AS the Father has life IN himself (who ONLY has IMMORTALITY); SO (or so also) has he (Almighty God the Father the ONLY POTENTATE) GIVEN TO the Son to HAVE life IN himself; (in other words, Jesus did NOT eternally exist, but rather was brought into existence as a HUMAN being or the Son of MAN and then after Jesus fulfilled all the WILL of his God and Father to become obedient to death on the cross, then Almighty God the Father HIGHLY EXALTED his Son Jesus the Son of MAN and GAVE to him IMMORTALITY even as the Father had in himself)
28. Marvel NOT at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, (in other words, do not marvel at this truth that Almighty God the Father has GIVEN his Son Jesus the POWER and the AUTHORITY to raise the dead, and not just to raise the dead, but also to given whomsoever he will the gift of ETERNAL LIFE. So this means that ONLY those who BELIEVE that Jesus is the SON of Almighty God and that Jesus is the Son of MAN and that Jesus is the CHRIST and that Jesus has died for their sins, and the Jesus has been raised form the dead shall be given eternal life from the Son of the living God, because Almighty God the Father has COMITTED or has GIVEN this power and authority to his Son Jesus the Son of MAN.)
So then, now that it is clearly seen that Jesus is UNDER and SUBJECT to his God and Father let us go back to Isaiah 9:6 and read it again from a couple of other translations.
Here is Isaiah 9:6 from the Complete Jerusalem Bible (CJB)
“For a child is born to us, a son is given to us; dominion will rest on his shoulders, and he will be given the name Pele-Yo'etz El Gibbor Avi-'Ad Sar-Shalom [Wonder of a Counselor, Mighty God, Father of Eternity, Prince of Peace],”
Now some of you may be thinking, What kind of name is “Pele-Yo'etz El Gibbor Avi-'Ad Sar-Shalom”?
Please notice that in all these translations that you have read say that his NAME, as in, a SINGLE name, a singular name, shall be called..... and then many names, or many titles, as in, more than just one name or more than one title, is given. Well this is because in the original Hebrew it is just ONE name or one title, but the ONE name or the one title has many different meanings to describe this child that is being prophesied to be born. But we as Christian already understand and BELIEVE that this prophesy is speaking of Jesus.
With that being said I want to draw your attention to the phrase “Father OF ETERNITY”, which now lets us see the “possibility”of not only Jesus becoming a Father, but more specifically that Jesus has become the Father OF “ETERNITY” by being the FIRST man to ever be raised from the dead and then GIVEN ETERNAL LIFE by his God and Father the one true and only ALMIGHTY God, the Father of ALL as we have just seen.
So then, we can conclude that Isaiah 9:6 speaking of “The everlasting Father” is NOT referring to Jesus as actually being Almighty God the ETERNAL FATHER, but rather it is speaking of Jesus coming the Father or the GIVER of ETERNAL LIFE to those who BELIEVE in him and the ONLY POTENTATE who SENT his Son to be the savior of mankind.
Now some may say, well what about Isaiah 9:6 calling Jesus “The mighty God”? Does this not prove that Jesus IS God?
The answer is YES, it does prove that Jesus IS God, but is does NOT prove that Jesus is THE ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God who ALONE is the FATHER.
You see, the original Hebrew words that are TRANSLATED as “The mighty God” are “gibbor”, which means mighty one, mighty warrior, special guard, mighty and strong, and “el”, which means God, mighty one, as a TITLE of majesty and power. This Hebrew word “el” is also used for god, gods and even FALSE gods.
In other words, “el gibbor” is a TITLE of Jesus being a MIGHTY ONE of POWER and AUTHORITY, but in the LIGHT of the rest of God's word we can CLEARLY and PLAINLY see that Jesus could do NOTHING in and of himself. That is to say every thing that Jesus is was GIVEN to him BY hid God and Father, the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God.
Now some may still argue and say, Mark, you are just changing the definitions of these words to fit your own personal beliefs.
Well for these stubborn few please consider the experts in the Greek language and check out the online Interlinear Hebrew Bible where they give you the LITERAL translation without any BIASED interpretation. Just click on the link, then scroll down to find Isaiah or what ever book you would like, then click on the charter you desire to read. This is a great Bible study tool.
Here is the English only without the Hebrew from the Interlinear Hebrew Bible.
Remember this is a word for word LITERAL translation so it may not make sense unless you really meditate on it in the light of all the evidence that we have looked at in this study of God's word to learn what Isaiah 9:6 means.
“that boy he is born to us a son is given to us and she shall become the chieftainship on shoulder blade of him and he shall call name of him one marvelous one counseling El masterful Father of future chief of well being”
So Jesus is “El masterful” and “Father of FUTURE”.
Remember that “El” means a mighty one of power and authority and one of the meanings of masterful is a good teacher. Remember when Jesus was called master meaning that he was a teacher of the scriptures. And certainly Jesus became a master of the scriptures. Jesus also teaches us how to use the power and the authority that God has given us in the name of his Son Jesus.
And in this literal translation we see that Jesus is called the Father of the FUTURE, which agrees with Jesus being the Father of ETERNITY I suppose from the moment that he ascended up to be seated at the right hand of his God and Father's throne. But most assuredly Jesus will reign in his Father's place beginning at his second coming for 1000 years.
In closing I would like to say that YES Jesus did indeed come FROM the Father. Jesus was born as a MAN or a HUMAN being, but at the same time his birth was UNIQUE and UNLIKE the birth of any other human being. The bible clearly teaches us this truth.
However, it is only the INTERPRETATION of some who dogmatically teach that because humans can beget only humans, then this proves that Almighty God can ONLY beget DIVINITY. So therefore Jesus is DEITY or a DIVINE being.
But again this does NOT prove that Jesus is THE ALMIGHTY God. Besides God is God and he can beget whatever he chooses to beget. In other words, Almighty God can speak forth his Word and the Word could have become FULLY GOD. Or the Word could have become FULLY GOD and FULLY human FLESH at the SAME time. But the word of TRUTH clearly and plainly teaches us that the Word BECAME FLESH and NOT FULLY God and FULLY FLESH at the SAME time. This is just an INTERPRETATION.
And even IF this INTERPRETATION were true this still does not prove that Jesus is the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God who ALONE is the FATHER. And even if we INTERPRET that Jesus is of a DIVINE NATURE, because his Father is a DIVINE being, this still does NOT make Jesus to be the SUPREME HIGHEST divine being.
And even IF we assume that Jesus must without fail be a DIVINE being Philippians 2:4-11 clearly teaches us that Jesus did not even THINK to grasp or to take by force and make himself EQUAL with God.
"Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
5. Let this MIND be IN YOU, which was ALSO in Christ Jesus:
6. WHO, BEING in the form of God, thought it NOT robbery to be equal with God (or Jesus did not even think or Jesus thought it NOT to rob or take by force to be equal with God. Now some have INCORRECTLY interpreted this to mean that Jesus did NOT consider it to be wrong to be EQUAL with God. Now IF this INTERPRETATION were true, then this SAME MIND of being EQUAL with God should be IN US as well just like verse 5 teaches us. But this is NOT a correct interpretation of this verse. We will look at a few other translations which will make it clear as to what this verse is truly saying.):
7. But made himself of NO REPUTATION, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of MEN:(in other words, what ever form Jesus WAS before the Word was MADE or BECAME flesh was laid aside and willingly stripped away so that the Word could take on COMPLETELY the form of a human being so that he could be tempted in all point just like we are tempted)
9. WHEREFORE (or for this very REASON of Jesus becoming OBEDIENT unto death on the cross) God ALSO has HIGHLY EXALTED him, and GIVEN him a NAME which is above every name:
10. That at the NAME of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11. And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, TO the glory of God THE Father."
Please read Philippians 2:5-8 from a couple other translations that clearly teach us that the Word laid aside his divine nature to become FULLY a MAN.
Here is Philippians 2:5-8 from Complete Jerusalem Bible.
"Let your attitude toward one another be governed by your being in union with the Messiah Yeshua:
6. Though he was in the form of God, he did NOT regard equality with God something to be possessed by force.
7. On the contrary, he EMPTIED HIMSELF, in that he took the form of a slave by becoming like human beings are. And when he appeared as a human being,
8. he humbled himself still more by becoming obedient even to death - death on a stake as a criminal!"
Here is Philippians 2:5-11 from the Weymouth New Testament.
"Let the same disposition be in you which was in Christ Jesus.
6. Although from the beginning He had the nature of God He did not reckon His equality with God a treasure to be tightly grasped.
7. Nay, He STRIPPED Himself of His glory, and took on Him the nature of a bond servant by becoming a MAN like other MEN.
8. And being recognized as TRULY HUMAN, He humbled Himself and even stooped to die; yes, to die on a cross.
9. It is in consequence of this that God has also so highly exalted Him, and has conferred on Him the Name which is supreme above every other,
10. in order that in the Name of JESUS every knee should bow, of beings in Heaven, of those on the earth, and of those in the underworld,
11. and that every tongue should confess that JESUS CHRIST is LORD, to the glory of God the Father."
So then, what ever the nature of the form of the Word that was with God from the beginning BEFORE the Word BECAME or was MADE FLESH is not what we are talking about. But rather we are looking to understand Isaiah 9:6 in the light of AFTER this child was BORN as a HUMAN BEING. Who was this EARTHLY HUMAN Jesus? Was Jesus GOD, being FULLY God, as in, was Jesus ALMIGHTY God in the FLESH as some teach by the doctrines of the trinity and the deity of Jesus? Or was Jesus the Son of God and the Son o MAN as the Bible CLEARLY and PLAINLY teaches? The Bible teaches us as Christians that there is but ONE God, who is the FATHER and ONE LORD who is Jesus the Christ, the SON of Almighty God the Father.
Please read 1 Corinthians 8:5,6.
"For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods MANY, and lords many,)
Also understand that God is a TITLE like a KING is a TITLE. So just because Jesus IS God does NOT mean that Jesus is THE ALMIGHTY God who ALONE is the FATHER. Please read the studies “IS JESUS ALMIGHTY GOD?” and “ONE GOD IS ONE!” for a deeper understanding that the word of TRUTH, the Holy Bible, does indeed clearly and plainly teach that there is MORE than just ONE God, but there is ONLY ONE ALMIGHTY God who ALONE is the Father.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God. Below are some other verses that are used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity and the deity of Jesus. There may be other verses which you may be having trouble seeing any other way that what you were dogmatically taught, but I assure you that each and every verse used by those who teach the doctrine of the trinity does indeed have a different meaning that does NOT CONTRADICT any other part of God's word.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE
Verses used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus the CHRIST.
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE