WAS JESUS ONE OF THE THREE MEN WHO APPEARED TO ABRAHAM?
Does Genesis teach us that Jesus IS YEHWEH or Almighty God HIMSELF who appeared to Abraham? In other words, was one of the three MEN or ANGELS who appeared in the form of men Jesus? To say this another way, since NO man has EVER SEEN the INVISIBLE Almighty God himself at any time, then is the YEHWEH, one of the THREE men or angels, who appeared to Abraham in Genesis being SEEN as a MAN. Let me say this one other way. Did Almighty God MANIFEST himself to become one of these three men who appeared to Abraham?
I ask these questions, because some Christians use this passage of scripture to try and prove that Jesus preexisted. And other Christians use this same passage of scripture to try and prove that Jesus is Almighty God the Father himself.
The reasoning of those who teach that Jesus preexisted and that Jesus is YEHWEH goes something like this: "Clearly knowing that Almighty God the Father has NEVER been SEEN by any man, then the YEHWEH who was seen by Abraham must have been the PREEXISTING Jesus, because Yehweh was SEEN by the MAN Abraham." And them some conclude further: "Since the preexisting Jesus was seen by the MAN Abraham and this man is clearly identified as YEHWEH, then this proves that Jesus IS YEHWEH."
But does the word of TRUTH clearly teach us that Yehweh HIMSELF was indeed SEEN by Abraham? You see, the word that is translated as “APPEARED” does not always mean to be SEEN with the physical eye, but rather also means to PERCEIVE or to UNDERSTAND.
You can read Genesis chapter 18 first to refresh your memory if you would like and then we will go to some other verses where God APPEARED to others but Yehweh himself was NOT ACTUALLY SEEN with the physical eyes of those to whom he APPEARED.
In Genesis chapter 18 we read that the Lord, speaking of Almighty God himself, APPEARED to Abraham. So immediately many Christians ASSUME that Abraham SAW Almighty God face to face in a human form as being ONE of the three men. Before we actually read this entire context and go over it verse by verse I want to begin this study in God's word by reading some other passages of scripture where God has APPEARED to different people WITHOUT actually being SEEN with the physical eye.
In other words, the word “APPEARED” does not dogmatically demand that a person must without fail actually SEE God or SEE a form of God where God MANIFEST himself in another form. This word translated as "appeared" literally means to PERCEIVE or to UNDERSTAND. So when God appeared to Abraham and he HEARD Almighty God speaking, then Abraham PERCEIVED that it was Almighty God, who was SPEAKING to him. Again we will go verse by verse over Genesis chapter 18 further on in this study, but first please closely consider these other APPEARANCES of God where Almighty God appears in a vision, a dream or in VOICE ONLY.
“And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God, that appeared unto you WHEN you fled from the face of Esau your brother.”
But the question is HOW did the Yehweh APPEAR to Jacob WHEN Jacob FLED from the face of Esau his brother.
The following passages of scripture are the WAYS is which Almighty God APPEARED to Jacob.
In Genesis 28:31 God APPEARS to Jacob in a DREAM.
In Genesis 31:3 Yehweh SPOKE to Jacob.
In Genesis 31:11-13 an ANGEL of the Lord spoke t Jacob in a DREAM.
In Genesis 32:1-3 the ANGELS of God met Jacob.
In Genesis 32:24-29 Jacob wrestles with a man, which is obviously an ANGEL, but Jacob incorrectly believes that he has actually SEEN God face to face and has lived.
Others have seen angels and claimed that they have seen God, but Jesus himself said NO MAN has ever SEEN God. And then we also read in 1 Timothy 6:14-16, which clearly teaches us that man CANNOT SEE God.
The Bible also teaches us that God is NOT a MAN nor is God the Son of MAN. So these occurrences in the Bible where it SEEMS like people have SEEN Almighty God are just that. It only SEEMS like people have seen God, when in truth they have just seen a vision of God or they had a dream of God or they just HEARD God's voice, or God sent an ANGEL to speak in his behalf.
Please read Judges 13:20-25, where a husband and his wife see an ANGEL of the Lord, but yet they still SAY or claim that they have actually SEEN GOD. The TRUTH of the matter is that they did NOT actually SEE Almighty God HIMSELF, but rather they saw an ANGEL OF the Lord God Almighty.
“For it came to pass, when the flame went up toward heaven from off the altar, that the angel of the LORD ascended in the flame of the altar. And Manoah and his wife looked on it, and fell on their faces to the ground.
22. And Manoah said unto his wife, We shall surely die, because we have SEEN God. (now if one were to take this verse OUT of context and the person reading this one verse alone and apart from the rest of God's word, then certainly one might be convinced that people have actually SEEN God. But when this verse is LEFT in the context of where it is found, then it becomes very clear that Manoah nor his wife actually SAW God at all, but rather what they saw was a ANGEL of God. Go back and read this verses right before verse 22 if you missed what they actually saw right before they claimed that they had SEEN God and you will see that they saw an ANGEL of God. So the ANGEL which they SAW was NOT actually Almighty God himself APPEARING in the FORM of an ANGEL like some dogmatically demand that happened with Abraham when he HEARD God's VOICE and then after hearing God's VOICE Abraham lifted up his eyes and LOOKED, which is when he SAW these three men. Again we will get to that passage of scripture shortly, but first let us continue with these other appearances of God where people HEARD God, but they did not actually SEE God.)
23. But his wife said unto him, If the LORD were pleased to kill us, he would not have received a burnt offering and a meat offering at our hands, neither would he have showed us all these things, nor would as at this time have told us such things as these.
Then in Genesis 48:1-4 it starts out that Joseph and Jacob HEARD a voice telling them something. This could have been an audible voice or an inner voice. Or it could have been a angel. All we read is that ONE TOLD Joseph and ONE TOLD Jacob, but the word of God does not expound HOW this occurred. It may be that ONE told them in a DREAM or in a VISION or by an actual appearance of an ANGEL.
Now in verse 3 Jacob comes straight out and CLAIMS or tells Joseph that Almighty God himself APPEARED to him. However, if so be that Almighty God himself appeared to Jacob, then this would CONTRADICT the words of Jesus which clearly teaches us that NO MAN has EVER SEEN Almighty God.
“And it came to pass after these things, that one told Joseph, Behold, your father is sick: and he took with him his two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim.
Again HOW did the Lord God Almighty Yehweh APPEAR to Jacob? This is important, because IF Jacob actually SAW Almighty God himself, then we have a CONTRADICTION in the Bible. But if this APPEARING was not actually a face to face SEEING of Almighty God himself, then Jesus spoke the TRUTH when he said NO MAN has EVER SEEN God.
Let us now go to Genesis 28:10-22, which teaches us that Almighty God APPEARED to Jacob NOT face to face as one would ASSUME by reading just Genesis 48:3 alone and apart from the rest of God's word, but rather when the WHOLE word of God is consider, then it becomes quite clear that Almighty God APPEARED to Jacob in a DREAM or a night VISION.
In other words, the phrase “and the LORD APPEARED to...” does NOT dogmatically mean without fail that the invisible God LITERALLY APPEARED is a physical form such as an angel or a man, but rather this word “appeared” simple means that God can APPEAR to us in a DREAM, in a VISION, by sending an ANGEL, by an AUDIBLE VOICE, or by his small still INNER VOICE of his Holy Spirit.
Please read genesis 28:10-22.
11. And he lighted upon a certain place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep.
14. And your seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in you and in your seed shall all the families of the earth be BLESSED.
15. And, behold, I am with you, and will keep you in all places whither you go, and will bring you again into this land; for I will not leave you, until I have done that which I have spoken to you of.
22. And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that you shall give me I will surely give the tenth unto you.”
So then, in Genesis 48:1-4 Jacob tells his son Joseph that the Lord God Almighty APPEARED to him WHEN he was in LUZ. And then we read in Genesis 28:10-22 of this APPEARANCE of the Lord God Almighty to Jacob where we find that Almighty God APPEARED to Jacob is a DREAM or a night VISION.
In other words, the phrase “and the LORD APPEARED to...” does NOT dogmatically mean without fail that the invisible God LITERALLY APPEARED is a physical form. God can APPEAR to us in a DREAM, in a VISION, by sending an ANGEL, by an AUDIBLE VOICE, or by his small still INNER VOICE of his Holy Spirit.
The Hebrew word that is TRANSLATED as “APPEARED” is “RAAH” which has a variety of meanings. The root meaning of this Hebrew word is to SEE either literally or figuratively. This SEEING can be directly, by implication, or by causation. The seeing can be by perceiving, observing, discerning, get acquainted with and to understand. Seeing can also be by feeling. Seeing can be by ascertaining such as people saw that the Lord was WITH the prophet by the works that were done by his hand. They SAW the Lord, but actually what they SAW was the WORKS of the Lord working through the hands of the prophet of God.
Therefore when the Lord APPEARED to Abraham it was THEN AFTER this APPEARANCE of the Lord as to when Abraham lifted UP his eyes and LOOKED, then Abraham SAW THREE MEN. You see dear child of God SEEING these three MEN does NOT DOGMATICALLY mean without fail that one of these three MEN or ANGELS was Almighty God HIMSELF APPEARING as a human being or an ANGEL.
I myself believe that the Lord appeared to Abraham as an audible VOICE and THEN Abraham SAW these THREE MEN approaching his tent. Or Abraham HEARD the VOICE of Almighty God as he was seeing these three men approaching.
Please read again Genesis chapter 18:1-33 with God APPEARING to Abraham in VOICE ONLY and perhaps even seeming like this VOICE of Almighty God came from or near one of the ANGELS being in the form of men.
“And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: (please notice the translators colon, which indicates that there is a time lapse before the next event takes place) and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;
2. And he lift up his eyes and LOOKED, and, lo (or being perceiving), three men stood by him: and WHEN he SAW them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground, (So then, to ME, when I read these two verses together it sounds like Abraham first HEARD the Lord speak to him and recognized that Yehweh was APPEARING to him or the Almighty was revealing himself to Abraham. So then, AFTER HEARING the VOICE of Almighty God Abraham then lifted UP his EYES to SEE the Lord God the Almighty. BUT it was WHEN Abraham began to LOOK that he perceived three MEN standing before his tent so Abraham got up and ran to greet these three men PERCEIVING that this is WHAT Almighty God wanted him to do, but not knowing for certain that this is what Yehweh wanted Abraham to do. In other words, verse 3-5 are kind of like a FLEECE that Abraham puts before the Lord saying that IF you have sent these three men to me Lord let me show my hospitality and if they receive it, then THEREFORE I will know that you Lord have SENT them and you have come to your servant Abraham.)
5. And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort you your hearts; after that you shall pass on: for therefore are you come to your servant. And they said, So do, as you have said. (here we see Abraham getting confirmation from God that he did indeed SEND these three men to him and that it was indeed the Almighty God SPEAKING to him)
9. And they said unto him, Where is Sarah your wife? (Now did all three of these angels who appeared as men ask this question at the same time or did just one of these angels speak in behalf of all three? And if so be that it was just one angel speaking and this one angel was indeed the Almighty God himself, then the question arises why word and all knowing God need to ask where Sarah was, because he would already know if so be that one of the angels was indeed the Almighty God if so be Almighty God is truly all knowing.) And he said, Behold, in the tent.
10. And he said, I will certainly RETURN unto you according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah your wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him. (In Genesis chapter 21 we see that God does indeed RETURN as he had promised but we do not see any evidence of Almighty God being SEEN by Abraham nor his wife Sarah on his RETURN visit. Now to ME, the term RETURN carries the idea that God will APPEAR to Abraham and his wife Sarah again in the SAME WAY that he APPEARED to them when he said that he would RETURN. So to ME I see both of these appearances of god as being in VOICE ONLY and that Almighty God himself was NOT actually SEEN in the form of a man at either appearance.)
16. And the MEN rose up from thence, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to bring them on the way. (Please notice that this verse says that the MEN rose up and looked toward Sodom and we all AGREE that this means ALL THREE MEN rose up and NOT just TWO of the three men rose up. Now compare this SAME wording of the MEN rising up and looking toward Sodom as clearly meaning ALL THREE MEN to verse 22 below where we see this SAME wording of the MEN leaving Abraham and going toward Sodom to see what the actual degree of wickedness truly is in Sodom, but in that verse some INTERPRET this to mean that ONLY TWO men left and ONE man remained behind whom they further INTERPRET as being ALMIGHTY God HIMSELF APPEARING in the FORM of a man face to face with Abraham. Now I myself interpret BOTH of the verses the SAME way where ALL THREE men are clearly seen rising up and leaving Abraham ALONE communing with the INVISIBLE God by VOICE ONLY.)
19. For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD (Yehweh), to do justice and judgment; that the LORD (Yehweh) may bring upon Abraham that which he has spoken of him.
21. I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know (Now to ME, the MOST HIGH ALMIGHTY God who sits upon throne being MAJESTY and KING over all does not leave his throne and PERSONALLY go down to the earth, but rather he SENDS his host, being the ANGELS, his creation whether it be and animal, a plant such as a bush or a human being, or his very own self same Holy Spirit, which was NOT SEEN, but rather HEARD to do or say whatever Almighty God needs to be done or said. In the NEW Testament only we see that Almighty God sent his SON Jesus out into the world to REVEAL himself to mankind. Also as a side note; the question arises as to WHY does an ALL KNOWING God need to send his angels to find OUT IF it is true that Sodom has become so wicked? I mean to me. would not an all knowing God already know if these cries coming up to him were true or not? Just something to THINK about. Please read the study called "THE SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD!" which gives us a sound BIBLICAL meaning of Almighty God being Sovereign rather than the man made doctrine of the Sovereignty of God. But for now back to the three men who appeared to Abraham which we know from the CONTEXT were ANGELS sent by Almighty God).
22. And the MEN (who we know were ANGELS by the context of next chapter, which we will get to shortly) turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD. (Please notice that the word of TRUTH does NOT say that just TWO or these men left and ONE stayed behind. But rather the clear word of God says that the MEN turned and went toward Sodom. Now the reason that they came down was to see IF it was true that Sodom had become so wicked and needed to be destroyed. In other words, it is only ASSUMED that only TWO angels left and the ONE angel who SUPPOSEDLY remained behind was ALMIGHTY God HIMSELF. But the way that I myself interpret these verses in the light of the whole word of God is that ALL THREE men or angels left Abraham ALONE who was COMMUNING with the Lord God the Almighty by VOICE ONLY, which means that Abraham did NOT actually SEE the Lord YEHWEH, but rather Abraham only HEARD the VOICE of the Almighty.)
25. That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from you: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?
33. And the LORD (Yehweh) went his way, as soon as he had left COMMUNING with Abraham (again the Lord COMMUNES with his people WITHOUT being SEEN. In other words, Almighty God appeared to Abraham in a VOICE ONLY, because other parts of God's word clearly teach us that Almighty God has NEVER been seen by MAN nor can EVER be SEEN by man.): and Abraham returned unto his place.”
Now some of you may be thinking something like, “Mark, you always talk about CONTEXT, so READ the next chapter and you will clearly see that it plainly says that TWO angels came to Sodom and NOT all THREE angels, and this is why ONE angel, appearing in the form of a man stayed behind, who spoke with Abraham while the other TWO angels went to Sodom. Read the CONTEXT Mark!”
Well I did indeed read the context in the next and I COMMUNED with the Lord about there only being TWO angels myself, but something on the inside on me kept saying to me read it AGAIN. But each time I read it again I kept getting the same TWO angels like I have always been TAUGHT. I mean the words in this next chapter plainly say TWO angels came to Sodom. But then the Holy Spirit led me to look up the meaning of the word “TWO”. No while I was listening to the Holy Spirit I was saying in myself, "Really Lord, you want me to look up the meaning of the word “TWO”?" I thought to myself could the word “TWO” mean anything other than “TWO”, but I obeyed this small still voice within me and I looked up the meaning of the word “TWO”, but before I share what I found let us read Genesis 19:1-3 to refresh the memory of some who may not have read this passage of scripture for awhile.
2 And he said, Behold now, my lords (here we see Lot giving these angels the same hospitality that Abraham gave these these three men or angles. Now if you read this entire chapter there is NO indication as to how MANY lords or men or angels appearing as men that Lot invited into his house. In other words, verse number one is the only verse where there SEEMS to be only TWO angels appearing as men, but in a moment you will see as I have seen that there were actually THREE men who came to Sodom that evening as you continue this study in God's word), turn in, I pray you, into your servant's house, and tarry all night, and wash your feet, and you shall rise up early, and go on your ways. And they said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night.
As I said a moment ago the Holy Spirit impressed upon me to look up the meaning of the word “TWO” so after arguing awhile with myself I eventually obeyed the leading of the Holy Spirit and looked up the meaning of the Hebrew word that is TRANSLATED as “TWO” in Genesis 19:1 and here is what I found.
The Hebrew word is “senayim” Strongs #8147 and does indeed mean two, but the root word “seni” Strong's #8145 means second or AGAIN. I was then impressed by the Holy Spirit to take the Strong's numbers and look them up in a more expanded dictionary of Hebrew words. So I obeyed the leading of the Holy Spirit and I looked upon these Strong's numbers in the Strong's Expanded exhaustive concordance of the Bible and I found that the root meaning of this word was double, dual, second, again, another, time, a second time, twofold, both, and yes this Hebrew word “senayim”also means two.
But in the light of all these other meanings this word could just as easily be translated as “AGAIN” or “A SECOND TIME”, because the literally meaning of this Hebrew word actually means SECOND or ANOTHER. In other words, the FIRST time that the angels went to Sodom was to SEE if it were TRUE that the wickedness had become so wicked that it need to be destroyed. But in Genesis chapter 19 we can clearly see that this was the SECOND TIME that the angels visited Sodom, because THIS TIME they did NOT come to SEE if these cities were are wicked as the cries that came up to heaven, but rather on this SECOND visit to Sodom the angels came at evening time to rescue Lot and his family and then DESTROY Sodom and Gomorrah.
Let us substitute the literal meaning of this Hebrew word which means AGAIN or a SECOND TIME for the translated English word “TWO” so you can better see what I am saying.
Here is my own translation using the literal meaning of this Hebrew word that is normally translated as two in many Bibles.
“And there came AGAIN a SECOND TIME angels to Sodom at even (evening time); and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground;”
Now when we read the entire CONTEXT we no longer see just TWO angels leaving Abraham and going to Sodom in order to SEE IF the cries coming up to heaven were TRUE, but rather is becomes clearer that ALL THREE MEN or ALL THREE angels in Genesis 18:16 rose up and ALL THREE MEN or angels looked toward Sodom.
“16. And the MEN rose up from thence, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with THEM to bring them on the way. (Please notice that this verse says that the MEN rose up and looked toward Sodom and we all AGREE that this means ALL THREE MEN rose up and NOT just TWO of the three men rose up. Now compare this SAME wording of the MEN rising up and looking toward Sodom as clearly meaning ALL THREE MEN to verse 22 below where we see this SAME wording of the MEN leaving Abraham and going toward Sodom to see what the actual degree of wickedness truly is in Sodom, but in that verse some INTERPRET this to mean that ONLY TWO men left and ONE man remained behind whom they further INTERPRET as being ALMIGHTY God HIMSELF speaking in the FORM of a man face to face with Abraham. Now I myself interpret BOTH of the verses the SAME way where ALL THREE men are clearly seen rising up and leaving Abraham ALONE communing with the INVISIBLE God by VOICE ONLY.)”
So then, when we COMPARE scripture with scripture and read verse 22 where these same words are spoken about the MEN leaving towards Sodom on the FIRST visit to SEE if is was TRUE about the wickedness of Sodom, then is should be clearly understood that ALL THREE MEN or angels left Abraham ALONE to commune with the Lord speaking to him from heaven by VOICE ONLY.
Here is Genesis 18:22.
“22. And the MEN (who we know were ANGELS by the next chapter, which we will get to shortly) turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD. (Please notice that the word of TRUTH does NOT say that just TWO or these men left and ONE stayed behind. But rather the clear word of God says that the MEN turned and went toward Sodom. Now the reason that they came down was to see IF it was true that Sodom had become so wicked and needed to be destroyed. In other words, it is only ASSUMED that only TWO angels left and the ONE angel who SUPPOSEDLY remained behind was ALMIGHTY God HIMSELF. But the way that I myself interpret these verses in the light of the whole word of God is that ALL THREE men or angels left Abraham ALONE who was COMMUNING with the Lord God the Almighty by VOICE ONLY, which means that Abraham did NOT actually SEE the Lord YEHWEH, but only HEARD the Almighty.)”
Please keep in mind that verse 22 is speaking of the FIRST visit of these THREE angels to Sodom to SEE if it were TRUE about the cries of wickedness. Then in chapter 19 we see that this is the SECOND visit of the THREE angels to DESTROY Sodom after the deliver the RIGHTEOUS out of the city.
In other words, in chapter 19 these THREE angels are NOT on their FIRST visit to SEE if these cities were are wicked and the cries said there were, but rather this was the SECOND TIME that these THREE angels came to Sodom and this time it was to DESTROY these cities for their wickedness of SODOMY and HOMOSEXUALITY.
Now some of you may want to argue and say that I am just changing the word of God to meet my own personal interpretation of God's word, but in TRUTH I am just giving you the facts that I have found in the course of my own studying and as always I leave it to you the reader to make you own decisions on what you want to believe or not believe. The number one rule of INTERPRETATION is to interpret the VAGUE verses in the LIGHT of the clear, plain and simple verses. So all I am doing is interpreting these vague verses in Genesis in the LIGHT of the clear plain and simple words of Jesus himself who clearly taught us that NO MAN has EVER seen God. Therefore to ME to INTERPRET that one of these ANGELS was Almighty God himself is to CONTRADICT the SIMPLE words of Jesus.
IF SO BE that one accepts the INTERPRETATION that Jesus IS one of these ANGELS, then that would be saying that Jesus is a ANGEL. And seeing the Jesus is the SON OF Almighty God, then this would be saying that Almighty God himself was a ANGEL who had a SON who was an ANGEL.
As always the studies that I write I do so for those who are struggling with the same questions that I myself have had in my life and I am just sharing with my readers and the seekers of the TRUTH what I myself have found to be the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God.
So in conclusion I myself believe that this word “TWO” should have been more accurately translated as AGAIN or as SECOND TIME, which to ME better fits the WHOLE meaning of the text, because clearly the angels went to Sodom TWO different times. The FIRST time was so that the three angels could SEE if it were TRUE about the cries that came up to heaven and then report back to Almighty God as to what they saw on this FIRST visit to Sodom. And the SECOND TIME these three angels came AGAIN to Sodom on this SECOND VISIT they came to DESTROY these cities that were found to be TRULY wicked according to the cries that came up to heaven about their wickedness.
Therefore I also conclude that neither Almighty God himself, NOR his Son Jesus appeared if a human form or in the form of an angel to Abraham as ONE of these three angels who appeared in the form of three MEN. To say this another way, I myself do NOT believe that Genesis chapters 18 and 19 prove beyond any shadow of a doubt that Jesus PREEXISTED as a Spirit being who could transform into a human being or as an angel and then appear to people in the Old testament. In other words, I myself believe that Jesus did indeed have a BEGINNING and therefore Jesus did NOT preexist BEFORE his being born of the virgin Mary. Please read the study "DID JESUS HAVE A BEGINNING?" and "DID JESUS PREEXIST AS THE SON OF GOD?" for a deeper understand that Jesus is the SON OF Almighty God the Father whom his God and Father brought forth into existence on a certain day.
Now what the "WORD" that was with God in the beginning was BEFORE the "WORD" was MADE or BECAME a human being is NOT what I am speaking about in these studies that I write. I agree that Almighty God is perfectly capable of MANIFESTING himself in any form he may choose. But I also believe that the entire EVIDENCE of God's word far better supports the truth that Almighty God APPEARED to people in the Old Testament NOT as a so called “THEOPHANY” of Jesus, but rather these appearances of Almighty God was the VOICE OF Almighty God that was HEARD. In other words, people in the Old Testament HEARD God's voice, as in, his MESSAGE was spoken in his behalf by and angel or a prophet of God or people HEARD the voice of God directly the same way that we today HEAR God's voice of his Holy Spirit. I myself choose to believe the word's of Jesus who clearly said that NO MAN has EVER SEEN God. So I take this to mean that NO MAN has EVER SEEN God nor EVER shall be able to see God in their MORTAL bodies.
Jesus said if you have SEEN me then you have SEEN the FATHER. But this does NOT mean that the disciples who actually SAW Jesus face to face were actually seeing Almighty God face to face. It puzzles me that those who teach the doctrine of the trinity use this verse where Jesus says if you have seen me then you have seen the FATHER to try and prove that Jesus is Almighty God because this would CONTRADICT their own doctrine that clearly states that Jesus is NOT the FATHER. The Bible clearly and plainly teaches us that Jesus is NOT the FATHER, but rather that Jesus is the EXPRESS IMAGE of his God and Father, who came to SHOW us the Father to be the one true and only Almighty God.
In the same way, IF SO BE that ONE of these angels did remain behind while only TWO angels went to destroy Sodom, then this angel was speaking in behalf of Almighty God or Almighty God was speaking directly to Abraham by the voice of his Holy Spirit while this angel was standing by Abraham's side. Either way I myself do not believe that Almighty God actually manifested himself to appear in the form of a man or in the form of an angel. The WHOLE word of God just does NOT soundly support such an INTERPRETATION. Again always interpret the hard vague verses in the light of the SIMPLE plain and clear verses.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God. Below are some other verses that are used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity and the deity of Jesus and that Jesus preexisted with God for all eternity. There may be other verses which you may be having trouble seeing any other way than what you were dogmatically taught over and over for so long, but I assure you that each and every verse used by those who teach the doctrine of the trinity or the doctrine of oneness also known as Modalism does indeed have a different meaning that does NOT CONTRADICT any other part of God's word. If there is a verse that I have not listed please do not hesitate to write and let me know. Some verses are included in others studies and they may not appear as an individual study. If there is a verse of verses that you seem to struggle with only being able to see the doctrine of the trinity or the doctrine of oneness when you read this verse, then please search out the truth by listening to the other side of the controversy. No one can arrive at the truth by hearing only ONE side of the controversy. I only present you with ALL the evidence that I myself have found and leave it to you to decide what you want to believe.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE
Verses used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus the CHRIST.
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE