SABBATH, SUNDAY, or NEITHER?
There are basically four groups of Christians, when considering this subject;
#1. Christians who keep the Sabbath day,
#2. Christians who observe Sunday,
#3. Christians who keep both the Sabbath day and Sunday,
#4. Christians who do not observe or keep either day.
So then, the question arises:
Is it a matter of SALVATION?
In other words, some, if not most Christians in group number one, who KEEP the Sabbath day on the SEVENTH day, dogmatically demand that if a Christian does NOT KEEP the Sabbath day ON the SEVENTH day, then they are SINNING and therefore they must repent of their sin by keeping the Sabbath day ON the SEVENTH day. And if they do NOT repent of their SIN of NOT keeping the Sabbath day ON the SEVENTH day, then those Christians will lose their salvation and NOT obtain eternal life in the world to come.
To say this another way, there are Christians among ALL of these four groups of Christians, who do indeed keep the FOURTH commandment of God as a matter of salvation, while other Christians among ALL four of these groups teach that they keep the commandments of God ONLY because they are ALREADY saved and NOT to be saved, and others even to remain saved and that keeping the commandments in NOT a matter of salvation at all, because that would make being saved a WORKS bases salvation that is EARN and thus eternal life would no longer be a GIFT of God.
And this latter group of Christians, who keep the commandments of God NOT to become saved, but rather because they ARE already saved is divided into two groups of Christians, which are those, who believe that a Christian can indeed LOSE their salvation, and those Christian, who believe that once a person is saved they can NEVER lose their salvation no matter what.
In other words, some groups of Christians teach that we are saved by grace alone through faith and NOT of WORKS lest any man should boast quoting Ephesians 2:8-10 as their Biblical proof text and thus they conclude based upon this verse that keeping the commandments of God is NOT a requirement for salvation, because the keeping of the commandments is WORKS and Ephesians says that we are NOT saved BY WORKS.
“For BY grace are you saved THROUGH faith; and THAT (neither the grace nor the faith that brings salvation is) NOT of yourselves: IT (all three; grace, faith, and salvation or more precisely salvation that is obtained by grace through faith that is NOT of ourselves, but rather all three things) is the GIFT of God:
9. NOT of WORKS, lest any man should boast.”
Now when we read this verse alone and apart from the rest of God's word it certainly SEEMS that doing good works of righteousness is a “FRUIT” produce by BEING SAVED and therefore doing good works does NOT appear to be a REQUIREMENT of being saved.
Thus some Christians conclude that keeping the commandments of God is a by product of being saved and therefore keeping the commandments of God is NOT a matter of SALVATION in any manner, because that would be a WORKS based salvation. Meaning that keeping the commandments of God to SOME Christians is considered LEGALISM and a WORKS based salvation and therefore those Christians, who try and keep the commandments of God as a MATTER of salvation are accused of legalism or keeping the LAW and according to these Christians those Christians, who keep the commandments of God are fallen from grace.
But what does the Bible ITSELF teach us?
Certainly every true born again Christian has a KNOWING deep in their heart that it is WRONG to break the commandments of God.
Now their HEAD knowledge may tell them that it is NOT a matter of salvation, but their HEART tells them that they MUST obey the commandments of God, because God has written his laws on every heart of every true born again believer.
So certainly all true born again Christians AGREE that it is WRONG to SIN and that breaking the commandments of God is SIN. This is God's law written upon our HEARTS. It is the LEADING of the Holy Spirit leading us NOT to SIN. And if we do give into to the temptation to sin, then the Holy Spirit convicts us of our sin. And this CONDEMNATION that comes from NOT walking after the Spirit is what leads us to confess and repent of our sin.
This WITNESS of the Holy Spirit is KNOWN in the HEART of every true born again believer, and this HEART knowledge AGREES with the whole word of God that clearly teaches us that if we do NOT keep the commandments of God, then we will NOT be granted to right to eat from the tree of eternal life in the world to come and therefore LOSE our salvation. Please read the in depth studies called “IS ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED BIBLICAL?”, and “WE AR NOT SAVED BY OUR OWN GOOD WORKS!” plus all the related studies on this subject the true meaning of salvation according to the Bible itself. But for now please read the words of Jesus himself in Revelation 22:11-15.
“He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still (or let them REMAIN condemned in their sins): and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.(or and let all the RIGHTEOUS receive their reward of eternal life)
12. And, behold, I come quickly (meaning like a FLASH of LIGHTENING in a moment and in a twinkling of an eye leaving no time to repent when I come again); and my REWARD is with me, to give every man ACCORDING as his WORK shall be.(those living in sin or who have died while living in sin shall receive the REWARD of DEATH for their unrighteous WORKS, and those of us who have remained faithful servants of RIGHTEOUSNESS shall receive our REWARD of ETERNAL LIFE at the second coming of Jesus. Those who repent of theirs sins and call on Jesus when they SEE Jesus AT his second coming will be saved ALIVE in the MORTAL bodies and go into the 1000 year reign of Jesus to be taught of the Lord in the MORTAL bodies. It will be too late to repent to receive eternal life AT the second coming of Jesus. TODAY is the day of salvation, so if you want eternal life to rule and reign WITH Jesus, then you MUST believe on Jesus NOW in this present world and be found his good and faith servant when you die or when he comes again.)
13. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
14. Blessed are they that DO HIS COMMANDMENTS (WHY? Why are we, who KEEP the COMMANDMENTS of God called BLESSED?), THAT (or so that) THEY (speaking of ONLY those Christians, who KEEP the COMMANDMENTS of Almighty God) may have RIGHT to the tree of LIFE, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
15. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whore mongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loves and makes a lie.”
You see dear child of God when when put ALL the pieces of God's word TOGETHER like a jigsaw puzzle being CORRECTLY put together without FORCING pieces together, then it becomes quite clear that we MUST obey the commandments of God IF SO BE we want to obtain the END of our salvation, which is ETERNAL LIFE in the world to come. So again please I implore you to read the studies on how to be saved along with the above mentioned studies along with all the related studies that are suggested within those studies.
Now the primary purpose of this particular study in God's word is focused upon which of the above four groups of Christians have SOUND Biblical teaching on the subject of;
Is it a matter of SALVATION?
#1. MUST Christians keep the Sabbath day as a day of rest ON the SEVENTH day of the week each and every week without fail in order to obtain eternal life in the world to come? And if so, then MUST they also keep the Sabbath day ACCORDING to the letter of the LAW of Moses keeping every jot and tittle of the TORAH?
#2. MUST Christians observe Sunday, the Lord's day as their day of worship in order to obtain eternal life in the world to come? And if so, then MUST they keep Sunday, the Lord's day as a day of REST to not do any work?
#3. MUST Christians keep BOTH days in order to obtain eternal life in the world to come? And if so, then MUST they keep the SEVENTH day as the Sabbath day according to the letter of the law of Moses and also keep Sunday as a day of REST with no work?
#4. Does it truly matter if NEITHER DAY is kept by Christians to REST in the eyes of God as a MATTER of SALVATION? And if so be that the Bible ITSELF teaches us that neither the keeping of Saturday, the Sabbath day as a day of REST, NOR the keeping of Sunday, the Lord's day as a day of REST is MANDATORY, then is it a SIN to neglect the assembling of ourselves together on a consistent regular weekly basis?
Those Christians in group #1, who are called Sabbath keepers by other Christians, dogmatically demand that we as Christians MUST without fail KEEP the SABBATH day ON the SEVENTH day of the week each and every week lest we SIN, argue that the keeping of the Sabbath day is the FOURTH COMMANDMENT and God does NOT CHANGE. Here is how the controversy goes between Sabbath keeping Christians and Sunday worshiping Christians.
Now “Protestant” Christians in group #2, group #3, and group #4 for the most part do NOT dogmatically demand that it is a SIN if a Christians misses going to church on Sunday now and then, but they do stress that it is BEST if a Christians attends church on a regular basis to NOT neglect their assembling of themselves together on Sunday, the Lord's day, based on the teachings of the disciples of Jesus.
Please read Hebrews 10:25.
“NOT forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as you see the day approaching.”
However, many Catholic Christians do indeed dogmatically demand that it is a MORTAL SIN worthy of hell to miss even ONE Sunday mass willingly and therefore not keeping the Lord's day holy to many Catholics is a SIN that must be confessed to the priest as soon as possible lest they be found guilty of a MORTAL sin, which to Catholics means they go straight to hell with no chance of going to “purgatory”, which is a Catholic doctrine of a place for them to suffer for their sins for only time and then be admitted to heaven. Please read the study “IS THE DOCTRINE OF PURGATORY BIBLICAL?”.
And then there are some Christians, which may be considered a part of the group mentioned in Hebrews 10:25 “as the manner of some is”, who do neglect the assembling of themselves together by not attending church on a regular weekly basis, or even not attending church anymore at all.
Now the question arises;
Should we judge those Christians, who do not attend church on a regular weekly basis as being SINNERS?
Now the reasons of why some Christians do NOT attend church on a regular basis can be many. My father for instance recommitted himself to the Lord a few years before his death and he never attended one day in church those last few years of his life, but he did read his Bible every night and I heard him many times sitting on the patio talking to God, so I have absolutely no doubt that he is in heaven now awaiting to receive his reward of eternal life at the second coming of Jesus.
Now I myself must confess that presently while writing this particular subject that I also am a part of this group of Christians, who are neglecting the assembling of ourselves together. My reason for not regularly attending church is not so much by MY own choice, but more so because of other main stream church denomination churches that refuse to here the WHOLE word of Almighty God. Let me explain a little of what I mean by this.
To make a long story short, I love to teach God's word, so in every church I have ever attended I have always been a teacher in some degree. Basically six months after I became a born again believer filled with the Holy Spirit I began teaching the kids and I have been teaching Sunday school and Bible studies ever since. I have always had a hunger for God's word and have studied the Bible on my own from the day of my new birth in Jesus Christ. And my beliefs have changed over the years to conform with what the Bible ITSELF clearly and plainly teaches us.
Now those of you, who have read some of my other studies, then you know that I do not share the same beliefs as many of the main stream churches, but as a teacher in those different denominations I always RESPECTED their doctrines to not cause division in the church. Meaning I never used my platform as a teacher in those churches that I was given the privilege to teach to push my own beliefs on my fellow brothers and sisters in the Lord.
However, when I was asked point blank while I was teaching a Bible study on the book of Revelation as to how I myself personally believed on the subject under discussion, then I said within myself that I must stand true to God's word and speak the TRUTH as to which highly controversial teaching that I myself believe that the whole word of God teaches us.
So when this happened I first stated that the “church” believes...., but was interrupted and asked again by the one asking saying and I quote, “I did not asked what the “church” believes, I asked what do YOU believe?”. So I shared my own personal belief concerning the rapture of the church as to WHEN the rapture of the church would occur, as in, will their be a PRE tribulation rapture?, a MID tribulation rapture?, or a POST tribulation rapture, I firmly gave my OWN OPINION that the rapture of the church will be a POST tribulation rapture!
Then this led to a rather involved discussion, which then led to more questions concerning what I myself believed about the doctrine of the trinity. Again I could not deny the TRUTH that was given to me by the Holy Spirit. Now any of you who have experienced speaking out the TRUTH of God's word that does not agree with what your particular church denomination teaches knows what happens. You are asked to keep quite or there is the door, do not let the door hit you on the way out so to speak. Now I myself was not asked to LEAVE the church, but I was asked to step down from teaching unless a signed a document stating that I believe and will teach ALL the doctrines of the “church” meaning that this particular non denominational church believe that ALL they taught as ESSENTIAL doctrines were indeed Biblical teachings that must be believed in order to be saved. And the doctrine of the trinity was listed in this document as an ESSENTIAL teaching that MUST WITHOUT FAIL be believed and taught as a MATTER of SALVATION.
Well as a matter of conscience between me and my maker I could NOT sign such a document, so basically I was forced to step down from teaching in that particular church. Now I did stay in fellowship for awhile, but it was not the same. I felt being judged even though no one actually said to my face that I needed to repent and believe in the doctrine of the trinity. But mostly I no longer had the joy I received from teaching and it was this lack of joy from NOT being able to TEACH that led me to stop attending that church.
I sought to find another church, but as many of you know most all churches, denominational and non denominational alike are all pretty much same, when it comes to THEIR dogmatic denominational doctrines where they have absolutely no room for anyone, who believes differently from what they dogmatically teach and who are bold enough to stand up for the TRUTH of the whole word of God to teach the truth, when they are asked point blank as to what they themselves personally believe.
And I can understand that the leaders of these different church denominations do not want their flock to be deceived by false teaching. But KEEPING their flock in the DARK as to why other Christians believe what they believe is NOT the answer to keep the flock given to them by God to be under their care from being deceived by false teaching.
The answer is to TEACH the flock under your care the WHOLE word of God. This means giving them ALL the evidence from all sides of any given controversial subject or doctrine and the TRUTH will always prevail.
So then, I myself having this kind of heart that does not want to see my fellow brothers and sisters being deceived by false teaching I turned my focus to writing more studies in God's word to share with my readers on the Internet. It is such a blessing to teach the TRUTH of the whole word of God having only to answer to God as to what I teach and do not teach. God is answering my prayers bringing many pastors to AMatterOfTruth.com asking if they can print out the studies God gave to me to use to teach their flock. Absolutely please feel free to use any of the studies I have written to teach the the TRUTH of the whole word of God. My only stipulation is that you do NOT SELL any of my teachings. I am a firm believer that freely we have received the truth, so freely we must give the truth. Well enough on this side journey. Let us get back to the study at hand.
Now those who teach that Christians must keep the Sabbath day use as one of their main arguments of having so called “concrete evidence” from God's word is that God does NOT CHANGE and they quote Malachi 3:6 as their proof text.
“For I am the LORD, I CHANGE NOT; therefore you sons of Jacob are not consumed.”
First of all they use this verse taken OUT of context, but I am not even going to address that ERROR of interpretation in this particular study of God's word.
Then they conclude that since God does NOT CHANGE that this means that the keeping of the Sabbath day has NOT CHANGED either, because God cannot CHANGE his mind from given his COMMANDMENT to later ABOLISH his COMMANDMENT.
Now here is the ERROR in that line of reasoning.
It is NOT God CHANGING his mind so to speak, for you see dear child of God, when God PROPHESIES what he is going to do from the very beginning before it comes to pass and he prophesied MORE than just ONE thing, then ALL of what God prophesies must come to pass. You see, when God gave commandment in the garden of Eden for Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree of knowledge with the penalty of death IF they disobeyed his commandment, Almighty God did NOT CHANGE his mind and then AFTER mankind sinned say to himself, “I must come up with a plan of salvation to save mankind”.
NO! A thousand times no! God knows the end FROM the beginning, because God PROPHESIED the end FROM the beginning. And it was the PLAN of God that his sacrificial lamb, which he himself would provide or the he word GIVE to be slain was slain in God's mind and plan from BEFORE the foundation of the world. This is PROPHESIED in his word and therefore MUST come to pass even though it may APPEAR to some Christians that God has CHANGE the way that he himself chose to save mankind.
Therefore God does NOT CHANGE, but what APPEARS to be changes, in truth, was PROPHESIED to be all along.
Please read Isaiah 43:18,19.
“Remember you NOT the FORMER THINGS, neither CONSIDER the THINGS of OLD. (Meaning forget about what God commanded under the OLD Covenant! WHY? Why does Almighty God HIMSELF teach us in his word to NOT REMEMBER the FORMER THINGS under the OLD Covenant? Keep reading and you will see the answer for yourself PROPHESIED in God's word which MUST be FULFILLED)
19. Behold, I will do a NEW THING; now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.”
Now the NEW THING that God has PROPHESIED all along is that he will blot out the sins of mankind beginning with the house of Israel or to the Jews first and then God would turn to the Gentiles to provoke the Jews to jealousy for rejecting his so great a salvation. But God also prophesied that he would turn AGAIN a SECOND time to his people the Jews in the last days. So those to teach “replacement theology” or that the church has replaced Israel are NOT teaching sound Biblical doctrine. Anyway here is the NEW THING that God has prophesied in his word all along so God himself is NOT CHANGING what he PROPHESIED he would do.
“I, even I, am he that blots out your transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember your sins.”
Now let us go back to the previous chapter of Isaiah and read a broader CONTEXT to see HOW God is going to do this NEW THING of redeeming mankind to himself.
Please read Isaiah 42:1-10.
“Behold my servant (a prophecy of God's yet coming Son, Jesus), whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delights; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
2. He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.
3. A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
4. He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law.
5. Thus says God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which comes out of it; he that gives breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:
6. I the LORD have called you (speaking to his Son Jesus in prophecy teaching Jesus that the scriptures speak of him as Jesus read these words to KNOW and understand that his God has and Father is calling him, saying, I the LORD have called YOU) in righteousness, and will hold your hand, and will keep you, and give YOU for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles; (God's SON Jesus was given by Almighty God himself as a NEW COVENANT, which includes both Jews and Gentiles. So God did NOT CHANGE, but rather prophesied his NEW COVENANT all along. The law was ADDED UNTIL the promise of the seed came. WHAT law? The moral law? NO! For how could the MORAL law be added BECAUSE of transgressions? What would the children of Israel be transgressing if so be that there was NO moral law before the law was ADDED? The law that was added were all the CEREMONIAL laws, which were the SCHOOLMASTER to teach the children of Israel about their coming Messiah.)
7. To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.
8. I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. (Before the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus Almighty God shared his glory with NO ONE. The NEW THINGS that God has PROPHESIED in his word to do is to SHARE his glory with no other one than his yet coming Son Jesus.)
9. Behold, the FORMER THINGS are come to PASS, and NEW THINGS do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them.”
So then, it is not that God CHANGES anything, but rather that God has PROPHESIED all along the CHANGES in the WAY that he himself chose to redeem mankind to himself BEFORE the foundation of the world. Let us read one more passage of scripture that clearly teaches us that BOTH the FORMER things and the NEW THINGS were PROPHESIED from the BEGINNING before they came to pass, and then we will move on to the NEW Testament which REVEALS to us what the OLD Testament was all about and WHY the OLD Covenant was given and WHY a NEW Covenant was established.
Please read Isaiah 48:2-7.
“I have declared the FORMER things FROM the beginning; and they went forth out of my mouth, and I showed them; I did them suddenly, and they came to pass.
4. Because I knew that you are obstinate, and your neck is an iron sinew, and your brow brass;
5. I have EVEN FROM from the beginning declared it to you; BEFORE it came to pass I showed it you: lest you should say, Mine idol has done them, and my graven image, and my molten image, has commanded them.
6. You have heard, see all this; and will not you declare it? I have showed you NEW THINGS from this time, even HIDDEN things, and you did not know them.
7. They are created now, and NOT from the beginning; even BEFORE the DAY day when you HEARD them NOT; lest you should say, Behold, I knew them.”
Here in verse 7, which to some may sound confusing if you do not understand that God calls or speaks things into existence in such a manner as if it APPEARS that they already ARE in existence and this is why it SEEMS at times when we read the Old Testament that God already had a SON living WITH him up in heaven at his side from all eternity past whom he then sent down from out of heaven to the earth to become a man. But please notice the wording here says NOT from the beginning BEFORE the DAY, which teaches us that God's SON has not yet been brought into existence to be created NOW, as in, God's Son being begotten in the beginning BEFORE these PROPHESIES of God were ever HEARD by any of mankind. Please read the study “WHAT DOES GOD INCARATE MEAN?” for a deeper understand on this subject of the word being made flesh.
So then, from the very BEGINNING God PROPHESIED both the FORMER things that would come to pass and END or be fulfilled and then NEW THINGS that would take the place of the FORMER things to be the WAY that God has PROPHESIED all along.
And one of those CHANGES is that Almighty God HIMSELF prophesied in his word to make a NEW COVENANT with the house of Israel and the house of Judah.
Please read Jeremiah 31:31-34.
“Behold, the days come, says the LORD, that I will make a NEW COVENANT with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32. NOT according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, says the LORD:
33. But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, says the LORD, I will put my law in their INWARD parts, and write it in their HEARTS; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, says the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”
The phrase “AFTER those days” is speaking of yet a future time when the house of Israel will recognize Jesus AT his second coming and call upon his name to be saved alive in their MORTAL bodies to go into the 1000 year reign of Jesus in their MORTAL bodies.
The gospel was FIRST preached to the JEWS and ONLY those Jews, who BELIEVED the gospel became NEW CREATURES in Jesus Christ to have the law of God written upon the HEART and the INWARD parts where God gave and still yet gives Jews a WITNESS that they are truly saved and placed back into a RIGHT relationship with God having all their past sins forgiven them never to be remembered again by God.
Now let us read from the NEW Testament, which is the REVELATION of the Old Testament where the Holy Spirit EXPLAINS the FULFILLMENT of the Old Testament prophesies in the New Testament.
Please read Hebrews
“But now has he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a BETTER covenant, which was established upon BETTER promises.
7. FOR (or because) IF that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. (this does not mean that God made a faulty covenant, but rather means that God never intended the FIRST covenant to save anyone. The Bible teaches us in Ephesian that God chose BEFORE the foundation of the world for his salvation to be IN his SON Jesus and NOT in the keeping of the law of Moses. So again God did NOT CHANGE his mind, but rather prophesied all along to establish a NEW Covenant in the shed blood of his SON Jesus. And those is the Old Testament SOUGHT to see this day of salvation of the Messiah.)
8. For finding fault with them, he says, Behold, the days come, says the Lord, when I will make a NEW covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9. NOT ACCORDING to the covenant (or NOT ACCORDING to the OLD covenant) that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, says the Lord.
10. For THIS is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord; I will put my laws into their MIND, and write them in their HEARTS: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
11. And they shall not teach every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. (Now this part of the prophesy for ISRAEL has not yet been fulfilled and will be fulfilled in the 1000 year reign of Jesus. But it is being being fulfilled now in the church age for both Jews and Gentiles, who BELIEVE on the SON OF God, who died for their sins and that God raised his Son Jesus from the dead never more to die again. Every true born again Christian does NOT have to be taught by MAN as to what is right and what is wrong, because God himself through his very own self same Spirit, who DWELLS IN us as believers, teaches us leading and guiding us into all truth. The Holy Spirit himself convicts us the moment we do anything that does not please him. Even before we do wrong the Holy Spirit in us is saying, do not do that. But when we fall into sin by not obeying the voice of the Holy Spirit mercy is given to us and the Holy Spirit convicts us of sin prompting us to ask forgiveness and repent of our sin.)
12. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. (speaking of all our PAST sins and all the sins that we commit after we are forgiven of all our past sins, which we ask to be forgiven and we repent of those future sins.)
13. IN THAT he says, A NEW covenant, HE (Almighty God HIMSELF) has made the FIRST OLD. Now that which decays and waxes old is ready to vanish away.”
The last part of this verse 13 means that not ALL has been completely FULFILLED as yet with the FIRST coming of Jesus. But much of the OLD covenant has indeed been FULFILLED in Jesus Christ at his FIRST coming IN THAT all of the animal sacrifices and offerings have been FULFILLED in Jesus Christ now becoming our PASSOVER lamb. Also this means that the animal sacrifices were not completely done away with until 70 AD, when the Roman army destroyed the temple in Jerusalem.
Now one of the NEW things that Jesus has FULFILLED and is yet presently fulfilling is the SHADOW of the seventh day of REST, the Sabbath day, the fourth COMMANDMENT of God. For an in depth study on the Sabbath day being fulfilled in Jesus Christ becoming our REST or our Sabbath please read the studies “IS JESUS OUR SABBATH REST?”, “SUNDAY WORSHIP VERSUS SABBATH KEEPING?” , “THE SABBATH REST IS A SIGN!” , and “ONLY NINE OF THE TEN COMMANDMENTS?” where I give all the verses showing why Christians are no longer commanded to keep the Sabbath day REST as a PHYSICAL DAY of REST as the Jews, but are indeed clearly and plainly taught to keep the other NINE commandments of God as a matter of SALVATION in order to be granted the right to receive eternal life in the world to come. But for now please read Hebrews chapter 3 and chapter 4 to get a clear understanding that we as Christians have entered and are entering into our Sabbath rest being IN Jesus Christ.
Hebrews 3:1-19 where the writer of Hebrews is speaking to true born again Jewish Christians who are turning away from God's so great a salvation to be justified UNDER the LAW and not by FAITH in the NEW covenant established in the shed blood of Jesus Christ, the SON OF the living God.
“Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
2. Who was faithful to him that appointed him (Jesus was faithful to do all that his God and Father appointed or commissioned him to do), as also Moses was faithful in all his house.
3. For this MAN was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who has built the house has more honor than the house.
4. For every house is built by some man; but he that built all things is God.
5. And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a TESTIMONY of those THINGS which were to be spoken AFTER; (It has been said by some Jewish scholars that the every JOT and TITTLE of Torah itself TESTIFIES of the coming of the Messiah being HIDDEN in the text a little hear and a little there. And in truth this is what Jesus means in Matthew that not one jot or tittle of the law and the prophets will pass away till all be fulfilled. “For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till ALL be fulfilled.” Jesus is simple saying that there is MORE yet to be fulfilled and NOT that he did not fulfill anything of the law and the prophets at his FIRST coming. For a deeper in depth sound Biblical teaching on this passage of scripture in Matthew 5:17-19 please read the study “HAS GOD'S LAW BEEN ABOLISHED?” But for no please know that Moses TESTIFIED or PROPHESIED of the coming of CHRIST and that the LAW was never meant or intended by God himself to SAVE mankind form their sins.)
6. But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, IF we HOLD FAST the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope FIRM unto the END. (this teaches us along with the whole word of God that a Christians FALLS from grace when they go BACK UNDER the LAW of Moses to KEEP all the LAW of Moses.)
7. Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost says, TODAY if you will hear his voice,
8. Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
9. When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
10. Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do always err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
11. So I swore in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
12. Take heed, brethren, lest there be in ANY of YOU an EVIL heart of UNBELIEF, in DEPARTING from the living God. (The children of Israel were told by God to go and possess the land that he had given them. But because of their UNBELIEF they sent out spies into the land of Canaan to SEE if they themselves were ABLE to take the land. Ten spies came back saying NO we cannot take the land but two of the spies who BELIEVED God's word said YES we can take the land. The writer of Hebrews is using this analogy of the fathers of the Jews NOT having FAITH in God where God did NOT allow to enter into his REST because of their UNBELIEF comparing it to the Jews of his day who were NOT believing the gospel of Jesus Christ to enter into his REST by NO LONGER KEEPING ALL the LAW of Moses. And REMAIN steadfast in their FAITH in Jesus to NOT be subverted to go BACK UNDER the LAW of Moses)
13. But exhort one another daily, while it is called TODAY; lest ANY of YOU be hardened through the deceitfulness of SIN. (Speaking of the SIN of going BACK UNDER the LAW of Moses to be saved, as in, to be in a RIGHT or correct relationship that is pleasing to God in HIS eyes as to what HE himself desires.)
14. For (or because) we are made partakers of Christ, IF we HOLD the beginning of our confidence steadfast unto the END;
15. While it is said, TODAY if you will hear HIS voice, harden NOT your hearts, as in the provocation. (TODAY under the NEW covenant the VOICE of Almighty God Yahweh IS the VOICE of his SON Jesus saying HEAR YOU HIM.)
16. For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses. (Meaning that ONLY some BELIEVED and therefore did indeed enter into the promise land was a SHADOW of entering into eternal life in the world to come, which is the full complete REST of the SEVENTH 100 year long Sabbath DAY of the Lord, because they BELIEVED and OBEYED God's word to ACCEPT what God had FREELY GIVEN them, which was to POSSESS the land. There is a whole sermon or teaching in this verse of being an OVERCOMER in Jesus Christ by NOT allowing sin to have DOMINION over us to keep on sinning, but rather that WE possess to PROMISES of God given to us to live our lives free from sin and fear of the enemy.)
17. But with whom was he grieved forty years? Was it not with them that had SINNED, whose carcases fell in the wilderness? (The SIN being spoken of here is the SIN of UNBELIEF for unbelief is the one sin that will indeed keep those who are in UNBELIEF from entering into God's full complete REST in the world to come just as it kept God's people under the OLD Covenant form entering into his REST that he was giving them in THEIR day of entering into the PROMISE land that God had FREELY GIVEN to them to POSSESS and have DOMINION over. Please read Revelation 21:7,8 “He that overcomes shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. 8. But the FEARFUL, and UNBELIEVING, and the abominable, and murderers, and whore mongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.” You see dear child of God those Israelites who were FEARFUL and in UNBELIEF that they could NOT possess the land that God freely gave them to possess and have dominion were NOT allowed to ENTER that land of milk and honey because of their FEAR and UNBELIEF.)
18. And to whom sware he that they should NOT enter into his REST, but to THEM that believed NOT?
19. So we see that they could NOT enter in because of UNBELIEF.”
Now let us continue with the rest of the context found in the 4th chapter of Hebrews where we are clearly shown that God's SABBATH of REST is IN his SON Jesus and that we who BELIEVE do ENTER as in, we have and ENTRANCE into the REST or the SABBATH of God being IN Jesus Christ who has become our SABBATH in the same manner that Jesus has become our PASSOVER lamb. Jesus is the DOOR of the sheep. We as Christians no longer keep to feast of the PASSOVER because Jesus has become our Passover. And we as Christians no longer keep the Sabbath day as a PHYSICAL DAY of rest, because Jesus has become our Sabbath or our SPIRITUAL REST to our SOULS. Jesus has become our SPIRITUAL circumcision made WITHOUT physical hands. We ARE keeping the TRUE Sabbath rest by RESTING in Jesus as our deliverer from the bondage of sin. The PHYSICAL keeping of a physical DAY of rest was a SHADOW point to Jesus our TRUE SPIRITUAL REST.
Here is Hebrews 4:1-16 where the writer implores us as Christians to NOT follow the example of UNBELIEF that does NOT allow us to enter into the REST of God.
“Let us therefore fear, lest, a PROMISE being left us of entering into his REST, ANY of YOU should seem to come short of it.
2. For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did NOT profit them, NOT being mixed with FAITH in them that heard it. (Those in fear and unbelief did not go and CONQUER the land that God had freely given to them. Like wise there are Christians today in UNBELIEF saying that they CANNOT live without sin. They do NOT BELIEVE the PROMISES of God teaching them that they are set FREE from the dominion of sin. They do not believe the word of God teaching them that sin shall NOT have DOMINION over them. They do do believe that the POWER which they received from one high dwelling in them is strong enough to over come sin in their lives. But thank God there are many Christians today, who are coming out of the bondage of the LAW to hold fast to the law of FAITH, which SPEAKS God's promises as those they though they ARE. Promises like God will NOT allow us to be tempted ABOVE that which WE through his word and his Holy Spirit are not ABLE to bear or over come. Please read the study “HOW YOU CAN LIVE YOUR LIFE FREE FROM SIN!” for a sound Biblical teaching showing you HOW to overcome sin in your life once and for all!)
3. For WE which have believed (or more precisely we who are BELIEVING, as in, CONTINUALLY believing unto the end) DO ENTER into REST (a FULFILLMENT of the Sabbath day), as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. (meaning that God prophesied in the beginning a day of REST. So again, it is NOT that God ABOLISHED the Sabbath day of rest, but rather the keeping of the Sabbath day was a SHADOW of the TRUE which was prophesied to come speaking of Jesus. The Scripture speak of JESUS. This same is true of being CIRCUMCISED as a sign of belonging to God. It is NOT that God ABOLISHED the law of circumcision, but rather the circumcision of the cutting away of the flesh was a SHADOW of the TRUE circumcision of the heart where sin has been cut away or removed by the NEW covenant in the shed blood of Jesus. In other words, Jesus is the TRUE circumcision and now the ONLY WAY to be circumcised in the eyes of Almighty God is by FAITH in his SON Jesus. The law of circumcision has not been ABOLISHED, but rather has been FULFILLED in Jesus who has become our circumcision. The Sabbath has not been ABOLISHED, but rather Jesus has become our Sabbath of REST. The Passover has not been ABOLISHED, but rather Jesus has become our Passover. We celebrate JESUS now. The feast days and the Sabbath days were SHADOWS of the TRUE pointing to when the TRUE would come. The Scriptures speak of JESUS as the way to eternal life. You can REST in this TRUTH taught to us throughout the WHOLE word of God. )
4. For he spoke in a certain place of the SEVENTH DAY (or the day of the Lord, the SEVENTH 1000 year long day of Yahweh's REST) on this wise, And God did REST the SEVENTH DAY from all his works. (Actually the word of truth in the LITERAL teaches us that God SHALL rest IN the seventh day and NOT that God has already rested on the seventh day. God is still yet FINISHING his creation and he WILL yet in the future finish his creation IN the SEVENTH day.)
5. And in this place again, If they shall enter into my REST.
6. Seeing therefore it remains that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of UNBELIEF:
7. Again, he limits a certain day, saying in David, TODAY, after so long a time (speaking of TODAY as being the day of Jesus the Messiah or the church age); as it is said, TODAY if you will hear HIS voice (the voice of God's Son Jesus), harden not your hearts.
8. For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. (This is speaking of Jesus descending down into the belly of the earth to preach to the spirits in prison or in the holding place of the dead saints of the Old Testament, which rose with Jesus and are now under that altar in heaven awaiting to be clothed with their new immortal bodies of flesh and bones like Jesus has now so they can enter into their full complete REST or SABBATH day of the Lord, the 1000 year reign of Jesus.)
9. There remains therefore a rest to the people of God. (meaning that our full complete REST will not come until the second coming of Jesus and ONLY those of us who are found to be that good and faithful servants of righteousness OBEYING the commandments of God will be given the right to ENTER into our full complete REST of putting on the divine nature of IMMORTALITY at the SECOND COMING of Jesus. But ALSO meaning that WE as Christians are given the ENTRANCE into God's SABBATH day of REST the very moment we BELIEVE on the SON OF the living God who died for our sins.)
10. For he that IS ENTERED into his REST, he also has ceased from his OWN works, as God did from his.
11. Let us LABOR (Literally read let us be diligent to endeavor to CEASE from THAT or to CEASE from our OWN works of righteousness of keeping all the law of Moses under the Old Covenant which none of our fathers nor we could keep, but let us WORK the works of God by FAITH believing his PROMISES left to us in his word) therefore to enter into that REST (the rest in verse 10 to CEASE from our OWN works of righteousness), lest any man fall after the same example of UNBELIEF (you see dear child of God some Christians are living in UNBELIEF by NOT believing that THEY CAN and WILL live free from SIN. Again please read the study “HOW YOU CAN LIVE YOUR LIFE FREE FROM SIN!”).
12. For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (God's word is more than able to separate your true desire of your heart from the desire of your flesh to free you from condemnation to truly REST in the KNOWING that God has FORGIVEN you of all your sins.)
13. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
14. Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us HOLD FAST our profession. (Now keep in mind that Hebrews is written to the Hebrew Christians warning them NOT to turn back to the LAW of Moses to be justified. Paul says in Romans chapter 3 that NO man is Justified by the LAW, which is why no only Hebrew Christians, but also Gentile Christians MUST HOLD FAST to our profession of FAITH is Jesus to be SAVED. But this verse also means are YOU dear child of God holding fast to your PROFESSIONS of FAITH in the PROMISES of God like with his stripes you ARE healed and RESIT the devil and he WILL flee from YOU, and greater is he that is IN me than he that is in the world.)
15. FOR (or BECAUSE) we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. (now if you do not understand that Jesus was a MAN, who was ANOINTED with power from on high to EMPOWER him to overcome sin THROUGH the eternal Spirit of his God and Father DWELLING IN him and that WE as Christians NOW have this SAME ANOINTING DWELLING IN US to EMPOWER US to live without sin, then you will not understand the true meaning of this next verse.)
16. Let us THEREFORE (or let us for this very reason of Jesus being tempted in ALL points the same way that WE are tempted yet he did not give into any temptation and sin let us) come boldly unto the throne of grace, THAT (or so that) we may obtain mercy, and find GRACE to HELP (or find that FAITH in the empowerment from on high dwelling IN us to be able to STAND in the power of HIS might which works mightily in us) in time of need.”
If you think for one second that YOU can overcome sin in your live through your OWN power, then you have not understood a word that I have been teaching you.
The keeping of the MORAL commandments is NOT done through our OWN works done in our OWN strength. Yes your own will power plays a role in over coming sin, because we are CO laborers WITH God, but be to know and to be understood by all, that it is ONLY God himself, who gives us the INCREASE or the victory over sin. Now this victory over sin does not fall on us like ripe cherries fall from the tree so to speak. Faith is a FIGHT that is why the Bible teaches us to fight the good FIGHT of FAITH.
This brings us to the question of,
HOW do we KNOW what commandments to keep?
How do we KNOW for SURE that we are only to keep NINE of the ten commandments and that the FOURTH commandment of keeping the Sabbath day has been FULFILLED in Jesus Christ becoming our TRUE SPIRITUAL REST?
This is a very valid question and it has become a stumbling block to some Christians who are subverted by other Christians to keep the TORAH, ALL of the TORAH arguing that Jesus himself said that not ONE jot or tittle of the law would pass away until ALL be fulfilled. Please read the study “SABBATH KEEPERS ARE RIGHT!” for a deeper understanding of some of these stumbling blocks hindering BOTH sides from seeing the truth or the whole word of God.
Let us first go and take a brief look at Matthew 5:17-19 to learn what this verse is TRULY teaching us in the LIGHT of the WHOLE word of God.
“Think NOT that I am come to DESTROY the LAW, or the prophets: I am NOT come to DESTROY, but to FULFILL.
19. Whosoever therefore shall break ONE of these LEAST commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the LEAST in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called GREAT in the kingdom of heaven.”
Now Sabbath keeping churches like the Seventh Day Adventist, the 119 Ministries, Th World Wide Church of God, the Church of God, and many other Hebrew Roots Movement churches FALSELY INTERPRET this passage of scripture to mean that Jesus came to do either ONE thing or the OTHER, so therefore you can not have it BOTH ways. Meaning that they interpret this passage of scripture to mean EITHER Jesus came to ABOLISH the LAW or he did NOT come to ABOLISH the LAW so you cannot say that Jesus came to abolish only PART of the law.
But the TRUTH of the matter is that Jesus did in fact come to destroy or ABOLISH part of the law by FULFILLING the law and the prophets. Jesus came to fulfill all the CEREMONIAL laws that were ADDED because of transgressions of the MORAL law written on the MINDS or CONSCIOUS of every human being since the fall of Adam eating for the tree of the KNOWLEDGE of good and evil.
You see, the word translated as ''DESTROY'' here comes from the Greek word "KATALYO'', which means throw down, to abolish, to destroy. HOWEVER this Greek word “KATALYO'” ALSO means to destroy UTTERLY, and to COMPLETELY overthrow. In other words, this Greek word that is translated as “DESTROY” in the king James Version and as “ABOLISH” is better understood in reading the New Living Translation which say that Jesus came to accomplish the PURPOSE of the Law and the prophets, which AGREES with the word of Jesus saying that the Scripture speak of HIM. When we understand ALL the meanings of the Greek word “KATALYO”, then we know and understand that this Greek word carries with it the meaning that Jesus did not come to COMPLETELY ABOLISH the law, but rather Jesus came to accomplish the PURPOSE of why the law was given in the first place. All of the ceremonial laws were SHADOWS point to Jesus.
Matthew 5:17 from the New Living Translation.
“Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their PURPOSE.”
The law of Moses was ADDED UNTIL the seed came. Jesus IS that promised seed, which was prophesied to come. The MORAL law has always been since Adam when KNOWLEDGE of good and evil came to mankind. So it was the CEREMONIAL law that was ADDED to teach the children of Israel to recognize their Messiah when he came. The fourth commandment was given as a SIGN to the children of Israel for them to REMEMBER their DELIVERANCE from bondage of slavery.
So then, in truth Matthew 5:17,18 should have been translated as,
“Think not that I am come to UTTERLY DESTROY or to COMPLETELY ABOLISH the law, OR the prophets: I am not come to UTTERLY or COMPLETELY DESTROY, but to fulfill the law or to ACCOMPLISH their PURPOSE.
18. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.”
Now some of you may argue that I am changing God's word to make it say what I want it to say, but in TRUTH I am just pointing out to you, the reader, the seeker of the TRUTH, that in the original language these Greek words have many different meanings and the English translation that we read is just that, a TRANSLATION. In other words, this verse could have just as easily been translated as UTTERLY destroy or COMPLETELY abolish, which would then AGREE with the REST of God's word without trying to manipulate, twist or change many other CLEAR, PLAIN and SIMPLE passages of scripture that in truth needs NO interpretation in order to TRY and make them to agree with your OWN personal private translation of Matthew 5:17,18. Let me explain what I mean by this.
Please keep in mind that Galatians 3:19 teaches us that the LAW was ADDED because of transgression UNTIL the PROMISE of the MESSIAH be FULFILLED, which teaches us that some CHANGES in the LAW were indeed without fail made AT the FIRST coming of Jesus at his DEATH and resurrection. In other words, Jesus did indeed ABOLISH SOME of the LAW of GOD written in the OLD TESTAMENT. One part of the LAW of GOD that was INDEED ABOLISHED and FULFILLED at the SAME time was the OFFERING of SACRIFICES for sins, which no true born again believer denies. So then, Jesus did in fact come to do BOTH abolish and fulfill. But NOT to COMPLETELY abolish every jot and tittle of the law.
You see dear child of God, the shedding of blood for the forgiveness of sins was NOT abolished, but the MANNER of shedding of blood was FULFILLED in Jesus, so that there is NO LONGER the need to offer a PHYSICAL lamb every year to have our sins forgiven. Jesus has become OUR Passover LAMB.
God did NOT abolish circumcision, but rather Jesus FULFILLED the law of circumcision by becoming our true SPIRITUAL circumcision NOT made with PHYSICAL hands.
And in the same way God did NOT abolish the Sabbath REST, but rather Jesus FULFILLED the PHYSICAL resting on a PHYSICAL day to become our true SPIRITUAL REST to our SOULS.
Also remember that the Sabbath day churches teach that Christians must keep ALL the LAW. Not just the Sabbath day but ALL the LAW of Moses and that not ONE jot or tittle of ANY of the LAW shall pass away until ALL is fulfilled. So why then do they back pedal so to speak and make excuses concerning the LAW of God in the area of offering sacrifices for sins. I mean if so be that ALL truly means ALL, then there should be no excuses for not KEEPING ALL the law INCLUDING the keeping of the LAW to offer animal sacrifices for sin.
In other words, if the Sabbath keepers were CONSISTENT in their INTERPRETING of the scriptures then they should also teach that Christians to KEEP the LAW of offering animal sacrifices in order to be forgiven of their sins. And they should stone to death their followers who break the Sabbath day as the Jews.
The TRUTH of the matter is that the law of God pertaining to animal sacrifices has INDEED been both ABOLISHED and FULFILLED by Jesus at the cross where Jesus has accomplished the PURPOSE of the law of having God's people in a RIGHT relationship with God. The meaning of the Greek word “SOZO” which is translated as “SAVED” also means HEALED, delivered, set free, rescued, and place back into a RIGHT relationship with God. So there is MORE to the meaning of being saved than, what some Christians know. More on this further on in this study of God's word. Also please read the study “WHAT DOES BEING SAVED TRULY MEAN?”
Also the TRUTH of the whole matter is that there were OTHER parts of the OLD covenant law of God that have been ABOLISHED and FULFILLED as well by the cross of Jesus, but some Christians were being DECEIVED to keep for FEAR of the JEWS. To be brought back under the BONDAGE of the law contained in ordinances. Please note that since we KNOW without a doubt that the animals sacrifices were indeed ABOLISHED at the cross, then the phrase TILL ALL be fulfilled does NOT mean that NONE of the law has been ABOLISHED until heaven and earth pass away. This phrase should read till IT be fulfilled meaning that SOME of the law of GOD was FULFILLED at the cross. And most certainly the law of God concerning being circumcised in the flesh was indeed FULFILLED at the cross of Jesus Christ our Lord and savior. You see dear child of God Jesus spoke these words, BEFORE the cross and the LITERAL meaning of fulfilled is till all be OCCURRING meaning that at the cross the abolishing of some of the law will be OCCURRING, which after the cross those things became FORMER things that Isaiah teaches us to NOT REMEMBER or CONSIDER.
Please read Isaiah 43:18,19.
“Remember you NOT the FORMER THINGS, neither CONSIDER the THINGS of OLD. (Meaning forget about what God commanded under the OLD Covenant! WHY? Why does Almighty God HIMSELF teach us in his word to NOT REMEMBER the FORMER THINGS under the OLD Covenant? Keep reading and you will see the answer for yourself PROPHESIED in God's word which MUST be FULFILLED)
19. Behold, I will do a NEW THING; now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.”
Let us continue on with what I was saying about Galatians.
Here is Galatians 3:19, which teaches us that the law was temporarily added for reason of transgression UNTIL the PROMISE of the coming MESSIAH be FULFILLED or be OCCURRING
“Wherefore (or for what REASON) then SERVE the LAW? It was ADDED because of transgressions, TILL the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.”
So then, some part or some aspect of the law CHANGES in some way at the death and resurrection of Jesus, otherwise Jesus died in VAIN. In other words, Jesus did not come to COMPLETELY abolish the WHOLE LAW or to UTTERLY and completely destroy ALL the law, but rather Jesus came to fulfill the prophecies written in the Old Testament that were speaking of him as being the Messiah. So then, the TRUTH of the matter is that some part of the LAW was INDEED ABOLISHED at the CROSS of Jesus, when Jesus FULFILLED what Almighty God had spoken through the prophets in the Old Testament.
Now this brings us back to the question at hand.
HOW do we KNOW what commandments to keep?
How do we KNOW for SURE that we are only to keep NINE of the ten commandments and that the FOURTH commandment of keeping the Sabbath day has been FULFILLED in Jesus Christ become our REST?
There are no less than two ways for us as Christians to be absolutely sure as to what commandments of God we MUST without fail keep in order to inherit ETERNAL LIFE in the world to come.
One way is to go to the word of God and closely examine which commandments we as CHRISTIAN are taught to keep in the NEW Testament. Please understand and know that the OLD Covenant was written SPECIFICALLY to Israel and the NEW Covenant was written to the JEWS FIRST and then God turned to the Gentiles. I have already covered this in the study “ONLY NINE OF THE TEN COMMANDMENTS?” so let us move on to the second way in which we can KNOW without a doubt as to which commandments of God we are to keep.
This second way is walking after the SPIRIT. What is the Holy Spirit leading you to do and not to do?
Now those in the Sabbath keeping churches may argue that they KNOW that it was the Holy Spirit who has led them to the truth of KEEPING the Sabbath day.
But the truth of the matter is that we can be TAUGHT by man things that are right and wrong, which are NOT truly being taught to us by the Holy Spirit. For example going to the movies or watching television are things taught by man and some Christians truly do indeed feel CONVICTED if they break these man made teachings THINKING that they are what God himself teachers.
So being convicted by things that we are TAUGHT by man does does prove one one or the other if it is of God or not of God.
However, NOT being convicted by the Holy Spirit can indeed help us to know whether something being taught to is NOT of God, because the Holy Spirit always convicts us of SIN.
Here is what I mean by this. Before I became a Christian I used to joke around, poke fun at my friends when they poked fun at me. But after I became a Christian I felt an uneasy feeling even when I was around others, who cut down their friends and family down for FUN joking around. Not being serious, but rather poking fun at each other. The Holy Spirit opened my eyes to see how some were truly being hurt deep down by the negative downgrading remarks made about them.
Now NO MAN taught me that this was wrong and that jesting was written in the New Testament in the things that we are taught NOT to do, but rather I was CONVICTED by the Holy Spirit that something was wrong never being taught by MAN that it was wrong. There was a cringe in my spirit telling me that this type of kidding around was wrong and that jesting should NOT be done by true born again Christians.
So then, this truth of NOT jesting could be taught to others by MAN and SOME may be convicted by the TEACHING itself and stop jesting as the King James Bible calls it. But others who do not have they Holy Spirit dwelling in them will just laugh at you and say that there is nothing wrong with jesting, which is to make fun of others.
Now if so be that something TAUGHT to us is indeed of God, then ALL true born again Christians will be CONVICTED by the Holy Spirit that they are sinning by not doing what they are TAUGHT by BOTH man and the Holy Spirit.
So then, HOW can we KNOW that the conviction we feel is from just the mere TEACHING of MAN or if the conviction we feel is from BOTH the teaching of man AND the teaching of the Holy Spirit bearing WITNESS in us that what we are being taught is the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God?
Before I get into that point let me just say that from the time I was born again to this present day I myself have NEVER even one single time ever been convicted by the Holy Spirit for NOT keeping the Sabbath day by resting on the SEVENTH day.
So to ME, this would be a HUGE failure on the part of the Holy Spirit to NOT convict me of sinning IF SO BE that NOT keeping the Sabbath day ON the SEVENTH day was truly a SIN as some Sabbath keeping Christians dogmatically demand.
Now I will say that fear from INTIMIDATION did indeed cause me to take a closer look at what I was being taught in the NON Sabbath keeping churches I have attended over the years. But when I got alone with God and his word a PEACE came over me assuring me that I was NOT sinning by NOT keeping the Sabbath day rest ON the SEVENTH day, the FIRST day or any other day of the week, because I AM keeping the TRUE Sabbath SPIRITUAL REST by resting in Jesus as my Lord and Savior.
You see for me when I began my own personal pursuit for the truth on this matter of keeping the Sabbath or not keeping the Sabbath the first argument to keep the Sabbath was “What IF you are wrong and you do NOT keep the Sabbath and it is a SIN breaking the fourth commandment to KEEP the Sabbath?”
Then they followed up with then argument that to THEM it makes no sense whatsoever for God to give us TEN commandments under the Old covenant, and then for God to CHANGE his mind and ABOLISH the fourth commandment leaving only NINE commandments for us to keep under the NEW covenant.
These are good and valid questions and again some Christians are subverted by these questions to become deceived to keep the Sabbath day by resting on the SEVENTH day.
But are they TRULY keeping the Sabbath day as taught by the LAW of Moses?
OR are they just merely going to a church service on a Saturday the SEVENTH day of the week as opposed to attending a church service on Sunday, the Lord's day the FIRST day of the week?
The truth of the matter is that Jesus has become our TRUE Sabbath SPIRITUAL REST in the same way that Jesus has become our TRUE SPIRITUAL circumcision and our TRUE Passover LAMB.
We KEEP these ceremonial laws of God by being IN God's SON Jesus.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as your continue to seek that truth of the whole word of God.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
Return to homepage