SABBATH KEEPERS ARE RIGHT!
I was wrong to not TRULY listen to my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ, who are Saturday, seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping Christians.
Most all of my readers and seekers of the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God know that I always teach you to search the word of God out for YOURSELF letting the Holy Spirit lead and guide you into all truth. And I also teach you, my readers, who are truly seeking the truth, that at times we must lay aside what we have been previously taught in order to be TRULY listening to what the other side is saying. So I apologize to my dear brothers and sisters in the Lord, who are seventh day Sabbath keeping Christians for not truly listing to HEAR what you were saying.
Let us begin again to see if what I am hearing from you is accurate in the way the YOU yourself understand the Bible. ALL Christians agree that the Holy Bible is the word of TRUTH and that the Holy Spirit, who dwells in us, is our teacher, and that we do NOT NEED to have ANY man teach us.
Now this does NOT mean that men of God cannot teach us SOUND BIBLICAL doctrine based upon the WHOLE word of Almighty God, but rather means that when we disagree on church doctrine that we can ALWAYS depend on the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us into all truth WHEN we are TRULY seeking to only know HIS truth.
So just because a MAN is teaching you does NOT always mean that he or she is teaching you false doctrine. And this works BOTH ways. In other words, do not fully trust and follow everything a person teaches you, because not all of what they teach may be sound Biblical teaching.
To say this another way, not all of what Sunday Christians teach is false teaching and not all of what Saturday, seventh day of the week, Sabbath keeping Christians teach is false teaching. But rather there is a little truth and a little error on BOTH sides. So lets us all learn what these errors are and throw them out so only TRUTH remains and we all speak the SAME thing, AMEN!
Please read 1 John 2:27.
“But the anointing which you have received of him abides IN you, and you NEED not that ANY man teach you: but as the same anointing teaches you of ALL things, and is TRUTH, and is NO lie, and even as it (or he the Holy Spirit dwelling in us) has taught you, you shall abide in him.”
Also most of my readers know that I implore you to always consider the WHOLE matter BEFORE you judge any matter lest you be found to be a fool and have shame.
Please read Proverbs 18:12,13.
“Before destruction the heart of man is HAUGHTY (Or before man falls flat on his face so to speak his heart is full of pride, arrogance, and is boastful, saying I am right and you are wrong and it is NOT willing to TRULY listen to the OTHER side of the controversy), and before honor is HUMILITY (TRULY listening to do do your best to understand WHY other Christians believe what they believe AND to TRUTHFULLY examine our own beliefs in the LIGHT of the WHOLE word of God).
13. He that answers a matter BEFORE he HEARS it, it is folly and shame unto him.”
And this was me, when a dear brother in the Lord wrote to me asking a question, which I answered. But then he wrote back accusing me of being a false teacher and then he proceeded to try and straighten me out, so to speak. I wrote back and said that I have heard all this before and that I have already searched these matters in depth looking up all the verses he gave to me to read. I did read them in their context thinking to myself that I really do not have time right now to reexplain what I have already written in depth in the studies I have written on this subject. So after I sent the reply email I felt bad for thinking those things and I waited for his reply.
He wrote back again with even more scripture so this time I answered each point he made knowing that I have covered all those same points in the studies I have written on this subject. Then my eyes were opened to see the stumbling block that was hindering this brothers view from seeing the truth of the whole word of God. He was getting angry or frustrated at me as to why I could not see what HE was saying and I was getting angry and frustrated at him for not believing the simplicity of God's word.
So this study is an apology for MY not truly listening to some my readers, who write to my trying to straighten me out on what I teach calling me a false teacher.
Now Jesus said to the unbelieving Jews that all he was trying to do was to teach his brothers and sisters or fellow Jews the TRUTH and they wanted to KILL him just for teaching them the TRUTH.
So Jesus needed to find some COMMON ground upon which the Jews would AGREE was the TRUTH.
Before we get started by establishing what we AGREE upon let me make it perfectly clear to all my readers that I am NOT yelling when I emphasize words in the Bibles studies I write. We all emphasized words when we speak words our of our mouth. We use hand gestures. We use facial expressions. We use body language. We use all these things WITHOUT yelling. I emphasize words, when I study the Bible and this has become my style of writing, because I want YOU to see what God has shown me reading and studying his word of truth.
Now before we actually begin this study in God's word let us find that COMMON ground upon which we ALL can agree 100% without any disagreement.
So to do this I am going to ask several very simple questions that require only a yes or no answer and I am pretty sure that all the answers will be a YES by 100% of my Saturday seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping brothers and sisters in the Lord!
Let us begin by AGREEING on what we ALL know to be the TRUTH.
Do you believe that the Holy Bible is the word of TRUTH?
Please read 2 Peter 1:21 and 2 Timothy 3:16.
Do you believe and understand that the Bible is divided into TWO parts having an Old Testament AND New Testament?
Please open any Bible and see for yourself.
Do you believe and understand that God made TWO covenants with the children of Israel and that God himself NEVER breaks ANY of his COVENANTS?
Please read Exodus 31:16 and Jeremiah 31:31.
Do you believe and understand that the WORDS of the FIRST covenant that God made with the children of Israel were the TEN commandments?
Please read Exodus 34:28 and Deuteronomy 4:13.
Do you believe that and understand that the TEN commandments were placed INSIDE the ark of the COVENANT and the handwriting of the ORDINANCES were placed on the OUTSIDE of the ark in the SIDE of the ark and NOT INSIDE the ark WITH the TEN commandments?
Please read Deuteronomy 10:5 and Deuteronomy 31:26.
So then, do we ALL AGREE that YES is the only true SOUND Biblical answer to these first five questions?
Good! I am pleased to see that we all AGREE on these first five sound Biblical truths.
Now let us CONSIDER the WHOLE matter!
Please read Ecclesiastes 12:13.
“Let us hear the CONCLUSION of the WHOLE matter: Fear God, and KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS: for this is the WHOLE DUTY of man.”
Now is God a MAN that he should LIE?
Please read Numbers 23:19 and Hebrews 6:18.
Seeing that we ALL agree thus far on all six of the above points, but yet there is STILL a BIG disagreement or huge controversy between Saturday seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping Christians and Sunday keeping Christians, or more precisely all other Christians, who do NOT keep the SEVENTH DAY WEEKLY Sabbath day to REST from all physical work and labor on the SEVENTH day, then HOW do we all come into UNITY of faith where we all speak the SAME thing?
After all is not this Almighty God's WILL for us to dwell to together in UNITY so that we all believe and teach the SAME sound Biblical truths? None of us want to disobey God's WILL for us so by NOT believing HIS truth, then we are not truly submitting to HIS WILL for us.
Please read Ephesians 4:1-16.
“I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that you walk worthy of the vocation wherewith you are called,
2. With all lowliness and meekness, with long suffering, forbearing one another in love;
3. Endeavoring to KEEP the UNITY of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (ALL of God's word is his ONE COMMANDMENT for us to KEEP and it is our DUTY to keep this ONE commandment of ALMIGHTY God our creator, his WHOLE word. God's WILL is HIS ONE commandment for us to KEEP as our DUTY or our OBLIGATION, if so be, that we want to receive eternal life in the world to come. However, their is a difference of OPINION among Christians as to WHAT the WILL of God is. Stay with me and it will be shown to you from God's word exactly what God's WILL is for us.)
4. There is ONE body (or ONE church and many members of the ONE body of Jesus Christ. So again one of the things that is God's WILL or one of his COMMANDMENTS is for us to be ONE in agreement to dwell together in UNITY and that we all believe and teach the SAME things.), and ONE Spirit, even as you are called in one hope of your calling;
5. One Lord, ONE FAITH, one baptism,(we all serve the same one true God so their should be only ONE FAITH that is common to us all where there are NO divisions among us. So let us LEARN from God's Holy Spirit and God's word of TRUTH what this ONE FAITH is on this particular teaching on keeping the Sabbath day.)
6. One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and IN you all.
7. But unto EVERY ONE of US one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
8. Wherefore he says, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
9. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
10. He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
11. And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; (WHY? Why did Jesus give MEN and WOMEN to his church where some are pastors, some are teachers and others are prophets and some go out into the world to evangelize and start fellowships or churches in other places to spread the gospel?)
12. FOR the PERFECTING of the saints, for the work of the ministry, FOR the EDIFYING of the BODY of Christ:
13. TIL we ALL come in the UNITY of the FAITH, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:
14. THAT (or SO THAT) we henceforth be NO MORE children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to DECEIVE;
15. But (rather that we, who ALL are obeying our call to be in UNITY or in agreement) speaking the TRUTH in LOVE, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16. From whom the WHOLE body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplies, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, makes increase of the body unto the EDIFYING of itself in LOVE.”
Please read 1 Corinthians 1:10.
“Now I BESEECH you (or I beg of you or I implore you), brethren, by the NAME of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you ALL speak the SAME THING, and that there be NO divisions among you; but that you be PERFECTLY joined together in the SAME MIND and in the SAME JUDGMENT.”
Please read Psalm 133:1
“Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in UNITY !”
So then, if we ALL AGREE to endeavor to come into the UNITY of the faith where we all speak the SAME thing, then we must lay ASIDE for a moment ALL of what we have been taught on the SUBJECT or doctrine upon which we DISAGREE, so that we can read and study God's word of truth allowing the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us into all truth, HIS truth, and NOT what we INTERPRET the word of God to mean, in order to try and support what our church denomination has taught us.
Jesus not only warned us to take heed to what we hear, but also to take heed HOW we hear. So if you hear or read the Bible teachings of others with the ATTITUDE of, "Oh I have heard all that before", or with the attitude that you only are right and you are going to straighten every one else out, then you are NOT truly listening to a word your fellow brothers and sisters are ENDEAVORING to teach you.
It may be that your are the one who has the truth, but you are NOT listening to WHY that THEY are blinded to the truth. It may be that THEY have the truth and you are not truly listening to their arguments of why you are in error.
And again I have been guilty of doing this myself, but when I did indeed truly LISTEN to what my seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping brothers and sisters in the Lord were saying, then the Holy Spirit revealed things to me that were hindering them from seeing the truth of the whole word of God.
Now again WHAT they are endeavoring to teach you MAY or may NOT be sound Biblical teaching, BUT there may be something that YOU yourself may not be seeing that will help you, or will help them come into more UNITY of faith. Let me say this another way. At those times, when we TRULY listen to what others have to say, are the times when we hear from God's Holy Spirit saying to us, There it is!, There is the problem, and then we understand WHY they are not seeing the SAME thing, which the Holy Spirit has show you to be the truth!
Let me say this one more time so you understand what I am saying to you. When we TRULY lay aside what we have previous come to believe in order to LISTEN to the other side of the controversy, so that we can truly HEAR from God as to WHY or WHAT that stumbling block is, which is causing blindness either to them OR blindness to us, or perhaps blindness to BOTH sides, then at those times of truly listening to UNDERSTAND is when the Holy Spirit will open our eyes of understanding.
So then, if you trust the Holy Spirit over what you have PREVIOUSLY been taught by your church denomination KNOWING that God is NOT a man that HE should lie, then you have NO worries or fear, because IF SO BE that what you have been taught in the past by your church denomination is indeed the 100% SOUND Biblical TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God, then by merely TRUSTING God's WORD of truth and his Holy Spirit will NOT change a thing in what you have been taught to believe by your church denomination by man.
In other words, you have NOTHING to lose and EVERYTHING to gain by searching the word of truth for YOURSELF to see if what you have been taught in the past is the truth of the WHOLE word of God, because if so be that what you have been taught in the past by your church denomination is indeed false teaching and NOT sound Biblical teaching, then you will see for yourself correction from God's word of truth where the Holy Spirit himself is correcting the errors of interpretation made by your church denomination in what they have taught you to believe.
Now hear is what we KNOW with absolute certainty:
#1. You know that you ARE saved, because you truly and sincerely believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, who suffered and died on the cross for your sins. And you KNOW beyond any shadow of a doubt that when you die or when Jesus comes you will be found that good and faithful servant and you WILL receive eternal life in the world to come!
#2. You sincerely believe with all you heart what you have been taught to believe by your church denomination IS the TRUTH.
#3. You sincerely believe with all your heart that what you have been taught to believe by your church denomination was taught to them and to you BY the Holy Spirit and NOT by man, because you yourself have searched God's word to see if what you are being taught is the TRUTH.
#4. Therefore you sincerely believe with all you heart that anyone, who DISAGREES with what you SINCERELY believe is the TRUTH, is being DECEIVED by Satan the devil even though THEY SAY that YOU are being deceived by the devil.
#5. The Christians that SAY that all other Christians are the ones, who are being DECEIVED by the devil sincerely believe with all their heart the SAME thing that YOU sincerely believe in points #1 - #4 above.
In other words, BOTH sides sincerely believe that what THEY are teaching is the TRUTH otherwise they would NOT be teaching it, if so be, they KNOW that it is NOT the truth. No true born again HONEST Christian deliberately and intentionally teaches a LIE knowing full well that it is a LIE or a doctrine of the devil or that they know that they have been deceived by the devil. What I mean to say is that no true born again HONEST Christian, who is OBEYING the leading of the Holy Spirit to throw out the error of deception from the enemy, when the Holy Spirit himself REVEALS the errors of deception to them will continue to believe and teach a lie.
Yes there are those who are DISHONEST that are fleecing the flock for filthy decree. God KNOWS who they are and HE will judge them.
I am only speaking to HONEST Christians, who truly believe that they have the truth and sincerely want all other Christ to believe what THEY sincerely believe is the truth.
BOTH sides are HONEST sincere true born again Christians wanting only that the other side believe what THEY believe is the truth.
Are we all still in AGREEMENT thus FAR?
Good! I am pleased to hear that we are all dwelling in UNITY thus far.
Let us continue.
So then, how can we know WHO is right and who is wrong concerning the CONTROVERSY at hand, meaning whatever that controversy may be at any time, because BOTH sides cannot be 100 % correct seeing that there is indeed a controversy and BOTH sides QUOTE many verses of scripture to try and support what they have come to believe as being the TRUTH?
The controversy at hand here in this study of God word is the QUESTION of whether or not the TEN commandments are still applicable in the NEW Testament under the NEW COVENANT? But more precisely is the FOURTH commandment still in FORCE, as in, MUST Christians keep Saturday, the seventh day of the week as the Jews under the OLD covenant to rest from all work from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday lest we SIN?
Seventh day Sabbath keeping Christians say YES! Saturday Sabbath keeping Christians say that we, as Christians, MUST obey ALL TEN commandments in order to receive eternal life in the world to come according to Revelation 22:14,15.
“Blessed are they that DO his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
15. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whore mongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loves and makes a LIE.”
Christians, who worship God on Sunday say NO! Sunday Christians say that we as Christians are NOT taught in the NEW Testament to keep the FOURTH commandment, which is the keeping of the SEVENTH day to REST from all physical work as the JEWS were taught in the Old Testament under the OLD covenant. And that Christians are ONLY taught in the NEW Testament under the NEW covenant to LOVE God and keep the MORAL laws of God, which are covered in the other NINE commandments of God.
Well I hate to say this dear child of God, but THIS is NOT speaking the SAME thing! Thus we are NOT in UNITY of the faith! And BOTH sides are NOT obeying the WHOLE WILL of Almighty God by DIVIDING ourselves into different church denominations. This is Satan's deception, DIVIDE and conquer. Jesus said ANY kingdom DIVIDED against itself shall not stand.
Now the TRUE church will never fall, but those branches that separate themselves from the TRUTH of the gospel will not continue to grow in the grace of God. They will become religious institutions teaching their OWN personal interpretation of God's word.
So then, HOW can we solve this dilemma of BOTH sides sincerely believing with all their heart that THEY are teaching the TRUTH?
FIRST we must TRULY listen and HEAR what the OTHER side is saying, so that we can truly be shown by the Holy Spirit what the STUMBLING BLOCKAGE is that is preventing one side or the other from SEEING the truth of the WHOLE word of God.
Then we must go to the word of TRUTH, the Holy Bible, and find the point where we disagree, speaking of that stumbling block, or referring to that BLOCKAGE, which the Holy Spirit REVEALED to you, while you were TRULY listening to what the other side has to say, that is preventing the OTHER side from seeing what the Holy Spirit has show you to be the truth of the whole word of God.
And then, after seeing what the problem is that is hindering others from seeing the truth, YOU must allow the Holy Spirit to reveal the TRUE meaning of that point whatever it may be on any given controversy and any given individual person that this BLOCKAGE may be to THEM.
You see dear child of God, it may be one point for this Christian and another point of blockage for a different brother or sister in the Lord, which is keeping them or you from seeing the CORRECT meaning of the verse in question.
In other words, after the Holy Spirit has revealed to you what is keeping that PARTICULAR brother and sister from agreeing with what you believe and teach, then you must go to God's word and allow HIM to teach you the correct meaning of the verse in question or the POINT of blockage, that line of reasoning, that INTERPRETATION of a verse that is causing the DIVISION. Let the Holy Spirit show you how to explain the truth in another way and in some cases allow the Holy Spirit to teach you the error of your interpretation or your understanding.
Now you MAY or may NOT have the correct meaning or the correct interpretation already. If it turns out that you do already know HIS truth, then you must allow the Holy Spirit to teach you HOW to teach this truth to others in a way that THEY can see and understand HIS truth. What I mean by this is that the WAY that you yourself have come to understand HIS truth may NOT be the WAY in which another brother or sister will be able to UNDERSTAND in the same way that you came to understand.
Now if it turns out that God has revealed to YOU that you were in error, then you must be willing to change and teach only the truth of the whole word of God.
Here is what I know. The Holy Spirit, when he teaches me, says to me, when I ask a question about a verse as what does this verse mean, he says, read it again. So I read the scripture in question again, and I still do not see what he is trying to show me and I say to the Lord, I am not seeing what you are trying to show me, so he says, read it AGAIN. So I read the scripture in question again, and I still do not see what he is trying to show me and I say to the Lord, I am not seeing what you are trying to show me, so he says, THINK of it THIS way, and he gives me a NEW way to look at that verse in question, while I read it again. Then I SEE the correct and true meaning of that verse in question.
What I mean by the verse in QUESTION is those CONTROVERSIAL verses where one Christians says it mean THIS and another Christians says no it means something different and neither side will budge on what THEY say that verse means.
Now here is a MISCONCEPTION of some Christians, who say that only ONE side can have the correct meaning of that verse in question. This MAY be the case, but it is not ALWAYS the case.
What I mean by this is that BOTH sides may EACH have PART of the truth concerning that verse in question, but at the same time NEITHER side is seeing the WHOLE complete correct meaning of that verse in question and thus BOTH sides also have a little ERROR in their teaching of that verse in question.
So then, it takes TRULY listening to each other, truly listening to the Holy Spirit and TRULY endeavoring to come into UNITY of faith where we ALL speak the SAME thing before all the denominational WALLS of DIVISION are broken down.
The NON denominational church had the right pursuit by coming together to work out the differences out so we could dwell together in UNITY, but some stopped ENDEAVORING to come the KNOWLEDGE of the truth of the whole word of God so that we all believe and teach the SAME thing. Thus many non denominational churches merely became ANOTHER denominational DIVISION of the ONE body of Jesus Christ by NOT endeavoring to teach the WHOLE matter.
To say this another way, teaching only ONE SIDE of the controversy is NOT endeavoring to believe and teach the SAME things. Teaching your congregation only YOUR side of the controversy is NOT endeavoring to understand WHY the other side does not AGREE with what you have come to sincerely believe as being the truth.
Now on some matters of controversy we may already be saying the same thing and the controversy comes only because we THINK that we are saying something different. We are saying the same thing, but the different terms we use makes it seem like we are saying different things.
At other times there may be a little truth on BOTH sides and a little error on BOTH sides.
Or it may be that one side or the other has not TRULY considered the WHOLE word of God by interpreting verses out of context.
Or one side or the other may not be seeing the BIG picture of the WHOLE word of God.
Thus in the case in this particular study in God's word where one side or the other are FOCUSING on just ONE covenant at a time and NOT truly considering BOTH the OLD covenant and the NEW covenants TOGETHER.
So then, without judging one another let us endeavor as the word of God teaches us to come into the UNITY of the faith where we all speak the SAME thing concerning the KEEPING of the TEN commandments.
Let us stay in LOVE toward one another and let us NOT judge one another any more!
If you are in agreement thus far let us now get to the heart of truly HEARING God's truth without any bias in the CONCLUSION of the WHOLE matter, which is to FEAR God AND keep HIS commandments. Let us continue to hear from the Holy Spirit leading us BOTH into ALL truth or to the truth of the WHOLE word of God.
We ALL AGREE that God will HIMSELF never breaks ANY of HIS covenants of which there are more than just two covenants that God made with man, but that is another study in and of itself.
For now we are only focusing on the first covenant that God made the children of Israel in Exodus chapter 31 AFTER he delivered the children of Israel out of Egypt, which is called the OLD covenant. And we are also focusing on God's NEW covenant, which God himself promised to make with the house of Israel and the house of Judah in Jeremiah 31:31,32, which is the NEW covenant of the NEW Testament established in the shed blood of God's Son Jesus.
“Behold, the days come, says the LORD, that I will make a NEW COVENANT with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:32. NOT ACCORDING to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them OUT of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, says the LORD:”
Now I know that BOTH sides have read this verse that I am about to quote a hundred times before and you may THINK you know what it says, but I implore you to humor me and please read it again with you eyes open TRUSTING that the Holy Spirit with REVEAL the TRUE meaning of this passage of scripture to you.
In fact take a moment right now and ask God saying, “I only want to know YOUR truth Lord, so as I read your word I thank you in the name of your Son Jesus for opening my eyes to the truth of your whole word to know YOUR truth O Lord.”
Now please read Colossians 2:1-22.
“For I would that you KNEW what great conflict I have for YOU (my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ), and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh; (Even though I have never seen all of you face to face my heart yearns that you all come into the UNITY of faith being rooted and ground in HIS word of truth and not in man-made church doctrine, which have deceived SOME of you)
2. That their hearts might be comforted (Some of you are STRUGGLING in your faith not knowing what to believe and you ONLY want to believe the TRUTH, the WHOLE truth and nothing but the TRUTH. If this is you then you WILL be comforted), being knit together in LOVE, and unto all riches of the FULL ASSURANCE of UNDERSTANDING, to the ACKNOWLEDGMENT of the MYSTERY of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;
3. IN whom are HID all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
4. And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.
5. For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the steadfastness of your faith in Christ.
6. As you have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk you IN HIM:
7. Rooted and built up IN HIM, and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
8. BEWARE lest any man spoil you through philosophy and VAIN DECEIT (this means beware of false teaching that profits you nothing, but rather these deceitful teachings move you away from what God himself wants for you), after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and NOT after Christ.
9. For in him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily.
10. And you are complete IN HIM, which is the head of all principality and power:
11. IN WHOM also you ARE circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh BY the circumcision of Christ:
12. Buried with him in baptism, wherein also you are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
13. And you, being dead in your sins AND the circumcision of your FLESH, (ONE doctrine of VAIN DECEIT is the teaching by Jewish Christians that Gentile Christians MUST be circumcised in the FLESH made with hands and keep all the law of Moses CONTAINED in ORDINANCES in order to be SAVED and we know that circumcision in the FLESH profits us NOTHING under the NEW covenant. Thus those of you, who are yet TRUSTING in your FLESH are being dead in your sins, whom) has he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
14. BLOTTING OUT the handwriting of ORDINANCES that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, NAILING it to his cross; (So then, the handwriting of ORDINANCE that were placed in the SIDE of the ark of the covenant were NAILED to the cross being blotted out and taken away being FULFILLED by the shed blood of Jesus.)
15. And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
16. Let no man THEREFORE JUDGE you in (#1.) meat, or in drink, or in (#2.) respect of an holy day, or of (#3.) the new moon, or of (#4.) the Sabbath days:
17. Which are a SHADOW of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
18. Let no man BEGUILE you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshiping of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, (There are some who claim to have seen angels, who have revealed things to them, who have esteemed their visitation, vision, or dream above the very word of God itself. So this verse is saying do let be deceived by those who claim that they have had visitations by angels who told them to teach what they are teaching. Read this verse from the good news translation. "Do not allow yourselves to be condemned by anyone who claims to be superior because of special visions and who insists on false humility and the worship of angels (or messengers or ministers). For no reason at all, such people are all puffed up by their human way of thinking." And Young's literal translation says, "let no one beguile you of your prize, delighting in humble-mindedness and [in] worship of the messengers, intruding into the things he hath not seen, being vainly puffed up by the mind of his flesh,". In other words, do not be deceived by those who idolize Ellen G White who claims she has had visions.)
19. And NOT holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increases with the increase OF God.
20. Wherefore (or for this very reason of) if you be dead with Christ FROM the RUDIMENTS of the world, WHY, as though living in the world, are you SUBJECT to ORDINANCES, (which have been nailed to the cross, blotted out and taken out of the way by being FULFILLED by the shed blood of Jesus on the cross? The rudiments of the world are defined for us in the next verse.)
21. (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22. Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23. Which things have indeed a show of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honor to the satisfying of the flesh.”
The meaning of “after the RUDIMENTS of the world” means that being IN Jesus Christ we have been set FREE from ALL the RUDIMENTS of worldly services to God or all the carnal works of the flesh that were indeed AUTHORITATIVE COMMANDS of God given to the CHILDREN of ISRAEL for THEM to keep throughout THEIR generations.
The word “RUDIMENT” means a fundamental principle as of a field of LEARNING. Something in an INCIPIENT or UNDEVELOPED form, the BEGINNINGS of something. An IMPERFECT or INCOMPLETE something. Incipient means an initial or an early stage of something, which will be completed later. The word rudimentary means relating to basic facts or principles that MUST be LEARNED. Something that is not completely developed, but rather is in the BEGINNING stage of development.
So then, to define the RUDIMENTS in a Biblical way, or in a way that relates to the Biblical subject at hand in this CONTEXT, is to simple say that ALL the AUTHORITATIVE commandments of God that were RUDIMENTS of carnal WORKS of the flesh, which were COMMANDED by God for the CHILDREN of ISRAEL to keep, were SHADOWS pointing to the TRUE, which MUST be LEARNED as to understand their TRUE meaning of WHO or what they were pointing to.
This word rudimentary also means VESTIGE, which has evidence or a sign of existing, but no longer exists or appears NO MORE. Again when related to the Bible this mean that the CEREMONIAL law contained in ORDINANCES are NO MORE. They were authoritative commands given to the children of Israel to be kept under the OLD covenant, but under the NEW covenant they are NO MORE authoritative commands that must be kept by Christians.
In a nut shell the first covenant was part ONE of a two stage plan of God to save mankind where God's salvation would be COMPLETED in stage TWO. We are COMPLETE being in Jesus.
Now if simple words mean anything at all, then we all MUST agree that the handwriting of ORDINANCES are indeed NAILED to the cross of Jesus and thus have been BLOTTED OUT and taken away being FULFILLED in Jesus whereby we NO LONGER KEEP those ORDINANCES that were placed in the SIDE of the ark of the covenant, which were the RUDIMENTS of worldly service that God gave as authoritative commandments for the CHILDREN of ISRAEL to keep throughout THEIR generation to LEARN their TRUE mean as to WHY God commanded for THEM to keep these ORDINANCES.
This is WHY the REMNANT of the children of Israel will NOT enter into the world to come to REST by being given ETERNAL LIFE, but rather they will go into the SEVENTH 1000 year long day of the Lord in their mortal bodies to LEARN the TRUE meaning of the SHADOWS pointing to their MESSIAH.
So then, while seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping Christians may be in AGREEMENT with Sunday Christians on what we have covered thus far including that the law contained in ORDINANCES was indeed nailed to the cross being blotted our and taken out of the way being NO MORE authoritative commands that must be kept, we are NOT all in agreement to whether or not the FOURTH commandment was nailed to the cross or not.
Saturday Sabbath keeping Christians again say NO! Absolutely NOT! God would never do away with just ONE commandment and leave ONLY the other nine commandments as must be obeyed in order to receive eternal life in the world to come.
So then, to Saturday seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping Christians, it makes NO logical sense for God to ABOLISH the FOURTH commandment ONLY, while keeping the other nine commandment in place as must be kept commandments in order to receive eternal life in the word to come according the Revelation 22:14,15 where Jesus plainly teaches us the ONLY those of us who are keeping the COMMANDMENTS of God will be given the right to eat of the tree of life.
To minds or logic of seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping Christians ALL of the TEN commandment were given at the SAME time by Almighty God himself engraving ALL TEN commandments with his very own finger on STONE, so again to them it makes NO logical sense that God would ABOLISH just ONE of these commandment and yet KEEP the other nine in force as must be kept commandments.
Saturday Sabbath keeping Christians also point out that in Exodus chapter 20 in the King James Version the FOURTH commandment is right in the CENTER of the TEN commandments, which to them is a sign that God wants us to SEE that this fourth commandment is extremely IMPORTANT to keep, for why else would it be in the CENTER of God's law? Please see the study “THE SABBATH REST IS A SIGN!” and “ARGUMENTS FOR THE SABBATH EXAMINE!”.
But on the other side of this highly controversial subject their are the some Sunday Christians, who say YES! Absolutely for SURE Jesus did indeed NAIL the FOURTH commandment to the cross! And to these Sunday keeping Christians it makes perfect logical sense that Jesus fulfilled ALL the CEREMONIAL laws and that we are only commanded in the NEW Testament under the NEW COVENANT to keep the ONLY the MORAL law or the MORAL COMMANDMENTS of God. Thus to these particular Sunday keeping Christians the fourth commandment was ABOLISHED, blotted out, taken out of the way and nailed to the cross. And I must admit that I myself WAS one, past tense, who taught that the fourth commandment was ABOLISHED.
However, these particular Sunday keeping Christians, also are in ERROR by wrongly teaching that the WHOLE fourth commandment was abolished. What I mean by this is that by teaching others that the fourth commandment has been done away with, ABOLISHED or nailed to the cross and therefore this is the reason of why Christians do NOT have to KEEP the fourth commandment, because it has been completely eliminated by God himself is NOT completely ACCURATE and therefore is one of the reasons of WHY there is DIVISION in the church.
I myself was one of these Christians, UNTIL I truly began to LISTEN to the other side and the Holy Spirit revealed to me the blockage that was preventing SOME Sabbath keepers from see the truth of the WHOLE word of God is this word ABOLISH, which many Sabbath keepers cannot see how God can completely ABOLISH just one of his commandments juts as if it had never existed and yet keep the other NINE commandments as being must keep commandments in order to receive eternal life in the world to come.
So now I am speaking to Sunday keeping Christians to change the WAY we are teaching WHY we as Christians are not commanded to keep the Sabbath day as the Jews.
Remember that others are STRUGGLING to see and understand WHY God would engrave in stone with his very OWN finger TEN commandments and then later CHANGE his mind as I he only meant to give us NINE commandments to keep.
Are you HEARING what they are saying. Do you UNDERSTAND the stumbling block that is blocking them and YOU from seeing the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God that it was the ORDINANCES that were BLOTTED out and taken away and nailed to the cross and NOT the TEN commandments that were nailed to the cross.
So then, HOW do we resolve this dilemma to bring peace and UNITY in the body of Jesus Christ where we ALL speak the SAME thing?
Well one side argues and says, just believe what WE teach and everything will be fine, and the other side says, no you just accept and believe what WE teach, and then everything will be fine, because WE are right and your are wrong.
Sorry! Not going to happen, because BOTH sides sincerely and truly believe with all their heart that THEY are teaching the TRUTH and the OTHER side is wrong being deceived by the devil.
Well again I myself see a LITTLE truth on BOTH sides and I also see a LITTLE error on BOTH sides.
So then, let us KEEP the truth from BOTH sides and throw away the ERROR on BOTH sides in order to come into the UNITY of the faith where we all speak the SAME thing on the matter of the weekly SEVENTH day the Sabbath day of REST.
Let us continue to find things that we ALL agree upon.
Do you agree that the handwriting of ORDINANCES that was against us, which was CONTRARY to us, which none of the father's of Israel nor the disciples of Jesus were able to bear were BLOTTED OUT, and took it OUT of the WAY, NAILING it (ALL the law CONTAINED in ORDINANCE) to his cross.?
Please read Colossians 2:14 again along with Acts 15:10, Ephesians 2:8-18, and Hebrews 1:14. Do NOT try and interpret the words, but rather simply READ the words.
Good! I am blessed the hear that you do indeed AGREE with the clear plain and simple word of God stated as FACT with absolute NO interpretation needed that it was the handwriting of ORDINANCES that were nailed to the cross and NOT the TEN commandments that were nailed to the cross and BLOTTED OUT.
The Bible ITSELF does NOT state that the TEN commandments were nailed to the cross, NOR does God's word say that the FOURTH commandments was nailed to the cross, but rather plainly states the the handwriting of ORDINANCES was blotted out, taken out of the way and nailed to the cross.
Remember the title of this study in God's word?
THE SABBATH KEEPERS ARE RIGHT!
Well on this particular point they are indeed correct! God did NOT abolish ANY of the TEN commandments, but rather Almighty God FULFILLED ALL the ORDINANCES of the law, or the handwriting contained in ORDINANCES that was AGAINST us through his SON Jesus, who was nailed to the cross.
Please keep in mind that we SAY things in DIFFERENT ways where one side THINKS that we are saying something that we are NOT TRULY saying and thus we have CONTROVERSY.
Now Sabbath keeping Christians understand perfectly that God did NOT ABOLISH any of the TEN commandments and therefore THEY sincerely believe with all their heart that all Christians MUST without fail keep the FOURTH commandment.
And I now see their SIDE of WHY they do not understand how God can give TEN commandment and then later throw one out and I AGREE. So I dug DEEPER into to God's word and the Holy Spirit showed me that Sunday keeping Christians have been wrong in the WAY that they are teaching the ORDINANCES being nailed to the cross to MEAN that the FOURTH COMMANDMENT was ABOLISHED leaving Sabbath keeping Christians to wrongly believe that the Sabbath REST has been ABOLISHED.
The TRUTH of the matter is that we, as Christians MUST KEEP the FOURTH commandment as well as ALL the commandments of God. AND I do believe that ALL Christians on BOTH sides do indeed believe this truth, thus BOTH sides are saying the SAME thing, but in DIFFERENT ways.
What I mean by this is that BOTH sides are correct in saying that we must keep the fourth commandment AND that we are not taught to keep the fourth commandment at the same time.
WHAT? you may be thinking. These are two different things. So how is this possible for BOTH sides to be correct and yet being teaching OPPOSITE things. You may be thinking that this makes NO logical sense whatsoever.
And this is why NEITHER side has seen the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God.
You see dear child of God, the ERROR and controversy comes in the HOW do we KEEP the fourth commandment under the NEW covenant?
Please understand that I am NOT talking about CHANGING the day of REST from the SEVENTH day to the FIRST day, from Saturday to Sunday.
But rather I am talking about HOW do we KEEP the fourth commandment as taught under the NEW COVENANT in the NEW Testament?
I may have lost some of you there, so let me say this another way. We all AGREE that the ORDINANCES were nailed to the cross. I mean if words mean anything at all, then we MUST ALL AGREE that the clear, plain a, simple word of God teaches us in simplicity that the handwriting of ORDINANCES were ABOLISHED, blotted out, taken out of the way and nailed to the cross. So unless you want to remove these words of Almighty God from the Bible, then you MUST agree that the ORDINANCES were COMPLETELY ABOLISHED NEVER to be COMPELLED upon Christians to KEEP. These ceremonial laws of physical worldly service to God did exist under the OLD covenant and now they are NO MORE under the NEW covenant. They were RUDIMENTS of worldly service to God, which were SHADOWS point to the TRUE, and NOW we must worship God in Spirit and in TRUTH.
So then, WHAT is an ORDINANCE? An ordinance is an authoritative command. The handwriting of ordinances written by the hand of Moses were the DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS of HOW to keep the CEREMONIAL RUDIMENTARY ELEMENTS of the LAW of God.
The HOW TO instructions of HOW to keep the Sabbath day of REST, written in ORDINANCES, were things like do not pick up sticks, do not kindle a fire, do not walk more than a Sabbath's day journey on the Sabbath day of REST. And it is the HOW TO INSTRUCTIONS or ORDINANCES that were nailed to the cross of Jesus, which were BLOTTED OUT and has taken out of the way being FULFILLED by the shed blood of Jesus.
In other words, in the NEW Testament under the NEW COVENANT we still yet KEEP the fourth commandment of keeping the Sabbath REST, but we keep the Sabbath in a different WAY.
Now let me PROVE this to you by the word of TRUTH!
God back and read Colossians 2:10-14.
“And you are complete IN HIM, which is the head of all principality and power:(all we need to be saved and receive eternal life in the world to come is IN HIM, in Jesus Christ our Lord and savior. If we honor NOT the Son we honor NOT Almighty God the Father.)
11. IN WHOM also you ARE circumcised with the circumcision made WITHOUT hands, (not without any hands, but without YOUR hands or your OWN works of the flesh keeping what God commanded the children of Israel to keep to TEACH them something that he wanted and still yet desire the children of Israel to LEARN. But we who are IN Jesus Christ have ALREADY learned the TRUE meaning of these SHADOWS pointing to the Messiah, Jesus our lord and savior. Thus WE, as Christians, ARE KEEPING the LAW of CIRCUMCISION by RESTING in the TRUE gospel of Jesus Christ that we ARE circumcised BY the HANDS of Almighty God himself through his Son Jesus, and NOT by the hands of our OWN works) in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh BY the CIRCUMCISION of Christ: (So then, it was the HOW TO keep that law of circumcision or the ORDINANCE of circumcision that was nailed to the cross and NOT the commandment to be circumcised being ABOLISHED. By FAITH we are NOW under the NEW covenant CIRCUMCISED of Christ)
12. Buried with him in baptism, wherein also you are risen with him through the FAITH of the OPERATION OF God, who hath raised him from the dead. (In other words, we are NEW creatures in Jesus by the OPERATION of Almighty God himself to become HIS workmanship and NOT our OWN workmanship.)
13. And you, being dead in your sins AND the circumcision of your FLESH, (ONE such doctrine of VAIN DECEIT is the teaching by Jewish Christians that Gentile Christians MUST be circumcised in the FLESH mad with hands and keep all the law of Moses CONTAINED in ORDINANCES in order to be SAVED and we know that circumcision in the FLESH profits us NOTHING under the NEW covenant. Thus those of you, who are yet TRUSTING in your FLESH are being dead in in your sins, who he) has he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
14. BLOTTING OUT the handwriting of ORDINANCES ( the INSTRUCTIONS of HOW TO) that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, NAILING it to his cross;”
So then, the prophecy of Hosea 2:11 was fulfilled at the CROSS and God caused ALL the feast days and Sabbaths to CEASE by the NAILING ALL handwriting of ORDINANCES that were placed in the SIDE of the ark of the covenant to the cross, and thus they ALL were blotted out and taken away being FULFILLED by the shed blood of Jesus on the cross.
In other words, the LAW of CIRCUMCISION was NOT abolished, but rather was FULFILLED by Jesus.
And NOW under the NEW covenant Jesus is our true circumcision.
And by RESTING in Jesus as our Lord and Savior we are KEEPING the law of circumcision by being circumcised by the hands of Almighty God with the TRUE SPIRITUAL circumcision, which God planned all along.
You see dear child of God, Yahweh only BEGAN this so great a salvation with the RUDIMENTS or the ELEMENTS of carnal worldly service, which he himself commanded the children of Israel to keep to LEARN what he was teaching them one step at a time in order to keep his plan of salvation SECRET from the enemy for had they know they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
When you look up the meaning of the Greek word “KATALYO or kataluo”, which is translated as destroy in Matthew 5:17-19 in the King James version and as abolish in some other translations, you will find that the correct translation should have been COMPLETELY destroy.
In other words, the only PART of the law of circumcision that was ABOLISH at the cross, was the HOW TO be circumcised part contained in ORDINANCES. To say this another way it was the INSTRUCTIONS given in the OLD Testament of keeping the carnal works of God done in the flesh or the WORKS of our OWN hands that was nailed to the cross and not the actual law of circumcision itself.
So again, it was the PHYSICAL keeping of the WORK of cutting of the flesh made with hands to circumcise the physical flesh being given by God as a BEGINNING of and INCOMPLETE principle, which was a SHADOW pointing to our TRUE circumcision being the SPIRITUAL WORK of his Son, Jesus made WITHOUT OUR hands or our OWN WORK of the carnal works of worldly service to God.
And in the same way the carnal ordinances of ceremonial services to God done in the FLESH by the WORK of our OWN hands of keeping a physical day of the week to REST from PHYSICAL work was a SHADOW pointing to our TRUE SPIRITUAL REST of CEASING from the WORK of the PHYSICAL ORDINANCES of HOW TO keep of the Sabbath day of REST under the OLD covenant.
The Sabbath REST has NOT been abolished as some Sunday keeping Christians have wrongly taught and thus they have ERRED by the WAY that they are trying to explain why Christians are NOT taught in the NEW Testament under the NEW covenant to keep the Sabbath day AS the JEWS.
God did not change a DAY of rest to ANOTHER DAY of rest!
God fulfilled the ORDINANCE of HOW to keep Sabbath or how to keep REST from resting on a DAY of the week to RESTING on his SON Jesus!
So BOTH sides have a little error and both sides have a little truth. Again let us KEEP the truth and throw out the error.
Many of you are beginning to understand now that Jesus did not come to COMPLETELY destroy ANY of the LAW of God. But rather Jesus came to FULFILL that PART of the law of God, which was against us that were only SHADOWS pointing to the TRUE, wherein the TRUE he ESTABLISHED and made firm.
So then, God's Sabbath REST still yet remains for us to KEEP, but the HOW TO keep part of God's Sabbath REST, which was given to the children of Israel for THEM to keep throughout THEIR generations for THEM to LEARN WHY and WHO delivered them from the BONDAGE of SLAVERY in the land of Egypt was what was ABOLISHED. Yet most of Israel has not LEARNED the TRUE meaning of the SHADOWS of ordinances or instructions of the carnal worldly services given to them by God are pointing to God's Son Jesus as the Messiah or their deliver from their sins.
Please read Matthew 5:17-19 using the correct meaning of the Greek word “KATALYO or Kataluo”, which means completely destroy or totally abolish.
“Think not that I am come to UTTERLY DESTROY or to COMPLETELY ABOLISH the law, OR the prophets: I am not come to UTTERLY or COMPLETELY DESTROY, but to FULFILL .
18. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be FULFILLED.”
Jesus did not come to COMPLETELY destroy the shedding of blood for the forgiveness of sin, but rather Jesus FULFILLED the law contained in ORDINANCES as to the HOW TO or the WAY is which blood is to be shed for the forgiveness of sin. The OLD rudiment of the world pertaining to the shedding of blood for sins was the offering of animal sacrifices every year, which pointed to the TRUE LAMB, which God himself would sacrifice ONCE so that there would be NO MORE animal sacrifices.
So God did not ABOLISH the shedding of blood for sins, but only abolished that PART of shedding of blood contained in ORDINANCES, which were the how to rudimentary worldly carnal physical ceremonial ritual services to God commanded in the Old Testament under the OLD covenant.
The keeping of carnal worldly services to God made by human hands of the flesh of sacrificing of the PHYSICAL lambs for the forgiveness of sins was a SHADOW pointing to the TRUE LAMB of God, which HE HIMSELF would provide in the fullness of time, so that NO man could BOAST in the WORK of his OWN hands.
We are NOT under the ORDINANCES or HOW TO authoritative instructions of the WAY to keep the law of God given ONLY to the children of Israel under the OLD covenant for THEM to keep throughout THEIR generations, but rather we are under the law of Christ to KEEP God law in the TRUE SPIRITUAL manner , which was his plan all along to way. So then, the ONLY part of the law that was ABOLISHED was the carnal worldly CEREMONIAL or RITUAL services, which Gave gave to Israel to keep as a TEACHING tools, so to speak, of a a SHADOW pointing to the TRUE, which was yet to come.
Another error of some Sunday Christians is that Jesus kept the law FOR us so we do NOT have to keep any of the law. No where in the Bible does it say that we are saved by grace ALONE. Please read the study “IS ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED BIBLICAL?”
NO! A thousand times NO! Jesus did not keep the MORAL law so that he could turn around to destroy or abolish the MORAL law of God. Jesus said NOT one jot or tittle of the LAW, speaking of the CEREMONIAL law, AND it was that PART of the law that was and yet will be FULFILLED in Jesus that shall NOT pass away till all be FULFILLED. More on this later, but for now I want you to see that we are NOW under the LAW of CHRIST to follow and OBEY the words, teachings, instructions and commandments of God's Son Jesus in the NEW Testament under the NEW covenant.
Please read Galatians 6:2.
“Bear you one another's burdens, and so FULFILL the law of Christ.”
This agrees with the rest of the words, of the NEW covenant to walk in LOVE, to love one another even as Jesus loves us, and to love one another even as we love our self. We are under GRACE and the law of FAITH being under the NEW covenant. Jesus gave us TWO commandments saying that ALL the law is fulfilled by keeping those two commandments.
Please read Romans 2:19-31.
“Now we know that what things soever the law says, it says to them who are UNDER the LAW (In other words, if you were a Jew, who was under the OLD covenant LAW of God, then you were to obey the ORDINANCES, the TEACHINGS, the INSTRUCTIONS, the things written in the OLD Testament. But NOW we are under a NEW covenant where we are given NEW ORDINANCES, NEW WORDS, NEW teachings, and a NEW WAY of KEEPING ALL the laws of God.): that or (so that) every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. (It was God's GRACE as to why God CONCLUDED ALL of mankind under sin. Galatians chapter 3. Now this does not mean that the REASON WHY God concluded ALL of mankind GUILTY before him was so that God condemns everyone to death. But rather it is because God desires for ALL men to be SAVED by coming to the knowledge of the TRUTH. One such knowledge of the truth is that God had a PLAN to save mankind BEFORE God ever created mankind. So to have a correct understanding of God's word we must see the BIG picture. Please read the study “GOD'S WORD IS LIKE A JIGSAW PUZZLE!”.)
20. Therefore by the DEEDS (or the WORKS contained in ordinances) of the law there shall NO flesh be JUSTIFIED in HIS sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. (Now in truth this verse is misleading, especially when you see the big picture of WHY the first covenant was made and that the law contained in ordinances were given to the children of Israel to keep as a SHADOW to UNDERSTAND the TRUE, which they were MISSING. Humor me for a while and read this verse as literally saying, “The WORKS of the law contained in ORDINANCES shall NO man be JUSTIFIED. For through the law the VIEWING of HIM is knowledge of what is being MISSED”. The word translated as sin also means what is MISSED, something failed to do or something failed to see or understand. In other words the ORDINANCES of the law were given to the children of Israel as a SCHOOLMASTER to teach them about their Messiah, which they MISSED. The ordinances of the law contained the KNOWLEDGE pointing to the TRUE, which the children of Israel MISSED.)
21. But NOW the righteousness of God WITHOUT the law is manifested (or made clearly known to us), being WITNESSED BY (or THROUGH) the law and the prophets; (This means that the NEW covenant was PROPHESIED by the law and the prophets to come. This means that the CEREMONIAL laws were a WITNESS to what Israel as a nation were MISSING. The NEW covenant was God's plan of salvation all along. God has NEVER CHANGED and there is no variableness of turning in him. God's plan of salvation was made by God before the foundation of the world for ALL of mankind to be SAVED IN his SON Jesus and NOT by their OWN good works done in their OWN strength so they could BOAST in themselves. Paul himself understood that the MORAL law of God was NEVER in question. He knew in his OWN mind that he was speaking of the ceremonial law and just assumed that every one understood that all of mankind have always been and always will be under the MORAL law of God. The very day Adam ate of the tree of KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL all of mankind from that day forward were given a CONSCIOUS by Almighty God to KNOW right from wrong. So man already had a KNOWLEDGE of SIN before the LAW was contained in ordinances was ever given to the children of Israel. The law was ADDED because OF TRANSGRESSIONS of the MORAL law of our God given conscience. Now HOW can one transgress something that was NOT YET given to them to keep? God's people were already transgressing God's MORAL law before the law of Moses. What was ADDED were the CEREMONIAL laws, the ORDINANCES of how to keep the ceremonial law, which were HIDDEN SHADOWS pointing to Jesus. The Sabbath was a SIGN pointing to Jesus as our TRUE rest. More on this later, or you can read another study devoted solely to this topic called "THE SABBATH REST IS A SIGN!". But for now please understand that TRUE righteousness does not come by the DEEDS of the law contained in ORDINANCES, which was WITNESSED by the law and the prophets being SHADOWS point to the TRUE, which we as Christians KNOW to be Jesus the Son of the living God.)
22. Even the righteousness of God which is BY FAITH OF Jesus Christ unto all and upon ALL them that BELIEVE: for there is no difference: (In the eyes of God there are NO Jews and there are NO Gentiles, when one BELIEVES the TRUE gospel of Jesus Christ.)
23. For ALL have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; (And if you say that you have never sinned you are BOASTING in the eyes of God and therefore GUILTY before HIM who created you. Therefore you will be WITHOUT any excuse on the day of judgment to say, but I did not know for you are reading this right now. You must BELIEVE on Jesus to be made the TRUE righteousness of God.)
24 Being justified FREELY by his grace through the redemption that is IN Christ Jesus:
25. Whom God has set forth (appointed or ordained before the foundation of the world) to be a propitiation through FAITH in his blood, (God did NOT abolish the shedding of blood for the forgiveness of sin, but rather abolished the OLD WAY of HOW the sacrifice was to be offered by carnal DEEDS of the law. What law? The MORAL law? NO! The CEREMONIAL ritual law ORDINANCES) to declare HIS righteousness for the remission of sins that are PAST, through the forbearance of God;
26. To declare, I say, at this time HIS righteousness: that HE (Almighty God himself) might be just, and the JUSTIFIER of him which believes in Jesus. (God wants us to be HIS workmanship and NOT our OWN workmanship. God gave the children of Israel the Sabbath REST as a SIGN for them to REMEMBER that HE brought them brought them out of the BONDAGE of SLAVERY in the land of Egypt and gave them REST from what they were made to do which they did not want to do. God wanted and still yet desires Israel to SEE that the Sabbath REST was a SHADOW pointing to their TRUE REST of Jesus being their MESSIAH, who suffered and died for THEM on the cross to redeem them for the BONDAGE of SIN to set them FREE from the BONDAGE of sin to know that sin has NO more DOMINION over them when they REST IN his Son Jesus and the WORDS of the NEW covenant.)
27. Where is BOASTING then? It is EXCLUDED.(Is boasting then excluded) By what LAW? Of WORKS? Nay: but (or rather BOASTING is EXCLUDED once and for all time) by the LAW of FAITH.
28. Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith WITHOUT the DEEDS of the law. (Now I myself did not CONCLUDE this. These are not MY words. Please understand that it is Almighty God HIMSELF, who CONCLUDED that ALL of mankind to be under sin and GUILTY before HIM, so that HE could shed forth his mercy and his grace to redeem ALL of mankind FREELY without any WORKS of the law, both ceremonial and moral, so that God HIMSELF could end BOASTING, pride, and men comparing themselves with men as their standard of righteousness. God created us as his NEW creation to DO good works of righteousness the EXCEEDS the works of the OLD covenant but the works EXCLUDE ALL the ceremonial works of the law. And the keeping of a DAY of the WEEK is one of those CEREMONIAL works. What some Christians have failed to see, is that salvation is a TWO step process. Step ONE we are saved, AS IN, all of our PAST sins are forgiven and our inner man becomes a NEW creature that God created to DO GOOD WORKS through HIS eternal power and strength and not our own strength wherein is boasting. And these good WORKS are indeed required to receive eternal life. Just disobey the Holy Spirit to prove this for yourself! The Holy Spirit will ALWAYS convict a true born again Christians when he or she sins. I implore you to read the in depth study "IS ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED BIBLICAL?")
29. Is he the God of the Jews only? Is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also:
30. Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.
31. Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we ESTABLISH the law.”
WHAT law? the law of WORKS? NAY! Paul is NOT contradicting himself. Yes I no that nowhere does Paul actually say CEREMONIAL law and MORAL law, but that is what he is actually teaching us. Basically Paul is saying here that Jesus did NOT come to COMPLETELY destroy and TOTALLY abolish the WHOLE LAW, but rather Jesus came to completely destroy PART of the law, speaking of that PART of the law contained in ORDINANCES, which was AGAINST us and contrary to to us, which none of the father's could keep nor we are able to bear, AND that Jesus came to FULFILL or establish the MORAL part of the law, by keeping ALL the law for us being perfect and spotless before God to be crucified by the principalities of this present world as an INNOCENT man, so he could redeem mankind back to God and ESTABLISH that PART of the law NOT contained in ordinances.
Jesus did not blot out the law contained in ORDINANCES to turn right back around ESTABLISH the law contained in ORDINANCES. This make absolutely no sense whatsoever. But rather Jesus abolished all the ceremonial laws contained in ordinances to establish that MORAL laws, so he could teach us a BETTER way or a more pleasing way to God to keep to TEN commandments of God.
We still keep the FOURTH commandment, but NOT in the same way. Israel kept the fourth commandment in the rudimentary PHYSICAL way of esteeming the Seventh day above all other days of the week.
But NOW under the NEW covenant we, as Christians, keep the TRUE SPIRITUAL Sabbath REST by our FAITH in God's SON Jesus. We no longer keep the SHADOW. We keep the TRUE, the substance of the SHADOW.
Dear child of God I implore you to understand that we are under a NEW COVENANT with NEW WORDS of this NEW covenant. Under the NEW covenant Almighty God himself commands us to HEAR and obey the WORDS of his SON Jesus.
Here are just some of the WORDS of Jesus, which teaches us HOW that our righteousness will EXCEED the righteousness of the Pharisees.
Please read Matthew 5:38-48.
“You HAVE HEARD (past tense under the OLD covenant) that it has been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39. But I say unto you, That you resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40. And if any man will sue you at the law, and take away you coat, let him have your cloak also.
41. And whosoever shall compel you to go a mile, go with him twain (or two miles).
42 Give to him that asks you, and from him that would borrow of you turn not you away.
43. You have heard that it has been said, You shall love you neighbor, and hate your enemy.
44. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45. That you may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he makes his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
46. For if you love them which love you, what reward have you? Do not even the publicans the same? (Peter says it this way, if you suffer for things you deserve what reward is that, but if you suffer for doing good, then you have reward.)
47. And if you salute your brethren only, What do you MORE than others? Do not even the publicans so?
48. Be you therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.”
Please notice that these are all MORAL righteousness and NONE are ceremonial or ritual carnal worldly services to God.
Let us now go back to Colossians 2:16,17 and read these verse from a few different translations.
Colossians 2:17 from the New International Version.
“THEREFORE (or for this very REASON of all the handwriting of ORDINANCES being BLOTTED OUT and taken OUT of the WAY being nailed to the cross) do NOT let anyone judge you by (#1) what you eat or drink, or (#2) with regard to a religious festival, (#3) a New Moon celebration or (#4) a Sabbath day.
17. These are a SHADOW of the things that were to come; the REALITY, (or the TRUE) however, is found IN CHRIST.”
Colossians 2:16,17 from the New Century Version.
“16. So do not let anyone make rules (or impose rules) for you about (#1) eating and drinking or about (#2) a religious feast, (#3) a New Moon Festival, or (#4) a Sabbath day.
17. These things were like a SHADOW of what was to come. But what is TRUE and REAL has come and IS found IN Christ.”
Colossians 2:16,17 from the New Living Translation.
“So don’t let anyone condemn you for (#1) what you eat or drink, or(#2) for NOT celebrating certain holy days or (#3) new moon ceremonies or (#4) Sabbaths.
17. For these rules are only SHADOWS of the REALITY yet to come. And Christ HIMSELF IS that REALITY.”
In other words, Jesus Christ HIMSELF is OUR SABBATH REST the SAME as Jesus is OUR CIRCUMCISION and OUR Passover LAMB sacrificed ONCE and all for time.
Now in the New International translation we read the word “THEREFORE” and as I have taught you before any time you see the word “THEREFORE”, then find out why it is therefore. The word therefore means for this VERY REASON. So then, ask yourself WHAT very REASON?
#1. Look for the REASON of WHY we are not to let other Christians JUDGE us for NOT keeping the dietary laws written in the Old Testament under the OLD covenant.
#2. Look for the REASON of WHY we are are NOT to let other Christians JUDGE us for NOT keeping the YEARLY feast days written in the Old Testament under the OLD covenant.
#3. Look for the REASON of WHY we are NOT the let other Christians JUDGE us for NOT keeping the MONTHLY new moon days of observance written in the Old Testament under the OLD covenant.
#4. Look for the REASON of WHY we are NOT to let other Christians JUDGE us for NOT keeping the WEEKLY Sabbath days of resting in the manner of the Jews written in the Old Testament under the OLD covenant.
“THEREFORE (or for this VERY REASON) do not let anyone judge you (#1.) by what you eat or drink, or (#2.) with regard to a religious festival, (#3.) a New Moon celebration or (#4) a Sabbath day.”
Here again Colossians 2:16 from Gods Word translation.
“THEREFORE, let no one judge you because of what you eat or drink or about the observance of ANNUAL holy days, New Moon Festivals (the MONTHLY days of observance), or WEEKLY worship days.”
No matter what translation you read this verse from there are FOUR things listed, which we are NOT to allow any person the JUDGE us for NOT doing.
These FOUR things are:
#1. DIET, what we eat, or for NOT keeping the DIETARY laws under the OLD COVENANT.
#2. Feast days, speaking of NOT keeping the YEARLY SABBATHS feast days.
#3. The new moons or for NOT observing the MONTHLY festivals.
#4. SABBATH days, which are the WEEKLY Sabbaths that we are not to let any man condemn us for NOT keeping by resting from all work on the SEVENTH day of the week as the manner of the children of Israel were instructed in the Old Testament under the OLD covenant for them to keep throughout THEIR generations as a SIGN. Please read the study “THE SABBATH REST IS A SIGN!”.
WHY do I say that number 4 is speaking of the WEEKLY Sabbaths and not some OTHER Sabbath days? Because the YEARLY Sabbaths and the MONTHLY festivals of obligation are already mentioned in #2, and #3 of the FOUR DIFFERENT things listed. So it makes no logical sense to list FOUR things and then INTERPRET the fourth thing to be the same thing as the second thing.
In other words, it makes no logical sense to list four different things where one is concerning food and the other three things are concerning the keeping of DAYS or the esteeming of one day above another day, where we KNOW beyond any shadow of a doubt that Israel was given YEARLY feast days, MONTHLY new moon days, AND WEEKLY Sabbath days, which are three DIFFERENT things.
But seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping Christians dogmatically demand that the YEARLY feast days and the Sabbath days are ONE and the same days as thus THEY make only TWO days of obligation, the YEARLY Sabbaths and the MONTHLY new moon festivals.
So WHERE did the WEEKLY Sabbath days go using THEIR INTERPRETATION of Colossians 2:16,17?
You see dear child of God, when these three Sabbaths or holy days are listed in the Old Testament, no one ever tries to explain away that the Sabbath days, which clearly mean the WEEKLY Sabbath days by dogmatically demanding that the Sabbath days are the yearly and monthly Sabbaths and that they do NOT mean the WEEKLY Sabbath. But rather all Christians, even Saturday seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping Christians, AGREE that when the Sabbath days listed with the feast days and the new moons in the OLD Testament, then the Sabbath days are clearly understood to mean without fail the WEEKLY Sabbath days.
Please read the following Old Testament verses.
1 Chronicles 23:31
“And to offer all burnt sacrifices unto the LORD in the Sabbaths,(WEEKLY Sabbaths) in the new moons,(MONTHLY festival days) and on the set feasts,(the YEARLY feast day Sabbaths) by number, according to the order commanded unto them, continually before the LORD:”
2 Chronicles 2:4
“Behold, I build an house to the name of the LORD my God, to dedicate it to him, and to burn before him sweet incense, and for the continual show bread, and for the burnt offerings morning and evening, on the Sabbaths,(the WEEKLY Sabbath days) and on the new moons (the MONTHLY festival days), and on the solemn feasts (the YEARLY feast days) of the LORD our God. This is an ordinance for ever to ISRAEL.”
2 Chronicles 8:13
“Even after a certain rate every day, offering according to the commandment of Moses, on the Sabbaths (the WEEKLY Sabbath days), and on the new moons (the MONTHLY festival days), and on the solemn feasts (the YEARLY feast days), three times in the YEAR, even in the feast of unleavened bread, and in the feast of weeks, and in the feast of tabernacles.”
2 Chronicles 31:3
“He appointed also the king's portion of his substance for the burnt offerings, to wit, for the morning and evening burnt offerings, and the burnt offerings for the Sabbaths (the WEEKLY Sabbath days), and for the new moons (the MONTHLY festival days), and for the set feasts (the YEARLY feast days), as it is written in the law of the LORD.”
“For the show bread, and for the continual meat offering, and for the continual burnt offering, of the Sabbaths (the WEEKLY Sabbath days), of the new moons (the MONTHLY festival days), for the set feasts (the YEARLY feast days), and for the holy things, and for the sin offerings to make an atonement for Israel, and for all the work of the house of our God.”
“And it shall be the prince's part to give burnt offerings, and meat offerings, and drink offerings, in the feasts (the three YEARLY feast days), and in the new moons (the MONTHLY festival days), and in the Sabbaths (the WEEKLY Sabbath days), in all solemnities of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel.”
Hosea 2:11.“I will also cause all her mirth (or ELATION) to CEASE, her feast days (the YEARLY feast days), her new moons (the MONTHLY festivals), and her Sabbaths (the WEEKLY Sabbath days), and ALL her solemn feasts.”
Clearly Hosea 2:11 is a prophecy were Yahweh says that he will cause ALL the feast, Sabbaths and new moon festivals to CEASE.
And clearly the children of Israel were given THREE groups of DAYS that they are to keep throughout their generations. Israel is given to WEEKLY Sabbath DAYS, Israel is given the MONTHLY new moon DAYS, and Israel is given the YEARLY feast DAYS, ALL THREE groups of DAYS they are to keep throughout their generations.
So then, why do Sabbath keeping Christians INTERPRET these THREE DIFFERENT groups of holy DAYS listed together in Colossians 2:16,17 as just TWO groups of days of obligation, the YEARLY feast day Sabbaths and the MONTHLY new moons by combining the WEEKLY Sabbaths with the YEARLY Sabbaths DENYING that there are THREE DIFFERENT groups of of holy days given to the children of Israel to keep claiming by their own personal interpretation that the WEEKLY Sabbaths are the YEARLY Sabbaths, when the YEARLY feast days were ALREADY listed?
In other words, the REASON of WHY that Sabbath keeping Christians MUST deny that the Sabbaths listed in Colossians 2:16 are the WEEKLY Sabbath days is BECAUSE if the AGREE that the Sabbath days listed in all these verses are indeed speaking of the WEEKLY Sabbath days, then their whole dogmatic doctrine of keeping the SEVENTH DAY WEEKLY Sabbath is exposed as a FALSE teaching and thus exposing seventh day of the week Sabbath keepers to be MAKING a LIE.
So REPENT and come out from among those who are MAKING a LIE!
Now the New testament church was plagued by Judanizing Christians COMPELLING the Gentile Christians to keep ALL the LAW of Moses, the DIETARY laws, the law of circumcision and the KEEPING of these THREE groups of holy DAYS.
So then again, WHAT days where the children of Israel commanded to keep thoughout THEIR generations?
We ALL agree that the three YEARLY feast days were commanded to be kept by the children of ISRAEL throughout THEIR.
We ALL agree that the MONTHLY new moon festivals were kept by the children of ISRAEL throughout THEIR generations.
We ALL agree that the WEEKLY Sabbath days were commanded to be kept by the children of ISRAEL throughout THEIR generations.
So then, in the Old Testament under the OLD covenant there were THREE groups of DAYS that the children of Israel were commanded to keep throughout THEIR generations.
There were NO DAILY holy days to be kept EVERY day of the week so then ALL THREE groups of holy days of obligation are listed in Colossians 2:16 just as they are listed as THREE DIFFERENT groups of holy days to be kept in the OLD Testament where most every Christian AGREES that the Sabbath days group of holy days always referred to the WEEKLY Sabbath days and NOT the yearly Sabbath days.
But when we get into the NEW Testament under the NEW COVENANT, where we are CLEARLY and PLAINLY taught in SIMPLICITY for us a Christians to NOT let any man condemn us for NOT KEEPING the YEARLY feast days, the MONTHLY new moon festivals AND the WEEKLY Sabbaths, then the Saturday seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping Christians dogmatically demand that Sabbath days do NOT speak of the WEEKLY Sabbath, and must refer to the YEARLY Sabbaths, which again are ALREADY listed.
So then, WHO are the ones TWISTING the Scriptures here making them say what they NEED them to say?
Now if I am the one twisting the scriptures, then WHY did Paul even bother to teach us NOT to fuss or argue over keeping or esteeming one day above another day along with teaching us NOT to fuss or argue over EATING and NOT eating in Romans 14? And why was Paul so concerned that he preached the gospel in VAIN to those desiring to be brought under the BONDAGE of keeping DAYS months and years in Galatians chapter 4?
Keep in mind that in Colossians 2:16 FOUR things are listed specifically and within these FOUR different things listed there are TWO things, which are EATING and DAYS.
This is exactly what we see in Romans chapter 14 as well. We see EATING and DAYS being taught to us as what WE as Christians must do and not do.
Please read Romans 14:1-23.
“Him that is weak in the faith receive you, but NOT to doubtful disputations. (This means those strong in faith, who do NOT esteem any day above any other day of the week, month or year should RECEIVE those who are weak in faith, who do esteem a day above another day, BUT NOT disputing over the matter, as in, accepting their weak faith as being the truth to cause you to become weak as them to be brought under the yoke of bondage of keeping a day in order to be saved or keeping a day in order to receive eternal life in the world to come.)
2. For (or because) one believes that he may eat ALL things: another, who is WEAK, eats herbs.(Now please understand that these are NOT MY words calling the Christians who EAT the ones who are WEAK in FAITH. These are Paul's words, so do not get offended at ME for simply showing you what the Bible ITSELF teaches)
3. Let NOT him that eats (ALL things meant for food) despise him that eats NOT (to NOT despise Christians who eat NOT pork means to NOT treat them with HAUGHTY of prideful contempt as being unworthy of your superiority); and let NOT him which eats NOT JUDGE him that eats (In other words him or her who keeps all the dietary laws of the OLD covenant let them NOT JUDGE any Christian, who does NOT KEEP the dietary laws written in the Old Testament under the OLD covenant): FOR (or because) God has received him.
4. Who are YOU that judges another man's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Yea, he shall be held up: for God is able to make him stand. (In other words, God will make the strong in faith stand or receive the end of our salvation, eternal life in the world to come. This is the food part #1. of the FOUR different things listed in Colossians 2:16. Now Paul speaks on the remaining three parts of the groups of DAYS that Israel was commanded to keep throughout their generations by showing that SOME Christians were and are today esteeming a certain DAY above other days. In other words, one may esteem a certain day of days of the YEAR above all other days of the YEAR. One may esteem a certain day of the MONTH above all other days of the MONTH. And one may esteem a certain day of the WEEK above all other days of the week. And we are NOT to allow those who esteem a day above other days to JUDGE us for NOT esteeming ANY day above any other day.)
5. One man esteems one day ABOVE another (each YEARLY feast DAY is esteemed ABOVE other days of the year. Each MONTHLY festival DAY is esteemed ABOVE other days of the month AND each SEVENTH day of the week is esteemed by SOME Christians to be ABOVE every other day of the week. There were Christians in the New Testament doing this and there are Christians today doing this.): another esteems every day alike.(meaning that many or most Christians esteem every day of the year, month and week all the same where NO day is esteemed above any other day) Let every man be fully persuaded in his OWN mind. (In other words dear child of God OBEY these words of the NEW Testament, and do NOT try and force or compel YOUR PERSUASION on other Christians where this means BOTH ways. The weak in faith should not JUDGE the strong in faith, who do NOT esteem any day above another as a MUST be kept day. And the strong in faith should receive the weak in faith and allow God to teach them being patient knowing that God is ABLE to make them stand as well as to make you stand.)
6. He that regards the day, regards it unto the Lord; and he that regards not the day, to the Lord he does not regard it. He that eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he that eats not, to the Lord he eats not, and gives God thanks. (In other words, you eat what YOU are fully persuaded in your OWN mind to eat and give grace to others to eat what they KNOW that they are FREE to eat.)
7. For none of us lives to himself, and no man dies to himself.
8. For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. (In other words, FOOD profits nothing in the matter of receiving eternal life in the world to come and the keeping of DAYS profits nothing in the matter of receiving eternal life in the world to come.)
9. For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
10. But why do you JUDGE your brother? Or why do you set at nought your brother? (set at nought means to consider your brothers or sisters in the Lord as NOTHING, as in, they are not even saved just because they do not believe the exact same way that you do in the matter of what the EAT or do NOT EAT and on the matter of KEEPING DAYS or NOT keeping days above other days. Set at nought also means to cause to fall away or sin. If you COMPEL someone to do something they have DOUBTS about doing, then YOU cause them to SIN for anything NOT of FAITH is sin. So do NOT JUDGE one another) For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
11. For it is written, As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
12. So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
13. Let us NOT therefore JUDGE one another ANY MORE: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumbling block or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
14. I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is NOTHING unclean of itself (which by the CONTEXT we must assume that nothing here means NO kind of food is unclean of itself. Unclean here means forbidden by God to eat and if one eat he or she is sinning. Unclean does NOT mean a dirty filthy animal. Do NOT call unclean what God has CLEANSED. Please read the study “MUST WE KEEP THE DIETARY LAWS?” Paul teaches us in another place that we are free to even eat meat sacrificed to idols): but to him that esteems any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. (SOME Sabbath keeping Christians esteem worshiping God on SUNDAY to be a SIN and even the taking of the MARK of the beast, so the THEM Sunday is an UNCLEAN day to worship God upon and we who are strong in faith should not force or compel the weak in faith to do what THEY are fully persuaded in their OWN minds is sin or unclean. So to all my Sunday Christians I say give them grace and allow God to teach them by your STRONG FIRM faith, God's word and his Holy Spirit. And the same is true with DIET. We know that we are free to eat ANY kind of meat and even meat offered to idols, but we must not use our liberty in Jesus Christ to cause those who are fully persuaded in their OWN minds to follow all the dietary laws written in the Old Testament for Israel to follow under the OLD COVENANT.)
15. But if your brother be grieved with your meat, now walk you not charitably. Destroy not him with your meat, for whom Christ died. (Again we are NOT to try and FORCE our freedom to eat all kinds of meat upon the weak in faith and allow God to teach them while we are being patient to allow the seed of God's word to grow and God gives them increase in their faith. When you are invited to their house eat what they serve you and when you invite them to your house and you KNOW that they do NOT eat pork, then you FAST from eating pork that meal. This is NOT being a hypocrite for they KNOW that you do indeed eat pork, but rather it is being RESPECTFUL to their belief. You, who are strong in faith, are not sinning by what you eat or do not eat. But to the one who is fully persuaded in their OWN mind to NOT eat pork and they eat pork to show respect for you, then they are sinning, because they are fully persuaded in their OWN minds that it is a SIN to eat pork. So until the weak in faith are FULLY PERSUADED in their OWN minds they should not eat pork or anything that WAS called unclean in the Old Testament under the OLD covenant.)
16. Let not then your good be evil spoken of:
17. For the kingdom of God is NOT meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
18. For he that in these things serves Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men. (In other words, our focus should be on living Godly righteous lives, having peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, which are thing things acceptable to God. To say this another way, it is NOT acceptable to God to fuss and argue over what we should eat or not eat, and it is NOT acceptable to God to JUDGE a brother or sister in the Lord for NOT esteeming ANY day above another day or for NOT keeping the WEEKLY Sabbath DAY or any other feast day or day of obligation under the OLD covenant. And the STRONG in faith are instructed to NOT ALLOW this JUDGING of others to bring condemnation upon you. You cannot STOP anyone from JUDGING you, but you can stop the condemnation that they are trying to force on you by RESTING in Jesus as our Sabbath REST. And this is WHY I write these studies in God's word to help those, who are STRUGGLING in their faith. I do NOT go around trying the straighten every one out to believe exactly as I believe. But rather I simply share with my reader, who God leads to AMatterOfTruth.com, what God has shown to me that brings me PEACE and REST in Jesus ASSURING me that I am living a life PLEASING to God and his Son Jesus free of all condemnation brought about by the false teachings of man.)
19. Let us therefore follow after the things which make for PEACE, and things wherewith one may EDIFY another. (One of the meanings of following things that make for peace can mean to follow what brings YOU peace in your OWN mind, but also can mean to NOT fuss and argue over these things to cause DIVISIONS in the church. One of the meanings of edify is to charge up like a battery, to energize and build up their faith. Telling someone that they are not good enough is NOT edifying that person and many Sabbath keepers look down on anyone, who does not keep the Sabbath day as them or who do not follow all the dietary laws under the old covenant as them. So keep peace and edify one another.)
20. For (or because) meat destroys NOT the work of God. All things indeed are PURE; but it is evil for that man who eats with offense. (In other words, those who are strong in faith should NOT take pork and purposely walk up to Sabbath keeping Christians, who do NOT eat pork and boast of your liberty eating pork right in front of their face.)
21. It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby your brother stumbles, or is offended, or is made weak. (Again show some respect to your fellow brother and sister in the Lord even when they consider you to be an unsaved heathen just because you eat pork and you do NOT keep the Sabbath day of rest or any of the feast days.)
22. Have you FAITH? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he that condemns NOT himself in that thing which he allows. (The having our faith to our self before God again means that we are not to BOAST of our liberty to those, who are weak in faith and not that we should HIDE of faith keeping it a SECRET. We should let our light SHINE and NOT be ashamed to follow what God himself has shown us to follow.)
23. And he that DOUBTS is damned if he EAT, because he eats NOT of FAITH: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.”
This means to WAIT until you are FULLY PERSUADED by God's WORD and his Holy Spirit in your OWN mind before you eat pork and before you stop keeping the Sabbath day.
This is why I always point all my readers to the WORD of God so that they can see the truth for THEMSELVES directly from God's word. Meditate on God's word day and night or over and over in your mind. Prayerfully consider what I teach but ALWAYS search the word of God on your OWN allowing the Holy Spirit himself to teach you HIS truth to become FULLY PERSUADED in your OWN mind so you will not be tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine.
Now I had a dear brother in the Lord with whom I shared this passage of scripture and his comment to me was that these verse do NOT have the word “Sabbath” any where in them so they could mean ANYTHING.
I thought to myself. What??? Romans 14 could mean ANYTHING??? What are these Saturday seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping Christians thinking?
They are thinking that unless they can EXPLAIN AWAY these verses, then they will be exposed as MAKING a LIE!
These verse CLEARLY speak of CHRISTIANS, where SOME Christians are esteeming a DAY of the week above all other days of a week, and other Christians are NOT esteeming ANY DAY above other days of the week, but rather they are esteeming every day the SAME.
So what DAY of the week would Paul be speaking of here? Their birthday? Come on dear child of God how can you not see that the DAY here that some Christians are esteeming ABOVE other days is the Sabbath DAY, as in, ALL of the Sabbath days Yearly, monthly and WEEKLY Sabbath days.
We KNOW without a doubt that these words of Paul are speaking of ALL of the Sabbath days INCLUDING the WEEKLY Sabbath days for other Christians were NOT esteeming ANY DAY above any other day. And then Paul says right before he starts teaching about the DAYS, who are YOU to JUDGE a servant of God. Then right after Paul teaches about DAYS he says, Why do you JUDGE your brother? And let us NOT JUDGE one another any more!
All these words AGREE with what Paul says in Colossians chapter 2 verses 1 through 17.
So to DENY that Romans chapter 14 has nothing whatsoever to do with the WEEKLY Sabbath day where SOME Christians were indeed observing the WEEKLY Sabbath day in the days of Paul and other Christians were NOT keeping the SEVENTH day of the week above any other day of the week in the days of Paul is to ALSO DENY any even remote evidence that ANY Christians KEPT the Sabbath day AS the JEWS in the New Testament church.
The clear, plain, and simple truth is the SOME Christians were keeping the Sabbath day as the Jews under the OLD covenant and SOME Christians were NOT keeping ANY day of the week by esteeming it above any other day of the week.
And the clear FACT is that Paul taught AGAINST the keeping of ANY days whether they be yearly, monthly or WEEKLY, because ALL the keeping of ANY and ALL DAYS was NAILED to the CROSS.
So then, the SHADOWS of the Old Testament where the ORDINANCES of ALL of the ceremonial laws that were nailed to the cross and God's word of TRUTH in the NEW Testament under the NEW covenant teaches us NOT to all any man to JUDGE us for NOT keeping any Sabbath day whether the be the YEARLY feast days, the MONTHLY new moon days or the WEEKLY Sabbath days.
Now another argument brought forth by some Saturday Sabbath keeping Christians is that there is NO DRAMATIC evidence of a change in the law taking place.
Then when we say what about the CROSS!
They say not dramatic like the cross, but a DRAMATIC ANNOUNCEMENT like on mount Sinai when God spoke from heaven to give his TEN commandments.
Well God did DRAMATICALLY ANNOUNCE from out of a CLOUD up ON a high MOUNTAIN where Jesus was TRANSFIGURED before three of his disciples, Peter, James, and John..
Please read Mark 9:2-10.
“And after six days Jesus took with him Peter, and James, and John, and led them up into an HIGH MOUNTAIN apart by themselves: and he was TRANSFIGURED before them.
3. And his raiment became SHINING (like the face of Moses shown) shining, exceeding white as snow; so as no fuller on earth can white them.
4. And there appeared unto them Elias with Moses: and they were talking with Jesus.
5. And Peter answered and said to Jesus, Master, it is good for us to be here: and let us make three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
6. For he wist not what to say; for they were sore afraid.
7. And there was a CLOUD that overshadowed them: and a VOICE came out of the CLOUD, saying, This is my beloved Son: HEAR HIM. (Now I do not want to be rude or offend anyone, but what part of Yahweh's COMMAND to hear you HIM did you not understand dear child of God? Now if you want to disobey this COMMANDMENT of Almighty God Yahweh, then that is between you and God, but as for ME I am going to obey the words of Jesus AND Almighty God the Father under the NEW COVENANT. And NO where in the NEW Testament under the NEW covenant does the SON OF God nor his disciples teach us to REST on ANY DAY of the WEEK, MONTH or YEAR.)
8. And suddenly, when they had looked round about, they saw no man any more, save Jesus only with themselves.
9. And as they came down from the mountain, he charged them that they should tell no man what things they had seen, till the Son of man were risen from the dead.
10. And they kept that saying with themselves, questioning one with another what the rising from the dead should mean.”
Now let us read this account in the gospel of Matthew where it is a little more DRAMATIC.
Please read Matthew 17:1-9.
“And after six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, and brought them up into an HIGH MOUNTAIN apart,
2. And was TRANSFIGURED before them: and his FACE did SHINE as the sun (just like the FACE of Moses on mount Sinai), and his raiment was white as the LIGHT.
3. And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elijah talking with him.
4. Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if you will, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah.
5. While he yet spoke, behold, a BRIGHT CLOUD overshadowed them: and behold a VOICE out of the CLOUD, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; HEAR YOU HIM. (So Almighty God Yahweh's NEW commandment is for us to HEAR the words and teachings and commandments of his SON Jesus.)
6. And when the disciples HEARD it (the VOICE of Almighty God), they FELL on their FACE and were SORE AFRAID (Just like the children of Israel at mount Sinai or mount Horeb).
7. And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid.
8. And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus ONLY. (all the Old Testament prophets disappeared and ONLY Jesus remained!)
9. And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.”
When you understand that God gave the children of Israel the keeping of the Sabbath day as a SIGN for them to REMEMBER that it was Yahweh, who DELIVERED them for their BONDAGE of SLAVERY, and you understand that he TAUGHT them how to REST on the seventh day BEFORE God appeared to Moses on mount Sinai to given ALL rest of the TEN commandments, then you can see that the FOURTH commandment was the ONLY one of the TEN commandments that was given as a SIGN of this FIRST covenant.
The fourth command was given FIRST and SEPARATELY from the other NINE commandments. God gave the FOURTH commandment FIRST as a TEST to see if the children of Israel would obey his commandments BEFORE God gave then the other NINE commandments. And then God place the Sabbath right in the CENTER of ten commandments
Jesus is the SIGN of the NEW covenant.
God promised Israel in his word in Jeremiah 31:31,32 that he would make a NEW covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. The house of Israel speaks of the CHILDREN of ISRAEL and the house of JUDAH speaks of the CHURCH being IN Jesus who descended from the house or tribe of JUDAH.
God promised or PROPHESIED in Isaiah 42:14 that he would give his ANOINTED ONE as a COVENANT to his people and we know that this prophesy if speaking of God's SON Jesus, who is the SIGN of the NEW covenant,
God prophesied in Isaiah that he would give the children of Israel a SIGN saying behold a VIRGIN shall conceive and bear a SON.
Please read Isaiah 7:14.
“Therefore the Lord HIMSELF shall give you a SIGN; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a SON, and shall call his name Immanuel.”
This is my BELOVED SON HEAR YOU HIM!
Please read the LITERAL translation of Isaiah 55:11 and the last part of verse 13.
“And HE IS BECOMING word of me which HE is going from MOUTH of me NOT to me HE is returning empty but rather HE does what I desire and HE prospers in which I sent HIM...
...And HE BECOMES to Yahweh for a NAME, for an EVERLASTING SIGN he shall not be cut off.”
But most of Israel took Yahweh's NAME in VAIN and the NAME of Jesus or Yeshua did NO profit them, because they did NOT BELIEVE and TRUST on the NAME of Jesus to be saved. They did not REST in the TRUTH that all they needed to be saved was FAITH in the SON of God.
Jesus himself said that he was the ONLY SIGN to be given to Israel. Please read Luke 11:29,30.
“And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, BUT the SIGN of Jonas the prophet.
30. For AS Jonas was a SIGN unto the Ninevites, so shall ALSO the Son of man be to this generation.”
Jesus goes on to say that the men of Nineveh shall rise up or be resurrected on the day of judgment with Israel and condemn them, because they repented at the preaching of Jonah and that he himself was greater than the prophet Jonah.
Then in Matthew 12:38-41 Jesus says,
“Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.
39. But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, BUT the SIGN of the prophet Jonas:
40. For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
41. The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.”
So then, the SIGN of the first or OLD covenant was the FOURTH commandment where the children of Israel were given PHYSICAL REST where they RESTED on the seventh day of the week,
And the SIGN of the NEW covenant is our SPIRITUAL REST where we REST in Jesus.
Please read Hebrews 3:10-19 and Hebrews 4:1-16.
“Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do always err in their heart; and they have NOT known my ways.
11. So I swore in my wrath, They shall NOT enter into my REST. (The generation of the children of Israel that God swore that they would not enter into his rest was the generation in the wilderness who did NOT BELIEVE God's word to go and possess the land. And the REMNANT of Israel, because of their UNBELIEF to ENTER INTO their TRUE REST by believing that Jesus is the Christ, the SON OF the living God NOW or TODAY in this present world, will NOT be given the promise REST of receiving ETERNAL LIFE in the world to come. ONLY Christians who have ENTERED into the NEW covenant with God, whether the be Jewish Christians or Gentile Christians will be given eternal life in the world to come whereby our complete rest will be receive have the guarantee that the second death will not have any power over us. We have REST and ASSURANCE now in this life, but no guarantee that we will not be deceived by the deceitfulness of sin to walk away from a so great a salvation. Please read the study “IS ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED BIBLICAL?”)
12. Take HEED, brethren (speaking to true born again Christians), lest there be in ANY of YOU an evil heart of unbelief, in DEPARTING from the living God.
13. But exhort one another daily, while it is called Today; lest (or for fear that) ANY of YOU be hardened through the DECEITFULNESS of sin.
14. For we are made partakers of Christ, IF we HOLD the beginning of our confidence steadfast unto the END;
15. While it is said, TODAY if you will hear HIS voice (The GOSPEL of Jesus Christ), harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
16. For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit NOT ALL that came out of Egypt by Moses.(meaning that all came out of the land of Egypt, but not all ENTER into the REST God promised them to possess in the land of Canaan, which most agree is a type, figure of shadow pointing to heaven, which in truth is the SEVENTH 1000 year long day of the Lord, the millennium, the 1000 year reign of Jesus.)
17. But with whom was he grieved forty years? Was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness? (HOW did they sin? They could have went straight into the promise land if they would have BELIEVED God's word to go and POSSESS the land. But only two believed who alone with the children and their children's children of the unbelieving where granted to enter into the land of promise a land flowing with milk and honey.)
18. And to whom swore he that they should NOT enter into his REST, but to them that believed NOT?
19. So we see that they could NOT enter in because of UNBELIEF.
1. Let US THEREFORE fear, lest (or for fear that), a promise being left us of entering into his REST, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2. For unto us was the gospel preached (the word gospel means good news so it should not understood that Israel under the OLD coven heard the gospel OF Jesus Christ seeing Jesus was not yet born), as well as unto them: but the WORD preached (meaning the words of good news of entering into and possessing a land flowing with milk and honey) did NOT profit them, NOT being mixed with FAITH in them that heard it.
3. For we which HAVE believed DO ENTER into REST , as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. (This is speaking of the REMNANT of Israel and those of the nations left alive at the second coming of Jesus entering into the SEVENTH day of the Lord in their MORTAL bodies to be taught of the Lord from generation to generation. The only feast day that will be kept during this 1000 year reign of Jesus will be the feast of tabernacles. But like now we as Christians who KNOW the TRUE meaning of this feast will not keep the feast but rather we will teach Israel and those left of the nations the TRUE meaning of all the SHADOWS of written in the Old Testament including the SHADOW of the WEEKLY Sabbath day rest.)
4. For he spoke in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
5. And in this place again, IF they shall enter into my rest. (meaning that not all Jews NOR all Gentiles will enter into rest. God's rest is his SON Jesus and all who ENTER INTO his REST as their DELIVERER shall be given eternal life in the world to come to rest assure that the second death will have no power over them.)
6. Seeing therefore it remains that SOME must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
7. Again, he limits a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, Today if you will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8. For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. (speaking of TODAY if they will BELIEVE the voice or the WORDS of Jesus. TODAY is the DAY of salvation.)
9. There remains therefore a REST to the people of God. (This is speaking of the children of Israel, the JEWS. But the Jews must first HEAR and BELIEVE the voice of Jesus TODAY before they die or before Jesus returns if they want to ENTER INTO his REST. And now WE are the voice of Jesus.)
10. For he that IS ENTERED INTO REST, he also has CEASED from his OWN works, as God did from his. (this does NOT mean PHYSICAL work but rather means our OWN works of righteous being done in our OWN strength wherein there is boasting. We as Christians ARE entered into rest to become HIS workmanship resting from our OWN works of righteousness.)
11. Let us labor therefore to enter into THAT rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. (ONE meaning of this verse is the labor of overcoming the temptations of the enemy to break the MORAL laws of God, which are LISTED and TAUGHT in the NEW Testament and summed up as being kept by walking in LOVE toward one another, BUT NOT overcoming sin in our OWN strength as our OUR WORK. You cannot over come sin in your OWN strength. You must BELIEVE that you can overcome any and all sin all the time before you will ever overcome sin in your life. But this is NOT the ONLY path of walking in righteous. Our work as Christians is to BELIEVE that each and every time we confess our sins that he is FAITHFUL to forgive us of all our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Now some may argue that this is NOT work. Then for you I would say give God thanks for his grace that makes believing God so EASY for you, because not ALL Christian have it so EASY. Some STRUGGLE every day to believe that God still loves them and to them believing is indeed WORK for them just to REST and to BELIEVE and trust that God is ALWAYS faithful to forgive them of all the sins no matter how many times they keep committing the same sin over and over. For you who are laboring in this area pleas read the study “HOW YOU CAN LIVE YOUR LIFE FREE FROM SIN!”. So then we labor to not be in UNBELIEF so we can have REST, have peace, and have full assurance that we ARE SAVED and we ARE forgiven and that God will never leave nor forsakes us.
Now this verse ALSO has another meaning as well. The LITERAL meaning of this verse says that we should be diligent to be entering into THAT CEASING. What ceasing? The CEASING described in the above verse, the CEASING from our OWN works of righteousness lest WE fall after the same example of UNBELIEF.
Both meanings agree with the previous verse that we HAVE ALREADY ENTERED INTO REST past tense by RESTING in Jesus, and not some future rest. Now the SEVENTH day is without a doubt our FULL COMPLETED REST where the second death will have NO power over us, which is yet future, but no man shall ENTER that SEVENTH 1000 year long day of the Lord to REST unless they ENTER into the DOOR of that rest NOW, TODAY, in this present world.
God wants us to be HIS work and NOT our OWN work. So this is why it is so HARD to stop sinning. With man it is IMPOSSIBLE, but WITH God all things are possible. So start RESTING in your FAITH in Jesus that HE is the author AND the FINISHER of your faith.)
12. FOR (or BECAUSE) the word of God is quick (meaning that the word of God is alive or makes alive), and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (our soul and spirit are connected and they communicate to eat other. Our soul is our mind, our conscious, our thoughts and our spirit is our heart, our NEW inner man who LOVES God and hates unrighteousness and these two are fighting against each other. So the writer here in this verse is teaching us about a weapon we have in Jesus to win this fight of warring in us through FAITH in God's promises in his word. God knows our thought and our true INTENTS of our NEW HEART created in RIGHTEOUSNESS that hate sin and hates when our weaker nature of the flesh wins a battle in our minds to fulfill it's lust. God knows that our flesh hate the things of God and that our heart loves righteousness.)
13. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
14. Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
15. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
16. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need”
We ENTER into REST being in Jesus. Jesus is the DOOR of the ENTRANCE for his sheep to find PASTURE. We know that we are not literal sheep so why should pasture be literal pasture. What is pasture to sheep? What is a shepherd to sheep? Our chief shepherd leads us to food to eat to make us strong. Our chief shepherd protects us from the wolves.
The our chief shepherd Jesus gives REST to his sheep, who lie down having no fear of wolves, knowing that their shepherd is watching over them. The JEWS under the FIRST of OLD covenant had no assurance of being being pleasing to God. No religion in the entire world gives their followers this kind of REST or peace and assurance that their God LOVES them. Even some Christian groups like the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses wonder if they are being good enough to receive eternal life. And I have heard some testimonies of those, who have come out of seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping churches, and how they wondered if the were keeping the Seventh day correctly and whether or not they were pleasing God.
So we have to remember that at the TIME, which this GOSPEL of peace was FIRST preached, that is was preached to the JEWS, who were still yet UNDER the OLD covenant. They had not yet BELIEVED the gospel when Jesus said come unto ME and I will give you REST.
Please read Matthew 11:28-30.
“Come unto me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you REST. (Now we as Christians use this verse to call Gentiles who are heavy laden with them sins and are crying out to God wanting to change how they live, but Jesus was speaking to the JEWS who were heavy laden with the LAW of Moses which NONE of their fathers nor even the disciples of Jesus could bear.)
29. Take MY yoke upon you, and LEARN of ME; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and you shall find REST unto your SOULS. (Our SOUL here speaks of our minds wherein is our conscious. Why are you troubled O my soul?Hope you O my soul in the Lord! Psalm 42:5,6. Only IN Jesus do any find this so great of TRUE REST having NO CONDEMNATION to our mind, our conscience, our soul. The JEWS when they kept the Sabbath wondered if they were keeping it correctly and Saturday Sabbath keeping Christians today wonder as well if they are keeping the Sabbath day correctly. Now if you are a seventh day of the week Sabbath keeper and you are HONEST with yourself and with God, then you know that I speak the TRUTH, when I say that many of you wonder or have doubts at times if you are pleasing God. You have no REST to your SOUL that you are CORRECTLY keeping the Sabbath day. And the reason why is that you are not truly and fully RESTING in Jesus as your SPIRITUAL Sabbath REST. You have FORGOTTEN that Jesus is your RESTING place and that he is not only the author of our faith, but also the FINISHER of our faith as well. You have LEFT your FIRST LOVE. Repent and do the FIRST WORKS of FAITH!)
30. For MY yoke is EASY, and my burden is light.”
Now please read Jeremiah 50:6.
“My people have been lost sheep: THEIR shepherds have CAUSED them to GO ASTRAY, they have turned them away on the mountains: they have gone from mountain to hill, they have FORGOTTEN their RESTING PLACE.”
The word translated as “forgotten” in Jeremiah 50:6 literally means that Israel did not pay ATTENTION to SEE their TRUE Sabbath REST being their Messiah, who died on the cross to bring them OUT of the BONDAGE of SIN. Israel did not READ the SIGN of the Sabbath pointing to JESUS. Their shepherds, the teachers of the law, led many of Israel ASTRAY to MISS their SIGN of the NEW covenant that God had promised he would make with them.
Now SOME shepherds in the church today are doing the same thing by leading some dear children of God ASTRAY by making a LIE for them to become ENTANGLE under the YOKE of BONDAGE by being brought under the LAW of Moses where one such law WAS the keeping of the fourth commandment to PHYSICALLY rest on a PHYSICAL day of the week, which was given only to the CHILDREN of Israel for THEM to keep throughout THEIR generations as a SIGN.
Now I have been accused by some Saturday Sabbath keeping Christians that I am the one MAKING a LIE, but if you read all the studies I have written on this subject I expose LIE after LIE after LIE made by Saturday seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping churches.
So I implore you my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ, to read and study the word of God for YOURSELF to see if your church denominational “shepherd” is leading you ASTRAY by making a lie.
Please read Revelation 22:14,15.
“Blessed are they that DO his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
15. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whore mongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever LOVES and MAKE a LIE.”
This last phrase in the New International Reader translations reads,
“...and everyone who loves doing what is false is outside too.”
The New international version says,
“...everyone who loves practicing falsehood.”
The New King James Version says,
“...and whoever loves and practices a LIE.”
The New Living translation says,
“...and all who love to live a LIE.”
If you have ever paid attention to some Saturday Sabbath keeping teachings then you will know how the worship and idolize the seventh day of the week. They LOVE to BOAST about keeping the SEVENTH day of the week as the ONLY day that God accepts as a true day of worship and how no other day of the week is NOT acceptable to God. Even some churches bear the name SEVENTH DAY.
Now a person MAY not KNOW that the life they are LIVING is a LIE or FALSEHOOD.
Hindus do not KNOW that they are living and practicing a FALSEHOOD or LIE of the enemy. They are being DECEIVED by the lies of the enemy Satan the Devil.
So all I am saying is for YOU to search the word of God daily for YOURSELF, to see if the life you are living is a FALSEHOOD or a deception from the enemy.
In Galatians 4 Paul says to the Christians in Galatia that he is afraid for them, because they were observing or SCRUTINIZING the Jewish feast days and the Sabbath days desiring to KEEP them as the Jews. This is like Christians today who have friends that are Saturday Sabbath keeping Christians coming to them showing us why the feel that WE should keep the FOURTH commandments showing from God's word that we clearly MUST keep the other NINE commandments. Then they ask why then do we not keep the FOURTH commandment??? So then, we begin to scrutinize third QUESTION and begin WANTING to please God.
The problem is that SOME Christians do not know how to study the Bible for themselves and they hear ONLY the ONE side, the side of Saturday Sabbath keeping Christians. And before long they are attending seven day of the week Sabbath keeping church denomination. Then more and more and more law of Moses is SUGGESTED to be kept and PEER pressure causes them to begin keeping the dietary laws, then the feast days, and so forth depending on WHICH Sabbath keeping church they attend.
But thanks be to God MANY are coming OUT of these seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping churches to find PEACE and FREEDOM in Jesus Christ as their TRUE Sabbath REST looking toward the TRUE seventh 1000 year long day of Yahweh's rest in the world to come.
Please read Galatians 4:8-12.
“Howbeit then, when you knew not God, you did service unto them which by nature are no gods. (This is speaking of Gentile Christians, who BEFORE they became believers they did NOT know God and thus they died rudimentary worldly service to false gods doing ceremonial rituals to idols)
9. But NOW, after that you have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn you again to the weak and beggarly elements, where unto you desire again to be in bondage? (This is like the old saying, OUT of the frying pan and INTO the FIRE, meaning that they were delivered from ONE bondage of doing vain ceremonial services to false gods and now they are desiring AGAIN to be in ANOTHER different BONDAGE of keeping the RUDIMENTS of the worldly services given to the children of Israel to keep throughout their generations.)
10. You OBSERVE days, (the WEEKLY Sabbath days) and months,(the MONTHLY new moon festivals) and times,(from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday) and years. ( the YEARLY feast days. One of the meanings of this Greek word translated as “observe” here mean the SCRUTINIZE or to EXAMINE CLOSELY. It also means to KEEP these DAYS)
11. I am AFRAID of you (or deeply concerned over you), lest I have bestowed upon you labor in VAIN.
12. Brethren, I beseech you, be as I am; for I am as you are: you have not injured me at all.”
Now some Saturday Sabbath keeping Christians argue that this passage of Scripture has nothing whatsoever to do with the Old Testament law of God, but rather that the DAYS these Gentile Christians desired again to keep where PAGAN days.
Hogwash! Can you not see dear child of God that they MUST explain AWAY these verses lest THEY expose THEMSELVES as the ones MAKING a LIE. So again this is yet another LIE made by some seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping Christians to cover their other LIES, because the CONTEXT clearly teaches us that Paul was speaking about the LAW.
Please read Galatians 4:21-31.
“Tell me, you that desire to be UNDER the LAW (speaking of the CEREMONIAL law and the law contained in ORDINANCES), do you not hear the LAW?
22. For it is WRITTEN, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bond maid, the other by a free woman.
23. But he who was of the bond woman was born after the flesh; but he of the free woman was by promise.
24. Which things are an allegory (or a SHADOW): for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which genders to bondage, which is Agar.
25. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia (the FIRST covenant made with the CHILDREN of ISRAEL), and answers to Jerusalem which NOW IS, and is in bondage with her children.
26. But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
27. For it is written, Rejoice, you barren that bears not; break forth and cry, you that travail not: for the desolate has many more children than she which has an husband.
28. Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
29. But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
30. Nevertheless what says the scripture? Cast out the bond woman and her son: for the son of the bond woman shall NOT be heir WITH the son of the free woman.
31. So then, brethren, we are NOT children of the bond woman, but of the free.”
Please read all the studies linked within this study and all the studies linked below. This study was just the TIP of the iceberg of exposing the ERRORS of interpretation made by the Saturday seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping churches.
Also I would implore you to go on YouTube and listen to all the TESTIMONIES of Seventh Day Adventist and other Sabbath keeping Christians, who have left their Sabbath keeping church denominations to find REST in Jesus.
Here are a few LINKS to get you started.
Thanks for reading and may God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God. Below are some quotes from early church writers that prove the early church do not keep the seventh day of the week.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
Return to homepage
Some CLAIM the the early church kept the Sabbath as the Jews, but I assure you that the early first century church were accustomed to gathering together BEFORE the light of day break on the FIRST day of the week that THEY called the Lord's day.
Here is a NON BIAS historical account found in a letter from Pliny the Younger to Trojan concerning the Christians.
Pliny was a Roman who persecuted and killed Christians, so again this is a historical NON BIAS account of WHEN Christians gathered together.
Here is what Pliny says in his letter to Trajan. The EMPHASIS and comments are mine:
“That they were WONT (or as they were ACCUSTOMED and USED to do, or in the HABIT of doing), on a STATED day (or on a CERTAIN preset day), to meet together BEFORE IT WAS LIGHT, and to sing a hymn to Christ, as to a god, alternately; and to oblige themselves by a sacrament [or oath], not to do anything that was ill: but that they would commit no theft, or pilfering, or adultery; that they would not break their promises, or deny what was deposited with them, when it was required back again; after which it was their CUSTOM to depart, AND to meet AGAIN at a common but innocent meal,(so after the hard worship service early morning beginning before day light they would depart and they come back together later that same to to share a common simple meal together, and most likely break bread together as other early church writers give more detail) which they had left off upon that edict which I published at your command, and wherein I had forbidden any such conventicles (or religious meetings).”
Below are some quotes of early church writers that clearly teach us that the early church did NOT keep the Sabbath day, as in, on SATURDAY, the 7th day of the week, but rather the early church throughout history from it's beginning worshiped God on SUNDAY the FIRST day of the week, which is sometimes referred to as the EIGHTH day of the week or the day AFTER the Sabbath day, or the LORD'S DAY.
(The emphasis is mine in these quotes given below):
The date is given first and the source is given at the end.
Quote number #:
#1. 90 AD DIDACHE:
"Christian Assembly on the Lord's Day:
1. But every Lord's day do ye gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure.
2. But let no one that is at variance with his fellow come together with you, until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be profaned.
3. For this is that which was spoken by the Lord: In every place and time offer to me a pure sacrifice; for I am a great King, saith the Lord, and my name is wonderful among the nations." (Didache: The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles, Chapter XIV)
#2. 100 AD BARNABAS:
"We keep the eighth day [Sunday] with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead" (The Epistle of Barnabas, 100 AD 15:6-8).
#3. 100 AD BARNABAS:
Moreover God says to the Jews, 'Your new moons and Sabbaths I cannot endure.' You see how he says, 'The present Sabbaths are not acceptable to me, but the Sabbath which I have made in which, when I have rested [heaven: Heb 4] from all things, I will make the beginning of the eighth day which is the beginning of another world.' Wherefore we Christians keep the eighth day for joy, on which also Jesus arose from the dead and when he appeared ascended into heaven. (15:8f, The Epistle of Barnabas, 100 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , vol. 1, pg. 147)
#4. 110 AD Pliny:
They were in the habit of meeting on a certain fixed day before it was light, when they sang in alternate verses a hymn to Christ, as to a god, and bound themselves by a solemn oath not to (do) any wicked deeds, never to commit any fraud, theft, or adultery, never to falsify their word, nor deny a trust when they should be called upon to deliver it up; after which it was their custom to separate, and then reassemble to partake of good food—but food of an ordinary and innocent kind. (About three years after the death of Ignatius in 250, an important official communication was sent from one Pliny to Trajan the Roman emperor. Pliny, the Roman governor of Bithynia, wrote of the Christians who had been congregating there probably from at least A.D. 62 onwards. In this remarkable it is explicitly stated that these early Christians observed the substance of most of the Ten Commandments, and it is implied that they observed all ten as far as they were able to do so. As far as they were able, for as most of the early Christians were of slave stock or from other lower classes'-, and those who had heathen masters or employers—the vast majority—would be forced to work on THEIR day of rest, which was unfortunately an official working day throughout the empires' until Constantine's "Sabbath" Edict in 321 A.D. gave them some measure of public protection. Hence one reads that after meeting "on a certain FIXED day before it was light", the first century Bithynian Christians had "to separate"—many of them having to labour for their masters and/or employers from dawn to dusk—"and then reassemble to partake of . . . food". The "certain fixed day" [stato die"'] on which the Christians met, is regarded by Seventh-day Adventists as Saturday'-. Certainly the expression would seem to indicate a regular day of meeting, probably each week. But Sunday is FAR more likely to have been the "certain fixed day" than Saturday. For if Pliny had been referring to the old Saturday Sabbath, as a Roman he would doubtless have referred to the "later" meeting first and only then to the morning meeting on the day after the "certain fixed day", seeing that the old Saturday Sabbath was demarcated from the evening of one day to the evening of the following day. But Pliny makes no such reference. Instead, he mentions that the pre-dawn meeting took place first—and only after wards the later meeting; and that both meetings took place on the SAME "certain fixed day". This rather points to the Roman (and—more importantly!—New Testament) midnight to midnight demarcation of modern Sunday-keepers than to the evening to evening demarcation of the Jews and the Seventh-day Adventists. (The Covenantial Sabbath, Francis Nigel Lee, Pg 242)
Also I myself will further add to the comment of the writer above that mere common sense plainly teaches us that Pliny was clearly speaking of SUNDAY, because the LAW that Constantine passed was not to mandate work on SUNDAY so that these Christians could worship God on SUNDAY. So the CLAIM by the Seventh Day Advent church that the fixed day of worship for Christians was a Saturday is FALSE. Other wise Constantine would have made it a law the employers allowed Christians off for work on a Saturday rather than on a Sunday.
This PROVES beyond any shadow of a doubt that the Christians were ALREADY worshiping God on SUNDAY the FIRST DAY of the week from the very beginning of the church on the day of Pentecost. The truth of the matter is that Constantine only made it easier for Christians to worship God on Sunday without being persecuted by their employers or owners by passing the EDICT making it a LAW to force heathen employers to let their employees have at least some time off from work so that they could worship God on SUNDAY.
Every Sabbath keeper will AGREE that Constantine's "SABBATH" is referring to SUNDAY as the day of the week and NOT as Saturday being the REST for Christians. Again all the Constantine did was to pass a law making it EASIER fro Christian to worship on the DAY that they had ALREADY been worshiping on since the very beginning at the DAY of PENTECOST, which is on SUNDAY the FIRST day of the week that Christian called the LORD'S day the day our Lord rose from the grave.
Open your EYES dear child of God and read what these early church writings are teaching us about the EARLIEST believers as to which day the early church worshiped God. SUNDAY has ALWAYS been the Sabbath or the day of REST of the early church and the church throughout it's entire history.
#5. 150 AD EPISTLE OF THE APOSTLES:
- I [Christ] have come into being on the eighth day which is the day of the Lord. (18)
#6. 150 AD JUSTIN:
"He then speaks of those Gentiles, namely us, who in every place offer sacrifices to Him, i.e., the bread of the Eucharist, and also the cup of the Eucharist, affirming both that we glorify His name, and that you profane [it]. The command of circumcision, again, bidding [them] always circumcise the children on the eighth day, was a type of the true circumcision, by which we are circumcised from deceit and iniquity through Him who rose from the dead on the first day AFTER the Sabbath, [namely through] our Lord Jesus Christ. For the first day after the Sabbath, remaining the first of all the days, is called, however, the eighth, according to the number of all the days of the cycle, and [yet] remains the first.". (Justin, Dialogue 41:4)
#7. 150 AD JUSTIN:
...those who have persecuted and do persecute Christ, if they do not repent, shall not inherit anything on the holy mountain. But the Gentiles, who have believed on Him, and have repented of the sins which they have committed, they shall receive the inheritance along with the patriarchs and the prophets, and the just men who are descended from Jacob, even although theyneither keep the Sabbath, nor are circumcised, nor observe the feasts. Assuredly they shall receive the holy inheritance of God. (Dialogue With Trypho the Jew, 150-165 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , vol. 1, page 207)
#8. 150 AD JUSTIN:
But if we do not admit this, we shall be liable to fall into foolish opinion, as if it were not the same God who existed in the times of Enoch and all the rest, who neither were circumcised after the flesh, nor observed Sabbaths, nor any other rites, seeing that Moses enjoined such observances... For if there was no need of circumcision before Abraham, or of the observance of Sabbaths, of feasts and sacrifices, before Moses; no more need is there of them now, after that, according to the will of God, Jesus Christ the Son of God has been born without sin, of a virgin sprung from the stock of Abraham. (Dialogue With Trypho the Jew, 150-165 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , vol. 1, page 206)
#9. 150 AD JUSTIN:
Moreover, all those righteous men already mentioned [after mentioning Adam. Abel, Enoch, Lot, Noah, Melchizedek, and Abraham], though they kept no Sabbaths, were pleasing to God; and after them Abraham with all his descendants until Moses... And you [fleshly Jews] were commanded to keep Sabbaths, that you might retain the memorial of God. For His word makes this announcement, saying, "That you may know that I am God who redeemed you." (Dialogue With Trypho the Jew, 150-165 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , vol. 1, page 204)
#10. 150 AD JUSTIN:
There is no other thing for which you blame us, my friends, is there than this? That we do not live according to the Law, nor, are we circumcised in the flesh as your forefathers, nor do we observe the Sabbath as you do. (Dialogue with Trypho 10:1. In verse 3 the Jew Trypho acknowledges that Christians 'do not keep the Sabbath.')
#11. 155 AD Justin Martyr:
"[W]e too would observe the fleshly circumcision, and the Sabbaths, and in short all the feasts, if we did not know for what REASON they were enjoined [on] you--namely, on account of your transgressions and the hardness of your heart. . . . [H]ow is it, Trypho, that we would not observethose rites which do not harm us--I speak of fleshly circumcision AND Sabbaths AND feasts? . . . God enjoined you [Jews] to keep the Sabbath,and impose on you other precepts for a sign, as I have already said, on account of your unrighteousness and that of your fathers" (Dialogue with Trypho the Jew 18, 21).
#12. 180 AD ACTS OF PETER:
- Paul had often contended with the Jewish teachers and had confuted them, saying 'it is Christ on whom your fathers laid hands. He abolished their Sabbath and fasts and festivals and circumcision.' (1: I)-2
#13. 180 AD GOSPEL OF PETER:
Early in the morning when (the Sabbath dawned, a multitude from Jerusalem and the surrounding country came to see the scaled sepulchre. In the night in which the Lord's day dawned, while the soldiers in pairs for each watch were keeping guard, a great voice came from heaven. [There follows an account of the resurrection. Early in the morning of the Lord's day Mary Magdalene, a disciple of the Lord .... came to the sepulchre. (9:34f.; 12:50f.)
#14. 190 AD CLEMENT OF ALEXANDRIA:
(in commenting on each of the Ten Commandments and their Christian meaning:) The seventh day is proclaimed a day of rest, PREPARING by abstention from evil FOR the Primal day, our TRUE rest. (Ibid. VII. xvi. 138.1)
I will add that the meaning of the word "Primal" means an "ARCHETYPAL", which means an original TYPE pointing to the TRUE. So this early church writer is saying what Paul teaches us in scripture that the things in the OLD Testament are TYPES and SHADOWS or the TRUE which was to come. Jesus became our SABBATH, and we have entered into our REST being in Jesus Christ. The SABBATH was an ARCHETYPAL pointing toward our TRUE REST which was to come being FULFILLED in the ATONEMENT of Jesus.
#15. 190 AD CLEMENT OF ALEXANDRIA:
He does the commandment according to the Gospel and keeps the Lord's day, whenever he puts away an evil mind . . . glorifying the Lord's resurrection in himself. (Ibid. Vii.xii.76.4)
#16. 190 AD CLEMENT OF ALEXANDRIA:
Plato prophetically speaks of the Lord's day in the tenth book of the Republic, in these words: 'And when seven days have passed to each of them in the meadow, on the eighth they must go on." (Miscellanies V.xiv.106.2)
#17. 200 AD BARDESANES:
Wherever we are, we are all called after the one name of Christ Christians. On one day, the first of the week, we assemble ourselves together (On Fate)
#18. 200 AD TERTULLIAN:
"We solemnize the day AFTER Saturday in contradistinction to those who call this day their Sabbath" (Tertullian's Apology, Ch 16)
In other words, Tertullian is saying that we Christians DISTINGUISH us from the JEWS who hold Saturday as THEIR Sabbath by solemnizing or reverencing the day AFTER Saturday as our day of worship and rest.
#19. 200 AD TERTULLIAN:
It follows, accordingly, that, in so far as the abolition of carnal circumcision and of the old law is demonstrated as having been consummated at its specific times, so ALSO the observance of the Sabbath is demonstrated to have been temporary. (An Answer to the Jews 4:1, Ante-Nicene Fathers Vol. 3, page 155)
#20. 200 AD TERTULLIAN:
Let him who contends that the Sabbath is still to be observed a balm of salvation, and circumcision on the eighth day because of threat of death, teach us that in earliest times righteous men kept Sabbath or practiced circumcision, and so were made friends of God. .. ...Therefore, since God originated Adam uncircumcised, and inobservant of the Sabbath, consequently his offspring also, Abel, offering Him sacrifices, uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, was by Him commended... Noah also, uncircumcised - yes, and inobservant of the Sabbath - God freed from the deluge. For Enoch, too, most righteous man, uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, He translated from this world... Melchizedek also, "the priest of most high God," uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, was chosen to the priesthood of God. (An Answer to the Jews 2:10; 4:1, Ante-Nicene Fathers Vol. 3, page 153)
#21. 200 AD TERTULLIAN:
Others . . . suppose that the sun is the god of the Christians, because it is well-known that we regard Sunday as a day of joy. (To the Nations 1: 133)
Keep in mind that this was well BEFORE Constantine SUPPOSEDLY CHANGED the day of rest and worship to SUNday as the Seventh Day Adventist church CLAIMS. But it TRUTH Christians had ALREADY been worshiping God on SUNDAY, the FIRST day of the week that they also called the LORD'S day, the day that our Lord and savior Jesus rose from the dead.
So as early as Tertullian in 200 AD there were groups of JEWS and Christian JEWS who ASSUMED or who SUPPOSED, or who FALSELY ACCUSED Christians for worshiping God on SUNDAY that they were worshiping a sun god and not the true God.
#22. 200 AD TERTULLIAN:
To us Sabbaths are foreign. (On Idolatry, 14:6)4
#23. 220 AD ORIGEN:
"On Sunday none of the actions of the world should be done. If then, you abstain from all the works of this world and keep yourselves free for spiritual things, go to church, listen to the readings and divine homilies, meditate on heavenly things. (Homil. 23 in Numeros 4, PG 12:749)
#24. 220 AD Origen:
"Hence it is not possible that the [day of] rest after the Sabbath should have come into existence from the seventh [day] of our God. On the contrary, it is our Savior who, after the pattern of his own rest, caused us to be made in the likeness of his death, and hence also of his resurrection" (Commentary on John 2:28).
#25. 225 AD The Didascalia:
"The apostles further appointed: On the first day of the week let there be service, and the reading of the Holy Scriptures, and the oblation, because on the first day of the week our Lord rose from the place of the dead, and on the first day of the week he arose upon the world, and on the first day of the week he ascended up to heaven, and on the first day of the week he will appear at last with the angels of heaven" (Didascalia 2).
And I add further that the church BEGAN on the day of Pentecost on a SUNDAY, the FIRST day of the week. The early church evidence and the word of TRUTH, the Holy Bible make it quite clear that the early church worshiped God on SUNDAY the FIRST day of the week, called the LORD'S day and that they did NOT KEEP the Sabbath day as the JEWS.
#26. 250 AD CYPRIAN:
The eight day, that is, the first day after the Sabbath, and the Lord's Day." (Epistle 58, Sec 4)
#27. 250 AD IGNATIUS:
"If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord's Day, on which also our life has sprung up again by Him and by His death-whom some deny, by which mystery we have obtained faith, and therefore endure, that we may be found the disciples of Jesus Christ, our only Master-how shall we be able to live apart from Him, whose disciples the prophets themselves in the Spirit did wait for Him as their Teacher? And therefore He whom they rightly waited for, being come, raised them from the dead. If, then, those who were conversant with the ancient Scriptures came to newness of hope, expecting the coming of Christ, as the Lord teaches us when He says, "If ye had believed Moses, ye would have believed Me, for he wrote of Me; " and again, "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it, and was glad; for before Abraham was, I am; " how shall we be able to live without Him? The prophets were His servants, and foresaw Him by the Spirit, and waited for Him as their Teacher, and expected Him as their Lord and Saviour, saying, "He will come and save us." Let us therefore NO longer keep the Sabbath after the Jewish manner, and rejoice in days of idleness; for "he that does not work, let him not eat." For say the [holy] oracles, "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat thy bread." But let every one of you keep the Sabbath after a spiritual manner, rejoicing in meditation on the law, NOT in relaxation of the body, admiring the workmanship of God, and not eating things prepared the day before, nor using lukewarm drinks, and walking within a prescribed space, nor finding delight in dancing and plaudits which have no sense in them. And after the observance of the Sabbath, let every friend of Christ keep the Lord's Day as a festival, the resurrection-day, the queen and chief of all the days [of the week].Looking forward to this, the prophet declared, "To the end, for the eighth day," on which our life both sprang up again, and the victory over death was obtained in Christ, whom the children of perdition, the enemies of the Saviour, deny, "whose god is their belly, who mind earthly things," who are "lovers of pleasure, and not lovers of God, having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof." These make merchandise of Christ, corrupting His word, and giving up Jesus to sale: they are corrupters of women, and covetous of other men's possessions, swallowing up wealth insatiably; from whom may ye be delivered by the mercy of God through our Lord Jesus Christ! (Epistle of Ignatius to the Magnesians, Chapter IX)
#28. 250 AD IGNATIUS:
"On the day of the preparation, then, at the third hour, He received the sentence from Pilate, the Father permitting that to happen; at the sixth hour He was crucified; at the ninth hour He gave up the ghost; and before sunset He was buried. During the Sabbath He continued under the earth in the tomb in which Joseph of Arimathaea had laid Him. At the dawning of the Lord's day He arose from the dead, according to what was spoken by Himself, "As Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly, so shall the Son of man also be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. "The day of the preparation, then, comprises the passion; the Sabbath embraces the burial; the Lord's Day contains the resurrection." (The Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians, chapter 9)
#29. 250 AD IGNATIUS:
If any one fasts on the Lord's Day or on the Sabbath, except on the paschal Sabbath only, he is a murderer of Christ. (The Epistle of Ignatius to the Philippians, chapter 8)
#30. 250 AD IGNATIUS:
"This [custom], of not bending the knee upon Sunday, is a symbol of the resurrection, through which we have been set free, by the grace of Christ, from sins, and from death, which has been put to death under Him. Now this custom took its rise from apostolic times, as the blessed Irenaeus, the martyr and bishop of Lyons, declares in his treatise On Easter, in which he makes mention of Pentecost also; upon which [feast] we do not bend the knee, because it is of equal significance with the Lord's day, for the reason already alleged concerning it." (Ignatius, Fragments)
#31. 300 AD Victorinus:
"The sixth day [Friday] is called parasceve, that is to say, the preparation of the kingdom. . . . On this day also, on account of the passion of the Lord Jesus Christ, we make either a station to God or a fast. On the seventh day he rested from all his works, and blessed it, and sanctified it. On the former day we are accustomed to fast rigorously, that on the Lord's day we may go forth to our bread with giving of thanks. And let the parasceve become a rigorous fast, lest we should APPEAR to observe ANY Sabbath with the Jews . . . which Sabbath he [Christ] in his body ABOLISHED" (The Creation of the World).
#32. 300 AD EUSEBIUS:
"They did not, therefore, regard circumcision, NOR observe the Sabbath NEITHER do we; ... because such things as these do NOT belong to Christians" (Ecc. Hist., Book 1, Ch. 4)
#33. 300 AD EUSEBIUS:
[The Ebionites] were accustomed to observe the Sabbath and other Jewish customs but on the Lord's days to celebrate the same practices as we in remembrance of the resurrection of the Savior. (Church History Ill.xxvii.5)
I will also add that the Ebionites were Christians who were seduced by the Jews to keep the Jewish customs. In other words, the Ebionites were Judanized Christians. The Ebionites also taught the need to be circumcised in the flesh in order to be saved. Some today would not even consider Ebionites as being true Christians since they went back to trusting the law of Moses to be saved.
#34. 300 AD Eusebius of Caesarea:
"They [the pre- Mosaic saints of the Old Testament] did not care about circumcision of the body, neither do we [Christians]. They did not care about observing Sabbaths, nor do we. They did not avoid certain kinds of food, neither did they regard the other distinctions which Moses first delivered to their posterity to be observed as symbols; nor do Christians of the present day do such things" (Church History 1:4:8).
#35. 300 AD Eusebius of Caesarea:
"The day of his [Christ's] light . . . was the day of his resurrection from the dead, which they say, as being the one and only truly holy day and the Lord's day, is better than any number of days as we ordinarily understand them, and better than the days set apart by the Mosaic Law for feasts, new moons, and Sabbaths, which the Apostle [Paul] teaches are the shadow of days and not days in reality" (Proof of the Gospel 4:16:186).
#36. 345 AD Athanasius:
"The Sabbath was the end of the first creation, the Lord's day was the beginning of the second, in which he renewed and restored the old in the same way as he prescribed that they should formerly observe the Sabbath as a memorial of the end of the first things, so we honor the Lord's day as being the memorial of the new creation" (On Sabbath and Circumcision 3).
#37. 350 AD APOSTOLIC CONSTITUTIONS:
Be not careless of yourselves, neither deprive your Saviour of His own members, neither divide His body nor disperse His members, neither prefer the occasions of this life to the word of God; but assemble yourselves together every day, morning and evening, singing psalms and praying in the Lord's house: in the morning saying the sixty-second Psalm, and in the evening the hundred and fortieth, but principally on the Sabbath-day. And on the day of our Lord's resurrection, which is the Lord's day, meet more diligently, sending praise to God that made the universe by Jesus, and sent Him to us, and condescended to let Him suffer, and raised Him from the dead. Otherwise what apology will he make to God who does not assemble on that day to hear the saving word concerning the resurrection, on which we pray thrice standing in memory of Him who arose in three days, in which is performed the reading of the prophets, the preaching of the Gospel, the oblation of the sacrifice, the gift of the holy food? (Constitutions of the Holy Apostles, book 2)
#38. 350 AD APOSTOLIC CONSTITUTIONS:
"How We Ought to Assemble Together, and to Celebrate the Festival Day of Our Saviour's Resurrection. On the day of the resurrection of the Lord, that is, the Lord's day, assemble yourselves together, without fail, giving thanks to God, and praising Him for those mercies God has bestowed upon you through Christ, and has delivered you from ignorance, error, and bondage, that your sacrifice may be unspotted, and acceptable to God,..." (Constitutions of the Holy Apostles, book 7)
#39. 350 AD Cyril of Jerusalem:
"Fall NOT AWAY either into the sect of the Samaritans or into Judaism, for Jesus Christ has henceforth ransomed you. Stand aloof from ALL observance of Sabbaths and from calling any indifferent meats common or unclean" (Catechetical Lectures 4:37).
#40. 360 AD Council of Laodicea:
"Christians should NOT Judaize and should NOT be idle on the Sabbath, but should work on that day; they should, however, particularly reverence the Lord's day and, if possible, not work on it, because they were Christians" (canon 29).
#41. 387 AD John Chrysostom:
"You have put on Christ, you have become a member of the Lord and been enrolled in the heavenly city, and you still grovel in the Law [of Moses]? How is it possible for you to obtain the kingdom? Listen to Paul's words, that the observance of the Law overthrows the gospel, and learn, if you will, how this comes to pass, and tremble, and shun this pitfall. Why do you keep the Sabbath and fast with the Jews?" (Homilies on Galatians 2:17).
#42. 412 AD Augustine:
"Well, now, I should like to be told what there is in these Ten Commandments, except the observance of the Sabbath, which ought NOT to be kept by a Christian . . . Which of these commandments would anyone say that the Christian ought not to keep? It is possible to contend that it is not the Law which was written on those two tables that the apostle [Paul] describes as 'the letter that kills' [2 Cor. 3:6], but the law of circumcision and the other sacred rites which are now abolished" (The Spirit and the Letter 24).
#43. 597 AD Gregory I:
"But after that the grace of almighty God, our Lord Jesus Christ, has appeared, the commandments of the Law which were spoken figuratively cannot be kept according to the letter. For if anyone says that this about the Sabbath is to be kept, he must needs say that carnal sacrifices are to be offered. He must say too that the commandment about the circumcision of the body is still to be retained. But let him hear the apostle Paul saying in opposition to him: 'If you be circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing' (Gal. 5:2)" (Letters 13:1).