ROMANS CHAPTER 9
Explained in the LIGHT of the
WHOLE word of God!
Let us take Romans chapter 9 verse by verse and I will give you my understanding on the questionable verses that are being dogmatically taught to support the doctrine of Calvinism on election by grace. Also we will cover the controversy about God HATING ESAU and what this verse truly means in the LIGHT of the WHOLE word of God.
“I say the truth in Christ (or I speak the truth to you being in or under the ANOINTING of the Holy Spirit), I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost, (Paul is basically saying that it is by the Holy Spirit under the anointing that he speaks this truth.)
2. That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart.
3. For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: (Paul is qualifying the difference between his Christian brethren who are walking after the Spirit in obedience, which area mixture of GENTILES and Jews, as opposed to his NATURAL born brethren of Israel who are NOT walking after the Spirit following God in obedience to BELIEVE that Jesus is the SON OF God who died for their sins. So Paul's lineage or kinsmen of the FLESH are ISRAELITES as the following verse clearly teaches us)
4. Who are Israelites; to whom pertains the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises; (Paul is further clarifying that he is speaking of natural born Jews who are INDEED the race of people that God INITIALLY gave the PROMISE.)
5. Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen. (Paul is basically saying here in this verse being examined in the light of the whole word of God that it was for THESE, God's chosen people, that the anointing of God came in the flesh speaking Almighty God the Father DWELLING in the FLESH body of Jesus first and then coming to DWELL IN the flesh body all who believe and receive this same anointing of God in their flesh to over come sin and live as Jesus lived without sin, and do the same works that Jesus did through the same eternal Spirit dwelling in him. This is why the gospel was preached to the Jew FIRST and then to the Gentiles after the Jewish nation as a majority rejected this so great a promise of salvation.)
6. Not as though the word of God has taken none effect. (Paul is saying please do not misunderstand what I am saying. It is NOT the fault of God that some of the children of the nation of Israel are not ACCEPTING the gospel of their salvation.) For (but rather or the true reason of why ALL of God's chosen people will not are are not accepting the gospel of their salvation is that) they are not ALL Israel, which are of Israel:(Now Paul is not saying here that ONLY some of God's CHOSEN people are CHOSEN to be saved from before the foundation of the world. This would make no sense whatsoever. But rather Paul is saying first of all that not ALL of the natural born Jews of God's CHOSEN people are FOLLOWING and obeying the word of God. Basically Paul is saying that they LACK understanding of the WORD of God. God's people are being destroyed for LACK of KNOWLEDGE and NOT because God has supposedly chosen SOME to be saved and all other to be lost as some falsely teach. The Jews UNDER the LAW who did not KEEP the law are like Christians today who SAY they are Christian in WORD only, but they bear no fruit. Secondly Paul is sating that Just being a HEBREW of the linage of Abraham does NOT make one to be a Jew of inheritance of the promise. ALL being born of the SEED of Abraham are of HEBREW descent, but not ALL Hebrews are JEWS of the twelve tribes of Israel. )
7. Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall your seed be called. (According to John chapter 5, which I will not get into at this time Jesus perceived the difference between the children of Israel, that is to say PERCEIVED that SOME of the Jews to whom he was speaking were OF the seed of Jacob while others who were ALSO Jews were OF the seed of Ishmael, namely what the world calls today as being Muslims who claim that they are serving the true God of Abraham since they are OF the seed of Abraham. The truth of the matter is that all Muslims OF middle east DESCENT are natural born HEBREWS according to the FLESH being OF the seed of Abraham where primarily the majority are of the seed of ISHMAEL. Paul is saying here that just because you are OF the SEED of Abraham does not make you a child of the promise, and he adds...)
8. That is, (or that is to say or let me say this another way to make myself perfectly clear by adding.) They which are the children of the FLESH, these are NOT the children of God (Now Paul is clarifying what he is saying by adding that not all of God's CHOSEN people Israel are Israel just because they are of the seed of Abraham being born a natural born Jew either of the seed of Jacob OR Ishmael, BUT rather it is because some of God's CHOSEN people have followed the FLESH disobeying Gods WORD by NOT BELIEVING that Jesus is the CHRIST, the SON OF the living God): BUT (or but RATHER or so then) the children of the PROMISE are counted for the seed. (the word PROMISE is the key to understanding this chapter. What was the PROMISE of the FIRST covenant? In short God will fulfill his part, IF SO BE his chosen people fulfill THEIR part. But the Jews failed to keep the covenant. However, God by his grace kept HIS part by making ANOTHER WAY for his chosen people Israel to be saved, BUT even then SOME still erred from UNDERSTANDING the WORD of God and therefore by their own REJECTION of the gospel of salvation not all of Israel will be saved. You see dear child of God the literal meaning of "counted for the seed" means that God is reckoning INTO the seed to all who BELIEVE in his SON Jesus.)
9. For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sara shall have a son. (The END of the PROMISE was to Abraham that through his SON whom God PROMISED Abraham would have and that Almighty God HIMSELF would provide would be the SEED of PROMISE that would make Abraham the father of MANY NATIONS and not just the HEBREW nation. You see dear child of God this is one of those DUAL prophecies speaking not only of Isaac bearing Jacob, but also speaking of Jesus being THE SEED, by which ALL of mankind could become a CHILD or God. So in TRUTH this is ALL that matters. God does NOT care who you are or what COLOR you shin may be the PROMISE is unto YOU, WHOSOEVER BELIEVES in Jesus as the SON OF Almighty God who died for the sins of the WHOLE word so that WHOSOEVER BELIEVES in Jesus the SON OF God shall be saved.)
10. And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac; (Paul is saying that ALL of Israel is of the seed of ABRAHAM, which also includes the seed of Isaac born of Rebecca and this is one of the reasons why not ALL of Israel is Israel. Keep in mind that Paul is making an argument to the CORE reason why not ALL of ISRAEL will accept the gospel of their salvation. Paul is NOT speaking of ANY Gentiles here in this entire passage of scripture, but rather is speaking if ISRAEL or the HEBREW people.)
11. (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calls;)
12. (And here is WHAT God PURPOSED to BE) It was SAID unto her, The elder shall serve the younger. ( Now some wrongly INTERPRET this verse to mean that ALL Caucasian or white people shall SERVE ALL the BLACK people, but more specifically all the AFRICAN BLACK people. But his is NOT what this verse means in the LIGHT of the WHOLE word of God. Here again Paul is clarifying that the election, the calling, or the choosing of Almighty God HIMSELF as to whom the PROMISE of salvation would be given is to those who KEEP the agreement of the PROMISE. It is the disobedient of God, who will NOT receive the PROMISE of ETERNAL LIFE in the world to come. This may sound or SEEM like a works base salvation to some, but in truth is is merely OBEDIENCE to God's WORD, which we are COMMANDED to do. Under the NEW covenant we are commanded to BELIEVE on Jesus as the SON OF God and it is through FAITH that WHOSOEVER BELIEVES are reckoned as the SEED of Abraham according to the PROMISE. The seed of FLESH has no bearing on whether a person is ULTIMATELY chosen of God whether one is of the seed of JACOB, ISHMAEL, OR ESAU. The COLOR of you skin has NO bearing on whether or not you are ULTIMATELY in the END chosen of God to be saved. What RACE you are has NO bearing on whether or not you are ULTIMATELY in the END chosen of God. ONLY those who BELIEVE on Jesus being the SON OF God who died for THEIR sins and not ONLY for their sins but ALSO for the sins of the WHOLE word shall be saved and CHOSEN of God. This TRUTH becomes absolutely clear to those who when they interpret any one verse or chapter of God's word in the light of the WHOLE word of God. As I have said many times any verse or one passage of scripture taken out of context may SEEM to say something that it is not truly saying.)
13. As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated. (Keep in mind the CONTEXT of this verse. This verse being quoted from the Old testament is a PROPHECY of the coming nation of the SEED of Esau that will DISOBEY God by following ANOTHER false God. It is the FALSE religion of ISLAM of the Muslim nation that God hates. Please do NOT misunderstand what I am saying. It is NOT the Muslims themselves that God hates, but rather it is their RELIGION of Islam and the WORKS they do FOLLOWING their beliefs of Islam for Muslims to HATE God's people the Christians and the Jews seeking to kill them in the name of their god Allah. That is what God hates. God is speaking of the FUTURE and NOT of the PERSON of Esau himself nor the PERSON being born a Muslim as what God hates, but rather it is the WORKS of the FLESH as being what God REJECTS. Yes God did hate the WORK of Esau when he deliberately took a daughter of Ishmael as his wife because Esau KNEW it would displease his father Isaac)
14. What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. (It is NOT unrighteous for God to execute vengeance or recompense on those who do EVIL where evil by God's definition is all DISOBEDIENCE to what God himself says, commands, and teaches us to do or not do.)
15. For he SAID to Moses, I will have MERCY on whom I will have MERCY, and I will have COMPASSION on whom I will have COMPASSION. (This verse is yet another KEY to understanding this chapter in God's word. This verse is NOT saying that I will CHOOSE whom I will CHOOSE, but rather it is saying I will have MERCY to save whom so ever I choose to have MERCY to save. The WHOLE word of God makes it very clear that Jesus died for ALL of mankind and not just for the seed of Jacob only. God has made a NEW covenant of PROMISE that is to ALL who BELIEVE in his SON Jesus as their savior who then FOLLOW and OBEY the teachings of Jesus. And at the same time God does NOT cast out ALL of Israel, but rather RECKONS all of Israel INTO the seed BY COMING to him in the WAY that he himself has PURPOSED ALL of mankind to come to him and that is THROUGH FAITH in his SON Jesus and NOT of WORKS of men's OWN righteousness lest there be BOASTING. So then, those of you who are casting a stumbling block before God's LITTLE ones by dogmatically demanding that God HATES ALL the seed of ESAU may God have mercy on you in the day of judgment for you are stirring up HATRED among the brethren. You see dear child of God, who are wondering what I am saying, there are some who are CLAIMING that THEY are the TRUE Jews or ISRAELITES and that the Jews over in the land of Israel are NOT TRUE Jews, and these who CLAIM that they are the TRUE Jews dogmatically demand that ALL the seed of ESAU are Caucasian or WHITE people so therefore according to THEM God HATES ALL WHITE people. And others teach that ALL of the seed of ESAU are BLACK people. So then, does God HATES ALL BLACK people? No he does NOT! God so LOVED the WORLD so the WHOSOEVER of ANY human being not matter what color or what race. This HATE message MUST STOP dear child of God, for by SAYING that you LOVE God and THEN you do not SHOW your love for God by HATING your brother you LIE and God is NOT in you. God LOVES ALL of mankind and hates EVIL.)
16. So then it is not of him that wills, nor of him that runs, but of God that shows MERCY. (To WHOM does God show MERCY. The clear, plain and SIMPLE gospel teaches us without a doubt that God shows mercy to ALL who make their OWN choice to BELIEVE the gospel of Jesus Christ, which in simplicity is that Jesus died for OUR sins and not ONLY for our sins, but ALSO for the sins of the WHOLE world according to 1 John 2. No one can EARN the MERCY of God. ALL have sinned and are deserving of death, but God has shown us MERCY by making a WAY for ALL how choose to BELIEVE in Jesus as the only begotten SON OF God who died for the sins of the WHOLE world shall be saved. Many are called but few are chosen. This literally means that MANY ALTOGETHER abundantly are called but few are CHOSEN, You see not ALL will answer the call, some will answer but not ENDURE unto the END to be saved or chosen by God for BEING that good and faithful servant unto the END.)
17. For the scripture says unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose (the SAME purpose is God showing his MERCY to SAVE) have I raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. (Paul is saying two things here: first it is that God alone is the one who EXALTS and those whom exalt themselves shall be made low, which brings us to the second thing that God is saying which is that all glory shall be given to Almighty God the Father. So just as God DELIVERED Israel out of the hand of Pharaoh so shall God DELIVER his people Israel out of the hands of the Muslims who will seek to kill every last Jew.)
18. Therefore (or for this very reason) has he MERCY on whom he will have MERCY, and whom he will he harden. (Remember and keep in mind that Paul is trying to explain WHY not ALL of Israel will be SAVE is BECAUSE not all of Israel will BELIEVE and ACCEPT the gospel of their salvation. God will turn anyone over to a reprobate mind who has made their OWN CHOICE to remain in DISOBEDIENCE and follow the FLESH. And God will have mercy on ANYONE who makes their OWN CHOICE to BELIEVE and follow the teachings of God to OBEY his commandments unto the END to receive their PROMISE of reward of eternal life in the world to come. So then God has by HIS grace and mercy provided a WAY for ALL of mankind to be saved NOT willing that ANY man should perish but that ALL men would come to the KNOWLEDGE of the TRUTH and be saved)
19. You will say then unto me, Why does he yet find fault? For who has resisted his will? (Paul is perceiving ahead of time of what his audience will answer back to what he is teaching them and say back to him why does God yet find fault with US, because WE have not disobeyed God's word BOASTING in THEMSELVES. WE agree with you Paul about those of Israel who do NOT OBEY God's word and that THEY will not receive the PROMISE, but WE are NOT of those who are DISOBEYING God. Then Paul answers back BEFORE his audience can argue with him.)
20. Nay (or NOT SO, you may THINK that you have obeyed God in EVERY aspect but you have NOT) but (as besides even if you have obeyed God perfectly in every respect), O man, who are you that reply against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why have you made me thus? (Remember that the CONTEXT is about why not ALL of God's CHOSEN people ISRAEL will God CHOOSE to be saved. Remember that NOT ALL Israel is ISRAEL even though they are ALL of HEBREW descent. This passage of scripture has nothing to with GENTILES. This verse is NOT saying that God has specifically made certain people to be saved and all other people to be destroyed. The TRUTH of this verse is clarified in verse 23 where we are clearly taught that God's chosen people Israel where chosen with the INTENT of GLORY and not to wrath. We as Christian are NOT appointed to God's wrath, BUT the DISOBEDIENT to the gospel and the ungodly shall indeed partake of God's wrath, which is yet another verse that clearly teaches us that we MUST be OBEDIENT unto to death obeying God's commandments lest or for fear that we fall short of the glory that God has prepared for us who BELIEVE. Those who truly believe will indeed OBEY the commandments of God. But sadly because of FALSE teaching like Calvinism some Christians are being DECEIVED to live after the FLESH living in a lifestyle of SIN wrongly believing that they can never lose their salvation no matter what the do or do not do. Please read the study "IS ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED BIBLICAL?")
21. Has not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honor, and another unto dishonor? (This verse is NOT saying that God SPECIFICALLY creates some people to be saved while he SPECIFICALLY creates ALL other people to be cast into the lake of fire and they have NO CHOICE because God has PREDESTINED certain specific people to be saved and has PREDESTINED other certain specific individuals to be destroyed in the lake of fire. But rather this verse is saying who are we to say that it is unrighteous for God to PUNISH the wicked or those who do evil. ANY Muslim can make the CHOICE to believe the gospel of salvation and be saved. ANY Jew can make the choice to believe the gospel and be save. And ANY Gentile can make the choice to believe the gospel and be saved. This passage of scripture is primarily about the JEWS and the MUSLIMS in the last days, and NOT about the BLACK African race and the Caucasian WHITE race as some CLAIM.)
22. What IF God (or let us SUPPOSE that God), willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much long suffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: (What are or who are those whom God has chosen to his WRATH? Are they the OBEDIENT to his commandments chosen or fitted to wrath? Or are the has God chosen and fitted to his wrath those who DISOBEY the gospel by living UNGODLY lives? Why would God ENDURE for so long suffering the DISOBEDIENT to TURN from their wicked ways and LIVE is so be that God knows very well that these vessels whom God supposedly specifically formed and chose to be destroyed and they have NO CHOICE in the matter as some FALSELY teach? And if so be that God HATES ALL Caucasian white people and has fitted or PREDESTINED them to wrath and they have no choice in the matter, then WHY who God endure with much long suffering for them to repent. It is because that it NOT the TRUE sound BIBLICAL meaning of PREDESTINATION. Please read the study ""PREDESTINATION: WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?")
23. And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of MERCY, which he had a fore (Or in the BEGINNING or originally) prepared unto GLORY, (ALL of God's creation was created GOOD! Hell was NOT created for mankind. But IF SO BE as Calvinist CLAIM that God SPECIFICALLY MADE some people for the very PURPOSE of being destroyed in the eternal HELL fire then Hell would NOT have needed to be ENLARGED. But God word says WHY has hell ENLARGED herself? It GRIEVES God to have to destroy the wicked. The truth of the matter is that it has always been the INTENT that ALL men be saved. This is his DESIRE, but because of men being DECEIVED to DENY Jesus as God's SON who died for their sin God has no choice but to cast them into the lake of fire to be destroy. So the phrase according to his PURPOSE once again means that God has PURPOSED that ONLY RIGHTEOUSNESS remain and he has ALSO PURPOSED that Jesus be the ONLY way by which man can be made RIGHTEOUS)
24. Even us, whom he has called, NOT of the Jews ONLY, but ALSO of the Gentiles? (NOW Paul is talking about the GENTILE nations. Paul is saying that it has ALWAYS been God's WILL and ORIGINAL INTENT that all of mankind be saved. The WHOLE plan of God cannot be discerned by ONE passage of scripture. Please read the study “UNDERSTANDING WHY?” for a deeper understanding of God's PLAN of salvation and WHY evil has been ALLOWED to be in the earth so long and will yet be ALLOWED again for as short season even AFTER a 1000 year reign of peace under his Son Jesus)
25. As he said also in Osee (Hosea), I will call them MY people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved. (Also God said in Hosea that HIS chosen people are destroyed for LACK of KNOWLEDGE and NOT that that his chosen people were chosen to be destroyed from BEFORE the foundation of the world as if they have absolutely no choice in their being saved or lost. The verse says MY people are destroyed or God's ELECT people are destroyed. So HOW then can the ELECT be destroyed IF SO BE the doctrine of election according to Calvinism be true where supposed ALL the ELECT only shall be saved and not one single ELECT shall be lost? Verse 25 is saying that in the PLAN of salvation God has chosen to manifest in STEPS one step at a time, to the Jew FIRST. Therefore God started or began with a specific race or nationality to lead and guide in his WAYS of walking in RIGHTEOUSNESS. So then the GENTILES or the REST of mankind that were NOT natural born Jews or Israel where not at this TIME chosen to be TAUGHT of the Lord the ways of RIGHTEOUSNESS. But NOW salvation has appeared to ALL of mankind. The grace of God has come to ALL of mankind to TEACH us godliness.)
26. And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, You are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God. (Paul is confirming what I just said that NOW salvation has appeared to ALL of mankind and has been made AVAILABLE to ALL who BELIEVE.)
27. Esaias (Isaiah) also cries concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved: (Or even though it was always God INTENT for ALL of Israel to be chosen to GLORY only a REMNANT shall BELIEVE and be saved.)
28. For he will FINISH the work, and cut it short in RIGHTEOUSNESS: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth. (the very last WORDS that Jesus will speak forth into the earth at the very moment of his return is let the RIGHTEOUS remain righteous and let the UNRIGHTEOUS remain unrighteous. This teaches us that ONLY those who are ACTIVELY walking in OBEDIENCE at the moment of his return will be found to be that good and faithful servant to enter into the glory and joy of the Lord. Some Christians get very hostile with me on my understanding of God's word that to ME clearly teaches that ONLY the OBEDIENT shall receive their PROMISE of reward of eternal life in the world to come and the DISOBEDIENT to the gospel shall endure the WRATH of God. Jesus clearly taught us that only those of us who OVER COME shall receive eternal life and that we are not to LET any man STEAL our crown of life by DECEIVING us with false teaching that we can never lose our salvation no matter what we do or do not do. Jesus said by our WORKS shall we be judged. For ME I chose to believe the words of Jesus over John Calvin and Calvin's followers trusting in the man made doctrine of CALVINISM)
19. And as Esaias (Isaiah) said before, Except the Lord of Sabbath had left us a seed, we had been as Sodom, and been made like unto Gomorrha. (Basically Paul is saying that if God had not provide his OWN sacrificial LAMB to save us, then ALL of mankind including us, Israel his chosen people, would have remained vessels of destruction. The SEED here is speaking of Jesus making a WAY for WHOSOEVER BELIEVES to be reckoned by God as a SEED of Abraham according to the PROMISE.)
30. What shall we say then? (Here is what God is saying to US, God's chosen people Israel AND to the Gentiles who have made the CHOICE to BELIEVE in Jesus) That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have ATTAINED to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of FAITH.
31. But (but also at the same time) Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, has not attained to the law of righteousness.
32. Wherefore? (Or the reason WHY Israel has NOT attained the righteousness of God is) Because they sought it not by FAITH, but as it were by the works of the LAW. (In other words, they walked in righteousness not out of LOVE but rather out of a heart and mind of something that the must do as a RITUAL service to God to receive glory of MEN boasting in THEMSELVES comparing themselves with others) For (Or for this reason) they stumbled at that stumbling stone;(thinking that they do NOT NEED a savior for THEY are of the SEED of Abraham)
33. As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumbling stone and rock of offense: and whosoever BELIEVES on him shall not be ashamed.”
Paul is closing his argument as the reason of WHY not ALL of God's CHOSEN people Israel shall be CHOSEN to be saved by saying that WHOSOEVER whether JEW or GENTILE who shall BELIEVE on Jesus as the SON OF God who died for their sins shall be saved, BUT in the same respect WHOSOEVER who does NOT believe the Jesus is the CHRIST, the Son of God whom God sent to do his will and become OBEDIENT even to death on the cross to die for the sins of the people, ALL of mankind, to provide the MEANS by which that ALL mankind can be saved, then those who REMAIN in their UNBELIEF shall REMAIN in their sins and shall be judged according to the words of Jesus and be destroyed on the day of judgment.
Paul goes on to say that it is the GRACE of God that God has CONSIDERED all of mankind to be under sin so that HE can save ALL by FAITH in his SON Jesus, as in, WHOSOEVER BELIEVES that Jesus is the SON OF God who died for their sins shall be forgiven of all their past sins and placed back into a right relationship with Almighty God the Father and given an earnest of his Holy Spirit to empower them to live without sin and do the same works that Jesus did through the same eternal Spirit who dwelt in him.
Always remember that any verse or passage of scripture must be interpreted in the light of the WHOLE word of God and that any interpretation must AGREE with the WHOLE word of God or that INTERPRETATION is not a SOUND BIBLICAL interpretation and therefore must be reject as false teaching.
Thanks for reading and may God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,