Matthew 1:23 EMMANUEL,
GOD WITH US!
Does Matthew 1:23 and Isaiah 7:14 where Jesus is called Emmanuel or Immanuel being interpreted God WITH us mean That Almighty God is a “TRINITY”?
Let us read both verses first and then see what the REST of God's word teaches us about God being WITH us.
“And Jacob begot Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called CHRIST. (the word “CHRIST” means ANOINTED ONE and also means the MESSIAH. Being the anointed one means not only being called or appointed, but also means to be equipped or EMPOWERED to do the job you were called to do.)
17. So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto CHRIST are fourteen generations.
20. But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, (some who teach the doctrine of the trinity teach that the angel of the Lord in the preexisting Jesus before he was born as a the Son of MAN, but yet we see the angel of the Lord here speaking to Joseph in a dream when Jesus has already been conceived in Mary's womb) saying, Joseph, you son of David, fear not to take unto you Mary your wife: for that which is CONCEIVED IN her is of the Holy Ghost.
21. And she shall bring forth a son, and you shall call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. (the NAME Jesus means the salvation OF the Almighty God or the Almighty SAVES. In other words, Almighty God chose as the means by which he would save mankind was for his Son Jesus being a HUMAN being live a life without sin to become a SPOTLESS LAMB that would be slain without cause and therefore be the perfect sacrifice to redeem mankind back to himself)
The short simple answer is that Almighty God is FOR us, in that he has sent us a MESSIAH to SAVE us.
If you continue to read in Isaiah chapter 8 we see the WAR that will be taking place when Jesus comes again to fight FOR and WITH his people Israel to SAVE them from complete destruction. Israel says to her enemy, go ahead and make you plans, attack us, give it your best shot, but know that you will never destroy us because Almighty God is WITH US. Now God is not yet present WITH them, but they know from God's word that God is FOR them and that he will come and FIGHT FOR them. But what Israel has not yet come to realize is that because of their own disobedience all this has come upon them. God forsakes them for a little until they call upon him to save them. Then they will see their Messiah coming in clouds of glory and power to fight for them.
Here is Isaiah 8:10.
“Take counsel together, and it shall come to nought (or your plans shall come to nothing); speak the word, and it shall not stand: for God is WITH us (or God is FOR us being on OUR SIDE and God will fight FOR us and SAVE us).”
Another way that God is WITH us is that Almighty God the FATHER HIMSELF DWELT IN his SON Jesus.
Please read John 14:6-20.
“Jesus said unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes unto the Father, but by me. (in other words if we want the Father then we MUST have the SON for without the SON no man has the Father. All through the New Testament we see only the TWO, the Father and the SON.)
9. Jesus said unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet have you not known me, Philip? He that has seen me has seen the Father; and how say you then, Show us the Father? (Jesus was NOT claiming that he himself was THE ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God the FATHER, but rather Jesus was teaching us that he is the EXPRESS IMAGE of his God and Father by showing us the WORKS that Almighty God the Father was DOING in or by the hands of his SON Jesus)
10. Believe you not that I am in the Father, and the FATHER IN ME? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the FATHER THAT DWELLS IN ME , HE (the Holy SPIRIT OF Almighty God the FATHER) DOES the works.
12. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believes on me, the WORKS that I do shall he DO ALSO; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. (Jesus is going to the Father to present his shed blood that cleanse us from all sin so that we may be a clean vessel IN which Almighty God the Father may DWELL IN just as he DWELT IN his SON Jesus to do the works. Please read the study “THE POWER AND AUTHORITY OF THE BELIEVER!”)
13. And whatsoever you shall ask in my NAME, that will I do, THAT (or in order that) the Father may be glorified IN the Son. (again just TWO are being spoken of even though there APPEARS or SEEMS to be a third person. This will all become crystal clear as you continue this study in God's word)
16. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that HE may abide with you for ever; (speaking of the Comforter being the Father himself as an EARNEST of his very own self same Holy Spirit. Know you not that you are the temple of GOD, and that the Holy Spirit of God DWELLS IN you?)
17. Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it sees HIM not, neither knows HIM: but you know HIM; for HE dwells with you, and shall be IN you. (speaking of the day of Pentecost and every day since that day where a believer RECEIVES the INDWELLING of the Holy Spirit of Almighty God the Father)
Jesus taught us that that it was the Father's will the sent him that we must HONOR the SON EVEN As we HONOR the Father. Again we ONLY see the TWO, Almighty God the Father and his SON Jesus. Please read John 5:18-27
“Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the Sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself EQUAL with God. (Jesus never once said that he was THE ALMIGHTY God, nor did Jesus ever say or try and make himself EQUAL with HIS God and Father the ON TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God. You see this was just the Jews FALSELY ACCUSING Jesus of making himself equal with God because he called God his Father. These same Jews ALSO FALSELY ACCUSED Jesus of having a DEVIL, but we do NOT even remotely give heed to this false accusation against Jesus. I the following verse we see Jesus making a defense that he is NOT making himself equal with God as the Jews are accusing him of doing.)
19. Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The SON can do NOTHING OF HIMSELF, but what he sees the Father do: for what things soever he does, these also does the Son likewise.
20. For the Father loves the Son, and shows him all things that himself does (through a vision or a dream or through the voice of the Holy Spirit of the Father within him the Son sees and simply obeys what he see and hears the Father doing or saying through the voice of the Holy Spirit): and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel .
23. That all men should honor the SON, EVEN AS they honor the Father. He that honors NOT the SON honors NOT the Father which has SENT him. (again we must believe in BOTH the Father AND the SON and is e do NOT honor the SON then we do NOT honor the Father)
26. For AS the Father has life in himself (or in the SAME WAY that Almighty God the Father possesses IMMORTALITY); so has he GIVEN TO the Son to have life IN himself (or Almighty God the Father who ALONE has always possessed IMMORTALITY has now HIGHLY EXALTED his SON Jesus to be a God to sit by his side and rule and has GIVEN his SON Jesus ETERNAL LIFE to BECOME and IMMORTAL being like HIS God and Father);
27. AND has GIVEN him authority to execute judgment ALSO, BECAUSE he is the Son of MAN.”
NOT because Jesus was FULLY THE ALMIGHTY God in the flesh, and NOT because Jesus was even the SON of Almighty God. But rather Almighty God HIGHLY EXALTED his SON Jesus was BECAUSE he was the Son of MAN who OVER CAME the enemy to clear his Father's NAME that was being falsely accused of creating Lucifer as an evil rebellious being and it was not Lucifer's fault for trying to take over the very throne of Almighty God. Please read the study called “UNDERSTANDING WHY?” for a deeper understanding of the BIG picture of WHY God made Jesus to be a little LOWER of inferior than the angels only to later highly exalt him and us to be over and judge the angels? And WHY an ALL MIGHTY and MOST high God needed to keep his plan of salvation a SECRET? And WHY God binds Satan for a 1000 years only to let him LOOSE again to deceive the nations one last time? But for now let us get back to the study at hand.
In the passage of scripture above we learned that Almighty God GAVE his SON Jesus ETERNAL LIFE, which ALONE should be enough evidence that Jesus was NOT fully THE ALMIGHTY God in the flesh. I mean IF this were TRUE, then WHY would an ALMIGHTY God who has ALWAYS BEEN and IMMORTAL being need to be GIVEN immortality.
Please read 1 Timothy 6:16 where were clearly and plainly see that the ALMIGHTY SOVEREIGN God ALONE has IMMORTALITY and this ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God is INVISIBLE which NO man can ever SEE.
1 Timothy 6:14-16
15. Which in his times (speaking of the first and second comings of Jesus) he shall show, who is the blessed and ONLY Potentate, (or Jesus came to SHOW us the FATHER who IS the ONLY ALMIGHTY SUPREME and SOVEREIGN God) the King of kings, and Lord of lords;
The Bible teaches us that Almighty God is INVISIBLE and that NO man has SEEN GOD. But men have SEEN Jesus who is the EXPRESS IMAGE OF the INVISIBLE God. The word of TRUTH teaches us that God is a SPIRIT, whom we just learned ONLY has IMMORTALITY. The Bible also teaches us that the SPIRIT is ETERNAL. So then, seeing that Almighty God the Father is a SPIRIT that ONLY is IMMORTAL or ETERNAL, then the only conclusion that I myself can draw is that the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God who is an INVISIBLE SPIRIT IS the ETERNAL SPIRIT who DWELT IN the Son of MAN Jesus, the only begotten SON of Almighty God the FATHER.
So to ME, I myself only see that the Bible teaches of of TWO that we must believe in in order to receive eternal life in the world to come.
Almighty God was WITH the people of Israel in the days of the flesh of Jesus because Almighty the Father HIMSELF was DWELLING IN his SON Jesus. And Almighty God is WITH us today in that God is FOR us and also Almighty God HIMSELF is DWELLING IN us who are BELIEVERS in the SON OF Almighty God. Please read 1 John 4:6-16, which clearly teaches us that if we believe that Jesus is the SON of Almighty God, then Almighty God HIMSELF DWELLS IN us.
13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and HE IN US, BECAUSE he (Almighty God the Father) has GIVEN us of his Spirit. (this verse along with many others verse clearly teaches us that Almighty God and the Holy Spirit are ONE and the SELF SAME BEING. So we have Almighty God the FATHER who IS the Holy Spirit and we have God's SON Jesus.)
15. Whosoever shall CONFESS that Jesus is the SON of God, God DWELLS IN him, and he in God. (No where in the word of TRUTH, the Holy Bible, have I myself ever found that we are commanded or taught to CONFESS or BELIEVE that Jesus HIMSELF IS THE ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God. But here we are CLEARLY and PLAINLY taught to believe and CONFESS that Jesus is the SON of Almighty God the Father.)
And if so be that God is IN US, then most assuredly God is WITH us.
So to ME, neither Matthew 1:23 nor Isaiah 7:6 prove that Almighty God is a “TRINITY”. Please read the study called “WHO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT?” for a deeper understanding that Almighty God the Father, who is a SPIRIT and who ONLY has IMMORTALITY is HIMSELF the ETERNAL Holy Spirit. Therefore there are actually only TWO persons that we are to believe in in order to obtain eternal life in the world to come. The whole doctrine of the trinity is of PAGAN origin and was MIXED with Christianity in the third century and took several hundred years to develop to what it is today under much opposition by other faithful believers. Please read the “ORIGIN OF THE TRINITY”.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God. Below are some other verses that are used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity and the deity of Jesus. There may be other verses which you may be having trouble seeing any other way than what you were dogmatically taught over and over for so long, but I assure you that each and every verse used by those who teach the doctrine of the trinity does indeed have a different meaning that does NOT CONTRADICT any other part of God's word. If there is a verse that I have not listed please do not hesitate to write and let me know. Some verse are included in others studies and they may not appear as an individual study.If there is a verse of verses that you seem to struggle with only being able to see the doctrine of the trinity when you read this verse, then please search out the truth be listening to the other side of the controversy. No one can arrive at the truth by hearing only ONE side of the controversy. I only present you with ALL the evidence that I myself have found and leave it to you to decide what you want to believe.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE
Verses used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus the CHRIST.
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE