John 5:18 - Making himself equal with God.
Does John 5:18, where that Jews sought to kill Jesus probably by picking up stones to stone Jesus for saying that Almighty God was his Father, which they interpreted as Jesus making himself EQUAL with Almighty God the Father actually MEAN that Jesus was indeed MAKING HIMSELF EQUAL with his God and Father?
I mean just because the JEWS made the ACCUSATION that Jesus was making himself EQUAL with Almighty God because they heard Jesus say MY FATHER works hitherto and I work, and that the Jews wanted to KILL Jesus, then some Christians DOGMATICALLY teach that this means that Jesus IS Almighty God and EQUAL with Almighty God the Father in every way.
But is this truly what the WHOLE word of God teaches us? Please keep in mind that some of these same Jews ALSO FALSELY ACCUSED Jesus of having a DEVIL in John Chapter 10, which will will look at after we read John 5:18 when it is KEPT in it's CONTEXT.
To ME, it seem that some Christians have been taught the man made doctrine of the trinity for so long it is hard for them to see anything else and they argue and say something like, “If John 5:18 does NOT mean that Jesus was making himself EQUAL with Almighty God, then WHY did the Jews want to KILL him?”, or “If Jesus was NOT saying that he was THE I AM, then WHY did the Jews pick up stones to stone him?”
This is a very common argument used a number of times, because there where other times as well that the Jews wanted to stone Jesus. Let us take a CLOSE look at John 5:17,18, which is one of the most common passages of scripture used by those who teach the doctrine of the trinity to say that Jesus is EQUAL with Almighty God the Father.
18. Therefore (or for this reason that Jesus said MY Father works hitherto, and I work, then) the Jews sought the more to KILL him, because he not only had broken the Sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself EQUAL with God.”
Now those that teach the doctrine of the trinity argue that Jesus did indeed make himself EQUAL with Almighty God the Father, because the Jews knew right well that Jesus was saying that he was EQUAL with Almighty God his Father. And we know this because the Jews wanted to KILL him. And those who teach the doctrine of the trinity try to further support their argument by claiming ALSO that Jesus never DENIED that he was EQUAL with Almighty God the Father so therefore this MUST be what this verse means without fail.
But the TRUTH of the matter is that the Jews wanted to KILL Jesus BEFORE Jesus said that God was his Father. Please read the CONTEXT of verse 18, where you will see that the Jews wanted to KILL Jesus for supposedly breaking the Sabbath day. And you will ALSO see that Jesus did INDEED defend himself as well and was NOT making himself to be God nor equal with his God and Father the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God.
Here is John 5:15-32, which is the CONTEXT of verse 18.
16. And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to SLAY him, because he had done these things ON the Sabbath day. (Here again we see the Jews wanted to KILL Jesus, but this time it was because to them Jesus SUPPOSEDLY broke the Sabbath day, at least in the eyes of the Pharisees, when Jesus healed a man BY the Holy Spirit of Almighty God the Father ON the Sabbath day.)
17. BUT Jesus answered them, My Father WORKS hitherto, and I work. (In other words, Jesus is saying BUT I am ONLY OBEYING what my Father is SHOWING me to DO. Further down in this study you will understand that this means that the Father through his Holy Spirit was showing Jesus what to do and when to do it and Jesus simply OBEYED the leading of the Holy Spirit. In simple words, Jesus was saying I am only doing what Almighty God my Father told me to do.)
18. Therefore (or for this REASON) the JEWS sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the Sabbath, but said ALSO that God was his Father, making himself equal with God. (In other words, the JEWS incorrectly interpreted the words of Jesus and FALSELY ACCUSED Jesus of making himself EQUAL to Almighty God. But as you will plainly see as you continue to read the CONTEXT that Jesus ANSWERED in his DEFENSE the FOLLOWING)
19. Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do NOTHING OF HIMSELF, but what he sees the Father do: for what things soever he does, these also does the Son likewise. (In other words, Jesus is saying, I am NOT making myself EQUAL with my God and Father, because the SON can do NOTHING OF HIMSELF. But I must OBEY my God and Father to DO what ever my Father is DOING. That is to say, what ever Jesus the Son of MAN saw in a dream or a vision or in the written word of God and whatever Jesus heard the Father say to do by the inward voice of the Holy Spirit, then Jesus simply OBEYED what he knew that the Father was telling him to do. This is what Jesus meant when he said his Father was WORKING on the Sabbath day, and so I also must work the same works that I see my father doing. Now to ME, this DEFENSE that Jesus makes right after the Jews FALSELY ACCUSE him of making himself EQUAL with God clearly teaches us that Jesus was in NO WAY claiming to be the great I AM nor was Jesus making himself to be EQUAL with Almighty God the Father, because Jesus HIMSELF clearly and plain said that the SON can do NOTHING OF HIMSELF. Further on you will learn that it was the Father DWELLING IN Jesus the SON who actually did the WORKS that the SON could NOT do OF HIMSELF.)
23. That (or so that) all men should HONOR the Son, EVEN AS they HONOR the Father. He that honors NOT the Son honors NOT the Father which has SENT him. (In other words, the Bible teaches us that we must believe and have BOTH the Father AND the SON in order to have ETERNAL LIFE in the world to come. But yet the doctrine of the trinity wants us to believe that Jesus IS the I AM as in ONE and the SAME BEING as the I AM. Yes there is absolutely no doubt that Jesus came OUT FROM the one true and only ALMIGHTY God. But this by no means that Jesus IS the one true and ONLY ALMIGHTY God. You see, THE ALMIGHTY God has NO beginning and has NOT been BEGOTTEN, but Jesus the SON OF Almighty God was BEGOTTEN or brought into existence. Yes, there is no doubt that Jesus came OUT FROM Almighty God by or through the spoken WORD of Almighty God. You see God said, “I AM THAT I AM”, which LITERALLY mean that Almighty God said “I SHALL BECOME who I am BECOMING”, which could very well be interpreted that Almighty God HIMSELF literally BECAME a HUMAN BEING. But in the light of the WHOLE word of God we understand the God created all things by his very own spoken WORD. So AGAIN please read “A TRINITARIAN DILEMMA-PHILIPPIANS 2:6” where the Word laid aside all the divine advantages that he had when the Word BECAME FLESH a HUMAN BEING and dwelt among us.)
24. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that hears my word, and believes on him that SENT me, has everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. (All through the New Testament we see TWO in whom that we taught to believe in, Almighty God the Father AND the SON Jesus. Please read the study “IS THE HOLY SPIRIT a PERSON?” for a deeper understanding that the ETERNAL SPIRIT IS Almighty God the Father HIMSELF who is a SPIRIT.)
25. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. (Jesus has the POWER to raise the dead, because the God OF Jesus GAVE his Son this authority, which you will clearly see in the context of this verse that follows.)
26. For (or BECAUSE) AS the Father has life IN himself; SO has he GIVEN to the Son to have life IN himself; (in other words, Jesus the SON did NOT always eternally exist with or by the side of his God and Father from all eternity past except in the mind and plan of Almighty God. Every thing that Jesus is of has was GIVEN TO him BY his God and Father the one true and only ALMIGHTY God.)
27. And has GIVEN him authority to execute judgment ALSO, BECAUSE he is the Son of MAN. (In other words, all that Jesus was GIVEN TO him BY his God and Father was NOT because Jesus IS THE Almighty God, NOR was it because Jesus was the SON OF GOD, but rather the REASON that Jesus was HIGHLY EXALTED and GIVEN NAME above all name is BECAUSE Jesus is the Son of MAN.)
28. Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, (Again, all that Jesus is and all that Jesus has INCLUDING IMMORTAL LIFE and the AUTHORITY to raise the dead and give to whom so ever Jesus wills was GIVEN TO him BY HIS God and Father the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God. Remember that Almighty God said I AM THAT I AM, or I will BE what I will BE, or I shall BECOME what or who I am BECOMING. The WORD BECAME a HUMAN BEING so that Almighty God HIMSELF could DWELL IN this body of FLESH that he created for himself to dwell in, which was the SON OF Almighty God the Father. Jesus was GIVEN all POWER to raise the dead and JUDGMENT to give ETERNAL LIFE to whom so ever he wills, BECAUSE Jesus was the Son of MAN and NOT because Jesus was FULLY God, nor because Jesus was the SON of God, but rather BECAUSE that Jesus was the Son of MAN a HUMAN BEING that OVERCAME the enemy BY the Holy Spirit of Almighty God the DWELT IN Jesus. This is what the WHOLE word of God clearly teaches us.)
30. I can OF MY OWN SELF DO NOTHING: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek NOT mine OWN will, BUT the will of the Father which has SENT me. (Now in all honesty does this sound like Jesus is saying that he himself is the great I AM or that Jesus is saying that he is EQUAL to Almighty God the Father? Absolutely NOT! Jesus himself clearly and plainly said with absolutely NO interpretation needed that he could do NOTHING in and of himself. Can you not see my dear brothers and sisters, in our Lord Jesus Christ, that IF Jesus were TRULY the Almighty God himself or even EQUAL with Almighty God, then Jesus would have never said that he could do NOTHING of HIMSELF.)
So here in this passage of scripture we see that it was the Jews who wanted to kill Jesus BEFORE these Jews FALSELY ACCUSED Jesus of making himself EQUAL with Almighty God his God and Father because they incorrectly interpreted the words of Jesus who simply said that God was his Father.
The truth of the matter is that the Jews just wanted to KILL Jesus for ANY reason. For you see, in the very next chapter in John chapter 9 right after the Jews picked up some stones to KILL him for simply saying that God was his FATHER we see Jesus healing another man on the Sabbath day and the Jews once again FALSELY ACCUSED Jesus. Only this time the Jews falsely ACCUSED Jesus of being a SINNER. Please read John 9:16, where Jesus is NOW being FALSELY accused of not even being a man of God and a SINNER on top of that.
Wow! From one extreme to the other with the FALSE ACCUSATIONS. First these Jews FALSELY accuse Jesus of making himself EQUAL with God and NOW they are accusing Jesus of not even being a man of God and a SINNER all because Jesus healed a man on the Sabbath day. The truth of the matters is that the SOME of the Jews simply wanted Jesus DEAD and out of the way, because Jesus was drawing followers to himself and was making the Pharisees look like hypocrites.
“Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is NOT of God, because he keeps not the Sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a SINNER do such miracles? And there was a DIVISION among them.”
So SOME believed that Jesus was a SINNER and other wondered HOW could a man do such mighty works if indeed he was a SINNER. So in TRUTH they did not know for sure who Jesus was, but some of the LEADERS threatened that if any Jew calls Jesus the CHRIST, then they will be thrown out of the synagogue. A little further on in John 9:30-38 we see that Jesus openly says that he IS the SON of God.
“The man (referring to the blind man from birth who was healed) answered and said unto them (the Jews), Why herein is a marvelous thing, that you know not from whence he is, and yet he has opened mine eyes. (In other words, the blind man who was healed finds it funny so to speak that these wise Jewish scholars cannot see the evidence that is right in front of their faces that proves without a doubt that this man Jesus is FROM Almighty God and that God is WITH him or else HOW could this man Jesus DO such a marvelous thing as heal a blind man who was born blind? The man who was healed goes on to say to these so called wise Jews)
33. IF this MAN were NOT OF God, he could do nothing. (But here I am, a man who was BORN BLIND and yet this MAN has HEALED me and now I SEE. So clearly to me this MAN Jesus is INDEED from God and God is WITH him or else he could do NOTHING and I would still be blind. DUH, even a sinner like me can see that Almighty God is WITH this MAN Jesus who HEALED me, so why cannot you see this truth?)
34. They answered and said unto him, You were altogether born in sins, and do you teach us? And they cast him out. (this shows us how PRIDEFUL the Jewish leaders were and why they could not see that Almighty God was WITH Jesus. At least SOME of them could not or would not humble themselves to see the truth.)
35. Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Do you believe on the SON of God? (please notice that Jesus asked a very specific question which was, Do you believe on the SON OF God, and NOT, Do you believe that I AM Almighty God, nor Do you believe that I am EQUAL with Almighty God, but rather, Do you believe on the SON OF God?)
So then this man who had just been healed by this MAN Jesus was now being asked by the MAN that he knew had just healed him if he believed in the SON OF God? And the man who was healed answered the MAN who just healed him WHO is that one who is the SON OF God. And Jesus said I AM HE. And the man who was healed answered the MAN who healed him, YES master I BELIEVE that YOU are the SON OF God.
Now some of you who are reading this study in God's word may have been cast out of a church for NOT believing the false doctrines that they teach. If this is you, be of good cheer for Jesus knows that you have held fast to his word of TRUTH just as this man who was born blind held fast to the truth that he KNEW that IF God was NOT with this MAN who just healed him then he would NOT be healed, because God does not hear the prayer of a SINNER to heal another.
And Jesus knows also those of you who are truly seeking to know the truth so I assure you that as you CONTINUE in God's word you will come to know the TRUTH and the truth will make you free.
You see, the MORE that you see the TRUTH that Jesus was a MAN who was ANOINTED with the Holy Spirit of his God and Father, then the more you will walk in the steps of Jesus knowing that since Jesus, being a MAN, overcame sin BY or THROUGH the Holy Spirit of his God and Father that DWELT IN him, then you will know also that this SAME Holy Spirit now DWELLS IN YOU to endue you with power from on high. This TRUTH will then increase your FAITH to do the SAME works that Jesus did as you CONTINUE to feed and meditate on this TRUTH to deposit it as a GOOD TREASURE deep within your HEART so that NO man can steal it from you with deceitful false teaching.
This is the main reason of why I write so many studies exposing the ERRORS of INTERPRETATION of the scriptures that have FALSELY conclude Jesus to be FULLY ALMIGHTY God HIMSELF in the flesh. For you see, because this false teaching of Jesus being The ALMIGHTY God HIMSELF some Christians are MISLEAD to then FALSELY conclude the ONLY Jesus can heal the sick and ONLY Jesus can live without sin. And therefore some Christian continue to live in sin, when they do not have to.
And also some Christians who have been mislead to falsely believe that ONLY Jesus can heal, because they truly believe that Jesus is THE ALMIGHTY God and this was the reason WHY Jesus was able to heal, then because of this misguided belief they fail to see that they themselves have been EMPOWERED to HEAL the sick. Some Christians do not even know whether or not it is God's will for THEM to be healed. And this is BECAUSE they have NOT been taught the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God and how God ANOINTED his SON Jesus to DO the works that God sent his SON to DO. They have NOT been taught the TRUTH that this verse SAME ANOINTING now DWELLS IN THEM as believers in Jesus as the SON of Almighty God the Father.
I also teach what I teach because I am thoroughly convinced that NO doctrine of the church that DRIVES people AWAY from God can possibly be a TRUE teaching of God's word of TRUTH. Yes, that is what I just said, the doctrine of the trinity has driven AWAY people from coming to God as well as has caused some Christians to be deceived by false teaches and be converted to another religion.
Now you may have never realized this before, but there are Christians who are now turning to ISLAM, because Muslims are EXPOSING some of these SAME ERRORS that I am exposing. But then these Muslims are adding to these truths in God's word like God is GREATER than Jesus their lies telling these weak Christians that ISLAM is closer to the truth than Christianity and that Muslims worship the SAME God of Abraham that the Jews and Christian worship. And in about five minutes times this innocent untaught Christian has been converted to ISLAM all BECAUSE that have not been taught the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God.
Also I have personally heard people say that they word believe in God IF it were NOT for the confusing and impossible to understand doctrine of three persons in one God and one God in three persons, and yet not three Gods, but three Gods in ONE God. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, three SEPARATE persons who are ALL God, but not three Gods, but three persons in ONE God. Seriously there are some who would indeed believe in God IF it were NOT for some of these doctrines of MEN who FALSELY teach that Jesus is THE ALMIGHTY God who was also a MAN at the SAME time according to these man made doctrines of the Roman Catholic church, which were kept by SOME Protestants who broke away from the Roman Catholic church because of OTHER false teachings.
One of the principle teachings of the man made doctrine of the trinity is that Jesus is CO EQUAL with Almighty God the Father meaning that Jesus is EQUAL with the Father is every way where neither is GREATER than nor LESS than the other.
This is WHY they try so hard to force verse like John 5:18 to DOGMATICALLY mean without fail that Jesus was making himself EQUAL with his Father, for without at least some scriptural SUPPORT for their man made doctrine, then they must admit that it is a FALSE teaching.
And HOW could the Roman Catholic church and other main stream Protestant churches humble themselves to admit that they CORE doctrine of the Roman Catholic church that was carried over into many Protestant Churches is a FALSE teaching after threatening Christians that they would be ACCURSED by God or that Christians are NOT SAVED if they did NOT believe that Almighty God is a "TRINITY" and that Jesus IS THE Almighty God HIMSELF and also a MAN at the SAME time.
This man made doctrine has NOTHING whatsoever to do with whether or not a person is SAVED or not. These is not one single verse in the whole word of Almighty God where we are taught that we MUST believe that Almighty God is a "TRINITY" in order to be saved and receive eternal life in the world to come.
Now some of you may be want to argue and say, What about John 8:24. which says,
“I said therefore unto you, that you shall DIE in your SINS: for if you believe NOT that I am he, you shall DIE in your SINS.”
Now as I have said many times that ANY verse when it is taken OUT of CONTEXT and it is viewed ALONE and APART from the REST of God's word, then that verse may SEEM to be saying something that it is NOT TRULY saying. Particularly when you have been DOGMATICALLY taught over and over that this is what that verse means and that it is the ONLY thing that it can mean.
Those who teach the doctrine of the trinity INTERPRET this verse to DOGMATICALLY mean that Jesus is saying that we MUST believe that Jesus IS THE I AM THAT I AM, because Jesus himself said that IF you do NOT believe that I AM, then you shall DIE in you SINS. You will NOT be SAVED unless you believe that Jesus IS THE I AM, the one true and only ALMIGHTY God. They argue that the "he" is NOT in the original Greek text, which is true in a SENSE.
Let me explain what I mean by this. It is true that the actual word "he"is NOT in the original Greek text, BUT it the pronoun use is UNDERSTOOD by those who understand the Greek language. For example we read in Matthew 24:9-13 where Jesus is speaking to BELIEVERS and begins by actually saying the pronoun "YOU", but then in the rest of his teaching the pronoun "YOU" is UNDERSTOOD by the read who UNDERSTANDS the English language.
“Then shall they deliver YOU (speaking TO believers) up to be afflicted, and shall kill YOU: and YOU shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
13. But he (of YOU who BELIEVE in me) that shall endure unto the end, the same (or YOU who BELIEVE unto the end) shall be saved.”
Now the pronoun “YOU” is NOT actually in the ENGLISH text in any of these verse except for the first verse, BUT the pronoun “YOU”is CLEARLY UNDERSTOOD even though it is not ACTUALLY in the English text. So in the SAME way those who UNDERSTAND the Greek language ADD these pronouns and even other words to CLARIFY the actual meaning of the whole CONTEXT of what is being said.
The first rule to CORRECTLY interpret what a verse is TRULY saying is to KEEP that verse in question IN the CONTEXT of where it is found. So then, let us now read John 8:24 being LEFT in the CONTEXT of where it is found n order to see what this verse is TRULY teaching us.
Please read John 8:12-59, the CONTEXT of verse 24, keeping in mind that Jesus and the Father are TWO different and SEPARATE individual persons or beings. Remember that the doctrine of the trinity states that Jesus is NOT the Father and the Father is NOT Jesus. But I also want you to see that only TWO are being spoken of rather than THREE. Now I realize that this is a long passage of scripture, but CONTEXT is vital if you desire the TRUTH.
14. Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but you cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go.
15. You judge after the flesh; I judge no man.
16. And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am NOT ALONE, but I AND the Father that SENT me. (again TWO rather the THREE or a trinity)
17. It is also written in your law, that the testimony of TWO men is true. (Jesus plainly states that there are TWO that bear witness all the way through this entire passage of scripture, which teaches us that Jesus is NOT saying that he himself is THE ALMIGHTY God the great I AM, who alone is the FATHER. In other words, IF Jesus was truly saying that he himself IS the I AM, then Jesus would be saying that he is the FATHER himself and there would be only ONE bearing witness. But Jesus said that he was NOT ALONE and that the Father was WITH him bearing witness of his SON Jesus)
19. Then said they unto him, Where is your Father? Jesus answered, You neither know me, nor my Father: if you had known me, you should have known my Father also. (here again we see Jesus speaking of TWO separate persons, himself and his Father.)
23. And he said unto them, You are from beneath; I am FROM above: you are of this world; I am NOT of this world. (meaning that you have an earthly father but I Jesus has a heavenly Father and I do my Father's will and you do your father's will.)
24. I said THEREFORE unto you (In verse 21), that you shall die in your sins: for if you believe NOT that I am HE, you shall die in your sins. (this verse 24 is the verse in question that is used by those who teach the doctrine of the trinity to DOGMATICALLY teach that if you do NOT believe that Jesus is saying that he is the great I AM, then you shall die in your sins and you shall NOT be saved, UNLESS you recant and believe that Jesus is THE ALMIGHTY God himself. Again they argue that word “he” is NOT in the original Greek. But as we have just learned the UNDERSTOOD pronoun “he” is indeed in the text much like the pronoun “you” is often left out of a particular sentence but the context clearly reveals to us that the subject under discussion is the UNDERSTOOD YOU. So in the same way the “HE” here is clearly UNDERSTOOD. This is why the translators added the word “he”, because those who understand the original Greek text clearly UNDERSTAND that the pronoun “he” is clearly UNDERSTOOD. But WHO is Jesus saying that he IS? We must read the CONTEXT and then COMPARE scripture with scripture in order to learn WHO Jesus is TRULY saying that he IS. So then, let us continue reading the CONTEXT.)
25. Then said they unto him, WHO ARE YOU?(In other words, the Jews were saying, I am he WHO? WHAT do you MEAN. when you say I AM HE? WHO are you saying that you are when you say I AM HE) And Jesus said unto them, Even the SAME that I said unto you from the BEGINNING (There is you answer to WHO Jesus was TRULY saying that he IS. Jesus is saying I am the SAME that I told you in the BEGINNING. So then, we need to go back to the BEGINNING of the ministry of Jesus in order to learn WHO Jesus is TRULY saying that he IS. We find in the Gospel of Luke chapter 4 that Jesus said that he was the ANOINTED ONE of Almighty God the Father that was SENT by the Father the preach the gospel of salvation. We will take a look at Luke chapter 4 in a moment, but first let us finish the CONTEXT to learn even MORE about WHO Jesus truly IS).
28. Then said Jesus unto them, When you have lifted up the Son of MAN, then shall you know that I am HE, and that I do NOTHING OF MYSELF; but as MY Father has taught me, I speak these things. (Now IF Jesus was truly saying in verse 24 that he HIMSELF is THE ALMIGHTY God, then there is NO WAY that Jesus would turn around a few verses later and say that he could do NOTHING OF HIMSELF. Think this through for YOURSELF my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ. WHY would and ALMIGHTY God say that he could do NOTHING OF HIMSELF? The answer is quite obvious when you truly stop and THINK. Jesus was never saying that he himself is THE I AM THAT I AM, the ALMIGHTY God. But rather Jesus was saying that he was the SAME one that he said to the Jews that he was in the beginning of his ministry to the Jews. Again we will take a look at Luke chapter 4 shortly)
29. And he that SENT me is WITH me: the Father has NOT left me ALONE; for I do always those things that please him. (again we see TWO separate persons, the Father and the SON. CLEARLY Jesus was NOT saying that he was THE I AM THAT I AM in verse 24, because the CONTEXT clearly teaches us that Almighty God the FATHER was WITH Jesus the SON and that Jesus was NOT ALONE, because the great I AM THAT I AM was WITH his SON Jesus.)
34. Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever commits sin is the servant of sin. (But he that CONTINUES in the words of Jesus shall KNOW the TRUTH and the TRUTH shall FREE them from the bondage of SIN and they will KNOW that sin has NO MORE DOMINION over them and that they cane live their lives FREE from any and all sin. Please read the study “HOW TO LIVE YOUR LIFE FREE FROM SIN!”)
38. I speak that which I have seen with my Father (speaking of what Jesus saw in a vision or a dream or in the written word of God as the Holy Spirit opened his eyes of understand and what Jesus heard the Holy Spirit WITHIN him saying to him): and you do that which you have seen with your father. (or what the devil tempts them to do)
39. They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus said unto them, If you were Abraham's children, you would do the works of Abraham. (speaking of works of righteousness and obeying Almighty God as Abraham obeyed God)
40. But now you seek to kill me, a MAN (and NOT that I AM THAT I AM, but rather Jesus was saying that he was a MAN) that has told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham. (In other words, Abraham did NOT have hate in his heart to want to KILL another MAN as these Jews had in their heart to want to KILL Jesus the Son of MAN that has told them the TRUTH. No IF Jesus was truly saying that he is THE ALMIGHTY God you can be assured that The Jews would have taken up stones right then and their and stoned Jesus to death. I mean it was bad enough that Jesus is saying that Almighty God is his FATHER. Remember back in John chapter 5 these Jews THOUGHT that Jesus was making himself EQUAL with God by simply saying that God was his FATHER and they were ready to KILL Jesus then. So IF Jesus was truly saying the he HIMSELF IS THE ALMIGHTY God there would be no doubt that the Jews would have killed Jesus as soon as he spoke those words, OR they would have walked away refusing to here another single word from Jesus, but yet the Jews did neither. Please keep reading to learn WHO Jesus is truly saying that he is.)
41. You do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God. (Here the Jews themselves call Almighty God their FATHER, so perhaps it was the AUTHORITY is which Jesus proclaimed to be the SON of Almighty God that set the Jew off on a quest to KILL Jesus)
42. Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, you would love me: for (or because) I proceeded FORTH and came FROM God;(the word 'PROCEEDED”here come from the Greek word “EK”, which means ORIGIN or the SOURCE from which Jesus came OUT FROM and was brought FORTH in to being) neither came I OF MYSELF, but HE SENT me. (So again we see that Jesus is NOT identifying himself as BEING the self same one who sent himself. Jesus is clearly teaching us that he was sent BY the great I AM THAT I AM, who is Almighty God.)
44. You are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father you will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
48. Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that you are a Samaritan, and have a DEVIL? (here we see the Jews FALSELY ACCUSING Jesus of having a DEVIL, but Jesus DEFENDS himself in the following verses)
50. And I seek NOT mine OWN glory: there is one that seeks and judges.(Here we see that Jesus does not honor himself, but rather Jesus honors his Father. So again we see two separate persons. And we see that Jesus seek NOT his OWN glory, which teaches us that Jesus had his OWN WILL, but that he chose to conform his own will to do the will of his Father.)
54. Jesus answered, If I honor MYSELF, my honor is nothing: it is MY Father that honors me (again please notice again that Jesus is speaking of his Father as being a SEPARATE person from himself that HONORS his SON); of whom you say, that he is your God:
56. Your father Abraham rejoiced to see MY DAY: and he saw it, and was glad. (HOW did Abraham see the DAY of the Messiah, when the Messiah had NOT YET COME? Remember that the prophets desired to look into the salvation that we now have. See 1 Peter 1:9-12)
58. Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, (or Truly truly) I say unto you, BEFORE Abraham was, I am. (Again Jesus was NOT saying that he himself is the I AM THAT I AM, the ALMIGHTY God. But rather Jesus is saying that BEFORE Abraham was ever born I the MESSIAH, the ANOINTED ONE of Almighty God the Father, WAS the LAMB that Almighty God had prepared in his mind and plan to one day bring forth into the earth to redeem mankind. And IF you do NOT believe that I am HE then you shall DIE in your SINS. This is what Jesus is truly saying in this ENTIRE CONTEXT)
59. Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by. (The Jews took up stones to KILL Jesus, BECAUSE Jesus was teaching the the TRUTH that he was the MESSIAH and that he was the SON of the living God)”
Now that you have noticed that Jesus was NOT ALONE, but rather that the Father was always WITH his SON Jesus it should become clear to you that Jesus was NOT saying that he is the great I AM, but rather Jesus was saying that BEFORE Abraham was ever born Almighty God thought to have a SON, and Jesus was saying, I am that Son of the living God. Jesus was also saying that he was THE CHRIST, the MESSIAH, the ANOINTED ONE that was PROPHESIED to come.
Remember in John 5:33-47 that Jesus said to the Jews that they search the scriptures to find eternal life, and then Jesus said the SCRIPTURES they The very WORD of Almighty God testifies of ME. Jesus was basically saying to the Jews at that time the same thing that he was telling them from the beginning of his ministry and all along that I an HE that was the PROPHESIED one that was to come. Almighty God himself has SENT ME to you to show you the Father.
Here is John 5:33-47, which AGAIN clearly shows us that Almighty God was WITH his SON Jesus performing his word with SIGNS and WONDERS bearing WITNESS that Almighty God was DWELLING IN his Son Jesus. No where in the word of TRUTH do we find that Jesus claimed to be THE Almighty God himself, but rather we do find all over the New Testament that Almighty God through his Holy Spirit DWELT IN his Son Jesus to DO the mighty works through the human hands of his Son.
36. But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father has given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father has sent me. (remember that Jesus also said that he could do NOTHING OF HIMSELF and that the works were done by the Father that DWELT IN him by the Holy Spirit OF Almighty God. Also remember that Almighty God the Father IS SPIRIT. In other words the Holy Spirit OF almighty God and Almighty God himself the great I AM THAT I AM are ONE and the SAME being. But Jesus is the SON OF Almighty God the great I AM THAT I AM and is a SEPARATE being or person from Almighty God the Father, who came OUT FROM God being brought forth into existence. So again we see only TWO and not THREE as the doctrine of the trinity teaches.)
39. Search the scriptures; for in them you think you have eternal life: and THEY are THEY which TESTIFY of ME. (This is HOW Abraham SAW the DAY of Jesus the COMING Messiah. Again see 1 Peter 1:9-12. Also keep in mind that the New Testament is NOT a LIVE broadcast, so to speak, but rather it was written after the fact and the writer sometimes INCLUDED things that happened after the resurrection of Jesus is some of these narratives even though at that time the resurrection had not actually taken place as yet. What I mean by this is that Abraham rose from the grave WITH Jesus and the other Old Testament saints and this was another way that Abraham SAW the DAY of Jesus. Please read the study “WHAT AND WHERE IS PARADISE?” for a deeper understanding of how Jesus PREACHED the gospel of SALVATION to the spirits of the Old Testament saints when Jesus first descended into the lower parts of the earth for three full days and three full nights.)
43. I am come in my Father's NAME, (remember that the NAME of Jesus means Yehweh SAVES or the SALVATION of Yehweh) and you receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him you will receive (just as a side note, I believe that this verse may very well be prophesying the coming of Muhammad, which the seed of Abraham in the lineage of Ishmael received. Please read the study “COULD ISLAM BE THE MARK OF THE BEAST?”).
We also read that the LAMB was slain BEFORE the foundation of the world, but in all actuality the LAMB or Jesus was slain ONLY in the MIND and PLAN of God. And what God THOUGHT to BE God then SPOKE forth in his word of PROPHECY that was yet to come. But in TRUTH Almighty God SHALL BECOME, what or who God IS BECOMING as soon as God SPEAKS forth his THOUGHTS or plan in the form of his WORD. I AM THAT I AM.
I know we have gotten a little off track so let us get back to the focus of this study, which is to learn the truth of whether or not Jesus was making himself EQUAL with Almighty God the Father.
Please read John 10:29,30 where Jesus say that the Father is GREATER than ALL right before Jesus says, I and my Father are ONE.
Now we know that Jesus was INCLUDING himself in the ALL here for two reasons. This first reasons that those that the Father gave his Son were in the hands of the Son to keep, but rather than say, and no man can take them out of MY hand, Jesus gave ALL the glory to his God and Father saying that his Father is GREATER than ALL so even though those whom my Father gave me are in my hands I place them back into my Father's hands, because that Father is GREATER than me.
If you do not believe that Jesus is including himself in the ALL in which the Father is GREATER, then please read John 14:28, which CLEARLY and PLAINLY spells it out for you.
So then, since Jesus HIMSELF clearly and plainly says that the Father is GREATER than himself, Then HOW is it that some Christians DOGMATICALLY teach that John 5:18 means without fail that Jesus is making himself EQUAL with God. I mean if this were TRUE, then to ME, Jesus would be LYING where he PLAINLY said that the Father is GREATER than I. There is simply NO WAY for two to be EQUAL with each other and ALSO at the same time for one to be GREATER than the other.
The TRUTH of the matter is that the JEWS are FALSELY ACCUSING Jesus of making himself equal with his God and Father the Almighty God. Even the very word “ALMIGHTY” prove that the Father is THE GOD who is OVER ALL or is GREATER than ALL the other gods.
Well some may still wan to argue ans say what about Philippians 2:6 where Jesus thought it not ROBBERY to be EQUAL with God. The TRUTH of the matter is that some Christians do not understand the King James Version of the Bible. Jesus is actually saying that the THOUGHT of ROBBERY EQUALITY from God did NOT ever enter his mind. Please read the study “Philippians 2:6 – A TRINITARINA DELIMMA!” for a deeper understand that Jesus stripped himself of all his divine power and nature to become a HUMAN BEING.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God. Below are some other verses that are used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity and the deity of Jesus. There may be other verses which you may be having trouble seeing any other way than what you were dogmatically taught over and over for so long, but I assure you that each and every verse used by those who teach the doctrine of the trinity does indeed have a different meaning that does NOT CONTRADICT any other part of God's word. If there is a verse that I have not listed please do not hesitate to write and let me know. Some verse are included in others studies and they may not appear as an individual study.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE
Verses used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus the CHRIST.
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE