JOHN 20:28 – MY LORD AND MY GOD!
This verse here in John 20:28 is used by BOTH the oneness believers, who teach that Jesus is the FATHER, as in, Jesus is one and the self same divine eternal being as the FATHER, and it is also by trinity believers as well to try and prove that Jesus is the one true and only Almighty God himself in the flesh having two natures, one divine and the other human.
So then, this highly controversial Controversial verse here in John 20:28 raises the following questions :
Does John 20:28 where Thomas says these words "My Lord and my God" to Jesus in repentance for not believing the other disciples that Jesus arose from the dead and then appeared to them in the upper room to show himself alive from the dead when Thomas was not there to see Jesus for himself prove beyond an shadow of a doubt that Almighty God is a "TRINITY"? In other words, do these words that Thomas spoke to Jesus saying "My Lord and my God" prove that Jesus IS THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY ALMIGHTY God himself?
And if not, then WHAT do these words of Thomas truly mean?
These are the questions that we will be examining in this study in God's word of truth, the Holy Bible. Let us begin this study in God's word by me saying what I have said many times.
ANY verse when taken OUT of CONTEXT and viewed ALONE and APART from the REST of God's word may SEEM to be saying something that it is NOT TRULY saying. And at times certain BIAS meanings are read INTO verses to try and support a preconceived belief rather than allowing the scriptures to tell us what they truly mean in the LIGHT of the WHOLE word of God.
One of the first rules of correctly INTERPRETING the scriptures is to KEEP the verse that is in question IN the CONTEXT of where it is found. in order to be able to correctly interpret that verse. In other words, it is necessary to read the verses before and after the verse in question to get a proper understanding of what that verse truly means.
Then another rule of correctly interpreting scriptures is to COMPARE scripture with scripture. What is meant by this is we need to read what OTHER similar verses are saying that are clearly understood having no need to be interpreted. This is also what is called allowing the scriptures to speak for themselves or let scripture interpret scripture.
And the final test to see whether or not you have arrived at the CORRECT interpretation is to compare your interpretation with the WHOLE word of Almighty God. In other words, IF the interpretation or the conclusion that you draw from any particular verse CONTRADICTS any other portion of God's word, then you do NOT have the CORRECT interpretation of what that verse TRULY means in the LIGHT of the WHOLE word of God.
You see my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ, whatever anyone SAYS or even DOGMATICALLY teaches that a particular verse means without fail does NOT make it to be the TRUTH just because they say so. Nearly every church denomination will tell you that they teach the truth and other church denominations have error in what they teach. But yet they all teach things that are different. So who is right and who is wrong? HOW can we truly KNOW who is teaching SOUND Biblical teaching? We must search the word of TRUTH, the Holy Bible, for OURSELVES in order to see if what we are being taught is the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God.
So then, as you read this study at hand or any of the Bible studies that I write, do NOT just merely take my word for it. Search the scriptures for YOURSELF so you can SEE for YOURSELF that what I am teaching you is the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God. Search the word of God daily to make absolutely sure that what you are being taught in indeed the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God the Father. This is a sound Biblical example set before us in the Bible to follow.
Please read Acts 17:10-13."And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither (or who coming there at Berea) went into the synagogue of the Jews.
11. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica,(HOW? How where these people in Berea more NOBLE than those people who were in Thessalonica?) IN THAT (or in this way they were more NOBLE because) they RECEIVED the word with all readiness of mind, AND (they also) SEARCHED the scriptures daily (for THEMSELVES in order to see for themselves directly for the word of God), whether those things were so.
12. THEREFORE (or for this very reason of seeing the TRUTH directly from God's word for THEMSELVES) many of them BELIEVED; also of honorable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.
13. BUT when the Jews of Thessalonica had knowledge that the word of God was preached of Paul at Berea, they came thither also, and STIRRED UP the people."
Here we have a perfect example of what Jesus taught us would happen in the parable of the sower sowing seed saying that if we did not know this parable, then HOW could we understand ANY parable? First Paul preaches God's word of TRUTH in Thessalonica where the WORD falls by the wayside and Satan comes immediately to steal the seed of God's word whereby the word of truth is NOT received at all resulting in unbelief and therefore those in Thessalonica who did NOT receive the word of truth remained dead in their sins by not believing on Jesus as the Christ, the SON OF the living God.
Then, Paul went to Berea where he again preached the word of TRUTH. And this time the word fell on GOOD ground and the word of truth was readily RECEIVED by those who heard the gospel of Jesus Christ. However they did not BLINDLY ACCEPT what was being taught to them, but rather they SEARCHED the word of Almighty God for THEMSELVES in order to prove whether or not they were being taught the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God. So then, when they did indeed SEE that what Paul was teaching them was SOUND Biblical teaching many BELIEVED.
But then, Satan comes along and tries to STEAL God's word of TRUTH from those dear baby Christians in Berea. You do know and realize that Satan uses people and even CHRISTIANS to try and STEAL the word of TRUTH that has just been sown in the hearts and minds of other Christians??? Well if not, then here is a perfect example of Satan using people to try and steal God's word from Christians before it has time to become thoroughly rooted and grounded in their hearts. In verse 13 we see that as soon as those in Thessalonica HEARD that the same word that was preach to them was also being preached in Berea they came to Berea to put a STOP to what they truly believed in their own heart was FALSE teaching and they STIRRED UP the people. This means that SOME began to DOUBT what they had just received and proved to themselves directly form God's word as to whether or not they were rightly dividing the word of truth. In other word.s they were INTIMIDATED by those DOGMATIC DEMANDING Jews putting FEAR in their hearts of those in Berea that they were being DECEIVED by FALSE teaching.
Now I ask you dear child of God, does this sound familiar to YOU? Have you ever even one time heard the TRUTH of God's word, received it with joy, believed it with all your heart and then some Christians comes along and sows seeds of DOUBT in your heart and you begin the QUESTION whether or not that which you already received reading God's word for yourself was true or not? Well if not get ready for this to happen to you, because just like Jesus said the Devil will come along and try to STEAL this word of TRUTH that I am teaching you in this in depth study in God's word. For example, when you begin to share your JOY of the TRUTH other CHRISTIANS who have not yet RECEIVED this TRUTH will INTIMIDATE you with FEAR saying things like; 'You best pray to God for spreading LIES of Satan and repent for believing that Jesus is NOT God the Son the second person of the divine holy TRINITY.' Or 'You best pray to God for spreading LIES of Satan and repent for NOT believing that Jesus is ONE and the self same divine eternal being as Almighty God the FATHER HIMSELF.'
Please keep in mind that many of you have been taught over and over and over again and again for so long about Almighty God being a "TRINITY", or doctrine of "ONENESS" that the Jesus is the "FATHER" and that Jesus HIMSELF IS THE ALMIGHTY God that it will be hard for you at first to see anything else other than what your particular church denomination has drilled into your minds. In other words, you may have been dogmatically taught for so long that these words of Thomas, "My Lord and my God" means without fail that Thomas is calling Jesus THE ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God in such a dogmatic demanding intimidating way saying things like; case closed end of discussion, or you need to pray and ask God for forgiveness for doubting his word, that it will be hard for some of you to lay that church denominational teaching aside for a moment to take an HONEST fresh new and DIFFERENT UNBIASED closer look at John 20:28.
What I mean by this is that only those of you who are TRULY seeking to know the TRUTH will indeed have an open mind to at least CONSIDER and PONDER a DIFFERENT interpretation of these words of Thomas, My Lord and my God." This is called RECEIVING the word of God giving the other side of the controversy the grace to be HEARD. But others of you reading this study may not be open to receive the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God, because your MOTIVE for being here is not right with God. To say this another way, some Christians search the Internet with the motive of trying to prove what their particular denomination teaches. And that is alright, but do it with a spirit to know ONLY the TRUTH, because it just may be that what you are searching to try and prove may very well be a FALSE teaching. So then, when one have the type of motive of ONLY trying to prove what their particular denomination has taught them are not truly open to receive anything that teaches differently than what their particular denomination teaches? All I am saying is give God's WORD top priority OVER what your particular church denomination is teaching you and be willing and reading to RECEIVE the word of Almighty God himself. And if so be that your church denomination is indeed teaching you the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God, then what they teach will agree COMPLETELY with what the Bible ITSELF teaches us. And what I myself mean by the Bible ITSELF is the WHOLE word of God and NOT just using verses taken OUT of CONTEXT to teach you a church doctrine.
If you have every paid any attention at all you will notice that ALL who teach FALSE doctrine only us SINGLE INDIVIDUAL verses of Scripture put together with other SINGLE INDIVIDUAL verses to teach what they teach. Yes they may use two or three verses together in a particular passage of Scripture, but they do NOT keep that verse IN the context of the ENTIRE PASSAGE of Scripture where it is found. Calvinism or Reformed Christianity, which teaches once saved always saved does this. Sabbath keeping churches, who teach that Christian must keep all the law of Moses in order to be saved, do this. Those who teach Preterism, who teach that the time of great tribulation has already been fulfilled in 70 AD do this. Universalism, which teaches that every single person and even the Devil will eventually ALL be saved does this. Oneness believers, who teach that Jesus IS the Father, in that, Jesus is the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God HIMSELF in the flesh as ONE God manifesting himself as the Son and as the Father at the same time do this. So it should be no surprise to you dear child of God that Trinitarians do this as well. If you have not noticed this, then go and read the articles written by trinitarians and take note of how they use only single individual verses connecting them together with other single individual verses and how they TELL you what they mean. In other words, they READ INTO those verses the meaning that their own specific church teaches those verse mean.
Those who teach the doctrine of the trinity MUST prove from God's WORD that Jesus is GOD. And NOT that Jesus is just GOD, but also that Jesus is THE ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God HIMSELF in the FLESH being FULLY THE God and fully a man at the SAME time having TWO natures; a DIVINE nature and a human nature to be able to die on the cross. Triniatrians MUST prove this beyond any shadow of a doubt in order for them to have SOUND BIBLICAL evidence to dogmatically say with BIBLICAL authority that they are teaching the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God.
This is why Trinitarians work so hard to TRY and prove that Jesus IS God, as in, Jesus IS the great I AM THAT I AM of the Old Testament. Thus they use every SINGLE INDIVIDUAL verse like John 20:28 that we are presenting studying, which SEEM to be saying that Jesus is GOD. Some of you may be saying or thinking, 'DUH!, Brother Mark this verse DOES say that Jesus IS GOD!'
Does it? Yes, the name or title of God or more specifically the tile of "THEOS" is indeed in the text, but this verse does not specifically state as clear undeniable fact that Jesus is THE God, as in, that Jesus is THE ONE true and ONLY Almighty God himself. In fact one INTERPRETATION of these word's of Thomas saying, "My Lord and my God" may mean that Thomas was repenting of his sin of unbelief to BOTH Jesus AND the Father. We will take a more in depth look at the possibility of this interpretation further on in this study, but for now I just want YOU the reader and seeker of the TRUTH to know HOW false teachings SEEM to be what the Bible itself teaches, but in TRUTH these false teachings only use PART of the Bible to DECEIVE Christians, who do not search the word of God for THEMSELVES to see if what they are being taught is the truth of the WHOLE word of God.
Also when you read those trintarian articles pay close attention to words or phrases like, "Now while the word trinity is not found in the Bible the trinity is indeed IMPLIED in the word of God." I cannot tell you how many times I have read phrases like this in trinitarian articles trying to prove their doctrine of the trinity. To ME this is like saying something like; "Well now the Bible itself does not specifically state that Jesus is EQUAL with God, but it is IMPLIED." So which is it? Is Jesus just EQUAL with God or is Jesus God HIMSELF?
OR is Jesus exactly what the clear, plain and SIMPLE word of TRUTH teaches us in SIMPLICITY that Jesus is "A" God who the Father highly exalted to BECOME a God, who is under and subject to HIS God and Father, who ALONE is the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God?
So then, with that being said let us now read the CONTEXT of John 20:28 by reading all of John chapter 20, which was three days after Jesus was crucified and laid in the tomb. I know that this is a lot of reading, but if you are TRULY seeking the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God, then it is necessary to read the ENTIRE CONTEXT to truly understand what these words of Thomas "My Lord and my God" mean when they are interpreted correctly in the light of the WHOLE word of Almighty God the Father.
“The first day of the week comes Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulcher, and sees the stone taken away from the sepulcher. (So Mary gets to the tomb of Jesus first and sees that the stone has been rolled away)
2. Then she runs, and comes to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple (speaking of John the beloved), whom Jesus loved, and said unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulcher, and we know not where they have laid him.
9. For (or because) as YET they knew NOT the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.(in other words, the disciples had not yet understood that Jesus was to be crucified for the sins of mankind and then arise from the dead after three days and three nights even though they heard Jesus tell them this a number of times.)
13. And they say unto her, Woman, why weep you? She said unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him. (Mary saw the empty tomb where the body of Jesus had been laid and her only thought at that moment in time was WHERE have they TAKEN my Lord)
14. And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew NOT that it was Jesus. (in other words, after Mary had seen the two angels and heard them speak to her, then Mary turned back to leave and saw a figure of another, supposing the he was the gardener, but this man was really Jesus only Mary was not expecting Jesus to be alive so she did not recognize this man as being Jesus)
15. Jesus said unto her, Woman, why weep you? Whom seek you? She, supposing him to be the gardener (keep in mind that Mary has been crying and your eyes may still be full of tears and she may not have been seeing clearly. Or it may be that Jesus purposely hid his true identity for some reason. Also we must keep in mind that Mary was not looking for Jesus to be ALIVE. Mary's mind was occupied looking for the missing BODY of Jesus.), said unto him, Sir, if you have borne him hence , tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away .
17. Jesus said unto her, Touch me NOT; (WHY? Why did Jesus say NOT to TOUCH him?) FOR (or BECAUSE) I am NOT YET ASCENDED (not yet ascended WHERE and why did Jesus even need to ascend?) to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to MY God, and your God. (A point to ponder is that IF SO BE that Thomas saying the words 'My Lord and my God' truly mean beyond any shadow of a doubt that Thomas is saying that Jesus is the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God HIMSELF, then WHY does does called Almighty God the Father HIS God saying, "MY God'? For you see dear child of God the one true and ONLY Almighty God is the most high God having NO other Gods OVER him. And here in this verse Jesus is saying that he himself has a God OVER him who is the FATHER.)
19. Then the same day at evening (This means that from just before sunrise to that same evening, which would have been around 12 hours Jesus ASCENDED to his God and Father up in heaven, presented his innocent shed blood, received his reward of eternal life and his new glorified immortal body of flesh and bones and then DESCENDED BACK to the earth to appear to his disciples to show himself alive forever more. We know this because in verse 17 we saw that Jesus said to Mary Magdalene, “Touch me NOT BECAUSE I have NOT YET ASCENDED to my God and your God, to my Father and your Father” and then in the verses to follow we see Jesus basically saying OK you can TOUCH me NOW, because I just got BACK from being with my God and my Father up in heaven and it really rocks up there), being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and said unto them, Peace be unto you. (From the other gospels we learn that the disciple THOUGHT that Jesus was a SPIRIT or a GHOST because they locked the door for FEAR of the Jews who had just had Jesus crucified a few days ago and Jesus just appeared in the room with the doors shut.)
21. Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: AS my Father has SENT me, even so send I you. (Here we can clearly see that the Father did NOT send his SON Jesus FROM heaven into the world, but rather Almighty God spoke forth his WORD and his WORD then BECAME or was MADE flesh in the womb of the virgin Mary to be BORN or brought into existence as a HUMAN being. And THEN when the child grew to be a man Almighty God filled his SON Jesus with his very own self same Holy Spirit when Jesus was baptized in order to ANOINT his SON Jesus to preach deliverance to those held captive by the devil. It was at this time when Jesus was ALREADY IN the world that his God and Father SENT his SON Jesus OUT into the world. And now Jesus sends US into the world to preach this same DELIVERANCE from those who are bounded and OPPRESSED BY Satan, the devil so that they can be set FREE and be SAVED. You see dear child of God we use the phrase "into the world" speaking about mankind and our intended meaning is OUT into the world. We read in many place where the Father SENT his Son INTO the world and some Christians read their own bias meaning into those verse dogmatically demanding that God sent his Son down from heaven INTO the world. But in truth the LITERAL meaning of the Greek word that is TRANSLATED as "SENT" mean "COMMISSIONED", which means to give power and authority to one to accomplish a task they were appointed to do. Jesus was GIVEN power through the Holy Spirit given to him by his God and Father when the Almighty God the Father ANOINTED his SON Jesus when he was baptized by John the baptist. and AS his God and Father baptized him with the Holy Spirit Jesus now baptizes us with POWER from on high with the eternal Holy Spirit of the Father.)
22. And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said unto them, Receive you the Holy Ghost: (Jesus promised that after he went to the Father that he would send us another comforter, which is the Holy Spirit of Almighty God the Father. Now I myself do not actually see that the disciples of Jesus received the Holy Spirit, in that, they were FILLED with the Holy Spirit at this point in time when Jesus breathed on them to receive the Holy Spirit. But rather they received the INDWELLING of the Holy Spirit like all believers do when they are born again, but they were not BAPTIZED or completely submersed in the presence of the Holy Spirit flowing out of them like rivers of living water until the day of Pentecost after Jesus ascended BACK to his God and Father the Almighty God.)
23. Whose soever sins you remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins you retain, they are retained (Jesus gave his disciples and us the authority to forgive sins, but NOT in the manner that the Roman Catholic church interprets this verse to mean that ONLY the PRIESTS have been given the power and authority to FORGIVE sins and therefore Catholics must confess their sins to the priest in order for their sins to be forgiven. Nor in the manner that we can forgive every ones sin, but rather only the sins that have been committed by other against us PERSONALLY. You see dear child of God, the word of TRUTH says NOTHING about God or his Son Jesus giving the authority to forgive sins ONLY to the priests. Jesus is speaking to ALL of his disciples and to ALL who believe that Jesus is the Christ and the Son of the living God. And again this means only the sins people commit against us. For example if someone wrongs you or sins against YOU by stealing something for YOU personally and YOU forgive that person, then in the eyes of God that person is forgiven for THAT PARTICULAR sin of stealing form YOU. Our laws or I should say some laws in some countries are based on this same principal of mercy where if a person does NOT press charges, then the law does not prosecute that person for that particular crime. Please read the study DOES THE BIBLE TEACH PRIEST TO BE CELIBATE? for a sound Biblical understanding that Jesus alone is our high priest and intermediary between God and us.)
24. But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was NOT WITH them when Jesus came. (So Thomas was NOT present with the other disciples when Jesus appeared to them after DESCENDING Bach to the earth with his new glorified immortal body showing himself alive forever more.)
25. The other disciples therefore SAID unto him (Thomas), We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.(Thomas needed physical PROOF in order to believe that Jesus was alive from the dead. Some Christians are not healed, because they demand to SEE that they are healed FIRST and THEN they will BELIEVE. That is NOT FAITH. True Biblical faith is believing, as in, continuing faith until that which we are believing for is manifested in our lives to be seen.)
26. And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. (this time Thomas was there to SEE for himself what the other disciples had told him about the door being shut and yet Jesus somehow got into the closed locked room)
27. Then said he to Thomas, Reach hither your finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither you hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. (First this teaches us that Jesus KNEW what his disciples were saying even though Jesus was not there to hear Thomas say these words to the other disciples. This does not mean that Jesus is Almighty God himself after his resurrection, but rather that the SAME eternal SPIRIT of the Father was GIVEN to his SON Jesus by his God and Father to have IN HIMSELF even as the Father has always possessed immortality of Spirit being the eternal Spirit himself. Next remember that Thomas said that he would NOT BELIEVE UNTIL he put his own finger into the holes in the hands of Jesus where the nails hand been driven to nail Jesus to the cross. And that he put his own hand into the side of Jesus where he was pierced with the soldier's spear to see if Jesus was truly dead. This was UNBELIEF, which is sin. So when Thomas SAW Jesus for himself he was convicted by the Holy Spirit for his sin of unbelief. When we sin against Jesus we sin against Almighty God the Father as well.)
28. And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. (Now the way I myself personally see this verse that Thomas is repent to BOTH Almighty God the Father AND his SON Jesus. But in truth we basically have three choices or three ways to INTERPRET this verse. Choice #1. The Greek word “THEOS” that is translated as “God” with a capital “G” could very well be correct, which would leave us with TWO possibilities; A&B. Choice A. Thomas was addressing Jesus as THE ALMIGHTY God the Father HIMSELF, which to me contradicts the rest of God's word. OR choice B. Thomas was actually addressing Jesus as being Lord AND then Thomas was ALSO addressing Almighty God the Father as well in repentance for doubting that the Father had raised his Son Jesus from the dead. Option or choice #2. Thomas understood and TRULY believed on Jesus AFTER that he had SEEN for HIMSELF that Jesus was truly ALIVE from the dead in his new glorified body of flesh and bones. In other words, Thomas needed proof that Jesus was INDEED THE CHRIST, the SON OF the living God, whom was PROPHESIED to come and therefore Thomas was addressing Jesus as BOTH my Lord and my god with a lower case “g” to show us that Jesus was indeed “A” god who has now been HIGHLY EXALTED to be “A”god who is UNDER and SUBJECT to HIS God and Father the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God. And option #3. Is that the original text has been tampered with by the leaders of the Roman Catholic church that transcribed and copied the ancient manuscripts throughout the history of the church. Bible scholars argue back and forth over no less that two other passages of scripture that some Bible scholars have argued were ADDED to the original text to try and support the doctrine of the trinity. These other two verses are 1 John 5:7 and Matthew 28:19. Please see those studies for a deeper understanding on this subject.)
29. Jesus said unto him, Thomas, because you have seen me, you have believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed (The question is WHAT Thomas truly believed. Did Thomas truly believe that Jesus himself is THE ALMIGHTY God the Father? Or did Thomas believe what the Apostle John RECORDS in the following two verses that Jesus IS THE CHRIST or the ANOINTED ONE OF or BY Almighty God the Father.)
31. But these are WRITTEN, that (or so that) YOU (speaking of YOU dear child of God) might BELIEVE (Believe WHAT? Believe that Jesus is Almighty God HIMSELF being fully Almighty God and fully a man at the same time having TWO natures, one divine and the other human? Is that what this verse is teaching us? Keep reading as you will clearly see what the Bible ITSELF teaches us tho BELIEVE) that Jesus is THE CHRIST, the SON OF God; and THAT BELIEVING (or and BELIEVING THAT Jesus is the SON OF Almighty God the Father whom his God and Father has ANOINTED with his Holy Spirit and has endued with power from on high) you might have LIFE (Speaking of BOTH abundant life now in this present world AND ETERNAL LIFE in the world to come) THROUGH his NAME.”
So then, we are clearly taught is the CONTEXT of John 20:28 exactly WHAT we as Christians ARE to BELIEVE. I verse 31 it says, "But these things are WRITTEN, THAT you might BELIEVE that Jesus is the CHRIST, the SON OF God..." . So Thomas after seeing Jesus for himself now truly believes that Jesus was indeed who he said he was all along, which was that Almighty God the Father was WITH him DWELLING IN him. Thus Thomas is saying my Lord being directed to Jesus and my God directed to Almighty God the FATHER who DWELT IN his SON Jesus.
No matter what Thomas INTENDING his words to mean and no matter what man INTERPRETS the words of Thomas to mean that FACT remains that the CONTEXT of this verse in question NOWHERE teaches us that we are to BELIEVE that Jesus IS Almighty God HIMSELF. But rather the CLEAR, plain, and simple word of TRUTH teaches us in SIMPLICITY with absolutely NO interpretation needed that we are to believe that Jesus is the CHRIST, the SON OF God. The word CHRIST means that Jesus was the ANOINTED SON OF the one true God, who was anointed or GIVEN power from on high BY his God and Father the Almighty to accomplish all the will of his God and Father.
Now let us take a closer look at the three choices I listed above that we have as possibilities of what this verse in question MAY mean, where only one of these choices is the TRUE SOUND Biblical meaning.
This interpretation #1 concludes that Thomas is actually addressing Jesus to BE THE ALMIGHTY God HIMSELF. And this is the INTERPRETATION that is used by those who teach the doctrine of the trinity, the oneness doctrine where Jesus IS the FATHER, and the doctrine of the deity of Jesus where Jesus IS THE ALMIGHTY God HIMSELF and a human being at the same time. However, as I have said many times, IF the interpretation that one concludes a verse to mean contradicts any other part f God's words, then that interpretation is NOT the correct interpretation. And again this interpretation #1. CONTRADICTS MANY other parts of God's word. Therefore INTERPRETATION #1. cannot be the correct interpretation.
This interpretation concludes that Thomas is repenting to BOTH the Lord Jesus Christ AND Almighty God the Father. This is the interpretation, which I myself favor, but I also see interpretation #3 as being a sound Biblical interpretation as well. The truth of the matter is that no one can truly know the INTENT of what Thomas himself meant by his words, "My Lord and my God", but the CONTEXT itself does indeed give us much insight and that is why I myself choose interpretation #2 as my favored choice.
This interpretation concludes that Thomas is addressing ONLY Jesus as being BOTH Lord AND GOD. Now this interpretation DIFFERS from interpretation #1, because Thomas is addressing Jesus as being "A" god, who has just been HIGHLY EXALTED to be a god to rule and reign by HIS God and Father's right hand. In other words, interpretation #3 concludes that Jesus is "A" god who is UNDER and SUBJECT to HIS God and Father the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God who is OVER his SON Jesus.
Now again to ME, I can easily see BOTH interpretation #2, AND interpretation #3 as being sound Biblical interpretations, because NEITHER contradict any other part of God's word and they both agree with the CONTEXT in which this verse is found.
You see, verse 31 supports both interpretation #2 and #3, but does NOT support interpretation #1 where it is conclude by Oneness believer and trinitarian believers that we are to believe that Jesus IS THE ALMIGHTY God HIMSELF as opposed to believing what verse 31 CLEARLY and PLAINLY teaches us in SIMPLICITY with absolutely NO interpretation needed that we are to BELIEVE that Jesus is THE CHRIST and the SON OF Almighty God the Father. Please read John 20:31 again, which is the CONTEXT of John 20:28 the verse in question.
“31. But these are WRITTEN, that (or so that) you might BELIEVE (again believe WHAT?) THAT Jesus is THE CHRIST, the SON OF God; and that believing (or and so believing that Jesus is the SON OF Almighty God the Father whom his God and Father has ANOINTED with his Holy Spirit and has endued with power from on high) you might have LIFE (Speaking of BOTH abundant life now in this present world AND ETERNAL LIFE in the world to come) THROUGH his NAME.”
Please read the study "JESUS THE CHRIST" for an in depth study that gives all the verses that teach us that Jesus is the ANOINTED ONE of Almighty God the Father. But for now let us take a brief look at Hebrews 1:8 being LEFT in it's CONTEXT as well. You see Hebrews 1:8 is also used to teach that Jesus IS GOD, and that it truly does. HOWEVER, when this verse is LEFT in the CONTEXT of where it is found, then we can CLEARLY and PLAINLY see that Jesus is "A" god who is UNDER and SUBJECT to HIS God and Father. Please read Hebrews 1:8 AND 9 together.
“But unto the SON he (Almighty God the Father speaking to his SON PROPHETICALLY) said, Your throne, O God (or your throne O “THEOS”, which is the Greek word that is TRANSLATED as God here, but ALSO mean “god” as a lesser god who is UNDER and SUBJECT to HIS God and Father the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God who is THE God of gods including being THE God, who is OVER his SON Jesus, whom he himself HIGHLY EXALTED to become a god to rule and reign by his Father's right hand being the SECOND in command over all with the exception of being over his God and Father the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God. Every thing that Jesus is or has was GIVEN TO him by HIS God and Father including ETERNAL LIFE to rule by his Father's side on his Father's throne), is for ever and ever: a scepter of righteousness is the scepter of your kingdom.
9. You ( where Almighty God the Father is speaking prophetically TO his SON yet to be. You my SON) have loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; THEREFORE (or for this very REASON) God (Almighty God your Father), EVEN YOUR GOD, has ANOINTED you with the oil of gladness above your fellows.”
Therefore since clearly seeing the Bible ITSELF teaches us that there can be only ONE God, who is the one true and ONLY ALMIGHTY God that is OVER ALL the other gods having NO other Gods over him, then we must throw OUT interpretation #1 which FALSELY concludes that Jesus IS THE ALMIGHTY God HIMSELF, because we just learned from Hebrews 1:9 that the FATHER ALONE is the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God clearly seeing that Jesus is a god or a "THEOS" who UNDER and subject to the FATHER, EVEN his God. In other words, Jesus is NOT the FATHER, so therefore Jesus CANNOT be THE ALMIGHTY God, who ALONE is the FATHER that is THE GOD, who is OVER his SON Jesus.
So then, CLEARLY in the LIGHT of the WHOLE word of God Thomas could NOT have been addressing Jesus himself as being THE God, as in THE ONE true and ONLY ALMIGHTY God, because the Bible ITSELF always identifies the FATHER as being THE God and his SON Jesus as being a "THEOS", which can be translated as "god' with the lower case "g" to let the reader know that it is referring to a lesser god who is UNDER the FATHER.
Now some of you may be thinking or saying, "Now wait just a minute there Mark, you are falsely teaching that there is MORE than just ONE God and that my dear brother contradicts the Old Testament that clearly teaches us that there is just ONE God."
This is what the Roman Catholic church has TAUGHT throughout the history of the church and Protestant churches never questioned, but this is NOT what the WHOLE word of Almighty God teaches us.
But this is NOT what the Bible ITSELF teaches us.
For example we ALL KNOW that Satan is called the "god" of this world. Please read 2 Corinthians 4:1-6, which clearly teaches us that Satan is the "god" or "THEOS" of this world.
2. But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.
4. In whom the god (or the “theos”, which is the SAME Greek word used in Hebrews 1:8 where Almighty God the Father calls his SON a “theos”or god to be a god to rule and reign in the world to come for 1000 years while Satan is CAST DOWN off his throne of being god of this present world. Satan will be bound for a 1000 years when Jesus becomes the god of the world yet to come to reign FOR the Almighty by his Father's side, but for now Satan is the “god”) of this world (who) has BLINDED the minds of them which believe not,(believe not what? Believe not the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God) lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image OF God, should shine unto them.
Jesus came to SHOW us the FATHER. Jesus is the EXPRESS IMAGE of the Father. But Jesus is NOT the FATHER. The Bible clearly teaches us that we must believe in BOTH Almighty God the Father AND his SON Jesus.
The Bible ITSELF teaches us that there are many that are called god, but to US, who are Christians, there is only ONE God, the FATHER. Meaning that there is only ONE TRUE ALMIGHTY God who CREATED all things including Lucifer whom Almighty God his creator exalted to be a god over the earth. But then Lucifer being lifted up with PRIDE decided within himself to stage a coup to take over the throne of Almighty God. Lucifer deceived ONE THIRD of the angels to rebel against their creator and a war broke out between Almighty God and his faithful angels putting down this rebellion of Satan and his angels. Satan was stopped temporarily and was cast out of heaven to be bound to the atmosphere of the earth. And a NEW creation was created by Almighty God that is a little LOWER or INFERIOR to the angels. This NEW creation is mankind. We were created to CLEAR God's slandered NAME that is FALSELY being accused of creating Lucifer as an EVIL REBELLIOUS creature and it was NOT Lucifer's FAULT that he rebelled against God. Please read the study "UNDERSTANDING WHY?" for a deeper understanding on this subject, but for now let us take a look at what the OLD Testament actually teaches us about our God being ONE.
Please read Deuteronomy 10:17, which clearly teaches us that the YHWH or the YAHWEH is THE ALMIGHTY God who is over all other gods. In other words, the ONE true God is the God OF gods, the MOST HIGH God, THE ALMIGHTY God who is OVER all other Gods having NO other Gods over himself. And Jesus has Almighty God the Father OVER him, therefore Jesus cannot possibly be THE ONE true and ONLY ALMIGHTY God HIMSELF in the flesh being fully God and fully a man at the SAME time having TWO natures one DIVINE and the other human as the Oneness believers and the Trinitarian believers dogmatically demand Christians MUST believe without fail in or to be saved.
But this is NOT what the Bible ITSELF teaches us.
Please read Deuteronomy 19:17.
“For the LORD (or for the YHWH) your God (or your ELOHIM) is God OF gods (In other words,YAHWEH or Jehovah is the ELOHIM of elohim. You see the word “GOD”in the Old Testament is translated from the word “ELOHIM”, which is a TITLE or a description given to Jehovah, the angels and even MEN. This Hebrew word “ELOHIM” means MIGHTY ONE or strong one. It is a TITLE of description that DESCRIBES Jehovah as being THE MIGHTY ONE over other mighty ones), and Lord of lords, a great God (or a great ELOHIM), a mighty, and a terrible, which regards not persons, nor takes reward:”
Joshua 22:22 says it this way,
“The LORD God of gods, the LORD God OF gods, he knows, and Israel he shall know; if it be in rebellion, or if in transgression against the LORD, (save us not this day,)”
In other words, YWHW, YAHWEH, or Jehovah IS THE GOD OF gods. That is to say Jehovah is the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God who God, Father, LORD, and KING over his SON Jesus whom he himself highly exalted to become a god at his own right hand only AFTER Jesus became obedient to do all the will of his God and Father even to suffer and died on the cross for the sins of the whole world.
Psalm 136:1-7 teaches us to give thanks to YAHWEH who ALONE does good works.
5. To him that by wisdom (or in understanding. The Hebrew word here by implication carries the meaning of an ARGUMENT. In other words, the heavens and the earth were re created after a war between God and Satan was brought to a temporary cease fire so to speak. And an argument arose where Almighty God was falsely accused of creating Lucifer evil and rebellious. Basically Lucifer was saying it is not my fault because YOU CREATED me this way. Again please read the study “UNDERSTANDING WHY?” for a deeper understanding of WHY? WHY was mankind made a little lower than the angels? WHY does Satan always ACCUSE mankind before God? I mean what is in it for him? WHY did an ALL MIGHTY God need to keep his PLAN of salvation a SECRET form Satan? WHY does God BIND Satan for a 1000 years only to turn him LOOSE again? And why did God highly exalt Jesus to be judge and ruler OVER the angels after making Jesus at the first a little LOWER than the angels? WHY does God ALLOW the wicked to continue?) made the heavens: for his mercy endures for ever.
Let us continue to learn the TRUTH of God's word that there is NOT just ONE God, but ratehr that there is just one ALMIGHTY and most high God who is the God OF all other gods. Please read Psalm 82 where God's people are asking WHY God is allowing the wicked to remain and not be judged? Keep in mind that this Psalm is a PROPHECY of Jesus who will one day JUDGE the nations and the chief ones or the fallen angels.
“God (or ELOHIM or one who has been given the TITLE and the authority to judge. This Elohim or mighty one is speaking of Jesus and NOT the Almighty God. In other words, Jesus in the world to come is) standing (or being stationed or being given the authority) in the congregation of the mighty; he judges among the gods.
2. How long will you judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah. ( Selah means to pause and think or to pause and ponder what is being said here or to pause and ponder the question here of how long are you going to allow the wicked to go before you judge them? When we take time to pause and consider all that is taking place in the world today this verse is saying to us to begin asking God how much longer God? Rise up O God and...)
5. They know not, neither WILL they understand; they walk ON in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course. (in other words, the wickedness has come to full and not one wicked person is going to turn from their wicked ways. No not one seeks after God meaning that no more wicked with turn to God to be saved and Jesus will say let the wicked remain wicked and let the righteous remain righteous. I am coming quickly or swiftly in a flash like lightening in a twinkling of an eye so be READY for there will be NO time for you to REPENT when I come again.)
6. I (Almighty God the Most high) have said, You are gods (ELOHIM or mighty ones); and all of you are children of the most High. (or the SUPREME ONE who is over all speaking of Almighty God the Father)
7. But you shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes (speaking of the fallen angels).
8. Arise, O God (or arise O Elohim a PROPHECY speaking of Jesus. This can be compared with Even so COME Lord and execute the WRATH of Almighty God, the Father), judge the earth: for you (Jesus, the SON OF the most high) shall INHERIT all nations.”
The Greek word “THEOS” in the New Testament is used in the SAME way that the Hebrew “ELOHIM” is used in the Old Testament, which is as a TITLE of one having authority and power that has been GIVEN TO them BY THE ALMIGHTY, the MOST HIGH Elohim, who is Jehovah or Yahweh, the FATHER of ALL.
So then, the TRUTH of the matter is that YES, Jesus is GOD, a MIGHTY ONE, who has been GIVEN authority and power BY HIS God and Father the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God. But Jesus is NOT the one true and only Almighty and most high God HIMSELF. Yes Jesus did indeed come FORTH OUT FROM the God, but when the spoke word of God BECAME flesh Yahweh stripped himself of ALL his DIVINE nature to take on HUMAN NATURE and become the Son of MAN a HUMAN being whom he later EMPOWER by ANOINTING his SON Jesus coming to DWELL IN his SON. This what the WHOLE word of God ITSELF clearly teaches us in SIMPLICITY.
Now some of you may still want to argue and say that the Jews have always believed in only ONE God.
Yes this is true, but you also have to understand that the Bible also teaches us that the Jews read the Old Testament with a VEIL over their eyes of UNDERSTANDING even to this very day. Please read 2 Corinthians 3:11-16, which says,
So you see, the Jews did not understand fully who God was. This is why Jesus came to SHOW them and us who ALONE is the ALMIGHTY SUPREME ONE. Jesus came to SHOW us the FATHER. Jesus did NOT speak of HIMSELF, but rather Jesus spoke only what the Father, who DWELT IN him, commanded his SON Jesus to speak. When you COMPARE John 20:28 with the WHOLE word of Almighty God, then it becomes very clear that Thomas was NOT referring to Jesus as being THE ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God, who ALONE is the FATHER.
Please read the study “OUR GOD IS ONE!” for a deeper understanding of the OLD Testament verses that SEEM to be saying that the God of Israel is ONE God, which is INTERPRETED to mean that there is just ONE God period end of discussion.
But the TRUTH of the matter is that the WHOLE word of Almighty God teaches us that there is just one ALMIGHTY God, who ALONE is the FATHER, and NOT that there is just ONE God period so case closed end of discussion. So do not be hurt dear child of God by those dogmatic demanding Triniarian and Oneness believers who tell you that you had better repent and pray that God forgives you for not believing in the doctrine of the trinity or the doctrine of oneness lest you die in your sins by not believing that Jesus himself claimed to be the great I AM THAT I AM of the Old Testament. Please read the study "IS JESUS YAHWEH?" for a SOUND Biblical teaching on all the verses used by Triniatrian and Oneness believers to try and prove that Jesus is the great I AM THAT I AM in the Old Testament.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God. Below are some other verses that are used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity and the deity of Jesus. There may be other verses which you may be having trouble seeing any other way than what you were dogmatically taught over and over for so long, but I assure you that each and every verse used by those who teach the doctrine of the trinity does indeed have a different meaning that does NOT CONTRADICT any other part of God's word. If there is a verse that I have not listed please do not hesitate to write to me and let me know. Some verse are included in others studies and they may not appear as an individual study.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE
Verses used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus the CHRIST.
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE