Did Jesus Raise Himself From The Dead?
Does John 2:19-22 and John 10:17,18 teach us that Jesus raised HIMSELF from the dead? And if so does this teach us that Almighty God is a "TRINITY"? And if so does this teach us that Jesus is THE ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God HIMSELF?
Let us begin this study in God;s word by first reading both of these verses WITH a FOCUS on what those who teach that Jesus is Yahweh himself focus upon, which is the"I"referring to Jesus.
“Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign show you unto us, seeing that you do these things?
“Therefore does my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
The argument used by those who teach the doctrine of the trinity say that since the Bible says that Almighty God the Father raised Jesus from the dead, and the Holy Spirit raised Jesus from the dead, and Jesus raised himself from the dead, then Jesus must be Almighty God, because only Almighty God has the power to raise people from the dead.
Please read Romans 8:11 where we clearly see that the Holy Spirit of Almighty God raised Jesus from the dead.
Now let us read several verses where Almighty God the Father is the one who raises his Son Jesus from the dead.
“Therefore being a prophet (speaking of David prophesying of the resurrection of Jesus the anointed one), and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, HE (referring to Almighty God) would raise up Christ to sit on HIS throne;
“And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, You men of Israel, why marvel you at this? or why look you so earnestly on us, as though by our OWN power or holiness we had made this man to walk?
13. The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up , and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go .
In other words, the man who was healed had a PART to play in being HEALED. It was Almighty God who actually did the HEALING by or through the hands of his servants who spoke in the authority that was GIVEN to then in the NAME of Jesus to heal NOT in their OWN power but in the power of the NAME of Jesus that was GIVEN to them to use.
In the same way Jesus BELIEVED that his God and Father would raise him from the dead. Jesus had a PART to play in his being raised from the dead by his God and Father. It was NOT by his OWN power that Jesus raised HIMSELF from the dead, but it was the power and the authority that was GIVEN to Jesus BY hid God and Father the one true and only Almighty God.
This is what John 2:19-22 means. Jesus said in John 16:7-16 something that I myself find very interesting. Jesus explains that what he has which he says is MINE are his because the Father has given ALL things to his Son.
13. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.
14. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of MINE, and shall show it unto you.
15. All things that the Father has are mine: THEREFORE (or for this reason) said I, that he shall take of MINE, and shall show it unto you.”
Every thing that Jesus is and has was GIVE to him BY his God and Father Almighty God. Please read Matthew 28:18.
And all this power and authority is GIVEN unto Jesus BY his God and Father the one true and only Almighty God. Even eternal life was GIVEN to Jesus BY his Father. Please read John 5:18-30.
“Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the Sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God. (Now this verse is taken out of context and used by those who teach the doctrine of the trinity which teaches that Jesus is EQUAL with the father in every way where neither is greater than or less than the other. But when this verse is LEFT in the CONTEXT of where it is found we see in the very next verse where Jesus is DEFENDING himself against this FALSE ACCUSATION of the Jews who accused Jesus of making himself equal with God)
19. Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do NOTHING OF HIMSELF, but what he see the Father do: for what things soever he does, these also does the Son likewise.
24. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that hears my word, AND believes on him that sent me, has everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. (here we see that we must believe in and honor BOTH Almighty God the Father AND his SON Jesus in order to have eternal life abiding in us.)
25. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. (This means that Jesus was GIVEN the authority to raise the SPIRITUALLY dead and even to raise from the dead those who died physically like Lazarus. And ALSO at his second coming Jesus has been given the power and the authority to raise those who BELIEVE from the dead and give them eternal life in the world to come. This is WHY Jesus is called the EVERLASTING FATHER in Isaiah 6:9, which literally reads the father of eternal life. Please keep in mind that ALL that Jesus is and has was GIVEN UNTO him BY hid God and Father the Almighty and most high God.)
27. AND has GIVEN him AUTHORITY to execute judgment ALSO, BECAUSE he is the Son of MAN. (NOT because Jesus is THE ALMIGHTY God himself. And NOT because Jesus is the SON OF Almighty God the Father. But BECAUSE Jesus is the Son of MAN. It was needful for Jesus to be TRULY and FULLY a HUMAN being who OVER CAME the enemy to be crucified as an INNOCENT Lamb so that he could redeem mankind back to Almighty God the Father.)
29. And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.(so yes Jesus has been GIVEN the AUTHORITY and the POWER to RAISE the dead, but the TRUTH of the matter it is Almighty God the FATHER that DWELLS IN his SON Jesus who is the ONE who is ACTUALLY do the WORKS of raising the dead INCLUDING raising his only begotten SON from the dead. Remember Jesus said)
30. I can of mine OWN SELF DO NOTHING: (so then HOW did Jesus RAISE HIMSELF from the dead seeing that Jesus himself clearly and plainly teaches us that in and OF HIMSELF he can do NOTHING? It has always been the FATHER that DWELT IN his SON Jesus that was the one who actually did the WORKS. Including raising his SON Jesus from the dead and then GIVEN his SON Jesus ETERNAL LIFE to have withing himself even as Almighty God has ALWAYS possessed IMMORTALITY within himself.) as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.”
Most every verse we read about the resurrection of Jesus it it Almighty God the Father who is the one who is actually doing the work of RAISING his SON Jesus for the dead.
“Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.”
“Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the NAME of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.”
“The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
“How God (Almighty God the Father) ANOINTED Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and WITH power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; FOR (or BECAUSE) God was WITH him.
“And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a MAN after mine own heart, which shall fulfill all my will (this is also a prophecy of Jesus who is the ONLY man who has done ALL the will of Almighty God the Father. It is Jesus who was a MAN after God own heart. David was just speaking these words prophetically of the coming Messiah and not of himself.).
Here we are taught that if we believe and confess that GOD raised Jesus from the dead we shall be saved.
1 Corinthians 6:14
“And God has BOTH raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us BY HIS OWN power.”
So even though Almighty God the Father have GIVEN his SON Jesus the AUTHORITY to RAISE the dead it is STILL none the less the POWER of Almighty God HIMSELF that is actually doing the raising from the dead.
“Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)”
“Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.”
1 Peter 1:21
“Who by him (or who by Jesus the SON of Almighty God the Father) do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.”
So then, to ME I myself do NOT see that John 2:19-22 teaches us that Jesus IS THE ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God nor do I see that this verse teaches us that Almighty God is a “TRINITY” where Jesus is CO EQUAL in every way with HIS God and Father who ALONE is the ALMIGHTY and most high God over his SON Jesus.
I myself see that the WHOLE word of Almighty God clearly teaches us that ALL that Jesus is of has was GIVEN TO him BY his God and Father, who ALONE is the one true and only ALMIGHTY God.
John 10:17,18 simply means that Jesus was given a free will to chose whether or not he would obey his Father's will. It was given the Jesus by the Father for Jesus to make his OWN choice whether or not to lay down his life or to take up his life by not choosing to die on the cross.
“Therefore does my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
18. No man takes it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This COMMANDMENT (or this principle or this teaching or this instruction) have I received of my Father.”
Now if so be that one dogmatically demands that the Greek word be translated as commandment as opposed to a teaching or an instruction, then it was still GIVEN BY Almighty God the Father TO his SON Jesus. In other words, IF SO BE that Jesus raised HIMSELF from the grave, it was BY or THROUGH the AUTHORITY that HIS God and Father had GIVEN his SON to COMMAND Satan to turn him loose from hell much in the same way that we COMMAND Satan in the NAME of Jesus through the authority that we have been GIVEN by Almighty God. Either way Jesus did NOT raise himsef from the dead by his OWN power and authority.
Therefore I myself must conclude that Jesus is NOT THE ALMIGHTY God who ALONE is the FATHER. Jesus is NOT the Father. I also conclude that Jesus is NOT equal with the Father since Jesus himself said that the Father is GREATER than he and the Biblw clearly teaches us that Jesus is UNDER and SUBJECT to his God a Father the one true and only ALMIGHTY God.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God. Below are some other verses that are used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity and the deity of Jesus. There may be other verses which you may be having trouble seeing any other way than what you were dogmatically taught over and over for so long, but I assure you that each and every verse used by those who teach the doctrine of the trinity does indeed have a different meaning that does NOT CONTRADICT any other part of God's word. If there is a verse that I have not listed please do not hesitate to write and let me know. Some verse are included in others studies and they may not appear as an individual study.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE
Verses used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus the CHRIST.
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE