JESUS AS A FELLOW SERVANT
We most often see Jesus as the SON of God. We view him as our Lord and Savior, but seldom do we know him as our brother and fellow servant.
John 15:13-15 says,
“Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his FRIENDS.
14. You are my FRIENDS, IF you do whatsoever I command you.
15. Henceforth I call you NOT servants; for the servant knows not what his lord does: but I have called you FRIENDS. For all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.”
Jesus has identified us as FRIENDS. He considers us to be his BRETHREN, IF that is, we do whatsoever he commands us to do.
Matthew 12:50 says it like this,
“For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the SAME is my BROTHER, and SISTER, and mother.”
So we are the brothers and sisters of Jesus, IF so be that we continue to do the will of God the Father. Jesus also tells us that whatsoever we do to our fellow man, or perhaps more precisely what ever we do to a fellow believer, we ALSO do unto him as one of his BRETHREN.
Matthew 25: 34-40
“Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, you blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35. For I was hungered, and you gave me meat: I was thirsty, and you gave me drink: I was a stranger and you took me in:
36. Naked, and you clothed me: I was sick and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came unto me.
37. Then the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we you hungered, and fed you? Or thirsty, and gave you drink?
38. When saw we you a stranger, and took you in? or naked, and clothed you?
39. Or when saw we you sick, or in prison, and came unto you?
40. And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily, I say unto you, Inasmuch as you have done it unto one of the least of these MY BRETHREN, you have done it unto me.”
In John 20:17 we read,
“Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not: for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to MY BRETHREN, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.”
Jesus calls us his BRETHREN and makes it known clearly to us that his Father is our Father and that God the Father is his God and our God.
The word of God tells us that Jesus is the firstborn of MANY BRETHREN.
Look at Romans 8:29
“For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestine to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he (Jesus the Son of God) might be the firstborn among MANY BRETHREN.”
Hebrews 2:10-12 says it like this,
“For it became him (God the Father), for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation (Jesus) perfect through sufferings.
11. For both he (Jesus) that sanctifies and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he (Jesus) is not ashamed to call them BRETHREN.
12. Saying I will declare your (God the Father’s) name unto MY BRETHREN, in the midst of the church will I (Jesus) sing praise unto you (God the Father). And again I will put my trust in him (God the Father).
13. And again, Behold I and the children which God has given me.
14. For as much then as the children are partakers of FLESH and BLOOD, he (Jesus) ALSO himself took part of the SAME (flesh and blood nature) (WHY?): THAT (or so that) through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil.
15. And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
16. For verily he took NOT on the him the nature of angels; but he took on the seed of Abraham.
17. Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto HIS BRETHREN, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.”
Jesus, the captain of our salvation, not only was not ashamed to call us BRETHREN but he also was not ashamed to take on our flesh and blood nature and to be like us, his BRETHREN, in every way. Now I say "Jesus" , other Christians say "Jesus" and the Bible says "Jesus" took on the nature of flesh, but in TRUTH, it was Almighty God HIMSELF who MADE, formed, begot, created, or brought his Son Jesus into existence in the womb of the virgin Mary by his very own spoken word or saying coming out from his mouth. In others words, it is Almighty God HIMSELF who is God INCARNATE or God becoming FLESH and NOT the SON OF Almighty God becoming flesh or taking on the nature of flesh. Please read the study "WHAT DOES GOD INCARNATE MEAN?" for all the verses that clearly and plainly in SIMPLICITY teach us this truth. The fact is that the FLESH that God HIMSELF became was GIVEN the NAME Jesus and this is WHY the Bible says HE, which refers to "Jesus" as taking on the nature of humans.
The twenty second Psalm has some prophecy of Jesus that is quoted in the above verse of Hebrews chapter two.
Read Psalm 22:18 then verse 22,
“They part my garments among them, and cast lots for my vesture…
...22. I will declare your name (the name of God the Father. The very NAME "JESUS" mean the salvation OF YAHWEH) unto MY BRETHREN: in the midst of the congregation will I (Jesus) praise you (My God and my Father).”
All those that do the WILL of Almighty God the Father are the BRETHREN of his Son Jesus including both the Gentiles and the Jews who rejected him at first.
Micah 5:4,5 says,
“Therefore will he (God the Father) give them up, until the time that she (Israel) which travails has brought forth: then the remnant of his (Jesus') BRETHREN shall return unto the children of Israel.
5. And he (Jesus) shall stand and feed in strength of the Lord (God the Father), in the majesty of the name of the Lord HIS (or Jesus') God; and they shall abide: for now shall he be great unto the ends of the earth.”
Jesus not only calls himself one of the BRETHREN, but the word of God also refers to him as a SERVANT of God. In Matthew 12:18-21 Jesus is quoting from Isaiah the prophet where God the Father is speaking about his Son.
“Behold my SERVANT, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my Spirit upon him and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.
19. He shall not strive, nor cry, neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets.
20. A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory.
21. And in his name shall the Gentiles trust.”
Then in Isaiah 42:1-8, which is a prophecy about Jesus we read,
“Behold MY SERVANT, whom I (God the Father) uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him (or have anointed him with my Holy Spirit): he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
2. He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.
3. A bruised reed shall he not break, nor smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
4. He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law.
5. Thus says the Lord God, (God the Father) he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which comes out of it; and he that gives breath unto the people upon it, and spirit unto them that walk therein.
6. I the Lord (God the Father) have called you (Jesus my servant) in righteousness, and will hold your hand, and will keep you, and give you for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles.
7. To open blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.
8. I am the Lord: (Almighty God the Father) that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.”
From these two passages of scripture we see that Almighty God, that is, God the Father calls his Son Jesus his SERVANT. We also see that God will uphold and keep his Son by his Spirit that Jesus should not fail or be discouraged. When we begin to recognize that Jesus needed to be strengthened by his God and Father in order to overcome sin, then it gives us courage and strength to know that God the Father will also keep and uphold us by his Holy Spirit as well. The SAME Holy Spirit that empowered and upheld Jesus will also empower and uphold us, IF we believe.
Jesus prayed to God his Father when he was tempted to not obey his Fathers will. Look at Psalm 69:17, then read verse 21 to show that it is Jesus speaking.
“And hide not your face from your SERVANT; for I am in trouble; hear me speedily... ....21. They gave me also gall for my meat: and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.”
Jesus was tempted in all points like we are tempted. Jesus felt the pain and suffering of temptation just like we do. Jesus wanted his God and Father to answer him SPEEDILY just like us.
When Jesus prayed in the garden and asked the Father if there be any way for this CUP of suffering the cross to pass from him he sweat great drops as of blood. Jesus ALREADY knew the Father’s WILL, but was tempted not to go through with it. Jesus did not pray, IF it be thy will, but RATHER prayed, I really do not want to do this Father, but NEVERTHELESS let YOUR WILL be done and not my own will. Jesus ALREADY knew he had to go to the cross and be crucified, which was the WILL of his Father.
Often times we hear people pray for such things like healing and hear them pray something like, "Heal me Father IF it be your WILL". They believe they are praying according to the will of God, because they were taught wrongly that Jesus prayed, "If it be your will" But the TRUTH of the matter is that Jesus ALREADY knew the will of the Father and was tempted not to obey his will and prayed "NEVERTHELESS not my will, but your will be done."
You see, his God then strengthened him and delivered him from his bonds of suffering temptation, and for the joy set before him, Jesus then conformed his own will to be in agreement with the WILL of his Father, which he ALREADY knew and he endured the cross for his BRETHREN.
In Psalm 116:13,15,19 Jesus says,
I will take the CUP of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord…
...15. Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints...
...19. O Lord truly I am YOUR SERVANT, and the son of your handmaid; you have loosed my bonds.”
Jesus called himself our BRETHREN and a SERVANT of God. Jesus was one of the BRETHREN and FELLOW SERVANTS.
Now look at Revelation 22:7 which says,
“Behold I come quickly, blessed is he that keeps the sayings of the prophecy of this book.”
These are the words of Jesus telling us of his soon return.
Jesus again tells us almost these same words in verse 12
“And, behold; I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give to every man according as his work shall be.”
I want you to notice that it is clear that this is Jesus who is speaking in this passage of scripture by these two verses. Also I want you to notice that the Bible clearly teaches that Jesus is one of the BRETHREN and a FELLOW SERVANT as you have just learn in this study.
So with this being said, let us look at Revelation 22:8,9.
“And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel (or messenger) which showed me these things.
9. Then he says unto me, See you do it not: for I am your FELLOW SERVANT, and of your BRETHREN the prophets, and of them that keep the sayings of this book, worship GOD.”
The word “angel” simply means messenger. Jesus was God’s “messenger” sent to mankind to bring us a MESSAGE from his God and Father to show us the Father, the one true God.
Now keep in mind, as this study has clearly shown, that Jesus is one of the BRETHREN. Jesus is a FELLOW SERVANT. We know that Jesus kept the word of God for Hebrews says that he was tempted in all points as we are, yet without sin. We also know from God's word that Jesus is a prophet. So the angel (messenger) speaking in this passage of scripture is in fact Jesus as a MESSENGER (angel) and NOT a real angel as we have been taught to perceive or as most understand angels to be. Please take note that a real angel is never considered by the word of God as one of the BRETHREN.
Jesus is THE ANGEL (or more precisely Jesus is the messenger) of the Lord ( Almighty God). Jesus is the SON of God. Jesus is the Christ, the ANOINTED one of Almighty God his God and Father. Jesus is the Messiah. Jesus is the rock of our salvation. God gave his SON Jesus to be a ransom for many. Jesus is the Son of MAN. All that Jesus is was given to him of his God and his Father.
And in this passage of scripture Jesus says, "See that you do NOT worship at my feet for I am of your brethren and fellow servant, worship GOD (the Father)."
1 Corinthians 8:6
"For unto US there is but ONE God, even the FATHER, of whom are all things, and we in him, and ONE LORD Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him."
For a deeper understanding of there only being ONE God, which is the Almighty God the Father and Jesus being subject unto the Father, please read the study entitled "THERE IS BUT ONE GOD"
I believe the Lord Almighty God has shown us all these things through his word by his Holy Spirit in order that we will HONOR his SON Jesus, and also know Jesus as a brother who went through the same type of things that we go through, yet WITHOUT SIN in order to reveal to us that Jesus was our EXAMPLE that we are to FOLLOW and live our live WITHOUT SIN as well.
The church through the years of tradition has lifted up Jesus beyond what the word of God teaches and beyond that which Almighty God has intended. Consequently by doing so, this FALSE teaching has painted a FALSE picture that NO man can live a sin free life EXCEPT Jesus who IS God, because we our self see our self as ONLY being human. Can you not see that because of this FALSE teaching that Jesus IS Almighty God some Christians see Jesus as being FULLY God in the FLESH and at the SAME time see themselves as ONLY being HUMAN/ And THEREFORE see Jesus as the ONLY ONE who could EVER live WITHOUT SIN, BECAUSE he IS God and they are ONLY HUMAN.
But this is NOT what the word of TRUTH, the Holy Bible teaches us. For a deeper understanding of how you can be free from sin please read these other studies that God has led me through and has given me the wisdom to write. Here are a few titles of some of these studies; "JESUS THE SON OF MAN", "HOW O LIVE YOUR LIFE FREE FROM SIN", "THE FEAR OF THE LORD", and "THE POWER AND AUTHORITY OF THE BELIEVER".
Please know and UNDERSTAND that in NO WAY do I want to diminish the HONOR and GLORY that is due the name of Jesus, but it is vital to see and understand that Jesus, who is called “the Word of God” was MADE flesh and became a MAN just as you and I. And then was ANOINTED with the Holy Spirit which EMPOWERED Jesus to do all that he did.
It is also vital for you to see that when Jesus became man and took upon himself our flesh and blood nature that he laid aside his own divine nature, and thereby making himself 100% man with a flesh and blood nature that made him a MORTAL human being so that he could die for our sins. In doing this Jesus had to depend entirely, completely and totally upon the Holy Spirit of God, the SAME Holy Spirit that is available to every believer, to live his life without sin and do the works of his God and Father which sent him into the earth to do.
Jesus did all of this in order to show and demonstrate to us the WAY, the “WAY of RIGHTEOUSNESS” that we also are to live out in our own lives just as Jesus did. And the only way we can do this is the same way that Jesus did, through the POWER of the Holy Spirit of Almighty God. Please refer to the study on "JESUS THE CHRIST" and "I AM THE WAY: WHAT DOES JESUS MEAN?" for a deeper understanding of this truth for it is the only true way that we also may walk pleasing before God.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God. Below are some other verses that are used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity and the deity of Jesus. There may be other verses which you may be having trouble seeing any other way than what you were dogmatically taught over and over for so long, but I assure you that each and every verse used by those who teach the doctrine of the trinity does indeed have a different meaning that does NOT CONTRADICT any other part of God's word. If there is a verse that I have not listed please do not hesitate to write to me and let me know. Some verses are included in other studies and they may not appear as an individual study. If there is a verse or verses that you seem to struggle with only being able to see the doctrine of the trinity when you read this verse, then please search out the truth by listening to the other side of the controversy. No one can arrive at the truth by hearing only ONE side of the controversy. I only present you with ALL the evidence that I myself have found and leave it to you to decide what you want to believe.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE
Verses used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus the CHRIST.
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE