JESUS IS THE LORD
What do these words of Jesus mean? Was Jesus teaching us, as Christians, to keep the Sabbath day as the Jews? Or was Jesus teaching us something else?
Let us read all three accounts where Jesus says that HE is the Lord of the Sabbath to see what clues we can find.
“At that time Jesus went on the Sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungered, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat. (And Jesus never said a word to rebuke them)
2. But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, your disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the Sabbath day.
3. BUT he said unto THEM, Have you not read what David did, when he was an hungered, and they that were with him; (But instead of rebuking his own disciples, Jesus rebukes the Pharisees and defends his disciples)
4. How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the show bread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?
5. Or have you not read in the law, how that on the Sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless?
6. But I say unto you, That IN this place is one GREATER than the temple. (Jesus is speaking of HIMSELF being GREATER than the Jewish holy Temple.)
7. But if you had known what this mean, I will have MERCY, and not sacrifice, you would NOT have condemned the GUILTLESS.
8. For (or BECAUSE) the Son of man is Lord even of the Sabbath day.”
Here we see three main things;
#1. We see Jesus teaching the Jews that they did not know what the Sabbath day was FOR, what it's PURPOSE was for, now why it was given.
#2. Jesus is teaching the Jews, that IF they had known the TRUE purpose of the Sabbath, then they would NOT be JUDGING his DISCIPLES.
#3. Jesus is teaching that HE HIMSELF is the true PURPOSE of why the Seventh day was created. Not the seventh day of the WEEK, but rather the TRUE seventh day of the LORD, the DAY of the LORD in which Almighty God the Father Yahweh will REST, while his Son Jesus rules and reigns FOR his God and Father DURING the yet coming 1000 year long DAY of the Lord, in which Jesus will be the Lord of the Sabbath, the 1000 year long SEVENTH day.
Let us read the other two accounts first and I will explain what I just said in more detail giving you the scripture to prove to you that this is the correct interpretation of these words of Jesus and that Jesus is NOT teaching us to keep ANY day of the WEEK.
Please read Mark 2:23-27.
“And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields on the Sabbath day; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn. (we see same thing as we saw in Matthew, which is that Jesus gives no rebuke to his disciples)
24. And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the Sabbath day that which is not lawful?
25. And he said unto them, Have you never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungered, he, and they that were with him?
26. How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the show bread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him?
27. And he said unto them, The Sabbath was made for man, and NOT man for the Sabbath:
28. THEREFORE the Son of man is Lord ALSO of the Sabbath.”
Again we see the Pharisees JUDGING the disciples of Jesus wanting Jesus to rebuke his disciples, but instead Jesus defends his disciples. Then Jesus goes on to teach them and us that mankind was created BEFORE the Sabbath and that the Sabbath, the CEASING from all our OWN works, was to be a reward FOR mankind, rather than mankind being created to be a slave or servant TO a day of the week. Jesus is showing us that the Sabbath was given as a SIGN point to a future SEVENTH day and point to Jesus as the door to enter into the seventh day of the Lord to rule and reign with Jesus during that 1000 year long day.
The Jesus says THEREFORE, or for this very reason of why the TRUE Sabbath was created to be a reward FOR mankind that I, the Son of MAN am highly exalted by Yahweh to be MADE the Lord over the Sabbath of Yahweh while he ceases for all his works.
Also as I was reading this account in Mark I noticed that the word "DAY" is missing. It does not say that Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath DAY. So I went back to Matthew 12:8 and read the LITERAL translation and also found that the word "DAY" was not in the original text. Then the thought came to me, perhaps Jesus is saying that He is Lord AND he is the SABBATH?
I then looked up the Greek word "tou" and found that it means "THE", but is also translated as "OF the" or just "OF", as in, the Son OF man in the same verse. So then I looked in the LITERAL translation to see if the Greek word "tou" Strong's number 3588 was translated in this same passage of scripture as just "THE" and I found that in Mark 2:26 the phrase "Abiathar THE high priest" that the English word "THE" was translated from the same exact Greek word translated as "OF the" Sabbath in verse 28.
In other words, either translation is correct and thus BOTH interpretations are correct. Jesus is our Lord and Jesus IS OUR SABBATH, but also Jesus is Lord OF the TRUE Sabbath, the seventh 1000 year long day of the Lord as well as you will soon see.
Now let us read Luke 6:1-5.
“And it came to pass on the second Sabbath after the first, that he went through the corn fields; and his disciples plucked the ears of corn, and did eat, rubbing them in their hands. (The FIRST Sabbath was given ONLY to the children of Israel for THEM to keep throughout THEIR generations and the SECOND Sabbath, the seventh 1000 year long day of the Lord is given to ALL of mankind of WHOSOEVER believes on Jesus as their Sabbath REST to cease from their OWN WORKS of self righteousness.)
2. And certain of the Pharisees said unto them, Why do you that which is not lawful to do on the Sabbath days? (here we see that the Jews are judging Jesus along with his disciples for working on the Sabbath day)
3. And Jesus answering them said, Have you not read so much as this, what David did, when himself was an hungered, and they which were with him;
4. How he went into the house of God, and did take and eat the show bread, and gave also to them that were with him; which it is not lawful to eat but for the priests alone? (again Jesus defended his disciples)
5. And he said unto them, That the Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath.”
Here in Luke we saw something that we did not see in the other two accounts in Matthew and Mark. Here we see a detail calling this particular Sabbath day of the week in which the disciples of Jesus picked corn, the SECOND Sabbath day that came AFTER the FIRST Sabbath day. This is a clue pointing us to the true meaning of Jesus being BOTH our SABBATH REST and the Lord of the SABBATH, the seventh 1000 year long day of Yahweh's rest while Jesus rules for him in the world to come.
Jesus is NOT saying that he is Lord over the WEEKLY Sabbath, which is the FIRST Sabbath. The FIRST Sabbath was given to the children of Israel as a SIGN pointing to the TRUE Sabbath. Please read the study "THE SABBATH REST IS A SIGN!".
The TRUE Sabbath is the SECOND Sabbath, the 1000 year long SEVENTH day of Yahweh, which the church calls the Millennium where Jesus will be the Lord OF that Sabbath ruling FOR Yahweh, Almighty God the Father, while the Father rests or ceases from all his works.
Let us read Isaiah 40:10,11.
“Behold, the Lord GOD (Almighty God Yahweh) will come WITH strong hand, and HIS ARM (Yahweh's ARM, his Son Jesus) shall RULE FOR him: behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him. (this is saying that Jesus will bring his reward WITH him at his second coming to give every man according to their WORKS. See Revelation 22:11-15. We, as faithful Christians, are the work of Jesus. Because he lives we shall live to rule and reign WITH him)
11. He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.”
Jesus is the shepherd of his three flocks, the Christians, the children of Israel, and Israel that is not Israel of the line of Ishmael, or the Muslims. ONLY the Christians will be given eternal life AT the second coming of Jesus. The remnant of Israel and those left alive of the nations, including the Muslims who repent at his coming, will go into the SEVENTH day of the Lord in their MORTAL bodies to be taught of the Lord. The Christ will rule and reign WITH Jesus over the other two flocks, Israel and those left alive of the nations. The twelve tribes of Israel will be served by the Muslims and those left alive of the nations.
Jesus is called our chief Shepherd in 1 Peter 5:4.
“And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, you shall receive a crown of glory that fades not away.”
Jesus our chief shepherd will bring OUR reward of eternal life WITH him at his coming, but Jesus has two more flocks that will NOT receive eternal life AT his coming, but rather they will go into the SEVENTH day of the Lord in their MORTAL bodies to be TAUGHT of the Lord.
Please read Psalm 132:8-14.
“Arise, O LORD, into YOUR REST (the 1000 year long day of Yahweh's rest while Jesus rules FOR him); you, AND the ark of your strength. (Jesus is the ark or the TEMPLE of Yahweh. Almighty God the Father the fullness of the Godhead DWELT IN Jesus during the days of his flesh. See Colossians 2:9.)
9. Let your priests be clothed with righteousness; and let your saints shout for joy. (this verse is a prophecy of US, as believers in Jesus being clothed with white robes of righteousness being made kings and priest unto God. Revelation 1:6, 19:8.)
10. For your servant David's sake turn not away the face of your anointed. (this is a prophecy of two things: a prophecy where David is asking God to make his promise come to pass referring to Jesus his anointed one sitting on God's throne and to Israel to not turn away from the face of Jesus Yahweh's ANOINTED one)
11. The LORD has sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it; Of the fruit of your body will I set upon your throne.(speaking of Jesus and all who believe in Jesus to obey his teachings.)
12. IF (or only those of your loins will set on my throne IF SO BE that) your children will KEEP MY COVENANT AND MY TESTIMONY that I SHALL TEACH them, their children shall ALSO sit upon your throne for evermore. (This is a prophecy of God GOING to teach the children of Israel his NEW covenant AND his TESTIMONY. Step one of this prophecy was fulfilled during the Acts of the apostles from chapter 1 through chapter 8 when the gospel was ONLY preached to the children of ISRAEL. God will not turn again to TEACH the children of Israel his NEW covenant and testimony a SECOND time, until the SECOND coming of Jesus, when the children of Israel will be taught of the Lord DURING the SEVENTH 1000 year long day of Yahweh's REST, while Jesus rules FOR him, who made Jesus to be both Christ and the Lord of the Sabbath. And only after the remnant of the children of Israel LEARN of the Lord during the Millennium will they be granted the right to eat of the tree of eternal life and ALSO sit on God's throne in the ages to come.)
13. For the LORD has chosen Zion; he has desired it for his habitation. (God has chosen to make his OWN temple mad with his OWN hands and Zion is who God desires as hi habitation to dwell. See Psalm 48:2 “Beautiful for situation, the joy of the whole earth, is mount Zion, on the sides of the north, the city of the great King.”)
14. This is MY REST for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it.”
In Revelation 19:10 we read the the TESTIMONY of Jesus is the SPIRIT of PROPHECY.
“And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of PROPHECY.”
Jesus said to the Jews that they searched the scriptures to find eternal life and they did not understand that the scripture spoke of HIM. The prophecies in the law and the prophets all point to JESUS. The TESTIMONY of God is his testimony of his CHRIST, his anointed one, his SALVATION. And this is what God wants Israel to REMEMBER. Remember the SABBATH, remember that it is I Yahweh, who is your deliverer. I gave you the Sabbath day of the week for a SIGN pointing to my Son Jesus to be your your TRUE Sabbath rest.
What verse 14 means is that Zion, the NEW Jerusalem, that will come down from heaven, will be God's city or dwelling place or place to REST forever and NOT that God will REST forever and never create another thing.
“This is MY REST for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it.”
God is NOT going to rest forever and never create another single thing.
Let me prove this to you by first reading 1 Corinthians 15:20-28.
“But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the FIRST FRUITS of them that slept (or those in heaven awaiting their change to be clothed with immortality).
21. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. (all of mankind will be resurrected, but NOT all will be given eternal life. There are TWO and only two resurrection: one right before the Millennium starts at the second coming of Jesus and on right AFTER the Millennium to judge the REST of the dead and keep in mind that the children of the remnant of Israel will live and die during their GENERATION during the Millennium. So there will be BOTH righteous and wicked resurrected in the second and final resurrection. See Revelation 20.)
22. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
23. But every man in his own order: #1. Christ the first fruits; afterward #2. they that are Christ's at his coming.
24. Then #3. comes the end, when he (Jesus the arm of Yahweh) shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he (the Father) shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
25. For he (Jesus the arm of Yahweh the Father) must reign, till he (the Father) has put all enemies under his feet.
26. The LAST enemy that shall be destroyed is death. (see Revelation 20 which teach us that death and hell will be cast into the lake of fire at the end of the Millennium or 1000 year long day of the Lord.)
27. For he (Yahweh the Father) has put all things under his feet. But when he (Yahweh, Almighty God, the Father) said all things are put under him (Jesus, the SON OF Almighty God teh Father), it is manifest (or it is clearly made know and understood) that he (Yahweh the Father) is excepted (I other words, please do NOT misunderstand what I am saying here. I am NOT saying that Yahweh highly exalted his Son Jesus to be ABOVE himself, but rather that Yahweh gave his Son a NAME that is above every other name EXCEPT for being above Yahweh himself the God and father OF his Son Jesus), which did put all things under him.
28. And WHEN all things shall be subdued unto him (AT the END of the SEVENTH 1000 year long day of the Lord WHILE Jesus rules and reigns as the Lord OF the SABBATH), THEN shall the Son ALSO HIMSELF be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.”
Jesus was, is, and ever shall be subject under Yahweh the Father, but during the TRUE SABBATH Jesus will be the Lord OF the SEVENTH 1000 year long day while Yahweh REST giving all the decision making TO his Son Jesus his King of kings and Lord of lords.
And AFTER that 1000 year long SEVENTH day of Yahweh's REST Almighty God the Father will begin the EIGHT DAY of CREATION to create the NEW heaven and the NEW earth wherein only HIS righteousness will dwell in the ages to come for all eternity.
Let us now take a look at the LITERAL word for word translation of Genesis 2:1-3.
“And they ARE BEING FINISHED the heavens and the earth and all the hosts of them,
2. And he IS FINISHING Elohim IN day the seventh work of him which he did, AND he is CEASING IN day the seventh from all of work of him he did.
3. And he is blessing Elohim day of seventh AND he IS making holy HIM(believers IN Jesus) that IN HIM(IN JESUS) CEASED from all work of HIM which he created Elohim to to do of.”
This is one of those HIDDEN jots and tittles Jesus was speaking about that HE fulfilled. This is a hidden prophecy of Jesus and those whom God is making holy IN him or IN Jesus who have CEASED from the OWN good works of self righteousness wherein is BOASTING.
Please read Hebrews chapters 3 and 4 together to understand the WHOLE context. Remember and keep in mind that the book of Hebrews were written to the Hebrew Jewish Christians.
“Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, CONSIDER the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; (CONSIDER how even Jesus needed to OVERCOME and be FAITHFUL and obedient to do all the Father gave him to do even to suffer a cruel death on the cross BEFORE God highly exalted him and granted him to sit on his throne in glory. Please see Revelation 3:21 “To him that overcomes will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I ALSO overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.” Also see Philippians 2:9-13 and Psalm 148:13,14.)
2. Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house.
3. For this MAN (Jesus) was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who has built the house has more honor than the house. (WE are the house that Yahweh built through or by way of his Son Jesus and is still yet building his house or temple)
4. For every house is built by some man; but he that built all things is God.
5. And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken AFTER; (Moses in the law or in the Torah PROPHESIED of Jesus as being the Prophet that God would raise up like Moses and that whosoever did not HEARKEN to HIS words, the words of Jesus would be cut off from among the people.)
6. But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, IF we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end. (IF we hold fast our FAITH IN Jesus and IN HIS teachings unto the END we shall be saved to receive eternal life in the world to come)
7. Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost says, To day if you will hear HIS VOICE, ( Yahweh's voice or word of prophecy that he himself Gave to Moses to give to the children of Israel to HEARKEN to the voice of his Son Jesus, the promised Messiah)
8. Harden NOT your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
9. When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
10. Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have NOT known my ways.
11 So I swore in my wrath, They shall NOT enter into my REST.)
12. Take heed, BRETHREN (the writer is talking to true born again Jewish Christians as well as to Gentile Christians to take HEED), lest there be in ANY of you an evil heart of UNBELIEF, in DEPARTING from the living God.
13. But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
14. For we are made partakers of Christ, IF we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast unto the END;
15. While it is said, To day if you will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
16. For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.
17. But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness? (But WHAT was their SIN? Their sin was DOUBT and UNBELIEF to go and TAKE the land that God had GIVEN them. So those in unbelief God did not allow to enter into the land flowing with milk and honey, the promised land)
18 And to whom swore he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
19. So we see that they could NOT enter in BECAUSE OF UNBELIEF.”
So now that we see the REASON of WHY God would NOT allow them to enter in his REST, the promise land, which is a type, figure or SHADOW of the SEVENTH 1000 year long day of the Lord, the world yet to come, let us now read Hebrews 4:1-11.
“Let us therefore FEAR, lest (or for fear that), a promise being left us of ENTERING into his REST, any of you should seem to come SHORT of it. (remember that the SIN was UNBELIEF, which can mean unbelief in many things. It can mean not truly believing that you have been made FREE from sin and sin has NO MORE dominion over you. It can mean that you doubt that God has forgiven you. It can mean that you are a Christian in name only and you doubt that you are saved. Or in can mean that you are trying to keep BOTH the OLD covenant AND the NEW covenant just to be safe so you have DOUBT that you ARE COMPLETE IN Jesus and that the teachings of the NEW Testament are ALL you need to receive eternal life in the world to come.)
2. For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, NOT being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3. For we which have believed DO ENTER into REST, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4. For he spoke in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest (or CEASES) the seventh day from all his works. (Again the LITERAL reads IN the seventh day like Genesis 2:1-3, which we already read from the literal translation to show that Yahweh has not yet RESTED on any day of the week but SHALL rest IN the seventh 1000 year long day of the Lord, while Jesus is the Lord OF the SABBATH rest of Yahweh)
5. And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
6. Seeing therefore it remains that SOME must enter therein, and they to whom it was FIRST preached entered not in because of unbelief:
7. Again, he LIMITS a certain day, saying in David, TODAY, after so long a time; as it is said, TODAY if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. (the writer is saying that TODAY, the church age is that day of salvation and ONLY those who are REST IN Jesus having CEASED from their OWN works that THEY THINK will make them righteous, will enter into the TRUE SEVENTH DAY of REST the 1000 year reign of Jesus, in new glorified immortal bodies of flesh and bone like Jesus has now to rule and reign WITH Jesus over the remnant of Israel and those left alive of the nations)
8. For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. (meaning that their rest was a type, figure, or shadow pointing to the TRUE rest in the world yet to come and the ages to come after that.)
9. There remains therefore a rest to the people of God.
10. For he that IS ENTERED INTO his REST, he also has CEASED from his OWN WORKS, as God did from his. (Jesus said came unto ME you who are heavy laden and I will give you REST. Jesus told the Jesus that they search the scriptures, the Old Testament, the law and the prophet for eternal life and they did not understand that the scripture spoke of HIM, even every last jot and tittle, spoke of JESUS becoming the SIGN of the NEW COVENANT)
11. Let us labor (or be DILIGENT) therefore to enter into THAT REST, (or move precisely let us all be diligent to enter into THAT CEASING of our OWN good works that we THINK makes us righteous and PLEASING to God) lest any man fall after the same example of UNBELIEF.”
Remember that the book of Hebrews was written to HEBREW Jewish Christians, where SOME were seducing, subverting, bewitching, beguiling and even compelling other Christians to KEEP the LAW of MOSES in order to be saved. They were in UNBELIEF by not fully trusting and having FAITH solely in the NEW covenant establish in the shed blood of Jesus.
There are some Christians in the church today, who are refusing to BELIEVE that Jesus IS the Sabbath REST. And others, who do see this truth that Jesus is their Sabbath, but yet they still fear that they MUST keep the Sabbath day as the Jews lest they sin.
I understand your fear if this is you. I was made to FEAR that if I left the Roman Catholic church I would go to hell and the only way I could escape hell was to be a Catholic, because they alone are the one true church. And then when I saw from the word of God the TRUTH I had to fight that fear and choose God's WORD over what I had been previously taught be man.
I understand that those who taught you that you must keep the ten commandments first showed you in God's word that we must keep the commandments in order to be given the right to eat of the tree of life when Jesus returns to receive eternal life in the world to come.
“Blessed are they that DO his commandments, THAT they (ONLY those of us who OBEY the commandments of God) may have RIGHT to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.15. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whore mongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loves and makes a lie.”
Then they conclude that Jesus must without fail be speaking of the TEN commandments and therefore you were made to fear that the must keep the FOURTH commandment by the enticing words of MAN'S wisdom planting DOUBT in their minds like HOW can God give TEN commandments and then only keep NINE? They further expound on their teaching by asking WHY do not Christians keep the SEVENTH day of the week like the FOURTH commandment teaches?
Well early answers by Christians throughout church history have been, because the apostles of Jesus and the early first century church kept the Lord's day, the FIRST day of the week. And for many hundreds of years that simple answer was all that was needed to keep most Christians in the faith of the TRUE gospel of Jesus Christ to not esteem any day of the week above another as a must without fail day of the week which was an obligation or duty to keep lest you sin.
But in the last one hundred plus years the SEVENTH day of the week Sabbath keeping movement has come again in the church. It was opposed quite successfully at first, and throughout the history of the church, but in these last days it has been joined by many Hebrew Roots Movement groups, who are subverting Christians to KEEP the LAW of Moses written in the OLD Testament under the OLD covenant in order to PLEASE God. Not necessarily to be saved and receive eternal life in the world to come like Revelation 22:14,15 teaches, but just simply to PLEASE God.
Dear child of God can you not see that what pleases the Father is for us to BELIEVE on his SON Jesus and to obey only what Yahweh himself gave to his Son to teach to US under the NEW COVENANT written in the NEW Testament? I pray that you read all the studies listed below and share them with others to set them free from the YOKE of bondage that Satan has placed upon perhaps you and them, if so be that you are a seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping Christian. If so you may not see the keeping of a day of the week as a YOKE. Now I am not the one who said it was a YOKE, but rather I am just merely quoting what the Bible ITSELF teaches us.
Please read the words of the apostle Peter in Acts 15:6-12, when the Jews were compelling the Gentile Christians to keep the LAW of Moses, which was the law of God that he gave to the children of Israel for THEM to keep throughout THEIR generations.
“And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this MATTER. (this matter of whether of not the Gentile Christians should keep the LAW of Moses.)
7. And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, (this is the great apostle PETER, who is AGREEING with the teachings of Paul saying) Men and brethren, you know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the GOSPEL, and believe.
8. And God, which knows the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
9. And put NO difference between us and them, purifying their hearts BY FAITH.
10. Now therefore why TEMPT YOU GOD, to put a YOKE upon the neck of the disciples, which NEITHER our fathers NOR WE were ABLE to BEAR?
11. But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
12. Then all the multitude KEPT silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.”
The MATTER was decided that day by the apostles of Jesus Christ, being lead by the Holy Spirit to lay NOTHING on the Gentile Christians except FOUR things and NONE of those four things was the keeping of ANY DAY of the WEEK, not Saturday NOR Sunday. Christians are NOT OBLIGATED by Almighty God himself to keep ANY day of the week, but rather it is MAN, who places that YOKE of obligation and duty upon Christians. Yes we are encouraged and exhorted to assemble together, but NOT as a MUST lest we SIN obligatory assembling together.
Some seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping Christians try and argue that the Jews were not able to bear the old covenant, because Jesus had not yet died on the cross to cleans them so that the Holy Spirit could dwell in them to EMPOWER them to KEEP to Old covenant. But this argument does NOT hold water, because Peter and Paul BOTH were FILLED with the Holy Spirit and they BOTH clearly taught that we are NOT to keep the law of God given to Moses to give to the children of Israel for THEM to keep throughout THEIR generations. Those ordinances and SHADOWS of the law were nailed to the cross and FULFILLED by Jesus. We will cover Colossians 2:8-17 shortly but first let us read to WHOM the keeping of the Sabbath was given.
Please read Exodus 31:
And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
“And the LORD (Yahweh himself) spoke unto Moses, saying,
13. Speak you also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my Sabbaths you shall keep: for it is a SIGN between me and YOU throughout YOUR generations; that YOU may KNOW (KNOW WHAT?) that I am the LORD that does sanctify you. (that they would KNOW that it is Yahweh alone who does sanctify them to make the holy and righteous. The Sabbath was a SIGN given to Israel for them to REMEMBER that it was Yahweh who delivered them out of the bondage of Egypt. Gave gave them this sign to point to his yet coming DELIVERER their Messiah who would then become to SIGN between them and God that they were keeping his NEW COVENANT.)14. YOU shall keep the Sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto YOU: every one that defiles it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever does any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
15. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever does any work in the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
16. Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout THEIR generations, for a perpetual covenant.
17. It is a SIGN between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
18. And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.”
Now some seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping Christians try to explain AWAY the FACT that the keeping of the seventh day of the week was given ONLY to the children of Israel for THEM to keep throughout THEIR generations by claiming that God gave the Sabbath rest to all of mankind in Genesis 2:1-3 BEFORE the law was given to Moses to given to the children of Israel.
But that is NOT what the Bible ITSELF teaches us.
Please read Deuteronomy 5:1-22.
“And Moses called ALL ISRAEL, and said unto THEM, Hear, O ISRAEL, the statutes and judgments which I speak in YOUR ears this day, that YOU may LEARN them, and keep, and do them.
2. The LORD our God made a covenant with US in Horeb.
So then, some seventh day of the week Saturday Sabbath keeping Christians are MAKING A LIE by dogmatically demanding that God gave the keeping of the Sabbath day to ALL of mankind in Genesis 2:1-3, because clearly the Bible ITSELF in the above two passages of scripture we just read clearly teach us that God ave the keeping of the Sabbath ONLY to the children of Israel for THEM to keep throughout THEIR generations.
The seventh day Sabbath keeping Christians use Matthew 5:17,18 INTERPRETING those words of Jesus to mean that Jesus did not destroy or abolish not one jot or tittle of the law and NONE of the law has been abolished or shall pass away until heaven and earth passes away. Then they combine Matthew 5:17,18 with Isaiah 42:21 to argue that Jesus came to FULFILL the law in order to prove that the law COULD be kept and Isaiah is a prophecy of Jesus that proves that Jesus came to MAGNIFY the LAW and make it HONORABLE.
Again let us INTERPRET the scriptures in the LIGHT of ALL the other scriptures and we have just read a little while ago that Peter himself being lead by the Holy Spirit said that he, the other Jewish apostles and disciples of Jesus NOR their father before them were ABLE to BEAR the LAW that was given to them by Moses. With this truth in VIEW let us now CORRECTLY interpret Isaiah 42:18-21.
“Hear, you deaf; and look, you blind, that you may see.19. Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD'S servant? (Yahweh is talking to Jesus through the scriptures. The religious church has given us the idea that Jesus knew everything, because he was Almighty God himself. But the truth of the matter is that Jesus was TAUGHT by the Holy Spirit. This is another study in and of itself, but for now please know that this passage of scripture is indeed speaking of Jesus, because know man was perfect to keep the whole law without spot or blemish)
20. Seeing many things, but you observe not; opening the ears, but he hears not.
21. The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he (Jesus) will MAGNIFY the LAW, and make it (the LAW) HONORABLE.”
Now when you combine this verse 21 with the Seventh day of teh week Sabbath keeping Christians INTERPRETATION of Matthew 5:17.18 then it sound as if Jesus made the law IMPOSSIBLE to keep for any of mankind. And their interpretations make the teachings of the apostles of Jesus contradict the seventh day Sabbath keeping Christians interpretation of Matthew 5:17,18.
But when when consider the true correct meanings of the Hebrew words translated as MAGNIFY and HONORABLE everything agrees perfectly. The core base root meanings to the Hebrew words translated as magnify and honorable are "TWIST" and "EXPAND".
“The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he (Jesus) will TWIST the LAW, and make it (the LAW) EXPAND.”
Now that does not make sense, which is what I said the the Holy Spirit and then he prompted me to look up the meaning of the word "TWIST". When I read the definition it all click. I understood what the Holy Spirit was showing me.
The word "twist" has the meaning of combining two cords together, as in, a rope to make ONE strong rope. The word "expand" means to OPEN UP. Jesus did both of these things. Jesus COMBINED the OLD covenant with the NEW covenant to make ONE NEW LAW and Jesus OPENED UP this NEW LAW to the Gentiles.
So then what part of the OLD covenant did Jesus combine with the NEW covenant. Remember the words of Jesus in Matthew 5:21 to the end of that chapter? Jesus said to the JEWS you have heard it said, but I SAY unto you. Jesus made the MORAL law stricter, but not really. What do I mean by this? Jesus took away the LETTER of the law by combining the moral law of the Old covenant with LOVE. The Jews kept the law out of fear, obligation and duty.
But we, who under the NEW covenant keep the moral law of God out of LOVE, because God has GIVEN us his Spirit of LOVE and he has written HIS law on our HEARTS. We, who are true born again Christian do not have to be told by MAN to obey God, because our hearts cry out to obey his Holy Spirit. We simply can NOT sin without the Holy Spirit convicting us of sin. We do not need to be told by man what is sin and what is not sin, because the Holy Spirit dwelling IN us warns us we we are about to sin. And if we do sin he then convicts us of sin.
As I have said in some of my other studies on this subject that I was taught by the Roman Catholic church before I was a true born again Christian that if I missed church on Sunday or another holy day of OBLIGATION that it was a SIN, And not just a minor sin, but rather it was a MORTAL sin that would send one straight to hell if they did not confess their sin and do penance. So later when I skipped church to go to a friends house I was convicted of sinning.
But why was I convicted of sinning, when NO WHERE in the Bible ITSELF does it ever teach us that it is a SIN to miss church on a SUNDAY? From this I learned that being convicted of wrong doing is NOT always from the Holy Spirit.
Then the was the time that the Holy Spirit himself convicted me of sin, when NO man ever taught me it was a sin. Before I became a born again Christian I used to partake with my friends in a friendly game of poking fun at each other with cut down words. But AFTER I became a born again Christian the Holy Spirit would not allow me to jest any more and I would cringe when I was around those who did cut each other down. I did not learn til later why I felt so bad about jesting, when before I had so much fun doing it. I read for myself in the Bible that we are NOT to jest.
I shared all of this to share that NEVER not even ONE single time has the Holy Spirit ever convicted me of NOT keeping Saturday, the seventh day of the week as the Jews. When I asked God if I was sinning he showed me that I WAS KEEPING HIS TRUE SABBATH by my FAITH in his SON Jesus.
Now if you LOVE going to church on a Saturday or you LOVE going to church on a Sunday, then praise God you are not sinning. But if you KEEP ANY day of the week as an OBLIGATION lest you sin, then you are in UNBELIEF of the TRUE gospel of Jesus Christ.
Some CLAIM the the early church kept the Sabbath as the Jews, but I assure you that the early first century church were accustomed to gathering together BEFORE the light of day break on the FIRST day of the week that THEY called the Lord's day.
Here is a NON BIAS historical account found in a letter from Pliny the Younger to Trojan concerning the Christians.
Pliny was a Roman who persecuted and killed Christians, so again this is a historical NON BIAS account of WHEN Christians gathered together.
Here is what Pliny says in his letter to Trajan. The EMPHASIS and comments are mine:
“That they were WONT (or as they were ACCUSTOMED and USED to do, or in the HABIT of doing), on a STATED day (or on a CERTAIN preset day), to meet together BEFORE IT WAS LIGHT, and to sing a hymn to Christ, as to a god, alternately; and to oblige themselves by a sacrament [or oath], not to do anything that was ill: but that they would commit no theft, or pilfering, or adultery; that they would not break their promises, or deny what was deposited with them, when it was required back again; after which it was their CUSTOM to depart, AND to meet AGAIN at a common but innocent meal,(so after the hard worship service early morning beginning before day light they would depart and they come back together later that same to to share a common simple meal together, and most likely break bread together as other early church writers give more detail) which they had left off upon that edict which I published at your command, and wherein I had forbidden any such conventicles (or religious meetings).”
Below are some quotes of early church writers that clearly teach us that the early church did NOT keep the Sabbath day, as in, on SATURDAY, the 7th day of the week, but rather the early church throughout history from it's beginning worshiped God on SUNDAY the FIRST day of the week, which is sometimes referred to as the EIGHTH day of the week or the day AFTER the Sabbath day, or the LORD'S DAY.
(The emphasis is mine in these quotes given below):
The date is given first and the source is given at the end.
Quote number #:
#1. 90 AD DIDACHE:
"Christian Assembly on the Lord's Day:
1. But every Lord's day do ye gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure.
2. But let no one that is at variance with his fellow come together with you, until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be profaned.
3. For this is that which was spoken by the Lord: In every place and time offer to me a pure sacrifice; for I am a great King, saith the Lord, and my name is wonderful among the nations." (Didache: The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles, Chapter XIV)
#2. 100 AD BARNABAS:
"We keep the eighth day [Sunday] with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead" (The Epistle of Barnabas, 100 AD 15:6-8).
#3. 100 AD BARNABAS:
Moreover God says to the Jews, 'Your new moons and Sabbaths I cannot endure.' You see how he says, 'The present Sabbaths are not acceptable to me, but the Sabbath which I have made in which, when I have rested [heaven: Heb 4] from all things, I will make the beginning of the eighth day which is the beginning of another world.' Wherefore we Christians keep the eighth day for joy, on which also Jesus arose from the dead and when he appeared ascended into heaven. (15:8f, The Epistle of Barnabas, 100 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , vol. 1, pg. 147)
#4. 110 AD Pliny:
They were in the habit of meeting on a certain fixed day before it was light, when they sang in alternate verses a hymn to Christ, as to a god, and bound themselves by a solemn oath not to (do) any wicked deeds, never to commit any fraud, theft, or adultery, never to falsify their word, nor deny a trust when they should be called upon to deliver it up; after which it was their custom to separate, and then reassemble to partake of good food—but food of an ordinary and innocent kind. (About three years after the death of Ignatius in 250, an important official communication was sent from one Pliny to Trajan the Roman emperor. Pliny, the Roman governor of Bithynia, wrote of the Christians who had been congregating there probably from at least A.D. 62 onwards. In this remarkable it is explicitly stated that these early Christians observed the substance of most of the Ten Commandments, and it is implied that they observed all ten as far as they were able to do so. As far as they were able, for as most of the early Christians were of slave stock or from other lower classes'-, and those who had heathen masters or employers—the vast majority—would be forced to work on THEIR day of rest, which was unfortunately an official working day throughout the empires' until Constantine's "Sabbath" Edict in 321 A.D. gave them some measure of public protection. Hence one reads that after meeting "on a certain FIXED day before it was light", the first century Bithynian Christians had "to separate"—many of them having to labour for their masters and/or employers from dawn to dusk—"and then reassemble to partake of . . . food". The "certain fixed day" [stato die"'] on which the Christians met, is regarded by Seventh-day Adventists as Saturday'-. Certainly the expression would seem to indicate a regular day of meeting, probably each week. But Sunday is FAR more likely to have been the "certain fixed day" than Saturday. For if Pliny had been referring to the old Saturday Sabbath, as a Roman he would doubtless have referred to the "later" meeting first and only then to the morning meeting on the day after the "certain fixed day", seeing that the old Saturday Sabbath was demarcated from the evening of one day to the evening of the following day. But Pliny makes no such reference. Instead, he mentions that the pre-dawn meeting took place first—and only after wards the later meeting; and that both meetings took place on the SAME "certain fixed day". This rather points to the Roman (and—more importantly!—New Testament) midnight to midnight demarcation of modern Sunday-keepers than to the evening to evening demarcation of the Jews and the Seventh-day Adventists. (The Covenantial Sabbath, Francis Nigel Lee, Pg 242)
Also I myself will further add to the comment of the writer above that mere common sense plainly teaches us that Pliny was clearly speaking of SUNDAY, because the LAW that Constantine passed was not to mandate work on SUNDAY so that these Christians could worship God on SUNDAY. So the CLAIM by the Seventh Day Advent church that the fixed day of worship for Christians was a Saturday is FALSE. Other wise Constantine would have made it a law the employers allowed Christians off for work on a Saturday rather than on a Sunday.
This PROVES beyond any shadow of a doubt that the Christians were ALREADY worshiping God on SUNDAY the FIRST DAY of the week from the very beginning of the church on the day of Pentecost. The truth of the matter is that Constantine only made it easier for Christians to worship God on Sunday without being persecuted by their employers or owners by passing the EDICT making it a LAW to force heathen employers to let their employees have at least some time off from work so that they could worship God on SUNDAY.
Every Sabbath keeper will AGREE that Constantine's "SABBATH" is referring to SUNDAY as the day of the week and NOT as Saturday being the REST for Christians. Again all the Constantine did was to pass a law making it EASIER fro Christian to worship on the DAY that they had ALREADY been worshiping on since the very beginning at the DAY of PENTECOST, which is on SUNDAY the FIRST day of the week that Christian called the LORD'S day the day our Lord rose from the grave.
Open your EYES dear child of God and read what these early church writings are teaching us about the EARLIEST believers as to which day the early church worshiped God. SUNDAY has ALWAYS been the Sabbath or the day of REST of the early church and the church throughout it's entire history.
#5. 150 AD EPISTLE OF THE APOSTLES:
- I [Christ] have come into being on the eighth day which is the day of the Lord. (18)
#6. 150 AD JUSTIN:
"He then speaks of those Gentiles, namely us, who in every place offer sacrifices to Him, i.e., the bread of the Eucharist, and also the cup of the Eucharist, affirming both that we glorify His name, and that you profane [it]. The command of circumcision, again, bidding [them] always circumcise the children on the eighth day, was a type of the true circumcision, by which we are circumcised from deceit and iniquity through Him who rose from the dead on the first day AFTER the Sabbath, [namely through] our Lord Jesus Christ. For the first day after the Sabbath, remaining the first of all the days, is called, however, the eighth, according to the number of all the days of the cycle, and [yet] remains the first.". (Justin, Dialogue 41:4)
#7. 150 AD JUSTIN:
...those who have persecuted and do persecute Christ, if they do not repent, shall not inherit anything on the holy mountain. But the Gentiles, who have believed on Him, and have repented of the sins which they have committed, they shall receive the inheritance along with the patriarchs and the prophets, and the just men who are descended from Jacob, even although theyneither keep the Sabbath, nor are circumcised, nor observe the feasts. Assuredly they shall receive the holy inheritance of God. (Dialogue With Trypho the Jew, 150-165 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , vol. 1, page 207)
#8. 150 AD JUSTIN:
But if we do not admit this, we shall be liable to fall into foolish opinion, as if it were not the same God who existed in the times of Enoch and all the rest, who neither were circumcised after the flesh, nor observed Sabbaths, nor any other rites, seeing that Moses enjoined such observances... For if there was no need of circumcision before Abraham, or of the observance of Sabbaths, of feasts and sacrifices, before Moses; no more need is there of them now, after that, according to the will of God, Jesus Christ the Son of God has been born without sin, of a virgin sprung from the stock of Abraham. (Dialogue With Trypho the Jew, 150-165 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , vol. 1, page 206)
#9. 150 AD JUSTIN:
Moreover, all those righteous men already mentioned [after mentioning Adam. Abel, Enoch, Lot, Noah, Melchizedek, and Abraham], though they kept no Sabbaths, were pleasing to God; and after them Abraham with all his descendants until Moses... And you [fleshly Jews] were commanded to keep Sabbaths, that you might retain the memorial of God. For His word makes this announcement, saying, "That you may know that I am God who redeemed you." (Dialogue With Trypho the Jew, 150-165 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , vol. 1, page 204)
#10. 150 AD JUSTIN:
There is no other thing for which you blame us, my friends, is there than this? That we do not live according to the Law, nor, are we circumcised in the flesh as your forefathers, nor do we observe the Sabbath as you do. (Dialogue with Trypho 10:1. In verse 3 the Jew Trypho acknowledges that Christians 'do not keep the Sabbath.')
#11. 155 AD Justin Martyr:
"[W]e too would observe the fleshly circumcision, and the Sabbaths, and in short all the feasts, if we did not know for what REASON they were enjoined [on] you--namely, on account of your transgressions and the hardness of your heart. . . . [H]ow is it, Trypho, that we would not observethose rites which do not harm us--I speak of fleshly circumcision AND Sabbaths AND feasts? . . . God enjoined you [Jews] to keep the Sabbath,and impose on you other precepts for a sign, as I have already said, on account of your unrighteousness and that of your fathers" (Dialogue with Trypho the Jew 18, 21).
#12. 180 AD ACTS OF PETER:
- Paul had often contended with the Jewish teachers and had confuted them, saying 'it is Christ on whom your fathers laid hands. He abolished their Sabbath and fasts and festivals and circumcision.' (1: I)-2
#13. 180 AD GOSPEL OF PETER:
Early in the morning when (the Sabbath dawned, a multitude from Jerusalem and the surrounding country came to see the scaled sepulchre. In the night in which the Lord's day dawned, while the soldiers in pairs for each watch were keeping guard, a great voice came from heaven. [There follows an account of the resurrection. Early in the morning of the Lord's day Mary Magdalene, a disciple of the Lord .... came to the sepulchre. (9:34f.; 12:50f.)
#14. 190 AD CLEMENT OF ALEXANDRIA:
(in commenting on each of the Ten Commandments and their Christian meaning:) The seventh day is proclaimed a day of rest, PREPARING by abstention from evil FOR the Primal day, our TRUE rest. (Ibid. VII. xvi. 138.1)
I will add that the meaning of the word "Primal" means an "ARCHETYPAL", which means an original TYPE pointing to the TRUE. So this early church writer is saying what Paul teaches us in scripture that the things in the OLD Testament are TYPES and SHADOWS or the TRUE which was to come. Jesus became our SABBATH, and we have entered into our REST being in Jesus Christ. The SABBATH was an ARCHETYPAL pointing toward our TRUE REST which was to come being FULFILLED in the ATONEMENT of Jesus.
#15. 190 AD CLEMENT OF ALEXANDRIA:
He does the commandment according to the Gospel and keeps the Lord's day, whenever he puts away an evil mind . . . glorifying the Lord's resurrection in himself. (Ibid. Vii.xii.76.4)
#16. 190 AD CLEMENT OF ALEXANDRIA:
Plato prophetically speaks of the Lord's day in the tenth book of the Republic, in these words: 'And when seven days have passed to each of them in the meadow, on the eighth they must go on." (Miscellanies V.xiv.106.2)
#17. 200 AD BARDESANES:
Wherever we are, we are all called after the one name of Christ Christians. On one day, the first of the week, we assemble ourselves together (On Fate)
#18. 200 AD TERTULLIAN:
"We solemnize the day AFTER Saturday in contradistinction to those who call this day their Sabbath" (Tertullian's Apology, Ch 16)
In other words, Tertullian is saying that we Christians DISTINGUISH us from the JEWS who hold Saturday as THEIR Sabbath by solemnizing or reverencing the day AFTER Saturday as our day of worship and rest.
#19. 200 AD TERTULLIAN:
It follows, accordingly, that, in so far as the abolition of carnal circumcision and of the old law is demonstrated as having been consummated at its specific times, so ALSO the observance of the Sabbath is demonstrated to have been temporary. (An Answer to the Jews 4:1, Ante-Nicene Fathers Vol. 3, page 155)
#20. 200 AD TERTULLIAN:
Let him who contends that the Sabbath is still to be observed a balm of salvation, and circumcision on the eighth day because of threat of death, teach us that in earliest times righteous men kept Sabbath or practiced circumcision, and so were made friends of God. .. ...Therefore, since God originated Adam uncircumcised, and inobservant of the Sabbath, consequently his offspring also, Abel, offering Him sacrifices, uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, was by Him commended... Noah also, uncircumcised - yes, and inobservant of the Sabbath - God freed from the deluge. For Enoch, too, most righteous man, uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, He translated from this world... Melchizedek also, "the priest of most high God," uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, was chosen to the priesthood of God. (An Answer to the Jews 2:10; 4:1, Ante-Nicene Fathers Vol. 3, page 153)
#21. 200 AD TERTULLIAN:
Others . . . suppose that the sun is the god of the Christians, because it is well-known that we regard Sunday as a day of joy. (To the Nations 1: 133)
Keep in mind that this was well BEFORE Constantine SUPPOSEDLY CHANGED the day of rest and worship to SUNday as the Seventh Day Adventist church CLAIMS. But it TRUTH Christians had ALREADY been worshiping God on SUNDAY, the FIRST day of the week that they also called the LORD'S day, the day that our Lord and savior Jesus rose from the dead.
So as early as Tertullian in 200 AD there were groups of JEWS and Christian JEWS who ASSUMED or who SUPPOSED, or who FALSELY ACCUSED Christians for worshiping God on SUNDAY that they were worshiping a sun god and not the true God.
#22. 200 AD TERTULLIAN:
To us Sabbaths are foreign. (On Idolatry, 14:6)4
#23. 220 AD ORIGEN:
"On Sunday none of the actions of the world should be done. If then, you abstain from all the works of this world and keep yourselves free for spiritual things, go to church, listen to the readings and divine homilies, meditate on heavenly things. (Homil. 23 in Numeros 4, PG 12:749)
#24. 220 AD Origen:
"Hence it is not possible that the [day of] rest after the Sabbath should have come into existence from the seventh [day] of our God. On the contrary, it is our Savior who, after the pattern of his own rest, caused us to be made in the likeness of his death, and hence also of his resurrection" (Commentary on John 2:28).
#25. 225 AD The Didascalia:
"The apostles further appointed: On the first day of the week let there be service, and the reading of the Holy Scriptures, and the oblation, because on the first day of the week our Lord rose from the place of the dead, and on the first day of the week he arose upon the world, and on the first day of the week he ascended up to heaven, and on the first day of the week he will appear at last with the angels of heaven" (Didascalia 2).
And I add further that the church BEGAN on the day of Pentecost on a SUNDAY, the FIRST day of the week. The early church evidence and the word of TRUTH, the Holy Bible make it quite clear that the early church worshiped God on SUNDAY the FIRST day of the week, called the LORD'S day and that they did NOT KEEP the Sabbath day as the JEWS.
#26. 250 AD CYPRIAN:
The eight day, that is, the first day after the Sabbath, and the Lord's Day." (Epistle 58, Sec 4)
#27. 250 AD IGNATIUS:
"If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord's Day, on which also our life has sprung up again by Him and by His death-whom some deny, by which mystery we have obtained faith, and therefore endure, that we may be found the disciples of Jesus Christ, our only Master-how shall we be able to live apart from Him, whose disciples the prophets themselves in the Spirit did wait for Him as their Teacher? And therefore He whom they rightly waited for, being come, raised them from the dead. If, then, those who were conversant with the ancient Scriptures came to newness of hope, expecting the coming of Christ, as the Lord teaches us when He says, "If ye had believed Moses, ye would have believed Me, for he wrote of Me; " and again, "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it, and was glad; for before Abraham was, I am; " how shall we be able to live without Him? The prophets were His servants, and foresaw Him by the Spirit, and waited for Him as their Teacher, and expected Him as their Lord and Saviour, saying, "He will come and save us." Let us therefore NO longer keep the Sabbath after the Jewish manner, and rejoice in days of idleness; for "he that does not work, let him not eat." For say the [holy] oracles, "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat thy bread." But let every one of you keep the Sabbath after a spiritual manner, rejoicing in meditation on the law, NOT in relaxation of the body, admiring the workmanship of God, and not eating things prepared the day before, nor using lukewarm drinks, and walking within a prescribed space, nor finding delight in dancing and plaudits which have no sense in them. And after the observance of the Sabbath, let every friend of Christ keep the Lord's Day as a festival, the resurrection-day, the queen and chief of all the days [of the week].Looking forward to this, the prophet declared, "To the end, for the eighth day," on which our life both sprang up again, and the victory over death was obtained in Christ, whom the children of perdition, the enemies of the Saviour, deny, "whose god is their belly, who mind earthly things," who are "lovers of pleasure, and not lovers of God, having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof." These make merchandise of Christ, corrupting His word, and giving up Jesus to sale: they are corrupters of women, and covetous of other men's possessions, swallowing up wealth insatiably; from whom may ye be delivered by the mercy of God through our Lord Jesus Christ! (Epistle of Ignatius to the Magnesians, Chapter IX)
#28. 250 AD IGNATIUS:
"On the day of the preparation, then, at the third hour, He received the sentence from Pilate, the Father permitting that to happen; at the sixth hour He was crucified; at the ninth hour He gave up the ghost; and before sunset He was buried. During the Sabbath He continued under the earth in the tomb in which Joseph of Arimathaea had laid Him. At the dawning of the Lord's day He arose from the dead, according to what was spoken by Himself, "As Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly, so shall the Son of man also be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. "The day of the preparation, then, comprises the passion; the Sabbath embraces the burial; the Lord's Day contains the resurrection." (The Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians, chapter 9)
#29. 250 AD IGNATIUS:
If any one fasts on the Lord's Day or on the Sabbath, except on the paschal Sabbath only, he is a murderer of Christ. (The Epistle of Ignatius to the Philippians, chapter 8)
#30. 250 AD IGNATIUS:
"This [custom], of not bending the knee upon Sunday, is a symbol of the resurrection, through which we have been set free, by the grace of Christ, from sins, and from death, which has been put to death under Him. Now this custom took its rise from apostolic times, as the blessed Irenaeus, the martyr and bishop of Lyons, declares in his treatise On Easter, in which he makes mention of Pentecost also; upon which [feast] we do not bend the knee, because it is of equal significance with the Lord's day, for the reason already alleged concerning it." (Ignatius, Fragments)
#31. 300 AD Victorinus:
"The sixth day [Friday] is called parasceve, that is to say, the preparation of the kingdom. . . . On this day also, on account of the passion of the Lord Jesus Christ, we make either a station to God or a fast. On the seventh day he rested from all his works, and blessed it, and sanctified it. On the former day we are accustomed to fast rigorously, that on the Lord's day we may go forth to our bread with giving of thanks. And let the parasceve become a rigorous fast, lest we should APPEAR to observe ANY Sabbath with the Jews . . . which Sabbath he [Christ] in his body ABOLISHED" (The Creation of the World).
#32. 300 AD EUSEBIUS:
"They did not, therefore, regard circumcision, NOR observe the Sabbath NEITHER do we; ... because such things as these do NOT belong to Christians" (Ecc. Hist., Book 1, Ch. 4)
#33. 300 AD EUSEBIUS:
[The Ebionites] were accustomed to observe the Sabbath and other Jewish customs but on the Lord's days to celebrate the same practices as we in remembrance of the resurrection of the Savior. (Church History Ill.xxvii.5)
I will also add that the Ebionites were Christians who were seduced by the Jews to keep the Jewish customs. In other words, the Ebionites were Judanized Christians. The Ebionites also taught the need to be circumcised in the flesh in order to be saved. Some today would not even consider Ebionites as being true Christians since they went back to trusting the law of Moses to be saved.
#34. 300 AD Eusebius of Caesarea:
"They [the pre- Mosaic saints of the Old Testament] did not care about circumcision of the body, neither do we [Christians]. They did not care about observing Sabbaths, nor do we. They did not avoid certain kinds of food, neither did they regard the other distinctions which Moses first delivered to their posterity to be observed as symbols; nor do Christians of the present day do such things" (Church History 1:4:8).
#35. 300 AD Eusebius of Caesarea:
"The day of his [Christ's] light . . . was the day of his resurrection from the dead, which they say, as being the one and only truly holy day and the Lord's day, is better than any number of days as we ordinarily understand them, and better than the days set apart by the Mosaic Law for feasts, new moons, and Sabbaths, which the Apostle [Paul] teaches are the shadow of days and not days in reality" (Proof of the Gospel 4:16:186).
#36. 345 AD Athanasius:
"The Sabbath was the end of the first creation, the Lord's day was the beginning of the second, in which he renewed and restored the old in the same way as he prescribed that they should formerly observe the Sabbath as a memorial of the end of the first things, so we honor the Lord's day as being the memorial of the new creation" (On Sabbath and Circumcision 3).
#37. 350 AD APOSTOLIC CONSTITUTIONS:
Be not careless of yourselves, neither deprive your Saviour of His own members, neither divide His body nor disperse His members, neither prefer the occasions of this life to the word of God; but assemble yourselves together every day, morning and evening, singing psalms and praying in the Lord's house: in the morning saying the sixty-second Psalm, and in the evening the hundred and fortieth, but principally on the Sabbath-day. And on the day of our Lord's resurrection, which is the Lord's day, meet more diligently, sending praise to God that made the universe by Jesus, and sent Him to us, and condescended to let Him suffer, and raised Him from the dead. Otherwise what apology will he make to God who does not assemble on that day to hear the saving word concerning the resurrection, on which we pray thrice standing in memory of Him who arose in three days, in which is performed the reading of the prophets, the preaching of the Gospel, the oblation of the sacrifice, the gift of the holy food? (Constitutions of the Holy Apostles, book 2)
#38. 350 AD APOSTOLIC CONSTITUTIONS:
"How We Ought to Assemble Together, and to Celebrate the Festival Day of Our Saviour's Resurrection. On the day of the resurrection of the Lord, that is, the Lord's day, assemble yourselves together, without fail, giving thanks to God, and praising Him for those mercies God has bestowed upon you through Christ, and has delivered you from ignorance, error, and bondage, that your sacrifice may be unspotted, and acceptable to God,..." (Constitutions of the Holy Apostles, book 7)
#39. 350 AD Cyril of Jerusalem:
"Fall NOT AWAY either into the sect of the Samaritans or into Judaism, for Jesus Christ has henceforth ransomed you. Stand aloof from ALL observance of Sabbaths and from calling any indifferent meats common or unclean" (Catechetical Lectures 4:37).
#40. 360 AD Council of Laodicea:
"Christians should NOT Judaize and should NOT be idle on the Sabbath, but should work on that day; they should, however, particularly reverence the Lord's day and, if possible, not work on it, because they were Christians" (canon 29).
#41. 387 AD John Chrysostom:
"You have put on Christ, you have become a member of the Lord and been enrolled in the heavenly city, and you still grovel in the Law [of Moses]? How is it possible for you to obtain the kingdom? Listen to Paul's words, that the observance of the Law overthrows the gospel, and learn, if you will, how this comes to pass, and tremble, and shun this pitfall. Why do you keep the Sabbath and fast with the Jews?" (Homilies on Galatians 2:17).
#42. 412 AD Augustine:
"Well, now, I should like to be told what there is in these Ten Commandments, except the observance of the Sabbath, which ought NOT to be kept by a Christian . . . Which of these commandments would anyone say that the Christian ought not to keep? It is possible to contend that it is not the Law which was written on those two tables that the apostle [Paul] describes as 'the letter that kills' [2 Cor. 3:6], but the law of circumcision and the other sacred rites which are now abolished" (The Spirit and the Letter 24).
#43. 597 AD Gregory I:
"But after that the grace of almighty God, our Lord Jesus Christ, has appeared, the commandments of the Law which were spoken figuratively cannot be kept according to the letter. For if anyone says that this about the Sabbath is to be kept, he must needs say that carnal sacrifices are to be offered. He must say too that the commandment about the circumcision of the body is still to be retained. But let him hear the apostle Paul saying in opposition to him: 'If you be circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing' (Gal. 5:2)" (Letters 13:1).
Below are some links to other studies that I have written on this highly controversial subject of should Christians keep Saturday, the seventh day of the week as the only true Sabbath? I pray that you will read them all to become rooted and grounded in the WHOLE word of God to KNOW that Jesus IS OUR SABBATH rest and we ARE keeping the FOURTH commandment BY our FAITH in Jesus as a rest to CEASE from our OWN works of what we THINK makes us pleasing to God.
Please read all the studies linked within this study and all the studies linked below. This study was just the TIP of the iceberg of exposing the ERRORS of interpretation made by the Saturday seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping churches, and the Sunday first day of the week Sabbath keeping Christians.
Thanks for reading and may God bless you richly as you continue to seek the truth of the WHOLE word of Almighty God.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE