DOES MAN HAVE AN
DOES the BIBLE teach us that man has an ETERNAL SOUL?
In other words, was mankind CREATED as an
Does ALL of mankind receive ETERNAL LIFE
when they are RESURRECTED
on the day of JUDGMENT?
The purpose of this study is to answer the above questions in the light of what the whole word of God teaches about ETERNAL LIFE as opposed to what many of us have been taught by the main stream church that the SOUL of man is IMMORTAL. In other words, some of us have been taught that the Bible teaches us that SPIRIT and the SOUL of man is ETERNAL or IMMORTAL and it is only the BODY of man that is MORTAL.
So then, the question at hand is have we been taught correctly that man is an ETERNAL being who possess an IMMORTAL SOUL?
OR does the word of TRUTH, the Holy Bible, teach us that man is a MORTAL being and therefore must be GIVEN ETERNAL LIFE in the world to come in order to become an IMMORTAL being that will never die again?
Which answer is the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God?
Let us begin this study in God's word by going to the BEGINNING when mankind was first CREATED in order to learn if mankind indeed was CREATED with ETERNAL LIFE or possessed an IMMORTAL SOUL. Please read Genesis 2:7-9, which teaches us that when God BREATHED into the man which he first formed formed the dust of the ground that man then became a LIVING SOUL upon the BREATH of LIFE of the Lord God entering into him.
9. And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of LIFE ALSO in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.”
In other words, ALL of what makes MAN to be MAN who is described as being a LIVING SOUL is found right here in this passage of scripture. So then, first God made the BODY of man out of the dust of the earth, then God put his OWN breath of LIFE or his OWN SPIRIT into this body of man that he just formed out of the dust of the ground to create a LIVING SOUL. The Hebrew word that is translated as BREATH of LIFE also means LIFE FORCE and SPIRIT. Therefore Almighty God breathed his OWN SPIRIT into the BODY of mankind that he formed from the dust of the earth to create a living SOUL. Now the question is, “Is this LIVING SOUL, which God CREATED an 'IMMORTAL' being?”
Let me put it to you another way. Since Almighty God breathed his very OWN SPIRIT or BREATH of LIFE into man, who the Bible also says was created in the IMAGE of God where we all know that Almighty God is ETERNAL, does this then MEAN that mankind was created as an IMMORTAL or an ETERNAL being?
Well some do in fact teach that man was created as an ETERNAL being or at least that the SOUL of man was created as an IMMORTAL soul, which they claim can never die or be destroyed. And as a result of this DOCTRINE of the IMMORTAL SOUL that teaches that the SOUL of man never dies nor can it be DESTROYED there also arose the DOCTRINE of ETERNAL TORMENT and TORTURE in the flames of the FIRE of HELL for ALL ETERNITY.
Can you not see my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ, how one FALSE doctrine will lead to accepting ANOTHER FALSE doctrine. In other words, IF one truly believes that the SOUL of man is IMMORTAL where the soul never dies nor can be DESTROYED, then they MUST ALSO believe that the SOUL of WICKED man cannot be destroyed in the lake of FIRE at the end of the age and therefore they must conclude that the WICKED man or at least the SOUL of the WICKED man will be TORMENTED in this lake of fire for ALL ETERNITY.
So then, IS the DOCTRINE of the IMMORTAL SOUL a BIBLICAL SOUND teaching based upon the WHOLE word of God? Let us continue to read in the book of Genesis where we are told that God tells Adam, which means man, that he can eat of ANY tree in the garden EXCEPT for the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Please keep in mind that ALSO in the midst of this garden of Eden is the TREE of LIFE that Adam or mankind was PERMITTED by God to eat. Please read Genesis 2:7-9 along with Genesis 2:16,17 where we see that God WARNS mankind that in the day that he DISOBEYS God he shall DIE.
“And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the BREATH of LIFE; and man became a LIVING SOUL.
8. And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
9. And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of LIFE ALSO in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.”....
“...16. And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of EVERY tree of the garden you may FREELY EAT:
17. BUT of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you shalt NOT eat of it: for in the day that you eat thereof you shall surely die.”
In other words, mankind was permitted by Almighty God to eat or partake of the tree of LIFE in the MIDST of the garden along with ANY other tree, BUT was COMMANDED that he should NOT eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil LEST or for FEAR that he DIE in the very day that he should eat of it. Well we all know that Satan deceived man into disobeying God and as man's punishment he was cast out of the garden to live out his life until he DIED.
Now some would say that since Adam did NOT die physically as soon as he ate of the forbidden tree that this proves that the word “DEATH” does NOT mean a LITERAL PHYSICAL DEATH, but rather means a SEPARATION from God.
I do agree in SPIRITUAL DEATH in that SIN does in fact SEPARATE us from God. But I also believe that Adam did in fact LITERALLY DIE IN the self same DAY that he disobeyed God and ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Please keep in mind that a DAY in God's eyes is as a THOUSAND years and a thousand years is as a DAY and the scripture says, that IN the DAY or DURING that day that you eat of it before that DAY has ended you SHALL die. Well Adam did in fact DIE during that THOUSAND year long DAY of God before it ENDED. Adam died when he was 930 years old, which is IN or during the 1000 year DAY of God.
Also I would like to point out that the moment in which they disobeyed God by eating of the forbidden tree they were NOT totally SEPARATED from God, as in, God would no longer have anything to do with them, because God came as he had always come in the cool of the day to walk with them, but this time they ran and hid themselves. After God called to them asking them where they were they came out from hiding and God himself made them some coats from some animals to clothe their nakedness. This is a type of shadow of God providing his own sacrifice for man's disobedience to cover his sin. God also promised man that the SEED of the woman would bruise, crush or destroy the head of the serpent, which is a prophecy of Jesus being God's LAMB or sacrifice for the sins of the entire world.
The main point that I want you to see in this passage of scripture is that Almighty God placed Cherubim and a flaming sword to GUARD the tree of LIFE so that mankind could NOT partake of it until he could bring forth his LAMB into the world to be sacrificed for the SINS of all of mankind making it possible for all who BELIEVE to be brought back into RIGHT relationship with God, because God did NOT want man to live forever as a SINNER. Please read Genesis 3:21-24, where we learned that while the tree of LIFE was in the midst of the garden and mankind was given the right to eat of it, man instead listened to the lies of Satan and disobeyed God by eating of the forbidden tree. And because man SINNED by disobeying God's commandment, then for THIS VERY REASON the tree of LIFE was KEPT so that the WICKED could NOT partake of it and LIVE FOREVER.
22. And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, LEST (or for FEAR THAT) he put forth his hand, and take ALSO of the tree of LIFE, and eat, and LIVE FOR EVER:
24. So he drove out the man; and he PLACED at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to KEEP the way of the tree of LIFE.”
In other words, in the garden of Eden Almighty God made it IMPOSSIBLE for those of mankind that make the choice to be WICKED, DISOBEDIENT, or live in SIN to partake of the TREE of LIFE and LIVE FOREVER.
Now some Christians CLEARLY and PLAINLY see that the word of TRUTH does in fact teach that mankind was NOT CREATED as an IMMORTAL being or an ETERNAL creature, but they still INSIST that ALL of mankind will one day be RESURRECTED or brought back to LIFE again and at this time they WILL become IMMORTAL beings.
So then, has God CHANGED his MIND. Has God changed his mind of making it IMPOSSIBLE for any WICKED person to EAT of the TREE of LIFE in the garden of Eden to now resurrect the WICKED as IMMORTAL beings to be tortured in the lake of fire for all eternity?
Here are the passages of scripture that THEY use to TRY and prove that the SOUL of the WICKED is IMMORTAL and will never die or be destroyed and therefore conclude that the DOCTRINE of ETERNAL TORMENT and TORTURE in flames of FIRE must be true, because when dead are raised to life again they put on IMMORTALITY, which they CLAIM includes the WICKED as well.
So then, here is what some who teach the DOCTRINE of ETERNAL TORMENT say and use to support their teaching:
First of all some who teach the doctrine of ETERNAL TORMENT in HELL FIRE use 1 Corinthians 15:53 in order to prove that ALL of mankind will one day put on IMMORTALITY and thus become an ETERNAL being. They agree with the word of TRUTH that mankind was NOT CREATED as an ETERNAL being, but they dogmatically demand that ALL of mankind INCLUDING the WICKED will put on IMMORTALITY, when they are RESURRECTED from the dead and they use 1 Corinthians 15:53 to try and support their teaching.
However, the CONTEXT of this verse is speaking of the FIRST resurrection of the dead who are IN CHRIST meaning that this verse is referring to ONLY the RIGHTEOUS who are IN Jesus Christ being given the RIGHT to put on IMMORTALITY at the end of the age. In other words, this verse has nothing whatsoever to do with the WICKED putting on IMMORTALITY, but rather is speaking of the RIGHTEOUS who are found WORTHY to partake of the tree of LIFE and LIVE FOR EVER. Please read Revelation 22:12-15 that clearly teaches us that ONLY those that KEEP the commandments of God will be given the RIGHT to partake of the TREE of LIFE and LIVE FOR EVER and EVER.
“And, behold, I come quickly (speaking of the second coming of Jesus); and my REWARD (referring to the REWARD of ETERNAL LIFE for the RIGHTEOUS and the WAGE of DEATH for SINNERS) is with me, to give every man according as his WORK shall be.
14. Blessed are THEY that DO his commandments, that THEY (speaking of ONLY those who are KEEPING the commandments of God that THEY) may have RIGHT to the TREE of LIFE, and may ENTER in through the gates into the city.
15. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whore mongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loves and makes a lie.”
So you see my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ, the RIGHT of the REWARD of ETERNAL LIFE is GIVEN ONLY to the RIGHTEOUS who have remained faithful unto the end to keep the commandments of God. In verse 15 we clearly see that the WICKED are NOT allowed to ENTER into the city of God, NOR are they given the RIGHT to the TREE of LIFE in order to LIVE FOR EVER and EVER, because they did NOT KEEP the commandments of God.
Yet in spite of all the clear, plain, and simple evidence we have covered thus far in God's word that clearly teaches us that mankind was not created with ETERNAL LIFE nor does man possess an IMMORTAL SOUL, there are some who continue to dogmatically teach that the spirit and soul of mankind is IMMORTAL and therefore FALSELY conclude that Revelation 20:10 along with a few other verses can ONLY mean that the WICKED are NOT DESTROYED in the lake of fire, but rather since they INCORRECTLY believe that the soul of mankind cannot die nor be destroyed, then the WICKED must without fail live eternally being TORMENTED and TORTURED for all ETERNITY in the lake of fire.
So you see my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ how that one FALSE teaching can lead us to believe in other FALSE teachings just as the old saying goes, “One lie leads to another.” Now I personally do not believe that those, who teach these FALSE doctrines are deliberately and knowingly lying, but rather that they have been DECEIVED by these doctrines of devils and they sincerely believe that they are teaching the truth. In other words, they sincerely believe that just because the Bible does in fact teach that ALL of mankind will be raised BOTH the RIGHTEOUS and the UNRIGHTEOUS that this means that ALL of mankind puts on IMMORTALITY never to die again.
Remember that any verse when taken out of CONTEXT and viewed alone and apart from the whole word of God may seem to say something that it is not truly saying.
So then, let us go back to 1 Corinthians 15:53 and read the entire CONTEXT and then COMPARE scripture with scripture in order to see if our INTERPRETATION agrees with the REST of God's word without any contradictions.
Please read 1 Corinthians 15:12-57 where you will CLEARLY and PLAINLY see that it is ONLY those, who are IN Jesus Christ, who shall put on IMMORTALITY when they are resurrected from the dead.
“Now if Christ be preached that he ROSE from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?(you see some believed in the FALSE teaching that there is NO resurrection of the dead and Paul is instructing us in the TRUTH of God's word)
24. Then comes the end (speaking of the end of the 1000 year reign of Jesus when the LAST enemy DEATH is cast into the lake of fire and DESTROYED), when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
29. Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? Why are they then baptized for the dead?(Here Paul is mocking another FALSE teaching saying why do some baptize for the dead IF there be no resurrection of the dead)
32. If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantage it me, if the dead rise not? Let us eat and drink; for to morrow we die.(Again Paul is speaking sarcastically trying to get it through to some of those, who dogmatically teach that there is no resurrection, that IF this were true then why not do whatever we feel like doing and then die.)
52. In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the DEAD shall be RAISED incorruptible, and WE shall be changed (speaking of ONLY the dead IN Jesus Christ being resurrected at his coming and being changed).
56. The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.(This RESURRECTION is speaking of the FIRST resurrection of the dead IN Jesus Christ that the grave did not hold and the SECOND DEATH has NO POWER over)
All through this entire context we see Paul teaching us that IF SO BE there is NO resurrection, then WE as Christians are most miserable among all men, because we DIE to our self and flee from wickedness and sin. Paul is saying IF SO BE there is NO resurrection, then why not live it up in this life and then die. Paul is saying the IF in this life ONLY we have HOPE in Jesus Christ, then we are all men most miserable.
But Paul goes on to say BE NOT DECEIVED, because Jesus has indeed been raised from the dead and has become the FIRST FRUIT, then WE, who are IN Jesus Christ shall be resurrected from the dead AT the time of his second coming, then at the end of the 1000 year reign of Jesus comes the END, which we learn in Revelation chapter 20 is when the REST of the dead are raised to face the JUDGMENT of God. Please read Revelation 20:4-6, which teaches us that there are TWO DIFFERENT resurrections of the dead.
“And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the SOULS of THEM that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshiped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and THEY LIVED and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5. But the REST of the dead lived NOT again UNTIL the thousand years were finished. This is the FIRST resurrection (speaking of the resurrection of those who had the WITNESS of Jesus and the WORD of God who were raised at the second coming of Jesus AT the LAST TRUMPET as we read in 1 Corinthians 15).
6. Blessed and holy is HE that has part in the FIRST resurrection: on such the SECOND DEATH has NO POWER, but THEY shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.”
You see my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ, it is ONLY those who have the testimony of Jesus Christ and the WORD of God, who will put on IMMORTALITY when they are resurrected.
Yes it is true that all of mankind are made ALIVE again or are RESURRECTED from the dead, but ONLY the RIGHTEOUS are given the RIGHT to partake of the TREE of LIFE and LIVE FOREVER. The WICKED are brought back to life just long enough to stand before God to be JUDGED according to their WORKS. And when they are found UNWORTHY of eternal life ALL the wicked will be cast into the lake of fire, which is the SECOND DEATH. It was appointed unto man ONCE to DIE. The lake of fire was NOT originally for man and God hates the DEATH of the wicked pleading with them to turn from their wicked ways while there is still time. For on the day of judgment day it will be too late. Please read Revelation 20:12-15 where we see the dead being JUDGED at the END of the 1000 year reign of Jesus.
“And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12. And I saw the DEAD, small and great, STAND before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the DEAD were JUDGED out of those things which were written in the books, according to their WORKS.
Remember that the SECOND DEATH has NO POWER over those who take part in the FIRST resurrection, which are ONLY the dead who are IN Jesus Christ who are resurrected AT the second coming of Jesus which takes place AT the LAST TRUMPET of God. Please read 1 Corinthians 15:51-54 again where you will clearly see that this entire passage of scripture where those of put on IMMORTALITY is speaking of ONLY the BRETHREN, the dead IN Jesus Christ and NOT referring to ALL of mankind including the WICKED as some FALSE conclude and teach.
52. In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, AT the LAST TRUMP: for the trumpet shall sound, and the DEAD (speaking of those of US Christians who have DIED, because NOT ALL Christians will be DEAD at his coming) shall be raised incorruptible, and WE (speaking of BOTH the dead IN Jesus Christ who have just been raised from the dead and those Christians who have remained ALIVE and are still LIVING when Jesus comes again) shall be changed.
54. So WHEN (speaking of AT the LAST trumpet of God when the dead who are IN Jesus Christ are resurrected) this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on IMMORTALITY, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.”
Yes the Bible does teach us that there shall be a resurrection of the DEAD, BOTH the JUST and the UNJUST. But the FIRST resurrection is ONLY for those who believe in Jesus as their Savior.
Please read Acts 24:15 which says,
Remember the first rule of INTERPRETATION, which is to KEEP the verse in question in the CONTEXT of where it is found and, then COMPARE your interpretation with the REST of God's word in order to see if it CONTRADICTS any other teaching that is based upon the WHOLE word of God.
Here in this CONTEXT Paul is on trial and is being accused of teaching what is contrary to what the Jews were teaching. This is why Paul says, And have HOPE toward God, which THEY THEMSELVES ALSO ALLOW, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and the unjust. The THEY THEMSELVES is referring back to the Jews. Simply put, Paul was teaching about the RESURRECTION of Jesus and defends himself by saying that the Jews themselves believe in the resurrection of BOTH the JUST and the UNJUST.
Now let us COMPARE scripture with scripture and see what the WHOLE word of God teaches us about these TWO DIFFERENT resurrections wherein ONLY the JUST take part in the FIRST resurrection that takes place AT the LAST TRUMPET, which we just learned. Please read 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 where we are again taught about the FIRST resurrection where ONLY the dead IN CHRIST are raised at the COMING of Jesus.
“But I would not have YOU to be ignorant, BRETHREN, concerning them which are asleep (meaning your dear brothers and sisters in the Lord Jesus Christ), that YOU sorrow not, even as others which have NO HOPE.
15. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord (Behold I show you a mystery, WE shall not ALL sleep or die) shall not prevent them which are asleep.
17. Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds (WE who are IN CHRIST Jesus shall all be CHANGE from MORTAL to IMMORTAL), to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
18. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.”
This passage of scripture along with Revelation 20:3-6, 1 Corinthians 15:51-54 are all speaking of the FIRST resurrection where ONLY those who are IN Jesus Christ shall be raised and given ETERNAL LIFE or who shall put on IMMORTALITY. Here is verse 13 we are clearly taught that OTHERS have NO HOPE of this FIRST resurrection. In other words, if one is NOT a BELIEVER when they die or when Jesus comes again, then they have NO HOPE of obtaining ETERNAL LIFE or becoming IMMORTAL, because this promise is made ONLY to the faithful BELIEVERS in Jesus Christ.
Can you not see my dear brothers and sister in our Lord Jesus Christ, that 1 Corinthians 15:22 where we read,
Does NOT mean that ALL of mankind is AUTOMATICALLY saved and therefore ALL of mankind will be made ALIVE as in, ALL of mankind meaning BOTH the JUST and the UNJUST shall obtain ETERNAL LIFE in the world to come. This is just someone's INTERPRETATION of what this verse means, which CONTRADICTS the rest of God's word. This ONE verse is NOT the WHOLE word of Almighty God and therefore we must COMPARE any INTERPRETATION that we draw along with the WHOLE word of God to make absolutely certain that what we INTERPRET any verse to mean does NOT CONTRADICT any other part of God's word.
You see my dear brothers and sister in our Lord Jesus Christ, there are some who have taken verses like this one above to teach a FALSE doctrine known as UNIVERSALISM, which teaches that ALL of mankind will one day be saved. Please read the study “IS UNIVERSALISM A SOUND BIBLICAL TEACHING?”, but for now let us take look at some other ways in which 1 Corinthians 15:22 can be INTERPRETED that do NOT contradict any other part of God's word.
This verse make it clear to us with the EMPHASIS now focused on ONLY those, who are IN CHRIST Jesus, when they die, as the ONLY ones, who are made ALIVE and given ETERNAL LIFE, and not ALL of mankind will be given ETERNAL LIFE or put on IMMORTALITY. Rather ALL of mankind will one day be RESURRECTED from the dead to stand before God and be JUDGED according to their WORKS as the WHOLE of God's word clearly and plainly teaches us.
Well some may argue that this verse says IN Adam ALL DIE meaning that ALL of mankind because of Adam's sin are LOST. Therefore they again FALSELY concluded EVEN SO in Christ shall ALL of mankind be made ALIVE meaning that ALL of mankind will one day be SAVED.
But again this INTERPRETATION does NOT agree with the WHOLE word of God, because other places in God's word clearly teaches us that not ALL men will be SAVED. For example Jesus himself plainly teaches us in Matthew 24:11-13 that it is ONLY those of us who ENDURE unto the END that shall be SAVED.
Clearly this passage of scripture does NOT teach UNIVERSALISM where ALL of mankind both SINNER and the RIGHTEOUS shall be SAVED or made ALIVE in that the GIFT of ETERNAL LIFE is rewarded to the SINNER also. The TRUTH of the matter is that IN Adam ALL die means that because of SIN meaning that those who live IN SIN shall receive the WAGES of SIN, which we are clearly taught is DEATH. And in the same way or even so those who are IN CHRIST or those of us who LIVE our lives following the example that Jesus gave to us to live our lives WITHOUT sin shall be given the REWARD or the GIFT of ETERNAL LIFE.
Let us now take a look at the verses where we who are IN CHRIST are given the PROMISE of ETERNAL LIFE. Please read Matthew 19:16,17, where Jesus is asked WHAT must we DO in order to receive ETERNAL LIFE and Jesus answers KEEP the COMMANDMENTS.
17. And he said unto him, Why call you me good? There is none good but one, that is, God: BUT if you will ENTER into LIFE, KEEP the commandments.”
This AGREES with Revelation 22:14,15, which clearly and plainly teaches us that ONLY those who DO or KEEP the COMMANDMENTS of Almighty God will be given the RIGHT to the TREE of LIFE in order to LIVE FOREVER.
“Blessed are THEY that DO his commandments, that (or so that or in order that) THEY (speaking of ONLY those of us who DO or KEEP the commandments of God) may have RIGHT to the tree of LIFE, and may ENTER in through the gates into the city.
15. WITHOUT are dogs, and sorcerers, and whore mongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loves and makes a lie.”
And this AGREES with what Jesus taught us in Matthew 25:40-46 where ONLY the RIGHTEOUS go into EVERLASTING LIFE while the WICKED, the UNJUST, the UNRIGHTEOUS and the SINNER go into everlasting PUNISHMENT.
46. And THESE shall go away into everlasting punishment (Some Christians struggle with this verse and in sincerity question the verses that clearly teach us that the wicked will be destroyed, because this verse says ETERNAL PUNISHMENT. Simple ask God WHAT is the PUNISHMENT? In 2 Thessalonians 1:9 God's word tells us the the PUNISHMENT of the wicked is everlasting DESTRUCTION. So once the wicked are destroyed their DESTRUCTION is ETERNAL or everlasting meaning that the wicked will never rise again and be no more after the day of judgment when the will be CONSUMED to nothing but ASHES in the lake of fire) : BUT the RIGHTEOUS into LIFE ETERNAL.”
So then, clearly there is a DIFFERENT resurrection for the JUST or the RIGHTEOUS, who are IN Jesus Christ who are DOING the works of RIGHTEOUSNESS compared to the resurrection of the UNJUST or the UNRIGHTEOUS WICKED SINNER whose wage for their sin is DEATH or more precisely whose PUNISHMENT is to be made ALIVE to stand before Almighty God to face their JUDGMENT for their WORKS to KNOW WHY they are being cast into the lake of FIRE to be DESTROYED, which is called the SECOND DEATH. For a deeper understanding that the man made DOCTRINE of ETERNAL TORMENT and TORTURE in flame of FIRE for all eternity is a FALSE teaching please read the studies "IS THE DOCTRINE OF HELL BIBLICAL?" and "DOES REVELATION 20:10 TEACH ETERNAL TORMENT?", but for now let us continue to look at the passage of scripture that promise ONLY the faithful BELIEVER the GIFT of ETERNAL LIFE.
Please read John 3:14-21 which teaches us again that there are TWO different classes of people that make up ALL of mankind, those who BELIEVE and follow the teaching of Jesus who shall NOT PERISH, and those who do NOT believe and therefore REMAIN CONDEMNED in the SINS and shall PERISH because they REJECT the gospel of Jesus.
15. That (or in order that) WHOSOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM should NOT PERISH, but have ETERNAL LIFE.
17. For (or because) God sent NOT his Son into the world to CONDEMN the world; but that the world through him MIGHT BE saved (in other words, God provided a MEANS by which the world can be saved, BUT each and every person must BELIEVE in his Son Jesus before this salvation that brings ETERNAL LIFE is given to them).
18. He that BELIEVES on him is not condemned (describing one type of person): BUT he that believes NOT is condemned already, BECAUSE he has NOT BELIEVED in the name of the only begotten Son of God (describing the other type of person who shall NOT receive eternal life but rather shall remain condemned to PERISH in the lake of fire at the end of the age).
21. But he that DOES TRUTH comes to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."
In other words, ONLY those who BELIEVE in Jesus the Son of Almighty God and DOES TRUTH or follows the teachings of Jesus shall inherit ETERNAL LIFE and those, who do NOT believe on and follow the teachings of Jesus, shall remain CONDEMNED in their SINS and PERISH in the lake of FIRE on the day of JUDGMENT.
Romans 2:3-8 AGREES with this and teaches us that we must CONTINUE in the works or DEEDS of RIGHTEOUSNESS seeking after the reward of ETERNAL LIFE and IMMORTALITY.
5. But after your hardness and impenitent heart (YOU) treasure up unto yourself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;(IF SO BE that you who have accepted Jesus as your savior have hardened your heart and are living in SIN)
8. BUT unto THEM that are contentious, and DO NOT OBEY the TRUTH, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and WRATH,”
So again we see TWO DIFFERENT classes of MANKIND that shall ALL be raised from the dead. The one class are those, who CONTINUE in well doing, which shall be rewarded IMMORTALITY or ETERNAL LIFE. While the other class of mankind are those, who shall also be made ALIVE or raised from the dead, but they will receive the WAGES of their SINS, which is DEATH that will be their SECOND DEATH. All those who are living in SIN by NOT OBEYING the TRUTH when Jesus comes again shall suffer the WRATH of Almighty God.
You can see this SAME message of TWO different groups of people, the RIGHTEOUS and the UNRIGHTEOUS, throughout the entire Bible.
Romans 5:21 says,
Romans 6:22,23 says,
1 Timothy 6:3-19 teaches us that only Almighty God has IMMORTALITY in himself. In other words, MAN is NOT an eternal or an immortal being and therefore must be GIVEN eternal life to become immortal. This passage also teaches us that even though we, who have accepted Jesus as our savior, do not actually possess eternal life, as yet, but rather eternal life is a promise that we are seeking to obtain in the world to come. Therefore we must endure unto the end in order to be granted the gift of eternal life.
12. FIGHT the good fight of FAITH, LAY HOLD eternal life, where unto you are also called, and have professed a good profession before many witnesses.(this is BELIEVERS in Jesus Christ here who are being told to LAY HOLD ON eternal life by LIVING a GODLY LIFE in this present world)
19. Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, THAT (or in order that) they may LAY HOLD ON eternal life.”
Titus 1:2 teaches us that we have been given the HOPE of ETERNAL LIFE, but we do NOT actually possess it as yet. In other words, we have been given the PROMISE of eternal life IF we endure unto the END and are found to be FAITHFUL in following the teachings of Jesus.
Think about this for a moment. Who in their right mind would HOPE to be given ETERNAL LIFE in order to be KEPT ALIVE for all eternity to be TORMENTED in the lake of FIRE. You see the word of TRUTH teaches us that eternal life is a PROMISE and a HOPE for the BELIEVER and NOT as a PUNISHMENT for the UNBELIEVER to be kept alive to be tortured and tormented in flames of fire for all eternity. The everlasting punishment for the WICKED, the UNJUST, the UNRIGHTEOUS, the SINNER, the UNBELIEVER is to be DESTROYED, to be DEVOURED, to be CONSUMED, to be turned into ASHES, and to be DESTROYED in the lake of fire for all eternity to be NO MORE forever. This is why the lake of fire is called the SECOND DEATH. The fire is eternal, but the torment is not. The PUNISHMENT is eternal or EVERLASTING in that the DESTRUCTION of the wicked is everlasting. We will get to these scriptures that teach that the wicked will be destroyed in a moment, but first lets us continue to look at the verse that teach us that the reward of ETERNAL LIFE is PROMISED ONLY to the RIGHTEOUS as our HOPE which we are seeking by OBEYING the commandments of God.
Titus 3:7 says,
1 John 2:24-26 teaches us that eternal life is a PROMISE to those who CONTINUE in Jesus Christ.
There are some who FALSELY teach that once you accept Jesus as your savior, then you are eternally saved and can never LOSE your salvation even if you SIN and DIE while living in SIN. This is NOT what the WHOLE word of God teaches us. The TRUTH of the matter is that when you accept Jesus as your savior you are freed from SIN in two ways. First you are washed clean by the blood of Jesus and placed back into right relationship with Almighty God so that the Holy Spirit can now dwell in you to empower you to OVERCOME SIN. And number two you have been freed from the POWER that sin has over you in order that you can now serve God in RIGHTEOUSNESS through the promises of his word and the power of the Holy Spirit that now dwells in you. Please read the study “HOW TO LIVE YOUR LIFE FREE FROM SIN!” and “HOW CAN I BE SAVED” for a deeper understanding on this subject of salvation.
1 John 3:14,15 clearly and plainly teaches us that NO murderer or one who hates his fellow man has ETERNAL LIFE abiding in him.
So again we clearly see that NO SINNER will be made ALIVE or RESURRECTED in order to obtain ETERNAL LIFE. The only reason that the WICKED are RESURRECTED at the END of the 1000 year reign of Jesus is to FACE the JUDGMENT of Almighty God.
You see it is APPOINTED by God for MAN to die but ONE TIME and then the JUDGMENT. God did NOT prepare the lake of fire for MANKIND, but rather the EVERLASTING FIRE was prepared for the Devil and the fallen angels. Remember that the lake of fire is called the SECOND DEATH. God does NOT desire that the WICKED die TWICE. God takes NO pleasure in the DEATH of the WICKED, but rather desire and pleads with the wicked to REPENT and TURN from sinning. Ezekiel 18:4 clearly and plainly teaches us that the SOUL that SIN shall DIE.
Ezekiel 18:20-28 teaches us that if the wicked TURN from his wicked ways he shall save his SOUL ALIVE but the SOUL that SINS it shall DIE. Even if the RIGHTEOUS turn from their righteousness and SIN and DIE in their SIN, then they shall DIE and NOT LIVE. Plain and simple the SOUL that SINS shall DIE and shall NOT inherit ETERNAL LIFE in the world to come. Be NOT DECEIVED by the FALSE teaching of ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED. Please read the study called “IS ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED BIBLICAL?”
“The SOUL that SINS, it shall DIE. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
24. But when the righteous turns away from his righteousness, and commits iniquity, and does according to all the abominations that the wicked man does, shall he LIVE? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he has trespassed, and in his sin that he has sinned, in them shall he DIE.
James 5:19.20 says,
Job 21:30 teaches us that the WICKED are RESERVED unto the day of WRATH and DESTRUCTION.
Job 36:6 says that God does NOT keep ALIVE the wicked.
God does NOT preserve the life of the wicked to eternally torture them in the lake of fire. God is a CONSUMING fire.
Psalms 9:4,5, which is prophesying of the future JUDGMENT of God teaches us that the WICKED shall be DESTROYED
5. You have rebuked the heathen, you have DESTROYED the WICKED, you have put out their name for ever and ever.”
Psalm 37:9,10...18-20 teaches us that the RIGHTEOUS shall be forever and the WICKED shall be CUT OFF and shall be NO MORE.
19. They shall not be ashamed in the evil time: and in the days of famine they shall be satisfied.
20. But the wicked shall PERISH, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall CONSUME; into SMOKE shall they CONSUME AWAY.”
In Revelation we read that the SMOKE of their torment shall rise forever as a reminder to us who receive eternal life never to sin.
Psalm 68:2 says that the wicked shall PERISH as wax MELTS before the FIRE.
Psalm 104:35 teaches us that the wicked shall be CONSUMED out of the earth and be NO MORE.
Psalm 112:10 tells us that the wicked will GNASH with their teeth as they SEE the REWARD of the righteous and then the wicked will MELT AWAY and their desire shall PERISH.
“The wicked shall see IT (speaking of the reward of the RIGHTEOUS knowing they they too could have been given eternal life and live in paradise for all eternity), and be grieved; he shall gnash with his teeth, and MELT AWAY: the desire of the wicked shall perish”
Psalm 119:119 says, that God will put away ALL the wicked like DROSS. Dross is the waste that comes from ore that is refined and is cast away because it is worthless.
“You put away ALL the wicked of the earth like DROSS: therefore I love your testimonies.”
Again dross is the ASHES left over after melting metal to make it pure. Dross is worthless and cast away. All these verse clearly CONTRADICT the INTERPRETATION of a few verses to teach the man made pagan doctrine of eternal torment in flames of fire.
Psalm 145:20 teaches us that the Lord shall PRESERVE the RIGHTEOUS, but he shall DESTROY the WICKED.
In this verse there is a comparison or contrast being made between PRESERVING ALIVE and DESTROYING, which does NOT mean that the wicked are PRESERVED ALIVE to be TORMENTED for ALL ETERNITY as some FALSELY teach.
Nahum 1:1-3 teaches us that God will NOT at all ACQUIT the wicked. Then in verse 10 we read that the WICKED shall BURN and be DEVOURED as dry stubble burns.
3. The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will NOT at all ACQUIT the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.”...
“...10. For while they be folden together as thorns, and while they are drunken as drunkards, they shall be DEVOURED as stubble fully dry.”
Malachi 4:3 teaches us that the WICKED shall be as ASHES under our feet.
Matthew 3:11,12 teaches us that when Jesus comes to execute the WRATH of Almighty God that he will BURN UP the CHAFF or the WICKED with and UNQUENCHABLE FIRE.
12. Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat (speaking of the RIGHTEOUS) into the garner; BUT he will BURN UP the chaff (referring to the WICKED being BURNED UP) with unquenchable fire.”
Matthew 10:28 clearly and plainly teaches us that Almighty God is able to DESTROY BOTH the BODY and the SOUL in hell.
Hebrews 10:30,31 teaches us that God will AVENGE the RIGHTEOUS and that it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
31. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”
Then we read in Hebrews 12:29 that our God is a CONSUMING FIRE.
No where do I find in the entire word of Almighty God that the WICKED shall be PRESERVED ALIVE or given ETERNAL LIFE or made to be IMMORTAL so they can be TORMENTED and TORTURED for ALL ETERNITY if flames of fire.
The WHOLE word of God clearly and plainly teaches us that ONLY the RIGHTEOUS shall be given the right to partake of the TREE of LIFE and LIVE FOREVER.
And the WHOLE word of God clearly and plainly teaches us that the WICKED shall be DESTROYED, BURNED UP, CONSUMED, DEVOURED, and turned into ASHES in the lake of FIRE and shall be NO MORE for all eternity.
Thanks for reading and may God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God.
Your brother is our Lord Jesus Christ,
Hebrews 10:27: Fiery indignation will devour the adversaries.
Philippians 3:19: Their end is destruction.
John 3:16: "Whoever believes in Him should not perish," implying that unbelievers will perish.
Ezekiel 18:4: The soul who sins shall die.
Malachi 4:1-3: The wicked shall be burned up, leaving neither root nor branch - only ashes under foot.
Psalm 1:4: The wicked are blown away like chaff.
Proverbs 10:25: The wicked are no more.
Psalm 37:22, 28, 34, 38: The wicked shall be cut off.
Psalm 37:20: "The wicked shall perish . . . into smoke they shall vanish away."
Psalm 37:36: The wicked cannot be found.