IS THE HEBREW ROOT MOVEMENT BIBLICAL?
To answer this question one needs to understand what I mean by the word “BIBLICAL”. To the JEW the word Biblical would mean the Old Testament, because many Jews do not believe in the New Testament writings. Therefore it is difficult to get many Jews to even listen to the teachings of Jesus, because they do not accept the teachings of the New Testament, unless you show them Jesus through the Old Testament. However the Holy Bible is NOT just the OLD Testament, but rather BOTH the Old Testament AND the NEW Testament, wherein is basically the fulfillment of the Old Testament prophesies of Jesus as the coming Messiah.
So then, what I mean by the word “BIBLICAL” is the
WHOLE word of God all 66 books with the EMPHASIS on what Jesus and
his disciples taught in the NEW Testament about the NEW covenant
between Almighty God and his people both the Jews and the Gentiles.
Again please keep in mind that I do NOT exclude the Old Testament as
being part of the Bible, but rather I am saying that Almighty God
himself is the one who told us IN the Old Testament BEFORE it came to
pass that he is doing a NEW THING, and that he was going to make a
NEW COVENANT with his people Israel. Jesus came to bring this gospel or this good news of the NEW covenant to his brethren the JEWS. Jesus then instructed his disciples to preach the gospel the he was the PROMISED Messiah to the JEW FIRST and then after the Jews rejected this good news of the NEW covenant they were to preach the gospel to the GENTILES in order to provoke Israel to jealousy.
Please read Isaiah 43:18,19, which is a prophecy of the coming Messiah, who we know is Jesus or Yeshua the Son of Almighty God.
19. Behold, I will do a NEW THING; now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.”
If we go back a couple of chapters in the book of Isaiah, then we will learn that this NEW THING that Almighty God prophesied to bring forth is speaking about his Son Jesus, who would be his LAMB that was slain for the sins of the world in the mind of God from before the time that mankind was ever created.Almighty God needed to kept his plan SECRET from his enemy Satan because had the Devil known God's plan of salvation he would have never CRUCIFIED the Lord of glory.
Clearly Isaiah 42:1-9 is a PROPHECY of JESUS as the one whom Almighty God has CHOSEN to be the means by which God shall reconcile mankind back to himself.
“Behold (or open up your eyes and see) my servant, whom I uphold; mine ELECT (or the one whom I myself have CHOSEN), in whom my soul delights; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
5. Thus says God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which comes out of it; he that gives breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:
Jesus HIMSELF quoted this very passage of scripture here in Isaiah chapter 42 as being FULFILLED in HIM. Also keep in mind that Jesus is in the synagogue speaking to the Jews at the very beginning of his ministry right after Jesus was baptized by John and then led into the desert to be tempted of the Devil. In other words, right from the start of his ministry, Jesus was using the scriptures from the Old Testament to teach the Jews that the very scriptures themselves all POINTED to HIMSELF as the one that Almighty God chose to be their Messiah. In other word's the whole point of all the ceremonial laws were to hide God's plan in SHADOWS, types and figures of his Son which was to come. God hid a little here and a little there, but the Old Testament was written to foretell of the coming of Jesus. Also please keep in mind that this prophecy here in Isaiah foretells of Almighty God giving his Son Jesus as a COVENANT for the people. WHY? God ALREADY had a COVENANT with his people. The TRUTH of the matter is that God was foretelling of a NEW COVENANT that he gave to ALL people both ISRAEL and the GENTILES through his Son Jesus.
Please read Luke 4:13-21 where we read that Jesus was anointed by Almighty God to PREACH the GOSPEL, to PREACH deliverance, and to PREACH the acceptable year of the Lord. And also please keep in mind that Jesus PREACHED to the JEWS first, before the GOSPEL was preached to the GENTILES.
18. The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to PREACH the GOSPEL to the poor; he has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
What I want you, the reader, to see is that Almighty God is beginning a NEW THING and that the OLD or the FORMER ways are being TRANSITIONED to this NEW WAY of God dealing with his creation and that this NEW THING is his SON Jesus.
In other words, Almighty God is NO LONGER pleased with the sacrifices of his people Israel. Please read Amos 5:21,22.
22. Though you offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will NOT ACCEPT them: NEITHER will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts.”
Jesus himself spoke against the Scribes and the Pharisees, because they honored God with their lips, but their hearts were not right with God. Please notice how these Jews judged the disciples of Jesus, because his disciples did not KEEP their traditions as you read Mark 7:1-9.
4. And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And MANY other things there be, which they have received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brass vessels, and of tables.
Then we read in John 4:21-26 how Almighty God is seeking those to worship him in SPIRIT and in TRUTH. Plain and simple God is NO LONGER pleased with his people Israel and their ritualistic way of of worshiping him and therefore God is CHANGING the way he desires his people to worship him.
26. HE will tell us all things. Jesus said unto her, I that speak unto you am HE.”
Can you not see that when Jesus came as the Messiah to die for the sins of the world that the way things used to be done CHANGED or more precisely were FULFILLED. Almighty God made a transition from the OLD Testament or the OLD covenant to the NEW TESTAMENT or the NEW covenant by FULFILLING what he had ALSO spoken in the law and the prophets written in the Old Testament. It is NOT that Almighty God himself has CHANGED or changed his MIND, but rather Almighty God is merely FULFILLING that which he had ALREADY spoken or prophesied in the Old Testament. In Matthew 26:26-28 we read where the SHED BLOOD of Jesus for the sins of many is the NEW TESTAMENT that was brought into place or was FULFILLED by the crucifixion of Jesus.
28. For this is my blood of the NEW TESTAMENT, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.”
But what does this mean that Jesus shed his blood as a NEW TESTAMENT? What was the OLD Testament? Let us go to Hebrews 9:15 and read where Jesus shed his blood and died on the cross in order to bring into FORCE the NEW TESTAMENT.
“And for THIS CAUSE he (speaking of Jesus) is the mediator of the NEW TESTAMENT, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the FIRST testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.”
Let us now focus in on the phrase “And for THIS CAUSE” or for this very REASON Jesus became the mediator of the NEW TESTAMENT and ask yourself the question “WHAT cause or what REASON was there to have need to bring about a NEW TESTAMENT?
To answer this question we need to read the context of this verse, so let us back up to verse 1 and read through to verse of 28 Hebrews chapter 9.
10. Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers
washings, and CARNAL ordinances, IMPOSED on THEM (referring
to the JEWS) UNTIL
the TIME of REFORMATION.(clearly teaching us that at this TIME of REFORMATION these CARNAL ORDINANCES will NO LONGER be IMPOSED upon God's people)
14. How much MORE shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, PURGE your conscience FROM DEAD WORKS to serve the living God?(the works done UNDER the OLD Testament were DEAD WORKS)
15. And for THIS cause (or and for this very reason to PURGE your conscience FROM DEAD WORKS) he (speaking of Jesus) is the mediator of the NEW TESTAMENT, that by means of death, FOR the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
17. For a testament is of FORCE after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator lives (So then, did Jesus DIE on the cross for your SINS? If you TRULY believe this to be so, that Jesus did in fact die for your sins, then the FIRST testament is NO LONGER in FORCE for you, but rather you are under the NEW TESTAMENT of the blood of Jesus that reconciled you to Almighty God).
19. For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people,
To sum all of this up, or to put it in simple terms, the sacrifice that Jesus made for the sins of the world is that which is TRUE. In other words, the OLD TESTAMENT was only in force as a type or a shadow of the NEW TESTAMENT that was to come that would be the TRUE, and that which is TRUE was brought into FORCE by the death and resurrection of Jesus the LAMB of Almighty God that was slain for the sins of the world that WHOSOEVER should BELIEVE on Jesus should be FORGIVEN of their sins and be brought back into RIGHT RELATIONSHIP with Almighty God.
The Old Testament was only a pattern, a type, a shadow, or a figure of that what was to come that is TRUE. The Old Testament with all it's carnal ORDINANCES was a figure revealing to us the TRUE sacrifice, the LAMB of Almighty God. Hebrews 9:10 clearly and plainly teaches us that the Old Testament laws were to be only in force UNTIL the coming of the promised Messiah.
"9. Which was a FIGURE for the TIME THEN PRESENT, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;
The word translated as "REFORMATION" here means to straighten, or rectification and carries the meaning of rightly ordering that which was IMPERFECT or INADEQUATE by SUPERSEDING it with a BETTER order of things. In other words, IF the OLD covenant was able to bring people into a RIGHT RELATIONSHIP with Almighty God once and for all time, then there would have been NO NEED for Jesus to DIE for the sins of mankind. Plain and simple the OLD COVENANT was done away so that the NEW COVENANT might be established.
Lets us now back up to chapter 8 of Hebrews and read how the OLD COVENANT has vanished away in order to bring in the NEW COVENANT.
Hebrews 8:1-13, which again teaches us that the OLD covenant was a type and SHADOW of things to come is basically prophecy after prophecy foretelling us of the NEW COVENANT that was brought into FORCE by the shed blood of Jesus.
5. Who serve unto the EXAMPLE and SHADOW of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, says he, that you make all things according to the pattern showed to you in the mount.
9. NOT according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued NOT in my covenant, and I regarded them not, says the Lord.
10. For THIS is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
11. And they shall not teach every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. (The Bible teaches us that we as true born again Christian who have been filled with the Holy Spirit of Almighty God need not that any man teach us, because the anointing of the Holy Spirit WITHIN US teaches us. This is the NEW COVENANT that God has made with his people that God himself by his Holy Spirit leads and guides us into all truth and he writes his laws that he desires us to do upon our minds and upon our hearts)
13. In that he says, A NEW COVENANT, he has made the FIRST OLD (or he has made the FIRST covenant to be OLD by establishing a NEW covenant with his people). Now that which decays and waxes old is ready to VANISH AWAY.”
So then, does this mean that we as Christians are no
longer to read the Old Testament of the Bible? Of course NOT! It is
by studying the Old Testament scripture that better helps us to share
the GOSPEL with not only the Jews, but also with Muslims, and the
rest of the world. The more we can show Jesus through the many
passages of scripture written in the Old Testament that PROPHESIED of
his coming hundreds of years before he came, then the more likely the
Jews, the Muslims and those in the world will receive Jesus as their
Messiah before he comes again. Please read the studies "PROPHECIES OF JESUS BEING THE MESSIAH" and "365 PROPHECIES OF JESUS" for a deeper understanding that the Old Testament scriptures spoke of the coming Messiah to SAVE God's people and that these prophecies were FULFILLED in Jesus of Nazareth 2000 years ago and that Jesus is coming again a SECOND TIME. So of course we are to read these Old Testament.
However, we do NOT read the OLD Testament in order to IMPOSE the carnal ordinances written therein upon Christians who have been brought into a right relationship with Almighty God BY the shed BLOOD of Jesus Christ our Lord.
Most Christians know and understand that NO man is
justified by the LAW according to Galatians 2:11-21, which clearly
and plainly teaches us that Paul rebuked Peter to his face because Peter began to
fear the Jews and therefore wrongly withdrew from EATING with the Gentiles.
12. For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
14. But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If you, being a Jew, live after the manner of Gentiles, and NOT as do the Jews, WHY COMPELL you the Gentiles to LIVE as do the Jews? (which is what the Hebrew Roots Movement is doing to Christians)
16. Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the LAW shall NO FLESH be JUSTIFIED.
20. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ lives in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the FAITH of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
21. I do NOT frustrate the grace of God: for IF righteousness come by the LAW, then Christ is dead in VAIN.”
And yet there are some Christians who are being lead away from this TRUTH in God's word by the Hebrew Roots Movement and the teachings of the 119 Ministries only to be brought under the bondage of the OLD COVENANT LAW wherein were ALSO many CARNAL ORDINANCES IMPOSED upon the JEWS as Hebrews 9:10 clearly and plainly teaches us.
Please notice that these CARNAL ORDINANCES that were IMPOSED upon the JEWS were imposed upon ONLY the JEWS, and that the early apostles did NOT LIVE as the JEWS any longer. This is made clear to us by Paul rebuke to Peter to his face, when Peter, who HIMSELF did NOT LIVE as the Jews, but then began to fear the Jews and let them IMPOSE their ordinances upon these GENTILE Christians. Also please notice that these carnal ordinances were only imposed on the Jews UNTIL a certain TIME and that time is called the TIME of REFORMATION.
So then, WHAT or more precisely WHEN was this TIME of REFORMATION that the NEW COVENANT went into FORCE? Again most Christians know and understand that this TIME of REFORMATION when the OLD COVENANT was TRANSITIONED to the NEW COVENANT is speaking of the death and resurrection of Jesus the MEDIATOR of this NEW COVENANT.
But for some reason there are some Christians who are being DECEIVED by the Hebrew Roots Movement and the 119 Ministries to FOCUS on the Old Testament writings in the TORAH to IMPOSE on Christians, who were made free from the LAW according to Romans 6:14,15 that we are not UNDER all these ordinances of the LAW that were imposed upon the Jewish people under the OLD COVENANT.
We are NOT made free from the LAW of sin and death to AGAIN be made SERVANTS of the LAW, but rather we are made servants of RIGHTEOUSNESS. So then, what is the DIFFERENCE between keeping the COMMANDMENTS of Almighty God to do GOOD WORKS of RIGHTEOUSNESS, and the keeping of the LAW. For a deeper understanding on this DIFFERENCE between the commandments of God and the LAW please read the study called
“THE WORKS OF THE LAW VERSES GOOD WORKS”, but for now let me point out that the Hebrew Roots Movement is not a new trend, but rather this IMPOSING of the carnal ordinances of the law has been around since the beginning of the church.
For you see, we read in the New Testament teachings that some of the Jews, who BELIEVED the GOSPEL of Jesus Christ, were later BEWITCHED or DECEIVED by the Jews that REJECTED the gospel of Jesus Christ and therefore tried to IMPOSE the carnal ordinances of the law upon these new believers so that they would be brought UNDER the LAW. Please read Galatians 3:1-29, which teaches us that there is NO LONGER Jew and Gentile, bond or free, male nor female, but rather we are all one IN Jesus Christ.
17. And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
19, Wherefore then serve the law? It was ADDED because of transgressions, TILL the seed should come to whom the promise was made (and that seed was JESUS); and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
Can you not see my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ that the LAW contained in the CARNAL ORDINANCES was a schoolmaster that was leading us or teaching us about Jesus, the CHRIST. And NOW that Jesus has FULFILLED the LAW and the PROPHETS who foretold of his coming we are NO LONGER UNDER this schoolmaster, the LAW contained in CARNAL ORDINANCES that was teaching us about Jesus the coming Messiah.
In other words, we have NOT been redeemed from our sins by the LAW, but rather we have been reconciled to God by the shed blood of Jesus. So therefore we are taught in 2 Corinthians 3:6-14 that we as Christians are made ministers of the NEW TESTAMENT. This passage of scripture while speaking of the GLORY of the OLD Testament teaches us that the GLORY of the NEW Testament is MUCH MORE glorious.
“Who also has made us able ministers of the NEW testament; NOT of the letter, but of the SPIRIT: for (or because) the letter kills (in other words, the letter of the LAW KILLS), but the SPIRIT gives life.
7. But if the ministration of death, written and engraved in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could NOT steadfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
Romans chapter 7 and 8 teaches us that we are DELIVERED from the LAW so that we can serve God in the NEWNESS of SPIRIT rather than in the OLDNESS of the LETTER of the LAW. Then in chapter 8 we read that we who are IN Jesus Christ are no longer under CONDEMNATION, IF SO BE that we obey the SPIRIT of Almighty God within us. In other words, so longs as we follow and obey the Holy Spirit we are the sons and daughters of God. Please read Romans 8:1-14, which clearly teaches us that we are NOT under the condemnation of the LAW, but now those of us who are IN Jesus Christ are to be led BY the Holy Spirit of Almighty God who dwells IN the true born again believer in Jesus Christ.
You have to understand the DIFFERENCE between the keeping of the LAW of the OLD Testament and the OBEYING of the SPIRIT of God. You see Almighty God wants us to be HIS WORKMANSHIP wherein we do good works of RIGHTEOUSNESS not in our OWN strength, but rather the good works of righteousness that we do are accomplished by his grace THROUGH FAITH in the promises of his word and the empowerment of the indwelling of his Holy Spirit within us. Please read Ephesians 2:8-19.
11. Wherefore remember, that you (who are now a GENTILE CHRISTIAN if you will, so you can see that God is reconciling BOTH the Jew and the Gentile to himself through the NEW TESTAMENT, the YOU) being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
15. Having ABOLISHED in his flesh the enmity, EVEN the LAW of commandments contained in ORDINANCES; (WHY? Why did Jesus ABOLISH the ORDINANCES of the law?) for to make in himself of two one new man, so making peace;
17. And came and PREACHED peace to you (speaking of the GENTILES) which were afar off, AND to them that were nigh (referring to the JEWS).
You see my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ, we who were once called GENTILES and of the UNCIRCUMCISION by the Jews, but who are NOW brought into the family of God by the shed blood of Jesus Christ through our FAITH in the gospel are not made to be JEWS by our faith. Rather we are grafted into the household of God. In other words, in the eyes of God those of us who BELIEVE the gospel whether we were once a Jew or we were once a Gentile there is now NO MORE Gentile and Jew, but rather we are made ONE in Jesus Christ. The CIRCUMCISION in the FLESH made with hands has been ABOLISHED at the cross of Jesus. Please read the study called "HAS GOD'S LAW BEEN ABOLISHED?" where I point out the ERRORS of the Hebrew Roots Movement by using a article written by the 119 Ministries. Please understand that I am not picking on any one denomination, but rather I am exposing the ERRORS made by these FALSE teachings in their INTERPRETATIONS of the scriptures. But for now let us continue with this study in God's word to show you the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God.
Please read Romans 11:13-23, where Paul is speaking primarily to the GENTILES, to get us to understand that the severity of God toward his people the Jews in order to provoke them to jealousy has now turned to God's GOODNESS to us who were Gentiles being afar off without God having NO HOPE, but NOW through our FAITH in Jesus Christ are made NIGH to the throne of grace to obtain help in our time of need.
22. Behold therefore the goodness AND severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, IF you continue in his goodness: otherwise you ALSO shall be cut off.
23. And they also, IF they abide not STILL in UNBELIEF, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graft them in AGAIN.”
Can you not see my dear brothers and sisters, in our Lord Jesus Christ, that the OLD Testament was DONE AWAY with, in that, God NO LONGER ACCEPTED his people Israel THROUGH the LAW contained in ORDINANCES given to God's people under the OLD Testament. Can you not see that ALL those who tried to come to God through the LAW of the OLD Testament after Jesus died and rose from the grave were considered to be in UNBELIEF. The ONLY WAY that the JEWS can approach Almighty God today in order to be grafted back into the household of God is through FAITH in Jesus Christ as their Messiah.
So WHY then, do you as a GENTILE Christian seek to come to Almighty God your Father through the LAW contained in ORDINANCES, when God does NOT even accept his chosen people of Israel any more through the LAW contained in ORDINANCES? Who has BEWITCHED you to be brought UNDER the LAW to be made like unto a JEW? You are a CHRISTIAN! You are NOT made to be a JEW by the blood of Jesus, but rather you are made to be a CHILD of Almighty God the Father.
Do NOT be DECEIVED by the Hebrew Roots Movement that IMPOSES upon you the CARNAL ORDINANCES of the OLD TESTAMENT or the OLD COVENANT that were only meant to be kept UNTIL the time of REFORMATION.
Let us go back to Hebrews 9:10 for a moment and read is again so we can take a closer look at what this verse is truly teaching us.
The word that is translated here as “REFORMATION” comes from the Greek word “DIORTHOSIS”, which is a compound word meaning to straighten thoroughly or rectification. This word is used only one time in the Bible and is used in reference to the MESIANIC restoration. In other words Jesus came to RECTIFY that which was FAULTY, or to make PERFECT that which was IMPERFECT.
So again if the OLD covenant were sufficient to reconcile mankind back to Almighty God, then there would have been no need to establish a NEW COVENANT.
The Hebrew Roots Movement along with other LAW keeping sects of Christianity FALSELY teach that the apostles KEPT ALL the LAW under the OLD Testament including ALL the FEAST DAYS, HOLY DAYS, and the SABBATHS.
However, Galatians chapter 4 teaches us just the OPPOSITE.
“Howbeit then (or HOW is it then that), when you knew NOT God, you did service unto them which by nature are no gods.
Paul is reprimanding these new Christians, because they have been DECEIVED by the Jews to OBSERVE days, and months, and times and years. Paul was AFRAID that he had labored in VAIN to preach the GOSPEL of Jesus Christ to them, because they were turning again to things that brought BONDAGE unto them.
Colossians 2:8-17 teaches us that these handwriting of ORDINANCES have been BLOTTED OUT being NAILED to the CROSS of our Lord Jesus Christ.
11. In whom also you are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: (please keep in mind that CIRCUMCISION was ALSO UNDER the LAW of the OLD Testament, but some in the Hebrew Roots Movement don't seem to try to IMPOSE on those among their numbers who are being taught the LAW of Moses from the TORAH to be CIRCUMCISED, which to me contradicts their own teaching.)
Can you not see my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ, that these handwriting of ORDINANCES under the OLD Testament were NAILED to the CROSS of our Lord Jesus Christ and thereby were BLOTTED OUT and taken OUT of the WAY so that we as Christians are not to be JUDGED in MEAT or what we EAT. Nor are we to OBSERVE a HOLY DAY, or the NEW MOON, or the SABBATH DAYS, because these were all a SHADOW of things that were FULFILLED by our Lord Jesus Christ.
I cover the Sabbath keeping in the study called “SUNDAY
WORSHIP VERSES SABBATH KEEPING?”, which teaches us that the Lord's
day is Sunday as opposed to Saturday Sabbath. There or some very
strict Saturday Sabbath keepers who are FALSELY teaching that for a
Christian to worship on Sunday is to take the MARK of the BEAST. If
you are one who believes that you yourself should worship on Saturday
as opposed to worshiping God on Sunday, then I do not have a problem
with you worshiping on Saturday. But when one tries to brings a
fellow believer under condemnation by dogmatically teaching them that
they are SINNING if they worship God on Sunday, then they are
bordering on offending one of these little ones as Jesus warns us about.
Again I cover all the verses used by Sabbath keepers to try and
support their teaching in the study I mentioned above if you desire a
deeper understanding on this subject. Also I have written a study covering what the NEW TESTAMENT teaches us concerning the COMMANDMENTS of God. I my self have found ONLY nine of the ten commandments written in the Old Testament REPEATED and taught for us as Christians to KEEP. Please read the study called "ONLY NINE of the TEN COMMANDMENTS" for a deeper understanding of WHY the NEW Testament does not teach us as Christians to observe the sabbath day in the way it was taught in the Old Testament as a SHADOW of the true which was to come. I will post links at the end of this study to all the studies I have related to this FALSE teaching that is teaching Christians that the must keep ALL the law of God contained in some 613 carnal ordinances written in the OLD Testament to God's people ISRAEL.
For now I would like to go into more detail about whether or not a Christian needs to be CIRCUMCISED according to the LAW of Moses in the OLD TESTAMENT. Let us begin with the words of Jesus, which teaches us that the Jews were indeed taught to be circumcised by Moses. Please read John 7:1-23, where we also learn that Jesus himself did NOT KEEP JEWRY.
23. If (or since by YOUR OWN practices) a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are you angry at me, because I have made a man every bit whole on the sabbath day?”
The main point that Jesus is making here in this passage of scripture in that is it NOT a sin to do GOOD works of RIGHTEOUSNESS on the Sabbath day. In other words, the Jews were trying to KILL Jesus, because Jesus HEALED a man on the Sabbath day and Jesus was making a POINT that the Jews themselves CIRCUMCISED on the Sabbath day and they had NO PROBLEM with this kind of WORK being done on the Sabbath day because to them it was the Lord's work. Now some may interpret this passage as Jesus TEACHING the LAW of Moses to be circumcised, but to me, Jesus is basically calling the Jews hypocrites by saying the WORK of circumcision was acceptable, but the WORK of HEALING on the Sabbath was breaking the LAW.
Also keep in mind that the New Testament reminds us and the Jews that circumcision was NOT of Moses, but rather was given to the fathers, speaking of father Abraham. Please read Acts 7:8, which says,
And so the covenant of circumcision began with Abraham and continued from generation to generation up to the time of Jesus who was also circumcised on the eighth day. However, once Jesus died and rose again to bring into to FORCE the NEW COVENANT, then the CIRCUMCISION of the flesh was done away. The disciples of Jesus taught the CHURCH that those who were already circumcised to seek not to be uncircumscised and those who were not yet circumcised to seek NOT to be circumcised, because they became spiritually circumcised through their FAITH in Jesus Christ. Please read Romans 2:23-29
29. But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.”
Now let us continue into the next chapter of Romans and read Romans 3:20-31
31. Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.”
So then, HOW is the LAW ESTABLISHED? The law of God is established through FAITH in the RIGHTEOUSNESS of God. We read in Romans chapter 4 about Abraham received the SEAL of circumcision in the flesh as a SIGN of his RIGHTEOUSNESS. Keep in mind that the LAW of Moses had NOT YET been given, but was ADDED later on because of unrighteousness UNTIL the promise of the seed of Abraham COME or be FULFILLED. Here is Romans 4:1-25.
11. And he received the SIGN of circumcision, a SEAL of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be NOT circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:
16. Therefore it is of FAITH, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,
25. Who was delivered for our offenses, and was raised again for our justification.”
The plain simple word of God is clearly NOT teaching the CHURCH to be
CIRCUMCISED. Paul is teaching AGAINST the law of God concerning being circumcised in the FLESH, because it was ABOLISHED and FULFILLED at the cross of Jesus. Now as I said earlier SOME in the Hebrew Roots Movement
do not seem to press the followers of their teaching to keep ALL the law of God to keep this part of the Old Testament law to be
CIRCUMCISED in the FLESH even though CIRCUMCISION is clearly taught in the OLD
TESTAMENT under the OLD COVENANT.
I myself just have to wonder WHY
they IMPOSE ALL the OTHER carnal ORDINANCE of the LAW upon their
followers, but they do NOT IMPOSE CIRCUMCISION upon them? I mean think
about this for a moment. Their main ARGUMENT is that if Jesus taught
us to KEEP the COMMANDMENTS of God, then this MEANS that we as
Christians are to keep ALL the LAW of God, EVERY JOT and TITTLE of
the LAW. But again some in the Hebrew Roots Movement do not seem to
teach their followers to be CIRCUMCISED. Perhaps it is that they have CORRECTLY understood that the law of God concerning being circumcised in the FLESH has INDEED been ABOLISHED at the cross of Jesus. However there are some in the Hebrew Roots Movement who have not yet discerned this TRUTH in God's word and thereby are FALSELY teaching Gentile Christians to be CIRCUMCISED in the flesh as an OUTWARD showing of their being circumcised by God in their HEART. Please read the study called "HAS GOD'S LAW BEEN ABOLISHED?" which covers this subject of circumcision in great detail exposing the ERRORS of the 119 Ministries and others who FALSELY teach that Christian must be circumcised in the FLESH.
Well to ME, the answer seems pretty obvious. For you see my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ, there is quite a bit of CLEAR, PLAIN, and SIMPLE evidence from God's word that without a doubt teaches us that GENTILE believer in Jesus Christ becomes circumcised by FAITH not made with hands. CLEARLY the word of TRUTH teaches us that if you are a CIRCUMCISED JEW who accepts the calling of the GOSPEL of Jesus Christ, then you are NOT to seek too become UNCIRCUMCISED, because circumcision is NOTHING. And likewise we are clearly and PLAINLY taught in 1 Corinthians 7:18,19 that if you are a GENTILE who has NOT been CIRCUMCISED and you accept Jesus as your savior, then you are NOT to seek to be CIRCUMCISED, because circumcision is NOTHING. This is what the word of TRUTH clearly and plainly teaches us.
19. Circumcision is NOTHING, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the KEEPING of the COMMANDMENTS of God.”
GI do not see how the word of Almighty God can make it any clearer or plainer than this. Let NOT any man who is called of God seek to be CIRCUMCISED in the FLESH after the law of Moses. Galatians 5:1-14 goes on to teach us that those who were not circumcised when they believed the gospel of Jesus Christ, but who become DECEIVED by those who teach to IMPOSE CIRCUMCISION upon them and therefore they seek to become CIRCUMCISED to follow the LAW, then they have FALLEN from GRACE.
8. This persuasion comes NOT of him that calls you.(in other words, those such as the Hebrew Roots Movement who are trying to persuade you to keep ALL the LAW and COMMANDMENTS of God to become CIRCUMCISED is NOT of Almighty God who calls you by the gospel of Jesus Christ)
14. For ALL the LAW is FULFILLED in one word, even in this; You shall LOVE your neighbor as yourself.”
Please notice that verse 14 clearly teaches us that ALL the LAW is FULFILLED by walking in LOVE one
toward another. It is because I LOVE my brothers and sisters in the
Lord that I stand against the FALSE teaching that beset you from the
Let us take another look at Colossians 2:8-17 where we are again taught that the ordinance of CIRCUMCISION along with the carnal ordinances of OBSERVING days taught under the OLD COVENANT are NO LONGER to be IMPOSED upon those who are IN Jesus Christ who are under the NEW COVENANT.
13. And you, being dead in your sins AND the UNCICUMCISION of your flesh, has he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;(in other words, when Jesus FORGAVE you of ALL you past sin you were CIRCUMCISED by God in your heart or spirit without hands.)
16. Let NO man therefore JUDGE you in MEAT (speaking of the ORDINANCES under the OLD TESTAMENT concerning the DIETARY LAWS), or in drink, or in respect of an holy day, or of the new moon, or of the SABBATH days:(which includes the weekly SABBATH day)
So in the same way that CIRCUMCISION was NAILED to his CROSS and taken OUT of the WAY by BLOTTING OUT this carnal ORDINANCE of CIRCUMCISION, so ALSO are ALL the carnal ORDINANCES under the OLD TESTAMENT or the FIRST COVENANT have been BLOTTED OUT and taken OUT of the WAY by Jesus NAILING them to his CROSS just as the word of TRUTH clearly and plainly teaches us.
Now some would argue that PAUL was NOT teaching the TRUE gospel of Jesus, but rather Paul was teaching ANOTHER gospel, so therefore they would argue that we CANNOT trust the writings of Paul.
My answer to this is how can any true born again believer who has been filled with the Holy Spirit of Almighty God seek to take the writings of Paul OUT of the Bible as IF they are NOT the TRUTH of God's word. To ME, this is a DEFINITE sign of a cult. So BEWARE my dear brothers and sister in our Lord Jesus Christ, of those who try and twist the scriptures to make them FIT their OWN interpretations and be not deceived by those who make the claim that the apostle Paul is a FALSE teacher.
Some may even try to argue that Paul was sent to preach the gospel of uncircumcision and Peter was sent to preach the gospel of CIRCUMCISION as if there were TWO DIFFERENT gospels and BOTH were true, but this is NOT what Galatians 2:7 is truly saying, but rather it is a twisted INTERPRETATION to TRY and support the FALSE teaching that we as Christians must keep ALL the law of God contained in some 613 carnal ordinances written in the OLD Testament to God people ISRAEL. We will read Galatians 2:7 first from the King James Version of the Bible, which I admit on the surface SEEMS to give the idea of two different gospels. However, any interpretation must be COMPARED to the rest of God's word to see it that interpretation AGREES with the whole word of God.
Here is Galatians 2:7 from the King James Version.
Now those who are familiar reading the Kings James Version understand that the old English style of writing is a little backwards from modern day English so when we come to verses like this we understand that there needs to be a deeper look into what the verse is truly saying. One way to do this is of course read the CONTEXT. Another way is to COMPARE scripture with scripture. Another way is to look the words up in the original language And another way is to COMPARE the verse in question with OTHER TRANSLATIONS to see how they read.
We have already seen that other passages of scripture definitely CONTRADICT the interpretation that there are TWO DIFFERENT GOSPELS. So now let us take a look at some other TRANSLATIONS to see how they read. Please read Galatians 2:7 from the New International Version.
Here is Galatians 2:7 from the NIV.
“On the CONTRARY (or quite the OPPOSITE), THEY (speaking of those who came to SPY on what Paul reached) SAW that I had been entrusted with the task of preaching the GOSPEL to the Gentiles, just as Peter had been (entrusted to preach the same gospel) to the Jews.”
In others words, when we read the CONTEXT you will see that some FALSE brethren came in to SPY on what Paul was preaching and found that Paul was preaching the very same GOSPEL to the GENTILES that Peter was preaching to the circumcised JEWS. So you can clearly see that it was NOT two different GOSPELS, but rather it was ONE and the SAME GOSPEL being preached to two different GROUPS of people, the GENTILES and the JEWS. Paul was sent to preach the GOSPEL of Jesus Christ to the GENTILES who were UNCIRCUMCISED and Peter was sent to preach the very SAME GOSPEL of Jesus Christ to those who were BORN JEWS, who were CIRCUMCISED when they were eight days old as was their custom according to the LAW of Moses. Here is the CONTEXT of this verse in question from the New International Version.
Galatians 2:1-21 from the NIV.
“Fourteen years later I went up again to Jerusalem, this time with Barnabas. I took Titus along also.
2. I went in response to a revelation and set before them the GOSPEL that I preach among the Gentiles. But I did this privately to those who seemed to be leaders, for fear that I was running or had run my race in vain.
3. Yet not even Titus, who was with me, was compelled to be circumcised, even though he was a Greek.
4. [This matter arose] because some FALSE brothers had infiltrated our ranks to SPY on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves.
5. We did NOT give in to them for a moment, so that the TRUTH of the GOSPEL might REMAIN with you. (Do NOT be DECEIVED by those in the Hebrew Roots Movement that may have INFILTRATED you congregation. Do NOT give into their FALSE teaching even for a MOMENT so that the TRUTH of the Gospel of Jesus Christ will REMAIN in you my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ)
6. As for those who seemed to be important--whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not judge by external appearance--those men added nothing to my message.(or they did intimidate me to CHANGE what I was called to PREACH)
7. On the CONTRARY (or quite the OPPOSITE these FALSE brethren that came to SPY on what I was preaching), they saw that I had been entrusted with the task of preaching the GOSPEL to the Gentiles, JUST AS Peter had been (entrusted to preach the same GOSPEL) to the Jews.(in other words, there is only ONE GOSPEL, but two different GROUPS being preached this same gospel of Jesus Christ)
8. For God, who was at work in the ministry of Peter as an apostle to the Jews, was ALSO at work in my ministry as an apostle to the Gentiles.
9. James, Peter and John, those reputed to be pillars, gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship when they REGOGNIZED the grace given to me. They agreed that we should go to the Gentiles, and they to the Jews. (In other words, all the other apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ RECOGNIZED that PAUL had been called by Almighty God to preach the GOSPEL of Jesus Christ to the world, but seemed to have been given a calling more so to the GENTILES while some of them had a calling more so to the JEWS. So then HOW is it that SOME Christians believe and teach that Paul is a FALSE teacher, when the very apostles of Jesus Christ RECOGNIZED Paul as being called of Almighty God?)
10. All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.
Paul Oppose Peter
11. When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong.
12. Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group.
13. The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.
14. When I saw that they were NOT acting in line with the TRUTH of the GOSPEL, I said to Peter in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. HOW is it, then, that you FORCE (or IMPOSE, or even TEACH) Gentiles to follow JEWISH CUSTOMS?
15. "We who are Jews by birth and not 'Gentile sinners'
16. Know that a man is NOT justified by observing the LAW, but BY FAITH IN Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our FAITH in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by FAITH in Christ and NOT by observing the LAW, because by observing the law NO ONE will be justified.
17. "If, while we seek to be justified in Christ, it becomes evident that we ourselves are sinners, does that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not!
18. If I rebuild what I destroyed, I prove that I am a lawbreaker.
19. For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God.
20. I have been crucified with Christ
and I no longer live, but CHRIST (or the same
ANOINTING of the Holy Spirit the dwelt in Jesus that empowered him to
live his life without sin) lives IN me. The
life I live in the body, I live by FAITH in the Son of God, who loved
me and gave himself for me.
21. I do not set aside the GRACE of God, for IF righteousness could be gained through the LAW, Christ died for NOTHING!"
I have found that those who teach FALSE doctrine when they cannot argue with SOUND BIBLICAL teaching, but still wanting to cling to these false teachings that they have been taught will throw one last argument out to try and silence the TRUTH. They will say something like, Why are you trying to divide the church?
In answer to these false accusations I respond back and say that I am just following the teaching of God's word to preach the TRUTH with SOUND BIBLICAL teaching to silence those who are leading astray the body of Christ with their FALSE teaching.
Please read Titus 1: 9-16 from the New Living Translation.
16. Such people claim they know God, but they deny him by the way they live. They are despicable and disobedient, worthless for doing anything good.”
Now I myself do not consider those in the Hebrew Roots
Movement to be despicable and worthless to do anything good, because
to ME, their heart seems to want to please God and this is why I
believe that they were DECEIVED by the enemy to TRY and please God by
trying to keep ALL the LAW contained in ALL the carnal ORDINANCES
that were given to God's people UNDER the FIRST COVENANT that was
done away with by the NEW COVENANT put into FORCE by the sacrifice
that Jesus made for the sins of the world. Their love is sincere, but their understanding of scripture is lacking. The word of God teaches us in Hebrews that WITHOUT FAITH it is IMPOSSIBLE to PLEASE God. Keeping the LETTER of the law does not please God. When I say LAW I my self am speaking of all the law contained in some 613 carnal ordinances only and NOT the COMMANDMENTS of God. The NEW Testament doe in fact teach us as Christians to keep the COMMANDMENTS of God, but nowhere in the NEW Testament do I find REPEATED and taught that the church is to keep ALL the law of God contained is some 613 carnal ordinances that were written to the children of ISRAEL. Again I do not personally see any believer PURPOSELY teaching FALSE doctrine.
However, I do believe that they should be REBUKED by their FALSE teaching so that they can be restored to the true faith. This is why I have written this study in God's word along with the many other studies in God's word that clearly and plainly show the ERROR of these FALSE teachings. Please understand that I am not teaching against any particular group, but rather I am teaching the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God in order to expose FALSE TEACHING.
Sometimes I do NAME certain websites or certain church denominations to make you, the reader, aware that I am not making things up. In other words, sometimes I give the NAME of certain denominations, or the link to certain websites, or in this case the name of the MOVEMENT or TREND so you can SEARCH it out for YOURSELF and look at the arguments for BOTH sides if you so choose. Just be sure you pray and ask the leading of the Holy Spirit of Almighty God before you go to these websites to see for yourself what they are teaching, because sometimes, or rather most of the time those who are in ERROR will draw you in SLOWLY little by little letting you get acclimated to what they are teaching.
Anyway I wanted to point out this one website that I was given by a brother and sister in the Lord that I know who were drawn into this Hebrew Roots Movement. Right there on this website they used to have posted “One time donation only”. Later I learned that this young couple SOLD their home and gave the money to this particular group that was teaching them to keep ALL the LAW of the OLD TESTAMENT. I immediately was reminded of the verse that some teach the gospel for the MONEY. This group then promised them that they would take care of them if they WORKED and pulled they own weight so to speak. This family then lived in a tent during most of the winter with three small children and a baby, while the husband helped to build buildings for this group of families to live and use as a community. The wife cooked and did other jobs to help as well. Even the children picked it to help with the work.
Now some of you may think that this sounds a lot like the New Testament church were the early church had all things in common, but in reality I believe these families are fearful of the coming days ahead, because they chose a place out in the woods that is secluded and they are being trained too defend their community. I do not see the early church doing this. But what really alarmed me was I learned that the LEADERS of this group stayed in their nice comfortable homes to supposedly keep on recruiting more families into their group while they flock did the WORK to build housing and such for this group. Of course you will not find any proof of this on their website, and I myself have only what I have observed over the past months trying to keep in touch with this young family trusting in God that their eyes of understanding will be opened to the TRUTH of the GOSPEL of Jesus Christ so that they will come out of this FALSE teaching of the Hebrew Roots Movement.
Anyway here is the address to the website called 119 Ministries that I was given by this young family, which invited me to attend one of the home Bible studies.
http://119ministries.com/ I would strongly implore you to do a search typing in 119 Ministries as opposed to just clinking on the link, because then you will see the many websites that are speaking out AGAINST the teachings of this group of 119 Ministries that fits in the category of the Hebrew Roots Movement. As with most websites claiming to be Christian the 119 Ministries challenges you to TEST EVERYTHING they teach. But some Christians have no idea how to search the word of God for themselves in order to see if what they are being taught is in fact the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God.
Therefore I am going to follow up with this study in
God's word with another study called “119
MINISTRIES ERRORS-1” and "119 MINISTRIES ERRORS-2" where I take some of their teachings directly from their
website and show you, the reader, how they have taken then verses
they use OUT of CONTEXT in order to draw you into believing that the
OLD COVENANT is still in FORCE and Christians should keep ALL the LAW
under the OLD TESTAMENT. I will post all the studies that I have done related to exposing this FALSE teaching that Christians are to keep ALL the law contained in some 613 carnal ordinances written in the OLD Testament to the people ISRAEL at the end of this study. Plain and simple, if it is NOT repeated and taught in the NEW TESTAMENT, then I would be cautious to believe that teaching.
For now I will tell you that I personally attended one of their home Bible studies. One of the things that first jumped out at me was I could see very clearly that most of these families had been HURT in some way or another by the main stream church. I completely understand that some of the teachings of the main stream church are not completely BIBLICAL and should be changed to make them to be SOUND Biblical teachings, but those in leadership do not seem to want to listen to their congregation. So again I completely understand why many are leaving the main stream denominations. This has been happening since the beginning of the church, especially so since the reformation. Then in the past few decades rather than placing a NAME upon themselves when people left the main stream church they simple called themselves NON denominational churches. But after awhile many of these so called NON denominational church became just like the denominational church by DOGMATICALLY teaching doctrines that to some like myself were NOT clearly defined in the scriptures. So I clearly understand the hurt that some of these families are going through.
But what they do NOT realize as yet is that THEY THEMSELVES are doing the very SAME thing. The 119 Ministries SAYS that they are OPEN to CORRECTION, but from what I have observed the leaders are pretty set on what they believe. My prayer is first for this young family that I know to be delivered from the spiritual bondage that has been deceitfully IMPOSED upon them by the 119 Ministry. And then my prayer in for the many other families that are being deceived by the FALSE teaching of the 119 Ministries. Then finally my prayer is for the leaders of this group to have their eyes opened to the TRUTH so that they will take down their FALSE teachings on their website and REPLACE them with SOUND BIBLICAL teachings base on the GOSPEL of Jesus Christ.
Again I usually do not point out specific groups, but on occasion I feel lead to do so, because I have personally seen the EFFECTS that the teachings of the 119 Ministry has had on some families that have been HURT by the mainstream denominations. One of the very first things the Lord showed me even before I actually accepted Jesus as my savior was that all these DIFFERENT DENOMINATIONS are NOT of God. When I saw in the word of God that some said I am of Paul or I am of Appollos, or I am of Christ I knew that it was NOT God's WILL that their be so many different denominations. Therefore the heart of what I teach is to bring all of us who believe in Jesus Christ into UNITY where we all teach the SAME SOUND BIBLICAL TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God.
Thanks for reading and may god bless you richly as you continue to seek the truth of the whole word of God.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE