Is Jesus the Fullness
I was TAUGHT that Jesus is God in the flesh, being FULLY GOD and fully man at the same time. And one of the scriptures that is used to teach this doctrine of the deity of Jesus as being FULLY THE one true GOD in the flesh is Colossians 2:9 which says,
“For in him (speaking of Jesus, which then could read; "For in Jesus) dwells all the FULLNESS of the Godhead BODILY.”
Now some Church denominations dogmatically state this verse means that Jesus IS the FULLNESS of the Godhead BODILY, which they later claim that this verse PROVES beyond any shadow of a doubt that Jesus IS Almighty God HIMSELF in the flesh, being FULLY God and fully man at the SAME time having TWO NATURES. One nature that is the DIVINE nature and the other nature being his human nature, which by the way consequently demands that Jesus also himself had TWO WILLS; his DIVINE will and his human will.
BUT what does the WHOLE word of God have to say on this subject?
First of all please read this verse again more closely to see what it is actually stating as fact, which agrees with the rest of God's word with absolutely NO interpretation needed to understand the SIMPLICITY of the TRUTH, which is that FULLNESS of Almighty God the Father DWELT IN Jesus and NOT that Jesus himself IS the fullness of the Godhead.
“For IN him (speaking of Jesus, which then could read for IN Jesus) dwells all the FULLNESS of the Godhead BODILY.”
Did you see that dear child of God? Almighty God the Father, who is the Godhead or the head God, the highest of all other gods, the ALMIGHTY God HIMSELF, DWELT IN his SON Jesus. Now with this mindset of the one true and only Almighty God the FATHER dwelling IN his SON Jesus I want you to read the other two places where the word Godhead appears and you will see with your spiritual eyes OPENED that the term "GODHEAD" always refers to Almighty God the FATHER in each and every occurrence in the Bible.
The word “Godhead” is found only three times in the entire Bible and all three times in the New Testament. It is found here in Colossians 2:9, which we just read. Then it is found in Romans 1:20, which we will look at next. After that we will compare these two verses with the word "Godhead" to the third time it is found, which is in Acts 17:29.
Romans 1:20 reads,
“For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so they are without excuse:”
Then in Acts 17:29 we read,
“For as much then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.”
Again some teach that Jesus IS the FULLNESS of the Godhead BODILY, based upon THEIR OWN personal INTERPRETATION of Colosians 2:9, which we have already learned means that the fullness of the Godhead, which is Almighty God the FATHER, DWELT IN his SON Jesus and NOT that Jesus, the SON OF Almighty God the Father, IS HIMSELF the fullness of the Godhead.
But to other Christians like the oneness believers, who teach that Jesus IS the FATHER, and to those Christians, who teach the doctrine of the trinity, sincerely believe that this verse in Colossians 2:9 PROVES beyond any shadow of a doubt that Jesus IS Almighty GOD HIMSELF in the flesh, as in, Jesus being FULLY GOD and fully man at the same time having two natures and two wills, one divine and one human. This teaching called the DEITY of Jesus comes from both; the Christians, who teach doctrine of the trinity, and the Christians, who teach the doctrine of oneness. Once again the doctrine of the deity of Jesus states that Jesus is the one true and only Almighty God HIMSELF in the flesh being fully THE one true God and also being fully a human being at the SAME time having TWO natures; a DIVINE NATURE and a human nature, which consequently means that Jesus had TWO WILL as well; a divine will and a human will.
BUT again what does the WHOLE word of God have to say on this subject?
As I have said on many occasions that ANY verse when taken OUT of CONTEXT and viewed APART from the WHOLE word of God may SEEM to be saying, or may be made and forced to say that Jesus is God in the flesh having TWO nature; one divine and other other human, but when it is KEPT in the CONTEXT of where it is found, then the TRUTH will be discerned.
So let's continue this study in God's word to see WHO is the Godhead.
#1. Is Almighty God the Father the Godhead ?
#2. Is Jesus the Godhead ?
#3. Is the Holy Spirit the Godhead ?
#4. Is Almighty God the Father, Jesus the Son of God, and the Holy Spirit all three together in unity the Godhead ?
Let's begin by reading these three occurrences of the word "Godhead" being LEFT IN their CONTEXT beginning with Romans 1:16-25 where Paul is speaking,
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of GOD unto salvation to everyone that believes; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17. For THEREIN (speaking of everyone that BELIEVES the gospel of Jesus the Christ) is the righteousness of GOD REVEALED from faith to faith (the name Jesus means Yahweh saves or the salvation OF Yahweh. In other words, Jesus, the SON OF Almighty God the Father is the power OF Almighty God the FATHER unto salvation of mankind for every one who believes on God's SON as being the Christ.): as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
18. For the wrath of GOD is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; (the wrath of Almighty God is committed into the hands of his SON Jesus by the Father. So GOD all the way through this entire passage of scripture is always referring o the FATHER and NOT to his SON Jesus.)
19. Because that which may be known of GOD is MANIFEST in them (men or mankind) for GOD has shown it to them. (HOW has God REVEALED, shown or MANIFESTED himself to all of mankind WITHOUT the hearing of the gospel of his SON Jesus the CHRIST?)
20. FOR (or BECAUSE) the invisible things of him (Almighty God) from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being UNDERSTOOD by the things that are MADE, even HIS (referring to Almighty God the Father as being HIS) eternal power and Godhead; (Jesus had no power of his own UNTIL his God and Father the Almighty GAVE his SON Jesus all power and authority. So the ONLY potentate who has always possesses ETERNAL power is the FATHER, who is also identified in this verse as well as being the "GODHEAD" or the HEAD God, the ALMIGHTY God over all other gods INCLUDING being the GODHEAD over his SON Jesus, whom he HIMSELF highly exalted to BECOME a God to sit and rule at his Father's right hand on his Father's throne.) so that they (all of mankind) are without excuse, because when they knew GOD, they glorified him not as GOD, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations (THINKING or REASONING) and their foolish heart was darkened.
21. PROFESSING themselves to be WISE, they became fools, And CHANGED the GLORY of the UNCORRUPTIBLE GOD (again referring to Almighty God the Father) into an image made like to corruptible MAN, and to birds, and four footed beast, and creeping things.
22. Wherefore GOD also gave them up to uncleaness through lusts of their own hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves:
23. Who CHANGE the TRUTH of God into a lie, and worshiped and served the creature MORE than the CREATOR, who is blessed forever. Amen.”
So then, when the verse in question is left in it's CONTEXT you can clearly see that Almighty God the Father who ALONE is the CREATOR is the GODHEAD being spoken of in this passage of scripture. Now some may argue that Jesus is the creator of all things, but the WHOLE word of God does NOT teach us that God's SON is the creator of all things. For a SOUND Biblical teaching of who is the CREATOR: Jesus or Almighty God the Father please read the study "EPHESIANS 3:9-11 IS JESUS THE CREATOR OF ALL THINGS?"
But for now please read Isaiah 44:24, which clearly teaches us that Yahweh ALONE created all things BY HIMSELF ALONE and no one was WITH him when the Almighty alone by himself created all things.
“Thus says the LORD, your redeemer, and HE that formed YOU from the womb (this is a prophecy of Jesus yet to be formed BY Yahweh HIMSELF in the womb of Mary to be begotten as the Son of MAN, a HUMAN being stripped of all DIVINE NATURE. Please read the study ""WHAT DOES GOD INCARNATE MEAN?", but for now please know and understand that this verse is a prophecy of Jesus yet to be formed in the womb of the virgin Mary. Yahweh is speaking to his SON Jesus who is reading this verse hearing the voice of the Holy Spirit speaking to him saying, I Yahweh who formed YOU my son in the womb), I am the LORD that makes ALL things; that stretches forth the heavens ALONE; that spreads abroad the earth BY MYSELF;”
So then, in BOTH of the first two verses where the word "Godhead" is found we have learned that each of those verses are speaking of Almighty God the Father ALONE being the Godhead.
Now let's take a look at Acts 17:22-31 where again you will clearly see that the Godhead is again Almighty God the Father and NOT his SON Jesus.
“Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars hill, and said, You men of Athens, I perceive that in all things you are superstitious.
18. For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore you ignorantly worship, HIM declare I unto you.
19. GOD (Almighty God the Father) that made the world and ALL things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, DWELLS NOT in temples made with hands;
20. Neither is worshiped with men's hands, as though he needs any thing, seeing HE (Almighty God the Father) gives to all life and breath, and all things;
21. And has made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
22. That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: For in him we live and move and have our being: as certain also of your poets have said, for we are his OFFSPRING.
23. For as much then as we are the off spring of GOD we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by are and man's device. (The Bible always calls us the sons and daughters of God and never the sons, daughters of offspring of Jesus or the SON OF God. So again we can clearly see that the "Godhead" is speaking of Almighty God the FATHER and NOT his Son Jesus.)
24. And the times of ignorance God winked at; but NOW commands all men everywhere to repent:
Because HE (Still referring to Almighty God the Father) has appointed a day, in which HE (the Father) will judge the world IN RIGHTEOUSNESS BY the MAN whom HE has ORDAINED; whereof HE (the Godhead who is the Father ALONE) has given assurance unto all men, in that HE (the eternal Godhead, Almighty God the Father) has raised HIM (the MAN Jesus Christ, the SON OF the eternal Godhead) from the dead.”
Again we can clearly see from the CONTEXT of this passage of scripture that the GODHEAD is Almighty God the Father, who will judge mankind BY the MAN, whom he himself ordained, appointed chose, elected, commissioned, and anointed to be his savior, his SON Jesus the Christ.
Now let's go back to the verse in question Colossians 2:9 and see what it says in TRUTH, being left in it's CONTEXT.
“BEWARE lest any man spoil you through philosophy and VAIN DECEIT, after the TRADITIONS of MEN, after the rudiments of the world, and NOT after CHRIST (meaning NOT after the TEACHING of the ANOINTING of Jesus the SON OF the Godhead).
9. For (or BECAUSE) IN him (IN Jesus, the SON OF Almighty God the Father DWELLS the Christ or DWELLS the ANOINTING of the Holy Spirit. In other words, Do NOT let any man DECEIVE you by TRADITIONS of man made doctrines in the church, BECAUSE IN Jesus) DWELLS all the FULLNESS of the Godhead (Almighty God the Father) BODILY.”
Here we see that IN the ANOINTING that was DWELLING IN Jesus was the FULLNESS of the GODHEAD. So then, the WHOLE word of God CLEARLY says that IN the human BODY of the MAN Jesus DWELT the FULLNESS of ALMIGHTY GOD the Father HIMSELF, which is the GODHEAD, the MOST HIGH God, or HEAD God over ALL things, INCLUDING his SON Jesus.
Now please read 1 Corinthians 11:3 which says,
“But I would have you to KNOW that the HEAD of every man is CHRIST; and the HEAD of every woman is the man: and the HEAD of CHRIST (speaking of Jesus the ANOINTED one Almighty God. In other words the HEAD of JESUS the ANOINTED one) IS GOD (referring to Almighty God the Father, who ALONE is the GODHEAD of his Son Jesus who he himself ANOINTED with power).”
The TRUTH of the matter is that the clear, plain, and simple word of God does NOT say that JESUS himself IS the FULLNESS of the Godhead BODILY, but rather the Bible says in SIMPLICITY with absolutely NO interpretation needed, that IN him or IN Jesus DWELLS all the FULLNESS of the Godhead BODILY. In other words, IN the human BODY of the MAN Jesus DWELT the FULLNESS of Almighty God in the presence of the Holy Spirit of Almighty God the Father in the same manner that the eternal Holy Spirit now DWELLS IN US as believers on Jesus as the Christ, the SON OF the living God.
So again how does the FULLNESS of the GODHEAD, which is Almighty God, DWELL IN Jesus?
Please take a look at Acts 10:38 which says,
“How GOD (Almighty God the Father, the Godhead) ANOINTED Jesus of Nazareth WITH the HOLY GHOST and with power: who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed of the devil; (HOW? How did Jesus heal the sick who were oppressed of the devil?) FOR (or BECAUSE) GOD (The Godhead, Almighty God the Father) was WITH him.”
Almighty God was WITH Jesus in the ANOINTING of the Holy Spirit. So then, the FULLNESS of Almighty God the Father, the GODHEAD, DWELT IN Jesus THROUGH the ANOINTING of the Holy Spirit to EMPOWER Jesus to do the mighty works of healing that men saw Jesus do.
Now read Colossians 1:19, which gives us the reason of why Almighty God the Father chose to DWELL in his SON Jesus.
“For it PLEASED the FATHER that IN him (or IN his SON Jesus) should all FULLNESS DWELL.”
Then John 1:17 tells us that this same FULLNESS is also given to us who BELIEVE.
“And OF his FULLNESS (The FULLNESS who DWELT IN Jesus) have all WE RECEIVED, and grace for grace.”
Then we read in Ephesians 1:19-22.
“And what is the exceeding greatness of his POWER to US WARD who BELIEVE, according to the working of his mighty power, which HE (Almighty God the Father) wrought in Christ,(or which Almighty God, the Godhead, wrought in his anointed one) when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in heavenly places,
20. Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only is this world, but also in the world to come:
21. And has put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the CHURCH,
22. Which is HIS BODY, the FULLNESS OF HIM that fills all in all.”
So here we see that we the church, are the fullness of Jesus, but this does not make us to be Almighty God. But rather this means that the church, the body of Jesus Christ, is a expression of who Jesus is. Through us the world should see Jesus. Just like Jesus said if you have seen me then you have seen the Father. It was the WORKS that Jesus did that he was speaking of seeing. The fullness of Almighty God, the GODHEAD, DWELT IN Jesus through the Holy Spirit. In other words, this SAME FULLNESS of the Godhead now DWELLS in US as believers in our Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God who died for our sins.
“For this cause I bow my knee unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15. Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named.
16. That he would grant you according to the riches of his glory, to be STRENGTHENED with might BY HIS SPIRIT in the inner man;
17. That Christ (the ANOINTING which dwelt in Jesus) may DWELL in your hearts BY FAITH; that you being rooted and grounded in love,
18. May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height:
19. And to know the love of Christ (the ANOINTED one Jesus), which passes knowledge, that you might be FILLED with ALL the FULLNESS of GOD (Almighty God the Father, the GODHEAD).”
1 Corinthians 6:16
“And what agreement has the TEMPLE of GOD with idols? For YOU are the TEMPLE of the living GOD; as God has said I will DWELL IN them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.”
1 Corinthians 3:16
“Know you not that YOU are the TEMPLE of GOD, and that SPIRIT of God DWELLS IN you?”
“In whom YOU also are built together for a habitation of God THROUGH the SPIRIT.”
The SAME Spirit of the living God who DWELT in Jesus has NOW been given to DWELL in whosoever BELIEVES on Jesus being the CHRIST and the SON OF the living God who suffered and died on the cross for their sins and that Almighty God raised his SON from the dead never more to die.
So in the same sense that IN Christ Jesus DWELT all the FULLNESS of the Godhead BODILY, so also IN the BELIEVERS DWELLS all the FULLNESS of the Godhead BODILY. Meaning that WE as BELIEVERS are now given all power and authority to do the SAME works that Jesus did THROUGH the power of the eternal Spirit who DWELT IN him.
This does NOT mean that we are GOD, or EQUAL with God, or part of the Godhead, but rather means that Almighty GOD, the fullness of the GODHEAD now DWELLS in US by his Holy Spirit. And just as Jesus lived his life without sin THROUGH the ETERNAL SPIRIT of Almighty God the Father, so are we called to live our lives free from sin by FAITH THROUGH the same the Holy Spirit of God who dwells in us. And the WORKS that Jesus did through the Father who dwelt in him, so ALSO we should be doing. Jesus said the works that he did WE should do ALSO.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God. Below are some other verses that are used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity and the deity of Jesus. There may be other verses which you may be having trouble seeing any other way than what you were dogmatically taught over and over for so long, but I assure you that each and every verse used by those who teach the doctrine of the trinity does indeed have a different meaning that does NOT CONTRADICT any other part of God's word. If there is a verse that I have not listed please do not hesitate to write to me and let me know. Some verses are included in other studies and they may not appear as an individual study. If there is a verse or verses that you seem to struggle with only being able to see the doctrine of the trinity when you read that verse, then please search out the truth by listening to the other side of the controversy. No one can arrive at the truth by hearing only ONE side of the controversy. I only present you with ALL the evidence that I myself have found and leave it to you to decide what you want to believe.
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE
Verses used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus the CHRIST.
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE