Then click DOWNLOAD arrow at top center of page.
WISDOM IS THE PRINCIPAL THING!
ABOVE ALL GET WISDOM!
This study is part of the Bible study that I am teaching called
"HOW to STUDY the Bible"
We are using the book written by Kay Arthur entitled
"Lord, Teach Me to Study the Bible in 28 Days"
As an example of one way to study the Bible.
On Day #1
This page is entitled “How Critical Is Knowledge?” On day #1 we read Hosea chapter four, verses one through three and then skipped down to verse six and we focused in on the KEY word “KNOWLEDGE by highlighting it in green. We will read this passage of scripture from both the New American Standard Version (NASB) and the Kings James Version (KJV). All verses used in this study will be from the King James Version, unless otherwise stated.
Hosea 4:1-3,6 from the New American Standard Version.
“LISTEN to the WORD of the LORD, O sons of Israel,(WHY?) For the LORD has a case against the inhabitants of the land, (WHY?) Because there is no faithfulness or kindness Or KNOWLEDGE of God in the land. (so what happen when the LAND lacks the KNOWLEDGE of God?)
3. THEREFORE (or for this REASON of the lack of KNOWLEDGE in the LAND) the land mourns, And everyone who lives in it languishes Along with the beasts of the field and the birds of the sky, And also the fish of the sea disappear....
6. MY PEOPLE are DESTROYED (WHY?) for lack of KNOWLEDGE. (WHY?) Because you have rejected KNOWLEDGE, I also will reject you from being My priest. Since (or BECAUSE) you have FORGOTTEN the law of your God, I also will forget your children.”
Hosea 4:1-3,6 in the King James Version
3. Therefore shall the land mourn, and every one that dwells therein shall languish, with the beasts of the field, and with the fowls of heaven; yea, the fishes of the sea also shall be taken away....
6. My people are DESTROYED (WHY?) for LACK of KNOWLEDGE: (WHY?) because you have REJECTED KNOWLEDGE, I will also reject you, that you shall be no priest to me: seeing you have forgotten the law of your God, I will also forget your children.”
Before we get into studying this passage of scripture I want to point out the three dots that I have highlighted in a light blue that is SEPARATING verse 3 from verse 6. When ever you are reading a book or a study and you see these three dots together, either before, between, or after a verse of scripture, then you will know that a verse of some verses have been LEFT OUT for one reason or another. Sometimes this can be MISLEADING to the proper UNDERSTAND of the text. However, in this particular case, verses 4 and 5 are more of a distraction than a help to understanding the important of KNOWLEDGE. It is always a good practice to go ahead and read the entire CONTEXT when studying the WORD of God. With that being said, let us get the the heart of the matter to gain understanding as to the vital importance of getting knowledge, particularly the KNOWLEDGE of God, or God's KNOWLEDGE.
The very first thing we are told in this passage of scripture is to LISTEN to the WORD of the Lord! When ever we see words life LISTEN, HEARKEN, BEHOLD, HEAR or THUS SAYS the Lord, then we need to TAKE HEED to what is being said. These are important words calling us to pay ATTENTION to God's WORD.
The second thing we see is that the REASON WHY the Lord wants us to LISTEN to his WORD is that he has a case against the LAND. The word “case” here in the King James Version in “controversy”, which means that the Lord has a legal dispute or a point of contention, a grievance, or a cause against the land and his people. In other words, God has a CONTROVERSY with his people and BECAUSE God and his people are NOT in AGREEMENT, then Almighty God CANNOT BLESS his people, and THIS is the REASON the is violence, wearing, deception, murder, stealing and adultery in the land and among God's people.
So then, the third thing we see is that BECAUSE God's people are NOT in AGREEMENT with him and his WORD, that this CONTROVERSY is the very REASON WHY all these bad things are in the land stated in verse 2,
“Because there is no faithfulness or kindness Or KNOWLEDGE of God in the land. (so what happen when the LAND lacks the KNOWLEDGE of God?)
2. There is swearing, deception, murder, stealing and adultery. They employ violence, so that bloodshed follows bloodshed.”
Then the fourth thing we see is that BECAUSE there is NO FAITHFULNESS, NO KINDNESS, and NO KNOWLEDGE among God's people, which produces all the VIOLENCE and bloodshed, then this is the REASON that the LAND MOURNS and shall LANGUISH. The word “LANGUISH” here means WEAK WILLED, to wither, to fade away, to languish, to be feeble, and to to hot or feverish. When you thing of hot or feverish you thing of being sick, which is a weaken condition. So then, NOT being is AGREEMENT with Almighty God and his WORD causes us to become WEAKENED in our ability to RESIST the wiles of the enemy and causes us to be weak willed in our pursuit to be STRONG in the Lord to walk in RIGHTEOUSNESS.
The fifth thing we see is that because of this LACK of KNOWLEDGE of Almighty God and his WORD among God's people that NOT only are God's PEOPLE DESTROYED, but the WHOLE LAND suffers, and by whole land we see in verse 3 that along with God's PEOPLE being DESTROYED that EVERYONE in the LAND, ALONG with the beast of the field the birds in the air, and the fish are DESTROYED as well.
So then, HOW IMPORTANT or HOW CRITICAL is KNOWLEDGE?
If you thing about it, KNOWLEDGE is important in every aspect of our life. Thing about NOT teaching a small child to look both ways before crossing a street. Or for that matter teach our children anything that will BENEFIT them in life, think about WHAT this LACK of KNOWLEDGE will bring about in their life? So KNOWLEDGE in general is of VITAL importance, but even more so the KNOWLEDGE of Almighty God and his WORD.
Why do I say this? Remember the words of Jesus found in Luke 10:17-20, which says,
20. Notwithstanding in this (in this WHAT? In the fact that God has given you POWER and AUTHORITY over the enemy and even the the devils are subject unto you in the name of Jesus, in THIS) REJOICE NOT, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.”
You see my dear brothers and sisters in the Lord, we can be destroyed by the enemy now in this life and still obtain ETERNAL LIFE in the world to come. And this is the MOST important thing. However, we do NOT have to be DESTROYED in this PRESENT world. In other words, we do NOT have to choose one over the other. That is to say, we can have BOTH! So WHY are the CHILDREN of Almighty God DESTROYED or suffer things that they have been FREED from by the atonement and the WORD of Almighty God? Again the answer is that they LACK KNOWLEDGE!
So then, WHAT is the SOLUTION to this problem? If you said. GET KNOWLEDGE, then you are partly correct, for you see we need more than just getting KNOWLEDGE to solve the problem of being destroyed fro LACK of KNOWLEDGE. We ALSO need to GET UNDERSTANDING. So then, with our GETTING KNOWLEDGE we also need to GET UNDERSTANDING. But even having BOTH KNOWLEDGE and UNDERSTANDING is still not enough to solving the problem of being DESTROYED for LACK of KNOWLEDGE. For your see my dear brothers and sisters in the Lord, we ALSO need to GET WISDOM, because the WORD of God teaches us the WISDOM is the PRINCIPAL thing, which we will look at in a moment. But first I would like to explain a little about the DIFFERENCE between KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTANDING, and WISDOM.
Now one can have KNOWLEDGE, but still LACK UNDERSTANDING. You see, one can have KNOWLEDGE about and automobile having an engine, but LACK UNDERSTANDING of HOW the combustion engine works. Also one can even have UNDERSTANDING on HOW the combustion engine works, but still LACKS the WISDOM or ABILITY of HOW to repair the engine when it ceases to work properly. Can you not see that we need WISDOM in order to have the ABILITY to take KNOWLEDGE and UNDERSTANDING and APPLY them to our life? WISDOM is the PRINCIPAL thing as we see in Proverbs 4:7.
The Bible teaches us in Proverbs 4:7 that WISDOM is the PRINCIPAL thing and THEREFORE we should get WISDOM and with our getting WISDOM we should also get UNDERSTANDING!
So let us read Proverbs 4:7 in it context by reading the whole chapter of Proverbs chapter, verses 1-27, which says,
“HEAR, you children, the INSTRUCTION of a father, and ATTEND to KNOW UNDERSTANDING.
2. For I give you good doctrine, forsake you not my law.
3. For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
4. He taught me also, and said unto me, Let your heart RETAIN my words: keep my commandments, and live.
5. GET WISDOM, get understanding: forget it NOT; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
6. Forsake her not, (WHY?) and she shall preserve you: love her, and she shall keep you.
7. WISDOM is the PRINCIPAL thing; THEREFORE (or for this REASON) GET WISDOM: AND (and WHAT? AND) with all your getting get understanding.
8. Exalt her, (WHY?) and she shall promote you: she shall bring you to honor, when you do embrace her.
9. She shall give to your head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to you.
10. HEAR, O my son, and RECEIVE my sayings; and the years of your life shall be many.
11. I have taught you in the way of WISDOM; I have led you in right paths.
12. When you go, your steps shall not be straitened; and when you run, you shall not stumble.
13. Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; (WHY?) for (or BECAUSE) she is your life.
14. Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.
15. Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.
16. For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away , unless they cause some to fall.
17. For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.
18. But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shines more and more unto the perfect day.
19. The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.
20. My son, ATTEND to my WORDS; incline your ear unto my SAYINGS.
21. Let them NOT depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of your heart. (WHY?)
22. For (or BECAUSE) they (God's WORD) are LIFE unto those that find them, and HEALTH to ALL their FLESH.
23. KEEP your heart with all diligence; (WHY?) for out of IT (your HEART) are the issues of life.
24. Put away from you a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from you.
25. Let your eyes look right on, and let your eyelids look straight before you.
26. Ponder the path of your feet, and let all your ways be established.
27. Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove your foot from evil.”
WOW! There is a lot in this passage of scripture! But for now I want to focus upon GETTING WISDOM and with our GETTING WISDOM that we ALSO GET UNDERSTANDING of the KNOWLEDGE that we obtain.
Let us begin by looking at WHAT the Bible calls WISDOM. We know that WISDOM in general simply means the ABILITY to APPLY the KNOWLEDGE that we have obtained. In the simplest term, this is what wisdom means, to APPLY what we have learned to our lives. However, the WORD of God reaches much deeper into the TRUE meaning of WISDOM. So then, let us see what the WORD of God has to say about WISDOM. Please read Job 28:28, which says,
“And unto MAN (or mankind) he said, BEHOLD, the FEAR of the Lord, THAT (speaking of the FEAR of the Lord) IS WISDOM; and to DEPART from evil IS UNDERSTANDING.”
Then in Psalm 111:10 we read,
So then, they that DEPART from evil and DO the COMMANDMENTS of Almighty God HAVE a GOOD UNDERSTANDING and possess the BEGINNING of WISDOM, because they have the FEAR of the Lord.
Then we read in Proverbs 1:7 that the FEAR of the Lord
is the beginning of UNDERSTANDING rather than WISDOM, which some may
see as the Bible contradicting itself, but in all actuality
UNDERSTANDING leads us to obtaining WISDOM. Either way the Bible is teaching us the vital importance of the FEAR of the Lord. For a deeper understanding of this subject please read the study called "WHY do we ALL NEED the FEAR of the LORD?".
On the surface it seems like it is a vicious circle, so which comes FIRST? Well for me, I think KNOWLEDGE comes FIRST. And I say this because of Romans 10:14 which says,
“HOW then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? And HOW shall they believe in him of whom they have NOT heard? And how shall they HEAR without a preacher (or an INSTRUCTOR in righteousness)?
15. And HOW shall they preach, except they be sent? As it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
21. But to Israel he says, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gain saying people.”
You see, KNOWING or just having KNOWLEDGE is NOT the SOLUTION to being DESTROYED for LACK of KNOWLEDGE. One can KNOW that there is a God, but this KNOWLEDGE or KNOWING that there is a God is NOT a solution for being destroyed for LACK of KNOWLEDGE. I know this may sound a bit confusing at first, but if you will stick with me it will all come together before this study is completed.
First we see from Romans 10 that Israel did in fact KNOW or have KNOWLEDGE of God and his commandments, but yet God REJECTED them. WHY? BECAUSE they did NOT APPLY the KNOWLEDGE that they had been given by the INSTRUCTORS, the prophets and priest and judges and such. They did not KEEP the WORD of the Lord in their hearts to OBEY all that God had INSTRUCTED them to DO. In short they did NOT BELIEVE! This APPLYING the KNOWLEDGE of God's WORD is WISDOM
Let us go to Hebrews 4:1,2 which says,
“Let us therefore FEAR, lest (or for fear that), a PROMISE (or that which has ALREADY been PROVIDED for us of Almighty God or) being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2. For unto us was the gospel PREACHED (or we were given KNOWLEDGE), as well as unto them (or in other words, they HEARD that same WORD taught to them that is taught to us): but the WORD preached (or the KNOWLEDGE that they obtained) did NOT profit them, (WHY?) NOT being MIXED with FAITH in them that heard it.”
So then, here we see the vital importance of BELIEVING or having FAITH in the WORD of God. For you see, it is through FAITH or BELIEVING the WORD of KNOWLEDGE that we have obtained through teaching and preaching is APPLIED to our lives, which is WISDOM. Hebrews 11:6 teaches us that we just first believe that God IS and that he is the REWARDER of them that diligently seek him. And is this same verse we also learn that it is IMPOSSIBLE to please God without FAITH.
“But WITHOUT FAITH it is IMPOSSIBLE to PLEASE him: for he that comes to God MUST BELIEVE that he IS, and that he is a REWARDER of them that DILIGENTLY SEEK him.”
From this verse we see that God IS and that he IS a REWARDER of those who DILIGENTLY SEEK him, which teaches us that KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTANDING, and WISDOM does not come without some EFFORT on our part.
With that being said, let us look at some of the verses of scripture that implore us to SEEK after KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTANDING and WISDOM. Please read Psalm 51:6, which teaches us that God not only desires that our hearts possess the word of TRUTH, but that God will GIVE or to make us know WISDOM.
“Behold, you desire TRUTH in the inward parts (or our hearts): and in the hidden part (or in my heart or inner man) you shall make me to know WISDOM.”
So then, when the word of TRUTH gets into our HEARTS or in our INNER man, then God makes us to know WISDOM or how to APPLY this knowledge of the TRUTH to our lives. Psalm 90:12 says,
Now it the context, this verse is speaking about APPLYING our hearts to WISDOM in KNOWING that the NUMBER of the days of man is 70 to 80 years of age, so that the enemy will not steal or cut short our life through sickness and disease. For a deeper understanding on this subject, please read the study entitled, "OUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED", but for now let us continue with reading the word of God that teaches of to DILIGENTLY SEEK after KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTANDING, and WISDOM. Please read Proverbs 2:1-22 which says,
UNDERSTANDING shall keep you:
Again, there is a lot in this passage of scripture, but our focus for now is the SEEKING after KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTANDING, and WISDOM. Please read Proverbs 3:13-18, which teaches us that happy are those that FIND WISDOM and UNDERSTANDING.I have heard through the years where Christian ask WHY? Why do bad things happen to good people? Why does God allow tragedy? Some even BLAME God for everything that happens. But for me this never set very well in my spirit so I pursued a deeper UNDERSTANDING and the Holy Spirit showed me something that has truly blessed and help me UNDERSTAND the reason WHY God allows many things even though it is NOT his WILL for them to be. I encourage you to read the study that I have entitled "UNDERSTANDING WHY", but for now please read Proverbs 3:13-18 which says,
Now from this passage of scripture we
can see that true WISDOM
is speaking of JESUS,
because one can only obtain eternal life through Jesus, and WISDOM is
called a tree of life.
Please read Proverbs 8:1-36, which sheds more light on WISDOM being a
type or shadow that speaks of Jesus. So above all get WISDOM or ABOVE ALL get Jesus! WISDOM is the PRINCIPLE thing or Jesus is the PRINCIPLE thing!
Verse 12 clearly shows us that WISDOM is speaking in the first person and if we follow the pronoun use all the way down though verse 35 we clearly see that whosoever finds WISDOM, which I believe is referring to JESUS, that is to say, whosoever finds JESUS finds LIFE speaking of ETERNAL LIFE, which only comes through JESUS.
So then, when the Bible teaches us that the PRINCIPAL thing is WISDOM it is actually speaking of the PRINCIPAL this being JESUS. Rejoice that your name is written in the book of life is the PRINCIPAL thing; all else are blessings and benefits of salvation.
Proverbs 7:4 teaches us the principle of calling the things that are not as though they were. In other words, this verse teaches us the importance of speaking right words.
For a deeper understand of the vital importance of speaking RIGHT WORDS both in prayer and our everyday speech please read the study entitled "THE POWER OF OUR WORDS". But for now let us finish taking a look at some more verses that teach us to SEEK after KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTANDING, and above all FINDING JESUS of WISDOM.
Please read the following verses:
“Wherefore is there a price in the hand of a fool to get wisdom, seeing he hath no heart to it?”
“Wisdom is before him that hath understanding ; but the eyes of a fool are in the ends of the earth.”
“Through DESIRE a man, having SEPARATED himself, SEEKS and inter meddles with all WISDOM.”
“The words of a man's mouth are as deep waters, and the wellspring of wisdom as a flowing brook.”
We also know from Luke 2:52 that Jesus in WISDOM and in favor with God and man.
So if Jesus needed to increase in WISDOM and FAVOR with God an man, then how much more do we need to SEEK after, KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTANDING, and WISDOM?
Luke 21:12-15 teaches us that when we are persecuted and brought before men to give an answer of our faith that we are not to take thought of what we are to say before hand, but that Jesus through the Holy Spirit will give us WISDOM and the words to speak, the moment we need them.
Acts 6:10 says it like this,
Now that we KNOW without a doubt that it is God's WILL for us to INCREASE in KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTANDING and WISDOM, then let us use the following passages of scripture to PRAY and ASK Almighty God for these things. Please read the following passages of scripture and then put them in your own words as a PRAYER to Almighty God in SEEKING after KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTANDING, and WISDOM in every are of our life.
18. The eyes of your UNDERSTANDING being enlightened; that ye may KNOW what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
“If ANY of you LACK WISDOM, let him ASK of God, that GIVES to ALL men liberally, and upbraids not; and it SHALL be GIVEN him.
6. BUT let him ask in FAITH, nothing wavering (WHY?). For (or because) he that WAVERS is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
7. For let not that man (the man or woman that WAVERS or DOUBTS when they pray, let not THAT person) think that he shall RECEIVE any thing of the Lord. (WHY?)
8. A double minded man (or a person that WAVERS and DOUBTS) is unstable in all his ways.”
This is WHY we go to the very WORD of Almighty God in order to find out WHAT his WILL is for us. For you see my dear brothers and sisters in the Lord, God's WORD IS God's WILL for us! Therefore if we find it written in his WORD, then we can be ASSURED that it IS his WILL, and then we can stand upon the PROMISE found is 1 John 5:14,15 as a "WRITTEN GUARANTEE" so to speak that our PRAYERS will not only be HEARD, but also ANSWERED in the very way that we PRAYED them.
“And THIS is the CONFIDENCE that we have in him, THAT, if we ask ANY thing according to his WILL, he HEARS us:
Therefore since we KNOW that it IS God's WILL for us to come to the KNOWLEDGE of the TRUTH and to GET WISDOM and UNDERSTANDING, then all that is left for us to do is ASK, but let us ask in FAITH without WAVERING, and we SHALL HAVE the things that we have ASKED in prayer BELIEVING we shall RECEIVE them.
Remember what we learned in the study "THE FAITHFULNESS OD ALMIGHTY GOD" that God is ALWAYS FAITHFUL and he will DO what he said he would DO!
Thanks for reading and may God bless you richly as you continue to study his word.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE