YHWH rained down fire from YHWH.
Does Genesis 19:24 teach that Almighty God is a “TRINITY”? Almighty God is identified in the Old Testament by the tetragrammaton “YHWH”, which is written as “YHVH” by some Bible scholars and these FOUR Hebrew letters are translated as Lord or LORD in many Bibles and most always refers to THE ALMIGHTY God who is ONE God.
Now KNOWING that there is only ONE God who is THE ALMIGHTY this verse is Genesis 19:24 may SEEM to be saying that there are TWO Almighty God, which would be a CONTRADICTION of the very word “ALMIGHTY”, which can ONLY mean that the God who is THE ALMIGHTY is the HIGHEST God OVER all over gods. Therefore since there can be only ONE God who is ALMIGHTY and Genesis 19:24 SEEMS to be saying that there are TWO who are THE “YHWH”, then those who teach the doctrine of the “trinity” make the claim that this verse is speaking of Almighty God the Father who cause it to rain down fire and brimstone from God the SON, who is one and the SAME being as Almighty God, but yet the SON is NOT the FATHER.
In other words, the “DOCTRINE” of the trinity states that Almighty God is THREE separate persons or being in ONE God, who are CO EQUAL and CO ETERNAL, but NOT three separate Gods, but rather ONE ALMIGHTY God in THREE separate persons. Those who teach the doctrine of the trinity also say that this is a MYSTERY that just cannot be comprehended fully by man and therefore must be accepted and believed by faith.
Also those who teach the doctrine of the trinity interpret Genesis 19:24 saying that God the Father is NOT God the SON, and God the SON is NOT God the FATHER, but yet they are both the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God YHWH since the Bible clearly teaches us that there is only ONE God who is ALMIGHTY. Therefore those who teach the doctrine of the trinity say that this verse is speaking of Almighty God the Father who causes it to rain down fire and brimstone from God the SON, who is one and the SAME being as Almighty God, but yet the SON is NOT the FATHER.
But is this INTERPRETATION the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God?
Let us read this verse first alone and OUT of context where is does SEEM to be saying that there are TWO who are THE “YHWH”, when this verse is read alone and apart from the rest of God's word.
Now we all know that there cannot be TWO Gods who are THE ALMIGHTY. So then WHAT does this verse mean? Is Genesis 19:24 truly teaching that ALMIGHTY God YHWH is a “TRINITY?
I want to first draw your attention that IF SO BE this verse is truly speaking of TWO who are THE YHWH, then I want you to notice that there are only TWO Gods and NOT THREE Gods being spoken of in this verse. I will explain more of what I mean by this a little further on in this study, but for now just know that TWO who are YHWH do NOT make a TRINITY which is THREE who are YHWH.
Now to ME, this verse is very simply explained by taking a closer look at Genesis in the CONTEXT and then in the original Hebrew text and the LITERAL translation of this seemingly contradictory verse.
Here is Genesis chapter 19 verse 24 along with verse 25, and the rest of the context through verse 29, where we see just ONE who is raining down TWO judgments of fire AND brimstone on the TWO cities of Sodom AND Gomorrah.
“Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven; (LITERALLY translated as: “and YHWH he caused to rain on Sodom and on Gomorrah sulfur and fire from YHWH from the heavens.” Which can be read as follows: “The Almighty caused to rain down FIRE on Sodom and the Almighty BRIMSTONE on Gomorrah from heaven.” In other words, TWO elements of judgment upon TWO different cities, but just ONE Almighty God who CAUSED or COMMANDED these judgments.)
25. And HE (SINGULAR speaking of the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God by the hand of his ELOHIM or MIGHTY ONES the ANGELS) overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground.
27. And Abraham got up early in the morning to the place where he (Abraham) stood before the LORD (YHWH, the Almighty, but more precisely Abraham stood before the FACES of the Almighty the invisible God. In other words, earlier the ANGELS or the representatives of the Almighty stood before Abraham and not the invisible Almighty God himself):
30. And it came to pass, when God (ELOHIM, speaking of the angels obeying the command of YHWH) destroyed the cities of the plain, that God (ELOHIM) remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow, when he overthrew the cities in the which Lot dwelt.”
So then, the SIMPLE uncomplicated answer to the SEEMINGLY contradictory verse is to go to the LITERAL translation of the Hebrew in order to see that there are TWO different elements of judgment that were rained down upon TWO different cities.
One could paraphrase this verse to be something like:
“And the Almighty commanded FIRE and BRIMSTONE to rain down on the city of Sodom, and FROM the Almighty [ALSO command] FIRE and BRIMSTONE to rain down on Gomorrah [as well].”
So to ME, this verse in no way proves beyond any shadow of a doubt to dogmatically mean that the Almighty is a “TRINITY”.
One of the rules of interpretation is that whatever interpretation is conclude it MUST NOT CONTRADICT ANY OTHER part of God's word. And having TWO God's who are BOTH ALMIGHTY is a CONTRADICTION of what the very word " ALMIGHTY" means, which is to be the HIGHEST God OVER ALL over gods. And YHWH most always refers to THE ON TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God.
As I said early that IF SO BE genesis is speaking of TWO separate beings or persons as BOTH being the ALMIGHTY, which to ME is impossible, then this verse still does NOT teach a “trinity”, but rather would be teaching TWO persons in ONE God, rather than THREE persons in ONE God.
The SAME can be said of John 1:1, which is also used to teach THREE persons in ONE God, but in TRUTH the whole context of John 1:1 there are only TWO workings of the SAME being that are spoken of that are THE Word and THE ALMIGHTY.
All through the New Testament we only see Almighty God the FATHER and his SON Jesus the CHRIST or the ANOINTED ONE OF Almighty God the Father.
Yes we do see verse that speak of the Holy Spirit of Almighty God the Father, but if you closely examine the WHOLE word of God you will clearly see that the ETERNAL SPIRIT that DWELT IN the SON of Almighty God IS the FATHER.
Please read John 14:1-7 where we CLEARLY see that Jesus and the Father are NOT ONE and the SAME being or person and that the Father DWELLS IN his SON Jesus as the one who is actually DOING the mighty works of healing by way of his Son obeying his Father's voice.
3. And if I go and prepare a place for you (please read the study called “THE POWER AND THE AUTHORITY OF THE BELIEVER” to understand the truth that the PLACE that Jesus is speaking of is to make those who BELIEVE to be a CLEAN vessel IN which Almighty God himself can come and DWELL IN those who BELIEVE so that WE would be EMPOWERED to do the SAME might works that Jesus did THROUGH the eternal holy Spirit of Almighty God that DWELT IN him that did the works.), I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
9. Jesus said unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast you not known me, Philip? He that has seen me has seen the Father (because Jesus is the EXPRESS IMAGE OF his God and Father, who is the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God. And Jesus came to SHOW us HIS God and his Father the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God. The scriptures do NOT teach us that Jesus IS the FATHER, but rather that Jesus is the SON OF Almighty God, who ALONE is the FATHER and that we must believe in BOTH and honor BOTH in order to obtain eternal life in the world to come. If we do NOT have the SON, then we do NOT have the Father, but those who believe in the SON will have the Father ALSO.); and how say you then, Show us the Father?
17. Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it sees him not, neither knows him: but you know him; for he dwells with you, and shall be IN you.”
Up until the day of Pentecost the Holy Spirit of Almighty God was only WITH and came UPON the prophets of the Old Testament but had never DWELT IN I human being BEFORE the MAN Jesus the Son of Almighty God the Father.
While Jesus was on the earth in the days of hi FLESH he was the teacher, but when Jesus completed the first stage of his mission so to speak and he ascended into heaven to the right hand of his god and Father, then Jesus PROMISED to send ANOTHER comforter to takes his place to lead and guide us into all truth. This other comforter is the ETERNAL SPIRIT also called the Spirit of TRUTH and the Holy Spirit of Almighty God.
Now please read 1 John 4:6-17 where we clearly see that the Holy Spirit of Almighty God IS Almighty God himself being ONE and the SAME beings and NOT two separate persons or two separate beings.
7. Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loves is born of God, and KNOWS GOD. (so here we see that God and the SPIRIT of TRUTH who is the COMFORTER is one and the SAME BEING as opposed to being TWO SEPARATE persons in ONE God. The Bible teaches us that God is a SPIRIT who is ETERNAL. And in Hebrews we see that the ETERNAL SPIRIT helped Jesus to over come SIN. So then, this leaves us with Almighty God the FATHER who IS the ETERNAL Holy Spirit and the SON OF the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God who ALONE is the FATHER. BUT NOT to separate persons in ONE God, but rather TWO SEPARATE GODS. ONE God who is the ALMIGHTY and one god or Lord, who is the SON OF the one true and only Almighty God the Father that is UNDER and SUBJECT to HIS God and Father. This is what the WHOLE word of God teaches us.)
9. In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten SON into the world, that we might live through him. (God did NOT send HIMSELF, but rather the Almighty God sent his SON. God sent or spoke forth his WORD and the WORD was MADE or became a human being that Almighty God the Father DWELT IN to empower his SON to be an OVER COMER of God's enemy to destroy the works of the devil)
14. And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the SON to be the Savior of the world (the Father did NOT send HIMSELF, but rather the Almighty sent his SON as the means by which Almighty God the Father would save the world).
17. Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because AS HE IS (speaking of Jesus being ANOINTED WITH or FILLED with the ETERNAL Father who IS SPIRIT), SO ARE WE in this world.”
In John 4:23,24 we see that Almighty God the Father is a SPIRIT.
24. God IS a SPIRIT: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”
Then in Acts 10:38 we see that Almighty God the Father ANOINTED his SON Jesus with his very own selfsame Holy Spirit that DWELT IN his SON to empower his SON to do the WORKS that his God and Father SENT his SON to do.
You see my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus the CHRIST or the ANOINTED ONE, the TRUTH of the matter is that Jesus was NOT the ALMIGHTY GOD who alone is the FATHER in the flesh as in being ONE and the SAME BEING where Jesus was FULLY THE ALMIGHTY God in the flesh. But rather Jesus was the SON OF Almighty God HIS God and Father, the spoken WORD OF Almighty God that was MADE or BECAME flesh a HUMAN being that was conceived in the womb of the virgin Mary and was BORN the Son of MAN who was then FILLED WITH the ETERNAL SPIRIT who IS the FATHER.
In other words, Almighty God the Father being the ETERNAL SPIRIT came down in the form or shape of a dove and DWELT IN his SON Jesus to ANOINT his SON with POWER and AUTHORITY over the enemy, BECAUSE his SON Jesus was the Son of MAN. Please read the studies “JESUS THE SON OF MAN” and “JESUS THE CHRIST” for a deeper understanding that Jesus was a HUMAN being just like us all except that Jesus had a UNIQUE birth by not having an earthly human Father. But in every other way Jesus was clearly seen as a HUMAN being who was tempted in ALL points just like we are tempted and yet Jesus OVER CAME every temptation and did NOT SIN. BUT HOW did Jesus do this seeing that he was just a MAN?
Please read Hebrews 9:14 which clearly teaches us that Jesus OVER CAME sin BY or THROUGH the ETERNAL SPIRIT who DWELT IN him.
“How much more shall the blood of CHRIST, who (speaking of Jesus the SON OF the living God whom Almighty God ANOINTED to be the CHRIST or the Son of MAN who was ANOINTED with the ETERNAL SPIRIT who is the FATHER that DWELT IN his SON who) THROUGH the ETERNAL Spirit offered himself without spot (or without SIN) to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?”
This SAME eternal SPIRIT now DWELLS IN US who BELIEVE and confess that Jesus is the SON of Almighty God the Father who IS the ETERNAL SPIRIT.
You see, the word of TRUTH teaches us that there is only ONE who has always been IMMORTAL or ETERNAL from all eternity past and future. And Jesus came to SHOW us WHO is the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God the FATHER of ALL. Please read 1 Timothy 6:14-16, which clearly teaches us that this ONE who ONLY has IMMORTALITY is the INVISIBLE God who is a SPIRIT.
15. Which in his times (speaking of the first and second comings of Jesus) he (Jesus, the SON of Almighty God) shall show, WHO is the blessed and ONLY Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;
16. WHO ONLY has IMMORTALITY, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom NO man has SEEN, NOR CAN SEE (which can ONLY be speaking of Almighty God the AFTER who IS SPIRIT and who IS ETERNAL. So then seeing that there is only ONE who ONLY has IMMORTALITY, then the ALMIGHTY is the ETERNAL SPIRIT that DWELT IN his SON Jesus): to whom be honor and power everlasting. Amen.”
You see, my dear brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus the CHRIST, the WHOLE word of Almighty God clearly teaches us that Jesus, the Son of MAN was GIVEN ETRENAL LIF BY HIS God and Father the ALMIGHTY. Please read John 5:18-27
“Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the Sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God. (now this is just the Jews who were FALSELY ACCUSING Jesus as making himself EQUAL with his God and Father just because Jesus said that God was his FATHER. Jesus was NOT saying the he himself was THE ALMIGHTY God, NOR was Jesus making himself EQUAL with his God and Father the ALMIGHTY God. These same Jews ALSO falsely ACCUSED Jesus of having a DEVIL, but there is not one Christian who will believe that the Jews were speaking the TRUTH when they accuse Jesus of having a devil, but for some reason when these same Jesus accused Jesus of making himself EQUAL with ALMIGHTY God, then they INTERPRET this to mean that Jesus himself was saying that he was equal to his FATHER. And we KNOW that this is not true, because in John 14:28 Jesus CLEARLY states that the Father is GREATER than himself)
19. Then answered Jesus (or Jesus made his DEFENSE against this FALSE ACCUSATION of making himself EQUAL with his Father) and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The SON can do NOTHING OF HIMSELF, but what he sees the Father do: for what things soever he does, these also does the Son likewise.(In other words, whatever Jesus saw in a vision or in a dream or what Jesus heard the eternal Spirit within him saying, then Jesus simply obey and did. For example Jesus may have seen his Father in a vision stooping down and picking up some mud and then Jesus saw in this vision or dream that his Father wiped the mud in the eyes of a blind man and then heard his Father tell the blind man to go and wash his eyes and he would come again seeing. AND then Jesus saw in the vision or dream that the blind man was healed. Then when Jesus was walking along the Holy Spirit DWELLING IN him spoke and said this is than man that I want you to heal. Bend down and do what you SAW me do. And Jesus simply obeyed while the FATHER actually did the WORKS of HEALING. And Jesus said these same works that he did YOU shall do ALSO. The more you believe and are aware of the FATHER that is IN you, then the more you will do the WORKS that Jesus did including OVER COMING SIN.)
22. FOR (or BECAUSE) the Father judges no man, but has COMMITTED all judgment unto the SON: (again clearly showing us that Jesus is NOT the FATHER. But WHY did Almighty God the Father COMMIT all judgment into the hands of his SON?)
23. THAT (or so THAT) all men should HONOR the Son, EVEN AS they HONOR the Father. He that honors NOT the Son honors NOT the Father which has SENT him. (this verse clearly teaches us that we must have BOTH the SON and the Father. But again there is only TWO being spoke of that we must HONOR rather than THREE as the doctrine of the trinity teaches. You see the reason that we are NOT taught to honor the Father the SON and the Holy Spirit is because the Father IS the eternal Holy SPIRIT. God is Holy, the Spirit is Holy. God is a SPIRIT and the eternal Spirit is obviously SPIRIT. The Holy Spirit DWELT IN Jesus and the FATHER dwelt IN Jesus. The SOVEREIGN Almighty God who ALONE is IMMORTAL or ETERNAL and the SPIRIT is ETERNAL. So the obvious logical conclusion is that the FATHER IS the ETERNAL SPIRIT, as in being the ONE and SELF SAME BEING that ALON is ALMIGHTY and OVER the SON Jesus.)
26. For AS the Father has life IN himself (being the ONLY ONE who has always had IMMORTALITY); SO has he (Almighty God the Father) GIVEN to the SON to HAVE life IN himself; (in other words, Jesus was NOT ALMIGHTY God because the SON needed to be GIVEN ETERNAL LIFE in order to BECOME and IMMORTAL being like HIS God and Father the ONE TRUE and ONLY ALMIGHTY God)
27. And has GIVEN him authority to execute judgment ALSO, BECAUSE he is the Son of MAN.”
It was needful for Jesus to be FULLY 100% MAN in order to be a WORTHY sacrifice as an innocent spotless LAMB that was slain WITHOUT CAUSE so that he could REDEEM mankind back to his God and Father the Almighty. To better understand this TRUTH please read the study “UNDERSTANDING WHY”.
My point is that the whole word of God does NOT teach us that there is a TRINITY, but rather teaches us that Almighty God being and ETERNAL SPIRIT one day had a SON that the Father would lead, guide, and strengthen to over come his enemy and clearly his name that had been falsely accused of creating Lucifer as and evil rebellious angel and that it was not Lucifer's fault for trying to take over God's throne. Please read the study “WHO IS LUCIFER?---IS LUCIFER SATAN?” along with the study understanding why which will answer a lot of questions that I have heard Christians ask through the years I have walked with the Lord.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God. Below are some other verses that are used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity and the deity of Jesus. There may be other verses which you may be having trouble seeing any other way than what you were dogmatically taught over and over for so long, but I assure you that each and every verse used by those who teach the doctrine of the trinity does indeed have a different meaning that does NOT CONTRADICT any other part of God's word. If there is a verse that I have not listed please do not hesitate to write and let me know. Some verse are included in others studies and they may not appear as an individual study.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE
Verses used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus the CHRIST.
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE