ISAIAH 48:16 – The Lord and his Spirit has sent me!
Does Isaiah 48:16 teach us that Almighty God is a "TRINITY"? Some who teach the doctrine of the trinity use this verse in the King James Version of the Bible to try and support their teaching that Almighty God is a trinity.
But is this verse TRULY saying that Almighty God is a "TRINITY"? Let us begin this study in God's word by reading this verse from the King James Version.
As I have said many times that ANY verse when taken OUT of CONTEXT and viewed ALONE and APART from the REST of God's word may SEEM to be saying something that if is NOT TRULY saying. In others words, when a Christian who has been taught that Almighty God is a "TRINITY" reads this verse it does APPEAR that the Lord God would be God the Father, and the ME who was SENT would APPEAR to be the SON Jesus, and HIS Spirit would APPEAR to be the Holy Spirit of Almighty God. And it also APPEARS as if the ME is the one speaking in the first person "I" have not spoken in secret from the beginning speaking of himself.
So then, if this verse does NOT speak of Almighty God as being a "TRINITY", then what does this verse TRULY mean? First let us read this verse from a couple of other translations of the Bible.
Here is Isaiah 48:16 from the American Standard Version.
“Come you near unto me, hear you this; from the beginning I have not spoken in secret; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord Jehovah has sent ME, and his Spirit.”
Here we can clearly see that Almighty God YEHWEH has sent his SON Jesus AND ALSO Yehweh has sent his own self same Holy Spirit along WITH his SON. In other words. We have just ONE who is doing the SENDING, which AGREES with the REST of God's word.
Here is Isaiah 48:16 from the Bible in Basic English.
Here in this translation we see even more clearly that Almighty God has SENT his SON Jesus AND the Father has GIVEN his SON his very own self same Holy Spirit to DWELL IN his SON Jesus, which again AGREES with the REST of God's word.
Here is Isaiah 48:16 from the New International Readers Version.
“Come close and listen to me. "From the first time I said Cyrus was coming, I did not do it in secret. When he comes, I will be there." The LORD and King has FILLED ME WITH his Spirit. People of Israel, he has SENT ME to you.”
Here again we clearly see just ONE who is doing the SENDING who in the Almighty God the Father. Now there still seems to be THREE because there are TWO who are being SENT by Almighty God the Father. But in TRUTH Almighty God who IS a SPIRIT is sending his Son Jesus out into the world being FILLED with the FATHER HIMSELF.
Here is Isaiah 48:16 from the Today's International Version.
From this translation we see more clearly that it is Almighty God who first SPEAKS froth his WORD and then Almighty God is always WITH his word to PERFORM it. We also still see just ONE who is SENDING, but it becomes more clear to us that the ONE who is doing the sending is ALSO the ONE who is DOING the WORKS that he himself has SPOKEN into being. In other words, Almighty God did NOT send his SON Jesus ALONE, but rather Almighty God ENDUED or ENDOWED his SON Jesus WITH POWER from on high by FILLING his SON Jesus WITH HIMSELF his very own selfsame Holy Spirit. And this AGREES with the REST of God's word.
Please read Acts 10:38 where we are clearly taught that Almighty God the Father ANOINTED his SON Jesus WITH his very own self same Holy Spirit and POWER to go forth out into the world and HEAL all who were OPPRESSED by the enemy of Almighty God, Satan the Devil.
“That WORD (or that GOSPEL), I say, you know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and BEGAN from Galilee, AFTER the baptism which John preached;
38. How God (Almighty God the Father) ANOINTED Jesus of Nazareth WITH the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; FOR (or Jesus was able to do these mighty works of healing BECAUSE) God (Almighty God the FATHER HIMSELF) was WITH him.”
Here we clearly see that Jesus was ENDOWED or was ENDUED WITH POWER from on high by the FATHER who DWELT IN his SON Jesus. In other words, Jesus was NOT ALONE, because Almighty God the FATHER HIMSELF DWELT IN his SON Jesus to ANOINT and EMPOWER his SON to do the WORKS that he SENT his SON and his SPIRIT to do. This AGREE with what we just read in Isaiah 48:16.
Now please read Luke 4:1-21 which is right after Jesus was baptized as was FILLED WITH the Holy Spirit of his God and Father.
“And Jesus being FULL of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,
2. Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing : and when they were ended, he AFTERWARD hungered. (to ME it seems like Jesus fasted for forty days and then after these forty days Jesus was TEMPTED by the devil)
6. And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give you, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it. (Almighty God at the first gave or made Lucifer to be “A” god over the earth BEFORE mankind was ever created. Lucifer ruled over another humanoid species of being. But then Lucifer was lifted up with pride and said within himself I will EXALT MY throne above the CLOUDS. And then WAR broke and and Satan was cast out of the heavens referring to the freedom of travel throughout the entire universe down to the heaven or the atmosphere of the earth. Satan accuse God of creating him evil so God being a JUST God said I will create another species that will be a little LOWER or inferior to you angels to CLEAR my NAME and prove once and for all time that I created you PERFECT in all your ways and that it was your OWN PRIDE that caused you to try and take over my throne. Satan saw that mankind was living uprightly before God so he went and TEMPTED man to sin. Once man disobeyed God this allowed Satan to temporarily STEAL back the “god ship” or the authority that God had given to mankind over all the earth. But God had a PLAN of SALVATION that he kept SECRET from his enemy Satan, which was to bring a SON into the world who would do ALL his pleasure and PROVE once and for all that God creates ALL things GOOD and PERFECT. So this MAN Jesus who was created a little LOWER than the angels OVER CAME Satan THROUGH the ETERNAL SPIRIT of his God and Father who DWELT IN him and therefore Almighty God HIGHLY EXALTED his SON Jesus to now be the “god” over the world to come for 1000 years. Please read the study “UNDERSTANDING WHY” for all the verses that teach what I just said.)
7. If you therefore will worship me, all shall be yours (Satan had the authority to do this Because Satan is the “god” of this present world. But what Satan did NOT know was that Jesus the SON OF Almighty God is going to taken over being the “god” of the new world to come. Other wise he never would have crucified the Lord of gory. See 1 Corinthians 2:8).
8. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get you behind me, Satan: FOR (or BECAUSE) it is written, You shall worship the Lord you God, and him only shall you serve. (Jesus always uses scripture to OVER COME the enemy Satan the Devil. So RESIST the Devil by standing on the PROMISES of Almighty God WRITTEN in his WORD.)
12. And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, You shall not tempt the Lord your God. (Meaning that Jesus must be obedient to the commandments of his God and Father the Almighty God and therefore Jesus must NOT tempt the Lord his God just as we are NOT to tempt the Lord OUR God.)
17. And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written (speaking of Isaiah 42, which we will look at in a moment through chapter 48),
18. The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he (Almighty God my God and my Father) has ANOINTED me to preach the gospel to the poor; he has SENT me (or Almighty God has SENT me ALONG with his SPIRIT IN me) to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Now let us go to the book of Isaiah from which Jesus was reading this PROPHECY of HIMSELF being foretold to come. Please read Isaiah 42:1-9 and notice the difference between Almighty God the Father being the possessor of his SON Jesus.
“Behold MY servant, whom I uphold; MINE elect, in whom MY soul delights; I have put MY spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
5. Thus says God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which comes out of it; he that gives breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:
6. I the LORD have called YOU (my SON my servant, my elect of chosen one) in righteousness, and ( I ) will hold YOUR hand, and ( I) will keep YOU, and ( I ) give YOU (my LAMB that was slain from the foundation of the earth) for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
8. I am the LORD: that is my name: and MY glory will I not give to another (in other words Almighty God the Father is saying that he will give his glory ONLY to his servant, his elect or chosen one, but to no other will Almighty God share his glory), neither my praise to graven images.
In other words, Almighty God USED to be the ONLY God of Israel, but those FORMER things are about to change, because Almighty God is doing a NEW THING, which is to bring forth a SON to be raised up from among the people whom God will ANOINT with himself by putting his own self same SPIRIT upon his SON Jesus to DWELL IN him to uphold him and strengthen him to do all the pleasure of will of his God and Father the ALMIGHTY and MOST HIGH God. Now let us go into the next chapter of Isaiah and read some more about this CHOSEN ONE who we know is a PROPHECY of Jesus the coming SON OF Almighty God to redeem mankind back to Almighty God.
“But now thus says the LORD that created YOU, O Jacob, and he that formed YOU, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed YOU, I have called YOU by your name; YOU are mine.(This verse is referring to the two house of Israel, which some interpret also to mean the Jews and the church as well. But this verse also speaks of Jesus coming out of the tribe of Judah. So the verses that follow speak of the nation of Israel and hidden in the text are prophecies of Jesus as well.)
2. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you: when you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon you.
4. Since (or BECAUSE) you were precious in my sight, you have been honorable, and I have loved you: THEREFORE (or for this very reason that YOU are well pleasing in my sight) will I give men (or MANKIND) for YOU, and people (or all nations) for YOUR life. (This is a PROPHECY of Jesus.)
7. EVEN EVERY ONE that is called by my name: FOR (or BECAUSE) I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him. (This is a PROPHECY of Jesus. Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess the name of Jesus and call him Lord TO the GLORY of Almighty God the Father. And with another Almighty God will not share his glory other than his chosen one Jesus.)
9. Let all the nations be gathered together, and let the people be assembled: who among them can declare this, and show us former things? (the plural US here I believe is yet future speaking of Almighty God the Father and his highly exalted Son Jesus at the second coming of Jesus) Let them bring forth their witnesses, that they may be justified: or let them hear, and say, It is truth.
10. You are my witnesses (Speaking of God's people Israel), says the LORD, and MY servant whom I have chosen:(speaking of Jesus the Son of Almighty God) that you may know and believe me, and understand that I am he (the one true and only Almighty God): before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
11. I, even I, am the LORD (YHWH Almighty God the Father); and beside (or APART from) me there is no savior. (meaning that Almighty God is the one alone who is the SOURCE that is to receive ALL the GLORY for saving mankind. It was Almighty God idea, plan, will, love, grace mercy, chose and very own begotten SON that is responsible for saving mankind. And it is HIS desire that we honor his SON even as we honor him, which in turn brings glory back again to Almighty God the Father.)
12. I have declared, and have saved, and I have showed, when there was no strange god among you: therefore you are my witnesses, says the LORD, that I am God. (The LITERAL translation of this verse says “I I tell and I save and I announce there is no in you alien one and you averment of Yehweh and I El”. In other words, Almighty God is speaking to his Son Jesus saying that HE himself is DWELLING IN his Son and together Yehweh and Jesus are God. Almighty God dwelt in his Son Jesus to empower his Son to do all the will of the Father. And then Almighty God highly exalted his Son Jesus to be a god to rule and reign at his right hand. The word "averment" means a statement of fact that needs no further explaining or proof. In other words, if Almighty God wants to have a Son then who are we to question Almighty God. And if Almighty God desires to highly exalt his SON to become a god to rule by his side, then who are we to question Almighty God. But this is a PROPHECY of the coming Son of Almighty God. Jesus did not question his God and maker, but believed that the scriptures spoke of him so he obeyed the leading of the Holy Spirit even to obedience to die on the cross for the sins of mankind. And for this reason hid God and Father highly exalted his SON Jesus and GAVE him a name above all names so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus is Lord to the glory of Almighty God the Father.)
The NEW THING that Almighty God is doing is bringing forth his SON to be the savior of mankind.
Now take a CLOSER look at the meaning of the words "BESIDE" and "BESIDES" in their original language and you will see that this word does NOT mean that there are NOT OTHER gods other than Almighty God the Father, but rather that there is no other god whose SOURCE is from any other source than Almighty God the Father. In other words. Almighty God the Father is the ONLY God who formed, made, or created ALL other gods. This is what the Hebrew word that is TRANSLATED as besides means.
BESIDE---Strong's # 1107 “balede”, which means APART FROM, EXCEPT FOR, BESIDES, save, WITHOUT, and ELSE BESIDE (with 4408+5750)
In other words, APART FROM Almighty God the Father there can be NO OTHER “elohim” or god or more precisely APART FROM Almighty God there is no other mighty one EXCEPT FOR or BESIDES that one that Almighty God HIMSELF HIGHLY EXALTED to be a god or mighty one to rule and reign at his side.
Strong's # 905 “bad”, which means part, member, limb, pole,bar. (adverb) apart, alone, in addition to. Translated as alone, only, beside, besides, apart, by themselves, by himself, myself, branches, and except.
Strong's # 1115 “bilti”, which means no not without, except for, and besides.
Strong's # 2108 “zulu”, which means “apart from”, but, only, except, besides, save, only.
Strong's # 4480 “minni”, which means marker of a SOURCE or extension from a SOURCE: from, out of; temporary: since, after; logically: because of; of degree: more than, ABOVE;
The mere definition of this word BESIDES clearly shows to ME that there is NO other god APART FROM the god that Almighty God HIMSELF HIGHLY EXALTED to be a god to rule and reign nest to his side on his throne. NOT TWO Gods as in TWO Almighty and most high Gods, but rather ONE TRUE Almighty and most high God with a god who is UNDER and SUBJECT to the ONE TRUE Almighty God the Father.
Now with the proper understanding of the word "BESIDE" meaning the source and apart from which there is no God, let us take a look at Isaiah chapter 45 verses 1,2 and then skip down to verses 24-28.
2. Thus says the LORD that made you, and formed you from the womb, which WILL help you; Fear not, O Jacob, my servant; and you, Jesurun, whom I have chosen.”
There are many types shadows and figures of Jesus throughout the Old Testament. We know that Jesus came from the seed of Jacob being called the SERVANT of Almighty God, but I also wanted to point of the meaning of the name "Jesurun" which at a glance is pretty close to the name "Jesus". Jesurun means upright. With this in mind let us now skip down to Isaiah 45:24-28.
26. That confirms the word of his servant, and performs the counsel of his messengers; that says to Jerusalem, You shall be inhabited; and to the cities of Judah, You shall be built, and I will raise up the decayed places thereof:
28. That says OF Cyrus, He is my shepherd, (Jesus is our SHEPERD) and shall perform all my pleasure (Now I myself only know of ONE who performed ALL the pleasure of his God and Father and that one is Jesus Christ the righteous one. So to ME, Cyrus is another type shadow or figure of the coming Son of Almighty God.): even saying to Jerusalem, You shalt be built; and to the temple, Your foundation shall be laid. (Cyrus decreed the material temple of God to be built and Jesus is our foundation whereby we are the TEMPLE of God)”
Let us continue to read about Cryus in the next chapter to see some more parallels with Jesus the Messiah.
“Thus says the LORD to his ANOINTED, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have upheld, to subdue nations before him; and I will loose the loins of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates; and the gates shall not be shut;
2. I will go before you, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron (Jesus is God's ANOINTED ONE and God's RIGHT HAND whom God will subdue nations before. also see Psalm 107):
4. FOR Jacob my servant's SAKE, and Israel mine elect, I have even called you by your name: I have surnamed you, though you have not known me.(a surname is a family name that distinguishes what family to which you belong. Also a surname can be an added name that describes the character of the person. For example the name Jesus means the salvation of Jehovah or Jehovah saves whereby Almighty God the Father chose his Son Jesus to be the means by which Almighty God the Father saves whosoever of mankind who BELIEVE in his SON Jesus as the Messiah or as his CHRIST his ANOINTED ONE.)
5. I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded you, though you have not known me:(Again the word “BESIDE” here means that there is no god APART from Almighty God being the SOURCE.)
7. I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil (or I make well doing and also bad consequences. In other words, God decrees that he will destroy the wicked and in doing so God does not cause wickedness but God does judge and punish wickedness, which does not give God pleasure. God creates evil or that which OPPOSES God by he giving his creation FREE WILL to choose blessing of cursing. Also it was an EVIL thing to murder and innocent person, but yet this was necessary in order to redeem mankind back to Almighty God. Another meaning of this word that is translated as evil is afflictions. God does not desire to see his people afflicted, but he has spoken these things and must confirm his word. The wages of sin is DEATH, but God takes NO PLEASURE in the DEATH of the wicked. but rather desires them to repent and turn from their wicked ways. This is how God creates evil in MY opinion.): I the LORD do all these things.
8. Drop down, you heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it.
10. Woe unto him that says unto his father, What beget you? Or to the woman, What have you brought forth?
13. I have raised him up in RIGHTEOUSNESS, and I will direct all his ways: he shall build my city, and he shall let go my captives, (this verse is a PROPHECY of Jesus who parallels Cyrus. The city is the New Jerusalem being both Israel and the church.) not for price nor reward, says the LORD of hosts.”
Now let us read Isaiah 48:16 the verse in question being kept in the CONTEXT of where it is found. Please read Isaiah 48:6-17.
“You have heard, see all this; and will not you declare it (Almighty God is speaking to his people Israel about FORMER things that he told them BEFORE they happened and then he performed his word and they SAW it being done just as he said it would be)? I have showed you NEW THINGS from this time, even hidden things, and you didst not know them. (Now God is telling his people Israel NEW THINGS and that they will NOT understand them. These NEW THINGS is that God is going to have a SON, which will be their savior, and that they will not believe it. Therefore God will try his people further.)
7. They are created now, and not from the beginning; even before the day when you heard them not; lest you should say, Behold, I knew them.
11. For MINE OWN SAKE, even FOR MINE OWN SAKE, will I do it: for how should MY NAME be polluted ? And I will not give my glory unto another.
16. Come you near unto me, hear you this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, has sent me. (or more precisely Almighty God has sent forth his SON Jesus out into the world WITH the ANOINTING of his very own self same Holy Spirit that DWELT IN his SON to empower his Son to do ALL his pleasure. This is what the WHOLE word of God clearly teaches us.)
Jesus said that he could do NOTHING in and OF HIMSELF, but that the FATHER IN him did the works. In other words, Almighty God was WITH his SON Jesus by DWELLING IN his SON and doing the works as his Son obeyed his voice, visions, and dreams that his God and Father gave to him.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God. Below are some other verses that are used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity and the deity of Jesus. There may be other verses which you may be having trouble seeing any other way than what you were dogmatically taught over and over for so long, but I assure you that each and every verse used by those who teach the doctrine of the trinity does indeed have a different meaning that does NOT CONTRADICT any other part of God's word. If there is a verse that I have not listed please do not hesitate to write and let me know. Some verse are included in others studies and they may not appear as an individual study.If there is a verse of verses that you seem to struggle with only being able to see the doctrine of the trinity when you read this verse, then please search out the truth be listening to the other side of the controversy. No one can arrive at the truth by hearing only ONE side of the controversy. I only present you with ALL the evidence that I myself have found and leave it to you to decide what you want to believe.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE
Verses used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue to seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of Almighty God.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus the CHRIST.
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE