DID JESUS HAVE A BEGINNING ?
It should go without saying that when Jesus was born of the virgin Mary that this certainly was “a” beginning of Jesus as the Son of MAN. Unto us a child IS BORN.
This was the FIRST time that God SENT his word into the earth to bring into being his ONLY BEGOTTEN Son into the world. When something is FIRST it is the BEGINNING.
John 1:14 says the the Word was MADE flesh and dwelt among us. This had NEVER ever happened before, so this was a FIRST, a BEGINNING of Jesus being born of a woman and partaking of a flesh and blood NATURE just like you and I in every respect.
The Word was with God in the beginning before the foundation of the earth, then God SENT his Word into the earth by the angel Gabriel to the virgin whose name was Mary. Gabriel then SPOKE the Word to Mary, who then in turn came into AGREEMENT with the Word by saying, be it done according to your word. And the "Word" became flesh or the Word was MADE flesh and dwelt among men as the Son of the Highest. This Son of God, the ONLY BEGOTTEN of the Father that was brought forth by the WORD of God and conceived in Mary's womb by the Holy Spirit was then GIVEN the name JESUS. So the WORD was MADE flesh and THEN given the name Jesus.
This is when Almighty God actually BECAME a FATHER and Jesus BECAME God's Son, but NOT when the Son of MAN became God's ETERNAL Son. Remember that a day is as a 1000 years with God and a 1000 years as a day. So the virgin birth of the Son of MAN was the BEGINNING of Jesus becoming God's ETERNAL Son. Jesus did not actually become God's ETERNAL Son until AFTER the cross. More on this shortly. But for now please take a look at Hebrews 1:5 which is a PROPHECY from the Old Testament clearly teaching us that on a certain day in the FUTURE that God WILL BECOME a FATHER by begetting his FIRST BEGOTTEN Son.
“For unto which of the angels said he at any time, You are my Son, THIS DAY have I BEGOTTEN you? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son.”
This verse clearly shows us that Almighty God was not always a FATHER and that Jesus was BROUGHT FORTH by Almighty God and at this time or THIS DAY when God BEGOT his Son, then at that moment in time Almighty God BECAME a FATHER on THIS DAY, the day Jesus was born of the virgin Mary.
Jesus became God's ONLY begotten Son, but NOT to be God's ONLY son. The Bible says in Romans 8:29 that Jesus was the FIRSTBORN of many brethren.
“For whom he (Almighty God) did foreknow, he also did predestine to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he (Jesus) might be the FIRSTBORN among many brethren.”
This of course is speaking of the BEGINNING of Jesus as his BECOMING God's NEW CREATION, and NOT when Jesus was BORN of the woman and became flesh. The BEGINNING in John 1:1 is referring to the virgin birth and HOW Jesus had a beginning.
Here is what John 1:1 says.
“In the BEGINNING was the Word. And the Word was WITH God. And the Word WAS God.”
So if we take this FACT that the Word was there in the beginning WITH God that had NOT YET been MANIFESTED or brought forth into being as yet as God's Son in a bodily form and then place it along with John 1:14 that says,
“And the Word was MADE flesh and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory of the ONLY BEGOTTEN of the Father,) full of grace and truth.”
Then we can conclude that the Word PREEXISTED WITH God in the BEGINNING before the Word was MADE flesh and THEN given the NAME of Jesus. When the Angel Gabriel brought God's spoken Word down from heaven he also prophesied that this holy child would become great and that he would be called the Son of God.
So when the word was made flesh in the womb of the virgin Mary that is the BEGINNING of Jesus being the ONLY begotten Son of God, who was a MORTAL human being, the Son of MAN. Jesus began to become at his baptism, which is when God ANOINTED Jesus and SENT his Son into the world. It was at this time during the ministry of Jesus that he came to be called the Son of God. And it was AFTER the cross, when God raised the Son of MAN from the dead and GAVE his Son eternal life that was WHEN Jesus actually BECAME the ETERNAL Son of God.
Notice that the Bible says the that in the BEGINNING was the Word, and the Word was WITH God. And then the Word was MADE flesh and dwelt among us.
The Bible does NOT say that in the beginning was JESUS, and JESUS was with God, and JESUS was God, but rather the word of TRUTH plainly states that the Word was with God in the BEGINNING.
Now here is ANOTHER way of viewing this verse. I believe God had in his mind to have a Son before anything else. I do not believe the word of God is clear enough to dogmatically say that Jesus was with God in a bodily form as the SON of Almighty God in the beginning as we have been dogmatically taught to believe. All we can say with absolute certainty is that the Word was with God in the beginning. Then the Word at a certain point in time BECAME flesh and it was at this point in time also that the Son of MAN was given the name Jesus. So to dogmatically say that JESUS or God the SON has always existed with Almighty God would to ME be going beyond what the word of truth teaches to become one's OWN personal INTERPRETATION.
Also notice that the Bible says, “In the BEGINNING was the Word. Now we have been TAUGHT that the BEGINNING in John 1:1 means from EVERLASTING or ETERNITY past BEFORE any creation was created. This interpretation of John 1:1 would mean that the Word was eternal and had no beginning and therefore Word would be one and the self same being as Almighty God who ALONE has always been eternal having no beginning.
But is this a CORRECT interpretation of what “In the beginning” actually means? Or does the BEGINNING actually mean the creating or laying the foundations of the heavens and the earth and NOT the entire universe?
Let us examine another way of viewing the meaning of some verses in the Bible that we have been dogmatically taught to believe that Jesus IS Almighty God HIMSELF during the days of his flesh having TWO natures at the SAME time, one divine and one human, and therefore the SON OF God has always been ETERNAL and without beginning or end.
In Genesis 1:1 we read. "In the BEGINNING GOD". That is it. So then, in the BEGINNING the SPIRIT of God was all there was.
The Bible says in John 4:24 that God is a SPIRIT. The word God is simply a TITLE like President or King having authority and power.
“God is a SPIRIT: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”
The Spirit of God is ETERNAL. Hebrews 9:14 says,
“How much more shall the blood of Christ, who THROUGH the ETERNAL Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your dead conscience from dead works to serve the living God.”
The Spirit of God PROCEEDS or comes forth from Almighty God the FATHER. John 15:26 says,
“But when the Comforted is come, whom I will send unto from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which PROCEEDS from the Father, he shall testify of me.”
The Spirit of God is used in creation. Genesis 1:2 says,
“...And the Spirit of God MOVED UPON the face of the waters.”
God the Father raised his Son Jesus from the dead by the Holy Spirit. Romans 8:11 says,
“But if the Spirit OF him (Almighty God the Father) that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he (Almighty God the Father) that raised up Christ (the anointed one) from the dead shall quicken your mortal bodies BY HIS Spirit (the Spirit of Almighty God) that dwells in you.”
The word of God shows us that the FATHER is all in all and is over everything including his own Spirit. In other words, Almighty God the Father, who is Spirit is the controlling AUTHORITY of his own Spirit and his Word.
God chose his Word to bring forth creation and God also chose his Spirit to bring forth creation. God is the CREATOR and God's Spirit and his Word are the MEANS by which creation is brought into being. God said, “Let there be light, and light was.” This may have been instantaneous or light may have taken a certain amount of time to be manifested.
We are not specifically told how long it took from when God first spoke his very first Word, let there be light, and how long it took before light was manifest or when light came into being. Certainly when light came into being it came instantly, because when we turn on a light in a dark room the room id made light instantly. But how long did it take you to get up out of your chair and walk across the room from when you decided to turn on the light to when the power was energized though the switch? That is what I me we are not told how long.
But we do know that God SPOKE his Word many hundreds of years prophesying of his Son and then many hundreds of years passed before his Word was actually made flesh. The Word was in the beginning and was with God in his thoughts and what God's thoughts were the Word was. The word became the IMAGE or the coded DNA of the IMAGE that was within the God of what God desired to bring forth into existence.
In other words, Almighty God, who always was, is and is to come is ETERNAL and has always BEEN. Which is to say that Almighty God was NOT CREATED or BROUGHT FORTH and never had a BEGINNING, but has always existed. But the word was BROUGHT FORTH when God SPOKE his very FIRST word or SAYING out from his MOUTH. So every word God speaks has a BEGINNING.
Let us now explore the other point of view, which I in no way am trying to DOGMATICALLY FORCE upon any one. If you are reading this study, then most likely you are not satisfied with what you have been taught about God, the doctrine of Oneness, the doctrine of the Trinity and the doctrine of the deity of Jesus having TWO natures at the same time, which is definitely not taught in the Bible itself.
If you are like me you may have become dissatisfied with the way the main stream church teaches about God being three separate beings, but yet just one God. If this is you, then keep reading.
So then, one could say that God was alone and had only with his THOUGHTS to be his companion. Then being deep in thought God thought to create something so he would not be alone. This thought grew and expanded to having a Son and then to having many sons. Soon the entire universe became a design and pattern in God's thoughts with having a Son and then many sons to share all that he was about to create. God then thought of how he was going to do all of this and thought of how he was going to bring about or produce his thoughts. So God thought to SPEAK or COMMAND his thoughts in the form of his WORD.
So this is to say, FIRST there was God who is SPIRIT, then the Father, who is the mind or organizing authority which designed all of creation in his thoughts that he then BROUGHT FORTH by or through his spoken WORD. This is where the and the WORD was WITH God from the BEGINNING comes into view. So then, everything God thought then the WORD became the exact expression of God's design or thought.
Thus Almighty God began all of creation THROUGH his WORD. The Word was the INSTRUMENT that Almighty God chose to use to create all things and there was nothing created or made that was not created or made without Almighty God speaking forth his Word. So then, the Word WAS God in that everything God thought to do and followed through by forming his thoughts into his Word.
One translation of John 1:1 reads,
"In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and what God was that Word was".
Now please keep in mind that Almighty God who was NOT YET a FATHER, but rather was only a Father in that God thought or planned from the very BEGINNING to have a Son. So the thought of having a Son was always WITH God from the BEGINNING before God ever began laying or designing the blueprints in his mind of the foundations of the world.
In other words God always had his Son in MIND whenever he created all things FOR his Son. The Son was the apple of his eye. The thought of having his Son was God's daily DELIGHT. Creating things brought Almighty God pleasure. But before God could actually bring forth his Son in a bodily form the earth had to be made to be INHABITED. Now some will argue against this line of thought that Jesus only preexisted in the mind of God and will dogmatically demand that Jesus preexisted as God's SON from all eternity and they use John 17:5, which says,
"And now, O Father, glorify you me with your own self with the glory which I HAD with you BEFORE the world was."
As I have said many times any verse when taken out of context and viewed alone and apart from the whole word of God can seem to be saying something that it is not truly saying. Another way to look at this verse is Jesus is praying to his God and Father just before going to the cross to be crucified. The Bible teaches us that it is a CURSE to be hanged on a tree. This kind of death was a shame and there was no glory in such a death in the eyes of man.
So to ME. Jesus was looking at the Holy Scriptures which spoke of him and the glory he had with his God and Father before the world was. Please read Proverbs chapter 8, where wisdom and understanding is personified as Jesus. I will just quote Proverbs 8:17-36, which speaks in the 1st person where wisdom or Jesus being in the mind of God is speaking.
"I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.
18. Riches and honor are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness. (Jesus alone has the WORDS of ETERNAL LIFE)
19. My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold; and my revenue than choice silver.
21. That I may cause those that love me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures.
22. The LORD (speaking of Yahweh, the ONE TRUE and ONLY Almighty God) possessed me (referring to possessing his Son Jesus in his thoughts as an IMAGE within himself) in the beginning of HIS way, before HIS works of old.
23. I was SET UP (or I Jesus was planned, ordained to be made King over the kings of the not yet created earth. Jesus was foreordained by Yahweh) from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
24. When there were no depths, I was BROUGHT FORTH; when there were no fountains abounding with water.(HOW was Jesus brought forth? The CONTEXT teaches us that Jesus was FIRST brought forth as an IMAGE, a desire, a dream that was WITHING Yahweh to one day bring forth a Son.)
25. Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I BROUGHT FORTH: (in the mind of God in his THOUGHTS.)
26. While as yet HE (Almighty God) had NOT made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world. (So then, Yahweh's first thought was to has a Son BEFORE Yahweh himself ALONE and BUT HIMSELF began to make the earth FOR his yet unborn Son.)
27. When HE (Almighty God) prepared the heavens, I (Jesus) was there (in his thoughts, his dreams, his desires and in his plans as HE was creating the worlds FOR me): when HE set a compass upon the face of the depth:
28. When HE established the clouds above: when HE strengthened the fountains of the deep:
29. When HE gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass HIS commandment: when HE appointed the foundations of the earth:
30. Then I (Jesus his Son) was by him (or WITH Almighty God in his thoughts, dreams, desires, and his plans for me to one day rule at Yahweh's right hand. I was there by him), AS ONE brought up WITH him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him; (This is the GLORY that I believe that Jesus was referring to in John 17:5 and was NOT truly preexisting with Almighty God and God's SON, because the very next verse plainly teaches us the time frame of Jesus rejoicing in the habitable part of the earth BEFORE the earth had been made HABITABLE.)
31. Rejoicing IN the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men.(These two verses, 31 and 32 clearly teach us that Jesus preexisted WITHIN Yahweh as his dreams, desire, and plans that he himself alone and by himself would bring to pass. Jesus knew the scriptures spoke of him so he could see what great love his God and Father had form him even before God created the worlds FOR him.)
32. Now therefore hearken unto me (Jesus the Son of MAN, who came out from God and whom God ANOINTED to be become your atonement for sins to establish God's NEW COVENANT), O you children: for blessed are they that keep my ways.(speaking of the ways taught to us in the NEW Testament under the NEW COVENANT)
33. Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not.
34. Blessed is the man that hears me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.
36. But he that sins against me wrongs his own soul: all they that hate me love death."
Although heaven is God's throne now it is God's design to dwell on the EARTH with his creation, his Son and all of RIGHTEOUS mankind. Let me say this again. Even though heaven is God's throne now it is God's design to dwell on the EARTH with his NEW creation. Where his Son Jesus is his FIRSTBORN of every creature in God's NEW CREATION being the FIRSTBORN among many brethren. God desires to dwell with his firstborn son and with all of mankind, who are found to be faithful IN his Son Jesus. But first there is an enemy of God that must be destroyed. For you see, during the creation of all things God made the angels BEFORE God made man. All that God created was good and perfect. God created the angels perfect in all there ways. But in the process of time pride swelled up in one of the angels who's name was Lucifer. And Lucifer thought to overthrow God's throne and take over as God himself.
Now at this time Lucifer's throne was the EARTH, but he also had access to all of the universe. God was going to DESTROY Lucifer for this evil act of mutiny, but Lucifer ACCUSED God of being UNJUST and that God created Lucifer with this sin of pride and he could not help but give into this desire to exalt himself above God.
So God said to Lucifer that he created him perfect in all his ways. Then God said I am going to create another being that is a LITTLE LOWER than the angels, the kind of being that Lucifer was, to PROVE to Lucifer that mankind will live UPRIGHT before God even being made INFERIOR to the angels.
Lucifer rebelled against God not even being willing to submit to this fair trial, and then there was a war in heaven. God cast down Lucifer to the EARTH and made the atmosphere of the earth his bounds.
Consequently the EARTH was pretty much destroyed during this war and was made VOID.
So now begins Genesis 1:1
“In the BEGINNING God created the heavens and the earth,”
This was the first time that the Earth was created and was Lucifer's kingdom before he rebelled against God.
“And the Earth was WITHOUT FORM and VOID”
The LITERAL translation said that the earth BECAME void, which I myself believe was the result of the war against Lucifer to bring down his kingdom and army of angels, who were trying to take over God's throne.
Then in Genesis 1:3 God RE-CREATED the earth and made man a LITTLE LOWER than the angels just as he said he would. Every thing was going just as God said it would. Man was living UPRIGHT before God in all his ways. Lucifer became worried that his fate would be sealed so he craftily inhabited the body of a serpent and tempted man to sin by deceiving him to believe a lie.
Now when man sinned Lucifer stole man's AUTHORITY in the earth which God gave to man and once again became god of this world. Lucifer is now know as Satan, the devil and the ACCUSER of man. Satan rules in the heavens or the earth's atmosphere as the principalities and powers of the air, and is holding man CAPTIVE. As long as Satan can keep man in bondage to sin, then he has a defense against God. This is WHY Satan does not want to acknowledge that Jesus came in the FLESH and partook of human nature like you and I. For you see if MAN, any MAN were to live his life without sin, then this would PROVE that God created Lucifer perfect in all his ways. It is vital for Satan to accuse man of sinning before God.
But God knew that Satan would no doubt choose this line of defense, so God had a SECRET plan that only he knew about and that was to BRING FORTH a SON into the world who would live perfect and upright before him all his days, and would one day redeem mankind back to God. Now if Satan had known God's plan in it's entirety, then he would not have crucified the Lord of glory, thus sealing his own fate.
So You see, God had in his THOUGHT from the very BEGINNING to have a Son, his ONLY BEGOTTEN Son, but he had to WAIT for just the right time to bring his Son into the world.
In the BEGINNING was the Word (God's thoughts). And the Word was WITH God. And the Word WAS God. Please read the study entitled “JOHN 1:1 THE WORD WAS GOD” and “HOW DID JESUS PREEXIST?for a deeper understanding of this subject. For now let us examine the “type” and “shadows” in the Old Testament which are PROPHECY of Jesus the Christ.
Let us begin with Proverbs 3:13-19 which says,
“Happy is the man that finds WISDOM, and the man that gets UNDERSTANDING.
14. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof more than fine gold.
15. She is more precious than rubies; and all the things you can desire are not to be compared unto her.
16. Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honor.
17. Her ways are the ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.
18. She is a TREE OF LIFE to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is the one that retains her.
19. The Lord BY WISDOM has founded the earth; BY UNDERSTANDING has established the heavens.”
The word of God is personified as knowledge, wisdom, understanding, and the tree of life. The word of God is called by the pronoun she, he and it. The word of God is called truth, it is called life, and it is called Spirit. God is Spirit and God's word being a PART of God is Spirit as well. But Yahweh is the one in control over his OWN self, his own Spirit his own spoken words. God's very own self same Spirit is NOT a SEPARATE person of himself. Nor is God spoken word a SEPARATE person from himself.
God desire in this second beginning of recreating the earth is to bring forth another God, who would always and forever walk in Righteousness before him. The Bible teaches us that there is jut ONE God. But some have not rightly understood what this means, because the Bible ALSO teaches us that God is the God OF gods. Lucifer was set up by God to be a god over the OLD earth, but he became lifted up with pride and tried to exalt his throne ABOVE God's throne. So this new beginning in John 1:1 is THE God creating himself a NEW God to rule for him.
One could say or interpret John 1:1 as:
“In A beginning was the SAYING and the SAYING was WITHIN THE God and GOD was the SAYING of God just as LIGHT was the SAYING of God.”
In other words, And God SAID LIGHT be, and Light came into being. And God SAID God BE and God became into being. The word was GOD, but first the word was made FLESH to accomplish the task of a MAN living RIGHTEOUSLY before God do do ALL his will even to die on the cross. Once the Son of MAN accomplish the will of his God and Father, then God highly exalted him to become is ETERNAL DIVINE SON to rule and reign FOR his God during the world to come.
Lets us see if this is what the BIBLE ITSELF teaches us.
Psalm 136:,5 says,
“O give thanks unto the God OF gods: for his mercy endures forever....
5. ….To HIM that BY WISDOM made the heavens: for his mercy endures forever.”
God had a secret PLAN in his mind when he recreated the earth FOR his yet unborn Son whom he would highly exalt to become DEITY to rule and reign at his right hand side. Wisdom is God's secret plan to one day have a Son, who would walk righteously before him all his days. Wisdom is the IMAGE God has WITHIN himself to bring forth a Son. God used his WISDOM to out fox his enemy Satan. Wisdom became the Son of MAN first, because God needed a MAN to live without sin. As as a reward for the Son of MAN living without sin God would give him his very own nature of divine immortality.
Let us continue on with Jeremiah 10:13-15, which says the Yahweh himself the LORD of host made the earth, when he UTTERED his VOICE.
“But the LORD is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting king: at his wrath the earth shall tremble, and the nations shall not be able to abide his indignation.
11. Thus shall you say unto them, The gods that have NOT made the heavens and the earth, even they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens.
12. HE has made the earth by HIS power, HE has established the world by HIS wisdom, and has stretched out the heavens by his discretion.
13. When HE UTTERS HIS VOICE, there is a multitude of waters in the heavens, and he causes the vapors to ascend from the ends of the earth; he makes lightnings with rain, and brings forth the wind out of his treasures.
Isaiah 44:24 clearly teaches us that God was ALONE when HE created all things BY HIMSELF being ALONE.
“Thus says the LORD (or thus says Yahweh), your redeemer, and HE that formed YOU from the WOMB, I am the LORD (or I am Yahweh) that makes ALL THINGS ; that stretches forth the heavens ALONE; that spreads abroad the earth BY MYSELF;”
So then, clearly seeing that Yahweh was ALONE when HE created all things that means that his Son was NOT literally there by his side as a separate person in Proverbs 8:17-36, but rather was with Yahweh being WITHIN God's THOUGHTS to bring forth his Son in the future AFTER he created a PLACE FOR his SON. Also Jeremiah teaches us that God Word was his SPOKE word being the VOICE, which was uttered out of God's MOUTH to create all things.
Psalm 104:30 says,
“You SEND forth YOUR SPIRIT they are created; and you RENEW the face of the earth.”
In the very BEGINNING God did not create the earth without form and VOID. The earth was destroyed by war and a flood and then it was RENEWED by the Spirit of God to prepare it for mankind and his yet unborn SON, who would first be born as a human man void of any divine nature. So again John 1:1 was NOT the very beginning, but rather a NEW beginning.
Now read Proverbs chapter 8:1-36
“Does not WISDOM cry?And UNDERSTANDING put forth her VOICE?
2. She stand in the top of high places, by the way in the places of the paths.
3. She cries at the gates, at the entry of the city, at the coming in at the doors.
4. Unto you, O men, I call: and MY voice is to the sons of man.
5. O you simple, understand WISDOM: and, you fools, be of an understanding heart.
6. Hear; for I will speak (take notice as you read that WISDOM or Yahweh's voice is narrating the PROPHESIED events that will take place speaking for his future Son and TO his in the future for his Son to declare these these of himself teach him what he will do) of excellent things; and the opening of MY lips shall be right things.
7. For MY mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to MY lips.
8. All the words of MY mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.
9. They are plain to him that understands, and right to them that find knowledge.
10. Receive my instruction, and not silver:and knowledge rather than fine gold.
11. For WISDOM is better than rubies; and all things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.
12. I WISDOM dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions.
13. The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogance, and the evil way, and the froward mouth do I hate.
14. Counsel is mine, and sound WISDOM. I am UNDERSTANDING; I have strength.
15. By me kings reign, and princes decree justice.
16. By me princes rule, and nobles, even all the judges of the earth.
17. I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.
18. Riches and honor are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness.
19. My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold: and my revenue than choice silver.
20. I lead in the WAY of RIGHTEOUSNESS, in the midst of the path of judgment:
21. That I may cause those that love me to inherit substance: and I will fill there treasures.
22. The Lord (Almighty God) possessed me (Jesus, wisdom, the Word) in the BEGINNING of his way, BEFORE his works of old.
23. I (Jesus, wisdom, the Word) was set up from everlasting, from the BEGINNING or ever the earth was.
24. When there was no depths, I (Jesus, wisdom, the Word) was BROUGHT FORTH; when there was no fountains abounding with water.
25. Before the mountains were settled, before the hills I (Jesus, wisdom, the Word) was BROUGHT FORTH:
26. While as yet he (Almighty God) had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.
27. When he prepared the heavens, I (Jesus, wisdom, the Word) was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:
28. When he established the clouds above; when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:
29. When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:
30. Then I (Jesus, wisdom, the Word) was by him (Almighty God) as one BROUGHT UP WITH him: and I (Jesus, wisdom, the Word) was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;
31. Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men.
32. Now therefore hearken unto me, O you children: for blessed are they that keep my ways.
33. Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not.
34. Blessed is the man that hears me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the post of my doors.
35. For whoso finds me (Jesus, wisdom, the Word) finds life, and shall obtain favor of the Lord.
36. But he that sins against me wrongs his own soul: all they that hate me love death.”
In the Old Testament there are many “types” or “shadows” of things to come. (Colossians 2:17) And WISDOM in this passage of scripture is a depiction of Jesus. One can PLAINLY see HOW the Word was in the beginning before the foundations of the earth were laid. And HOW the Word was WITH God, before Almighty God prepared the heavens. And HOW God SPOKE creation into being by speaking his Word. What God's thoughts and design was the Word was or became the exact expression of what God IMAGINED.
For a more in depth study on Almighty God being the CREATOR of all things and the Word being the means by which God chose to use to create all things please read the study entitled “DID JESUS CREATE ALL THINGS?”
Let us continue to look deeper into God's word to clearly see that Jesus was not only BEGOTTEN or BORN, and BROUGHT FORTH, but was CREATED, MADE and FORMED by Almighty God HIS GOD.
Isaiah 48:16 is a prophecy of Jesus.
“Come you near unto me, hear you this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord God and HIS Spirit has sent me.”
Jesus said to the scribes and Pharisees that they search the scripture for eternal life, but they did not see that the scripture spoke of Jesus.
Read John 5:39 where Jesus says,
“Search the scriptures; for in them you think you have eternal life: and they are they which TESTIFY of me.”
The book of Isaiah is filled with prophecies of Jesus. For example here may be one that is familiar to you found in Isaiah 42:1-9 which reads,
“Behold MY SERVANT (Jesus), whom I (Almighty God) uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delights; I have put MY SPIRIT upon him: he (Jesus) shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
2. He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be hear in the street.
3. A bruised reed shall he not break, and a smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment into truth.
5. He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he has set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law.
6. Thus says God the Lord (Almighty God the Father, the Most High God) he that CREATED the heavens and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which comes out of it; he that gives breath to the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:
7. I the Lord have CALLED you (Jesus my Son) in righteousness, and will hold your hand, and will keep you, and GIVE you for a covenant of the people, for a LIGHT of the Gentiles;
8. To OPEN BLIND EYES, to bring out prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.
9. I am the Lord: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.”
We see from this verse that Almighty God the Father is the CREATOR. We also see that this verse is a prophecy of Jesus his Son will be his SERVANT whom God will anoint with his Holy Spirit. And we see that the Father has SENT and GAVE his Son Jesus to be a covenant to the people and a light that would open the eyes of the blind.
Jesus says of himself quoting from Isaiah the prophet in Luke 4:18,19 which says,
“The Spirit of the Lord is UPON ME, because he has ANOINTED me to preach to the poor; he has SENT me to heal the broken hearted; to preach deliverance to the CAPTIVES, (those held prisoner by the devil) and the recovering of sight to the BLIND,(open the eyes of the blind) to set at liberty them that are BRUISED, (bruised reed)
19. To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.”
Now if you compare Isaiah 61:1,2 to this verse we just read in Luke you will find that it reads almost word for word. And Isaiah 42:1-8 says basically the same thing as well, but we also learn from Isaiah 42 that Jesus was GIVEN by God to be a LIGHT unto the Gentiles and a COVENANT unto the people. So if we follow these characteristics that are UNIQUE to Jesus ALONE, then we will learn some more very interesting facts about Jesus the Son of God.
We know that Jesus was GIVEN for a RANSOM to redeem the people or mankind back to God. And we know that Jesus the Son of God was PRECIOUS in the sight of his Father. God the Father said on a couple of occasions, “This is my BELOVED Son in whom I am WELL PLEASED.” We know that Jesus gave HIS LIFE for us. And we know that the God the Father gave men or souls to Jesus, because Jesus said no man is able to pluck you out of my Father's hand. So with these things in mind let us read Isaiah 43:3,4 which says,
“For I (Almighty God the Father) am the Lord YOUR GOD, the Holy One of Israel, YOUR SAVIOR: I (God the Father) gave Egypt (Egypt is a type or figure of the world) for your RANSOM, Ethiopia and Sheba for you.
4. Since you were PRECIOUS in my sight, you have been honorable, and I loved you: therefore will I (Almighty God your Father) give MEN for you, and PEOPLE for YOUR LIFE.(your RANSOM or price you paid by giving your life)”
Now I know of NO ONE ELSE other than Jesus the Son of God that was given as a RANSOM to redeem the people or mankind back to God. So with this in mind continue reading by keeping the verse in its CONTEXT. Let us back up to verse 1 of Isaiah 43 and begin reading.
“But now thus says the Lord that CREATED YOU, O Jacob,(a figure of Jesus) and HE (Almighty God) that FORMED YOU, O Israel (also a type, shadow, or figure of Jesus), I have called you by your name; you are mine.”
You see in the Old Testament Jacob and Israel were not only real historical people, well actually an historical person, because Jacob was renamed Israel, but were also representative of God's people, the Israelites and those who are found in Christ.
But also the name Jacob and the name Israel can in some instances be interchange with the name Jesus, because it is a PROPHECY of Jesus. Much like the name BRANCH of the offspring of Jesse or the seed of Abraham not speaking of seed as many but of ONE, and that being Jesus Christ. Or the throne of David meaning PROPHETICALLY the throne of Jesus.
So with all this in mind let us continue with some other passages in the book of Isaiah.
Isaiah 45:11-14 says,
“Thus says the Lord, the Holy One of Israel, (or the Holy One of Jesus) and his MAKER, Ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command you me.
12. I (Almighty God) have made the earth, and created man upon it: I even MY hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all there host have I commanded.
13. I (Almighty God) have raised him (Jesus my Son) up in righteousness, I will direct all his ways: and he (Jesus) will build MY CITY (the church), and he (Jesus) shall let go my captives, not for price of reward, says the Lord of host.
14. Thus says the Lord, The labor of Egypt (a type or figure for the world), and merchandise of Ethiopia and of Sabeans, men of stature, shall come over to you, and they shall be yours: they shall come after you; in chains shall they come over, and they shall fall down unto you, saying, Surely God IN you; and there is none else, there is no God.” (that is to say there is no other God but Almighty God, the God that is IN YOU Jesus)
This compares with Isaiah 43:3,4 that tells us that the world, mankind, people, or Egypt will God give to Jesus. In other words Jesus would be a RANSOM to redeem mankind back to God.
Isaiah 49:1-6 says,
“Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, you people, from far, The Lord has CALLED ME (Jesus his Son) from the WOMB; from the bowels of my mother has HE (Almighty God my Father) made mention of my name.
2. And he has made my mouth like a sword (or my tongue like a two edged sword); in the shadow of his hand has he hid me (kept me secret from the enemy Satan), and made me a polished shaft (rod); in his quiver has he hid me;
3. And said unto me, You are my SERVANT, O Israel, (or Jesus my Son you are my servant) in whom I will be glorified.
4. Then I (Jesus) said, I have labored in vain, I have spent my strength for naught, and in vain: yet surely my judgment is with the Lord, and my work with MY GOD.
5. And now, says the Lord (Almighty God the Father) that FORMED ME from the womb to be his SERVANT, to bring Jacob (God's chosen people) again to him, Though Israel be not gathered, yet shall I be glorious in the eyes of the Lord and MY GOD shall be my strength.
6. And he said, It is a light thing that you should be my SERVANT to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I (God the Father) will also give you (Jesus my Son) for a LIGHT to the Gentiles, that YOU may be MY SALVATION unto the end of the earth.”
For those who truly desire to know the TRUTH, the WHOLE TRUTH. And nothing but the TRUTH can plainly see from these scriptures that Jesus was BORN, BEGOTTEN, FORMED, MADE and CREATED by Almighty God the Father, the Most High God.
Revelation 3:4 says,
“And unto the angel of the church of the Laodicians write; These things says the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the BEGINNING of the CREATION of God.”
This scripture means BOTH that Jesus or more precisely the Word was the very FIRST thing that Almighty God formed or brought forth as to HOW or the WAY in which Almighty God himself ALONE and by himself created all things. Before anything else the Word was brought forth out from the mouth of God and thus God's SPOKEN word was the BEGINNING of all created things. Then Almighty God chose to use his spoken Word to be the means or instrument through which Almighty God created, made or formed all things, including Jesus his Son born of a women.
Also all of God's NEW creation BEGAN with Jesus. First God formed an IMAGE of his yet to be Son in the foremost thought of Almighty God that was WITHIN the God. In other words, without Jesus his Son in God's mind to share every thing with there would be no creation, because Almighty God created all things FOR his Son. This is what PLEASED Almighty God the Father.
In Colossians 1:15 we read the Jesus is the IMAGE of the invisible God, and is the FIRSTBORN of EVERY CREATURE. Or in others words, the FIRST to be brought forth of every created being speaking of God's NEW creation who will INHERIT the worlds to come.
“Who is the IMAGE of the invisible God, the FIRSTBORN of EVERY CREATURE.”
The word “image” means a reproduction, a reflection, a likeness, or a personification of something or someone. Jesus was made in the IMAGE of God just like all of mankind is made in the IMAGE of God. The Greek word that is translated as “CREATURE” is “ktisis” which can also be translated as creation or created thing. And the word “FIRSTBORN” come from two Greek words “protos” meaning first in chronological order and also denotes chief as in right of inheritance, and “tikto” which means to give birth to, to bear, to produce or to be BROUGHT FORTH.
So Jesus was the FIRST CREATED BEING that was BROUGHT FORTH by Almighty God the Father speaking of God's NEW CREATION where Jesus is the FIRSTBORN among many brethren. Jesus was MADE first a little lower than the angels as the Son of MAN and what God's CHARACTER was Jesus was the EXPRESS image of God's goodness. Then Jesus was highly exalted and further made in God's own IMAGE being given the divine nature of immortality by Yahweh to have in himself even as the Father has always had immortality in himself being the SOURCE of all life.
Jesus is the personification of the INVISIBLE God, which means that Jesus embodiment or perfect example of the ONE TRUE GOD. Jesus came to SHOW us the Father, Almighty God.
Colossians 3:10 we are told to put on the NEW MAN. In other words we are a new CREATION or a new WORK in progress that is being CONFORMED or RENEWED into the IMAGE of Jesus Christ.
“And having put on the new man, which is RENEWED in the knowledge after the IMAGE OF him (Almighty God the Father) that CREATED him. (Jesus and us IN Jesus).”
In other words, we are being conformed into the IMAGE or CHARACTER of Almighty God, which is the IMAGE that Jesus his Son displayed while he was on the earth. Jesus was made, born, and created in the IMAGE of Almighty God, the ONLY TRUE WISE and INVISIBLE God, and we are being made into the IMAGE of Jesus Christ, which as I just said is the IMAGE of God the Father.
Jesus was the SON of God, who was ANOINTED with the Holy Spirit of God the Father. All that Jesus did, while he was on the earth, Jesus did as a MAN, who was filled with the Holy Spirit of God.
Jesus did not do the mighty miracles as Almighty God HIMSELF in the flesh as many of us have been dogmatically taught. Nor did Jesus do these works because he was the SON of God. But rather Jesus lived his live WITHOUT SIN and did the works he did as the Son of MAN anointed with the Holy Spirit of God the Father, the SAME Holy Spirit that God has made available to EVERY believer.
Zechariah 4:6b says,
“...Not by might, nor by power, but BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord of host.”
In the LIGHT of all the scriptures that PLAINLY show without a doubt the Almighty God is the GOD of Jesus it is clearly made known that it is NOT possible for Jesus NOT to have a BEGINNING. By the shear meaning of the word God demands that Jesus have a BEGINNING for if God Almighty is the GOD of Jesus, then Jesus has to come from God as in to be made, formed, brought forth or created.
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you seek the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God. Below are all the verse that I have found which SEEM to be saying that Jesus preexisted as a literal SECOND SEPARATE person who was with God at his side who God SENT down from heaven to become the Son of MAN. Find the verse you want to study and click on the Scripture LINK to read that study and decide for yourself between you and God as to how you want to believe. I personally do not see that this is a salvation issues as to HOW Jesus preexisted. We all agree that Jesus came FROM God.
Yours in Christ Jesus,
Now and Forever,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE
VERSES USED TO TEACH THAT JESUS PREEXISTED!
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2. The same was in the beginning with God.
3. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.”
“And no man has ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.”
“For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.”
“He that comes from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaks of the earth: he that comes from heaven is above all.”
“Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven”
“ For the bread of God is he which comes down from heaven, and gives life unto the world.”
“For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.”
“And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that he saith, I came down from heaven?”
“ This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.”
“I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”
“This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eats of this bread shall live for ever.”
“What and if you shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?”
“Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but you cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go.”
“And he said unto them, You are from beneath; I am from above: you are of this world; I am not of this world.”
“I said therefore unto you, that you shall die in your sins: for if you believe not that I am he, you shall die in your sins.”
“Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, you would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.
“Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.”
“I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.”
“And now, O Father, glorify you me with your own self with the glory which I had with you before the world was.”
“For I have given unto them the words which you gave me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from you, and they have believed that you did send me.”
JOHN 17:24 (scroll down to the second verse in question in this study)
“Father, I will that they also, whom you have given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which you have given me: for you loved me before the foundation of the world.”
ROMANS 8:3 (scroll down to the eleventh verse in question in this study)
“For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:”
1 CORINTHIANS 10:4 (scroll down to the first verse in question in this study)
“And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.”
1 CORINTHIANS 15:47 (scroll down to VERSE #6.)
“The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.”
2 CORINTHIANS 8:9 (scroll down to VERSE #2.)
“For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, that you through his poverty might be rich.”
“But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,”
“And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
10. To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,
11. According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:”
EPHESIANS 4:8-10 (scroll down to the fifth verse in question in this study)
“Wherefore he said, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
9. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
10. He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)”
COLOSSIANS 1:15-17 (scroll down to the third verse in question in this study)
“Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16. For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
17. And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.”
“Has in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he has appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;”
“For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
17. Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.”
“Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;”
HEBREWS 10:5 (scroll down to VERSE #1.)
“Wherefore when he comes into the world, he says, Sacrifice and offering you would not, but a body have you prepared me:”
“Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
7. But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
8. And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.”
1 John 1:1,2
“That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
2. (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)”
“And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;”
“But you, Bethlehem Ephratah, though you be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of you shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.”
“And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.”
PROVERBS 8:22 (scroll down to the second verse in question in this study)
“The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.”
Thanks for reading. May God bless you richly as you continue seeking the truth of the whole word of God. Also please read the studies listed below related to Jesus being God, the doctrine of the trinity and the deity of Jesus.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE
Verses used to try and support the doctrine of the trinity, and that Jesus is Yahweh himself, as in one and the self same being.