Does Matthew 24:20 prove that all Christians must keep the fourth commandment of keeping the Sabbath as the Jews under the Old covenant from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday?
“But pray YOU that YOUR flight be not in the winter, neither on the Sabbath day:”
Some Christians argue that this verse is absolute proof that Christians must keep the Sabbath day as the Jews, because this verse proves that Christians will be keeping it in the FUTURE during the time of great tribulation.
As I have said many times that any verse when viewed ALONE and apart from the REST of God's word may SEEM to say, or be MADE to say something that it is NOT TRULY saying, when it is correctly interpreted in the LIGHT of the WHOLE word of God.
So then, IN the LIGHT of Jesus warning his disciples that if they be in Judea to FLEE to the mountains if and when they see the abomination of desolation, then we know that it is a GOOD thing to FLEE as Jesus WARNS. And it is also a GOOD thing to WARN the JEWS about this FLEEING as well.
In other words, Jesus taught all through the four gospels that it was GOOD to do GOOD ON the Sabbath day, and you are found BLAMELESS when doing GOOD ON the Sabbath day.
Jesus said that the Sabbath was made FOR man and NOT that man was made FOR the Sabbath. Thus if obeying the Sabbath would CAUSE the DEATH of a person, then the Sabbath could be broken and that person would NOT be found guilty of breaking the Sabbath.
So in the LIGHT of what Jesus teaches us about the Sabbath, then Jesus is NOT teaching us that his disciple will be keeping the Sabbath rest as the Jews under the OLD covenant, because it would be a bad thing to NOT obey this WARNING of Jesus to FLEE into the mountain if one is living in or near Judea when she is surrounded with armies. FLEEING is a GOOD thing. So it makes NO sense to INTERPRET this verse in Matthew 24:20 to dogmatically demand that this verse means without fail that Jesus is teaching US, his church, that we are the KEEP the Sabbath day as the Jews under the OLD covenant to rest from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday lest we SIN.
Thus since that interpretation contradicts other parts of the Bible I myself word interpret these words of Jesus as referring to the JEWS in Judea somehow hindering or preventing anyone from leaving Judea on the Sabbath day under such CIRCUMSTANCES as being surrounded by armies threatening to wipe Jerusalem and every last Jew off the face of the earth. Marshall law may be enforced where no one is allowed to leave.
Or the Jews at this time in the future may SEEK God with every fiber of the being and ENFORCE the Sabbath law to the strictest of the letter of the law making it a great hindrance for anyone trying to flee Judea in a hurry and the break THEIR Sabbath. So any Christian in Judea would be hindered from fleeing and no true faithful Jew would FLEE, but rather fight to the death. Not likely to happen, but we know at least 144,000 Jews will seek God in the last days.
And it may not be that Christians will FLEE at all, but rather know this in advance we will ALREADY be out of that area and Jesus is asking us to pray for ISRAEL so that day will NOT be in the winter nor on any Sabbath day, because the JEWS do NOT believe the teachings of Jesus that it is perfectly alright to do GOOD on the Sabbath day and thus be found blameless if they FLEE the area on a Sabbath day.
So then, the subject is that we, as Christians would pray FOR Israel or those IN Judea and surround countries that THEY would FLEE to the mountains in that day. Let us read the WHOLE context to discern it's true meaning.
Please read Matthew 24:15-20.
“When you therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso reads, let him understand:)
16. Then let THEM (the ones) which be IN Judea (whether THEY be Jews, Christians, or Gentiles) FLEE into the mountains:
17. Let HIM (the ones, whether THEY be Jew, Christians or Gentiles) which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
18. Neither let HIM (the one whether they be Jew, Christians or Gentiles) which is in the field return back to take HIS (the ones whether they be Jews, Christians or Gentiles) clothes.
19. And woe unto THEM (the ones whether they be Jews, Christians, or Gentiles) that are with child, and to THEM (the ones IN Judea whether the be Jews, Christians, or Gentiles) that give suck in those days!
20. BUT pray YOU (who KNOW the days of coming of great tribulation and destruction in Judea) that CONCERNING that FLIGHT that it be not in the winter, neither on the Sabbath day:”
The word translated as “YOUR” does indeed mean your, but ALSO it's core root meaning is that of CONCERNING and refers back to the SUBJECT. The subject is FLEEING from Judea. And Christians should be PRAYING for the Jews that THEIR flight be NOT in the winter, nor on any Sabbath day so that THEIR flight be NOT hindered or slowed down in any way.
Neither this verse nor ANY verse in the NEW Testament under the NEW covenant proves or even HINTS that Christians MUST keep ANY day of the week lest we SIN. We as Christians ARE KEEPING the fourth commandment of the Sabbath rest by our FAITH in Jesus as OUR Sabbath the same as Jesus has become OUR Passover and OUR circumcision not made with hands. This will be proven to you by the word of the living God if you are truly seeking the truth of the WHOLE word of God to hear the WHOLE matter. The above was just one interpretation, which does agree with the rest of God's word without any contradiction. Below are some other interpretations that also agree with the WHOLE word of God without any contradictions.
Also another more obvious meaning to ME is simply that Jesus had NOT YET PERCEIVED that he would fulfill the Sabbath rest in such a way that believers in him would no longer KEEP the Sabbath day as the Jews under the OLD covenant. Jesus was yet TEACHING the church AFTER his ascension into heaven THROUGH the Holy Spirit. More on this in a moment, but first let me explain what I mean that Jesus had not yet perceived that believers in him would no longer keep a day of the week as a mandatory obligation lest we would sin against the fourth commandment or any new commandment.
Remember that ONLY the Father knows the day and the hour of the return of Jesus and the end of the world. But Jesus said THIS MUCH I can tell you or this much I HAVE PERCEIVED,
Please read Matthew 24:36,37.
“But of that day and hour knows no man (the word translation as “knows” means that no man has PERCEIVED as yet), no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
37. BUT (or but this much I have PERCEIVED, or this much a DO KNOW and that is) as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.”
Jesus was NOT ALL KNOWING as some wrongly teach. And thus to ME Jesus had NOT YET PERCEIVED that Christians would NOT keep the Sabbath day as the Jews after the cross. Now it MAY be that BEFORE God turned to the Gentiles that the JEWISH Christians still kept the Sabbath day as the Jews UNDER the OLD covenant, because they had NOT YET be TAUGHT by Jesus that HE is their Passover lamb, that HE is their TRUE circumcision, and that HE has become their SABBATH REST and that God cleanse all manners of meat AT the cross. It may be that Jesus knew SOME of these things before his ascension and he kept back these NEW things because he knew his disciple could not or would not bear them until they were filled with the Holy Spirit.
Now I say MAY HAVE kept the Sabbath day as the Jews under the OLD covenant, and I say this only because Peter did indeed FIGHT against God, when God told him in a vision to slay and EAT ALL manners of MEAT and call NOT that unclean any longer which God has CLEANSED.
And we know that AFTER this point in time that Peter ate with the Gentiles and stood UP at the first church council and said,
WHY TEMPT YOU GOD to lay on the disciples a YOKE which neither WE nor our fathers before us were ABLE to BEAR?
Please read Acts 15:7-30.
“And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
8. And God, which knows the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
9. And (HE Almighty God) put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
10. Now therefore WHY TEMPT YOU GOD, to put a YOKE upon the neck of the disciples, which NEITHER our fathers NOR WE were ABLE to BEAR?
11. But we believe that through the GRACE of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they. (Now by this point in time Peter was eating meat with the Gentiles and because of PEER pressure he played the HYPOCRITE for awhile and Paul rebuked him openly for he was to be blamed for causing others to return back to the bondage of the law to eat according to the OLD covenant. But the point of this study is not about eating meat that was called unclean in the OLD Testament, but rather if the keeping of the FOURTH command is TAUGHT anywhere in the NEW Testament. The CONTEXT of this passage of scripture is the MATTER brought to the apostles of whether or not that GENTILE Christians must keep the law of MOSES, which INCLUDED the keeping of the Sabbath day. And Peter said NO, do NOT tempt God by laying the law of Moses upon the Gentile Christians, and ALL the church AGREED. So the MATTER was SETTLED and agreed upon that ONLY FOUR things would be laid upon Gentile Christians that were under the law of God in the OLD Testament. And the keeping of the fourth commandment was NOT those four things listed as being NECESSARY.)
12. Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.
13. And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me: (Now Peter seemed to be on the side of trusting the HOLY SPIRIT to write HIS law on the hearts of the Gentiles as to what HE wanted the Gentile Christians to do or not to do, BUT James was not convinced and felt that SOMETHING must be laid on the Gentile Christians to keep)
14. Simeon (or Peter) has declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
15. And to THIS agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,
16. After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
17. That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, says the Lord, who does all these things.
18. Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.
19. Wherefore MY SENTENCE IS, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
20. BUT that we write unto them, that they #1. abstain from pollution of idols, and #2. #3. from fornication, and #4. from things strangled, and from blood. (NO mention of keeping the FOURTH commandment)
21. For (or BECAUSE) Moses of OLD time has in every city them (NON Christians JEWS) that preach him, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath day. (James seems to be concerned with the JEWS persecuting the Gentiles Christians so as a means of at least some protection he decides that it might be best if they abstained from the above FOUR things. I mean if they went around eating meat that was offer to IDOLS they do not stand a chance to survive the persecution of the JEWS.)
22. Then pleased it the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief men among the brethren: (Every one in the WHOLE church at Jerusalem seemed pleased with this decision of only these four things be placed upon the Gentiles and the Holy Spirit would teach them the rest of what HE wanted the Gentile Christians to do or not do.)
23. And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia:
24. For as much as we have heard, that CERTAIN which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, You must be circumcised, AND KEEP THE LAW: to whom WE gave NO such commandment:
25. It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
26. Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
27. We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth.
28. For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29. That you abstain #1. from meats offered to idols, and #2. from blood, and #3. from things strangled, and #4. from fornication: from which if you keep yourselves, you shall do well. Fare you well.
30. So when they were dismissed, they came to Antioch: and when they had gathered the multitude together, they delivered the epistle:”
Or you are dismissed the MATTER is SETTLED and we the apostles of Jesus agree with the WHOLE church here at Jerusalem that NO such commandment is to be given to the Gentile Christians to keep ANY of the law of Moses other than these FOUR necessary things.
Now, if so be, that it is NECESSARY for Christians to keep the FOURTH commandment as the Jews under the OLD covenant from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday, in order to receive ETERNAL LIFE in the world to come, then Jesus, the apostles of Jesus, and the Holy Spirit failed miserably to TEACH us this NECESSITY clearly, so that ALL Christians would know beyond any shadow of a doubt that if they FAIL to keep Saturday the seventh day of the week as the Sabbath rest as the Jews under the OLD covenant resting from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday, then they will LOSE their reward of eternal life in the world to come.
But I do NOT believe that Jesus nor the apostles nor the Holy Spirit have failed us even in the smallest of matters and thus we as Christians are NOT required to keep ANY DAY of the WEEK as a day of obligation lest we SIN clearly seeing that no day is taught of commanded to be kept IN the NEW Testament under the NEW covenant. The reason we can be so sure that we are NOT to keep the Sabbath day as the Jews under the OLD covenant is because NO day of the week is TAUGHT to us, as a MUST keep day of the week, lest we SIN, in the NEW Testament under the NEW covenant.
Please read Galatians 4:
“Even so WE, when WE were children, WERE in BONDAGE under the elements of the world:(The word translated as world also means system and the context here speaks of the ceremonial system of Judaism or the elements of worldly service to God under the OLD covenant. And one of those elements of the Jewish system of worshiping God is the OBSERVING of DAYS, the monthly festivals and the yearly feast days.)4. BUT when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
5. To redeem them that were under the law, that WE might receive the adoption of sons. (the law was added UNTIL the SEED came. Jesus is that promised seed that was prophesied to come.)
6. And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
7. Wherefore you are no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
8. Howbeit then, when you knew not God, you did service unto them which by nature are no gods.(Paul starts out including himself saying WE speaking of the Jewish Christian, but here in this verse seems to be including the Gentile Christians. The main point is that NEITHER the Jews nor the Gentiles perceived or truly understood the TRUE God before coming to believe on Jesus. But now some from both the Jewish Christians and the Gentile Christians want to go back to the keeping of the feats days, the monthly festivals, and weekly Sabbaths.)
9. But now, after that you have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn you again to the weak and beggarly elements, where unto you desire AGAIN to be in BONDAGE?
10. You OBSERVE DAYS, and months, and times, and years.
11. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labor in VAIN.”
Paul teaches the same thing in Romans 14:5 and in Colossians chapter 2, which we will cover shortly.
“One man esteems one day ABOVE another: another esteems every day ALIKE. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.”
The may point is that some Christians we OBSERVING days and other Christians were not observing days and the Christians who were observing days Paul said were week in FAITH desiring to be in bondage to the law of Moses. They may not see it as bondage, but that is what Paul calls it. Paul seems o mellow out from being fearful that he preach the gospel to them in VAIN, to let every man being fully persuaded in hi own mind to work out you OWN salvation with fear and trembling and back around to standing firm in the gospel of the TRUTH that all but the MORAL law was NAILED to the CROSS including the keeping of the weekly Sabbath day. Again we will cover Colossians 2:8-15 in a moment, but for now let us see if the church kept the Sabbath day after Acts chapter 15.
The word “Sabbath” is mentioned only FIVE times after this first church council that settled that matter that NO YOKE of the law of Moses is to be placed upon the Gentile Christians except for FOUR NECESSARY things, which it seemed to James to be necessary at that time. Paul disagreed, but that is another study, which I cover in the study called "MUST CHRISTIANS KEEP THE DIETARY LAWS?":
“That you abstain #1. from meats offered to idols, and #2. from blood, and #3. from things strangled, and #4. from fornication: from which if you keep yourselves, you shall do well. Fare you well”
Here are the remaining five times the word “Sabbath is found after the matter was SETTLED.
Acts 15:21 For Moses of OLD TIME has in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath day.
We already discussed this as being ONLY the JEWS, who were NOT Christians, that were persecuting the Christians both Jewish Christians and Gentile Christians. And it seemed to James that it would be best for the safety of the Gentiles Christians if the did not eat meant offered to IDOLS. So this verse does NOT teach us as Christians that we must keep the Sabbath day as the Jews under the OLD covenant. Also notice that Luke used the wording Moses of OLD TIME to show us that the law of Moses was NO LONGER taught to be kept as the Jews under the OLD covenant. I will post a list of what the early church writers wrote about Judaizing the church at the end of this study.
Acts 16:13 And on the Sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spoke unto the women which resorted thither.
Obviously even the Gentiles knew that Saturday was called the Sabbath day so these Christians were merely IDENTIFYING what day it was that they went OUT of the CITY to go down by the river to have a prayer service. It would be a stretch to INTERPRET this verse to mean that we are being taught to keep the fourth commandment.
The early church went out of their way to NOT keep the Sabbath as the Jews. READ what the early church writer wrote, which is HISTORY. One quote is from a NON BIAS non Christian source in History that proves that the early church meet EARLY in the MORNING before the light of day, which agrees with all the other writing that the early church meet on SUNDAY mornings the FIRST day of the week that they called the EIGHTH day and the Lord's day one which the Lord was raised from the dead. I have the whole list of these quotes of the early church writers at the end of this study, but I will give a few of them withing this study.
Acts 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three Sabbath days REASONED with them out of the scriptures,
It was the manner or habit of Paul to go WHERE the JEWS were assembled together to PREACH the GOSPEL to them and REASON with the JEWS about Jesus being their MESSIAH.
Acts 18:4 And he REASONED in the synagogue every Sabbath, and PERSUADED the Jews and the Greeks.
This would be no different than a NON seventh day of the week Sabbath keeper going INTO a Sabbath keeping church ON the Sabbath day to REASON and PERSUADE them from the SCRIPTURES their ERRORS of their interpretation of God's word.
These verses no more prove that the early Christians kept the Sabbath as the Jews any more that a NON Sabbath Christian going into a Sabbath keeping church ON the Sabbath day and thus would make that NON Sabbath keeping Christian be a Sabbath keeping Christian just because he or she went into a Sabbath keeping church ON the Sabbath day.
Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day (a YEARLY Sabbath), or of the new moon (a monthly day of obligation), or of the Sabbath days:(the WEEKLY Sabbath days)
I have heard every argument there is TRYING to REASON AWAY this verse by Sabbath keeping Christians. And no matter how hard they try this ONE verse proves beyond any shadow of a doubt to those, who have eyes to see and ears to hear, who are TRULY seeking the TRUTH of the WHOLE word of God that the WEEKLY Sabbaths, the YEARLY Sabbaths and the MONTHLY festivals were ALL shadows pointing to JESUS. And we, as Christians no longer keep the SHADOW, but rather we keep the TRUE of what the shadow is pointing TO.
Here is what Justin Martyr wrote in AD. I will post all the other early church writing quotes at the end of this study.
#11. 155 AD Justin Martyr:
"[W]e too would observe the fleshly circumcision, and the Sabbaths, and in short all the feasts, IF we did not know for what REASON they were enjoined [on] you--namely, on account of your transgressions and the hardness of your heart. . . . [H]ow is it, Trypho, that we would not observethose rites which do not harm us--I speak of fleshly circumcision AND Sabbaths AND feasts? . . . God enjoined you [Jews] to keep the Sabbath,and impose on you other precepts for a sign, as I have already said, on account of your unrighteousness and that of your fathers" (Dialogue with Trypho the Jew 18, 21).
So again all Christians ARE keeping the fourth commandment by our FAITH IN Jesus being our SABBATH REST in the same way that Jesus is our Passover and our CIRCUMCISION not made with hands, because we KNOW THE REASON of WHY these SIGNS were given to the children of ISRAEL for THEM to keep throughout THEIR generations.
Let us take a look at the other verses that Saturday seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping Christians dogmatically CLAIM teaches us that WE, as Christians, MUST keep the Sabbath day as the Jews from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday lest we SIN.
Please read Isaiah 58:12-14 and Isaiah 66:21-24, which seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping Christians claim proves that the keeping of the Sabbath is eternal and therefor all Christians must keep the Sabbath lest they sin.
“And they that shall be of you shall build the old waste places: you shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and you shall be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.
13 If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath, from doing you pleasure ON MY holy day; (speaking of the SEVENTH 1000 year DAY of the LORD'S rest) and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honorable; and shall honor HIM, not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your OWN words:
14. Then shall you delight yourself in the LORD; and I will cause you to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father: for the mouth of the LORD has spoken it.”
Please notice that this is a PROPHECY referring to the SEVENTH 1000 year long DAY of the Lord, in which Jesus, who is OUR Sabbath, shall rule and reign FOR Yahweh while he RESTS in or during the SEVENTH 1000 year long day of the Lord HIS holy day.
Then notice that God calls the Sabbath a HIM speaking of his SON Jesus whom the children of Israel REJECTED as their TRUE Sabbath for nearly 2000 years. So Yahweh is saying to the children of Israel that this is your LAST chance to repent and call your Sabbath a DELIGHT and honr HIM, my Son Jesus as your MESSIAH, your Sabbath REST and stop speaking your OWN words. And if you do, then I will give you eternal life as I have already given the Gentiles to provoke you to jealousy.
Now let us read Isaiah 66:22-24.
“For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, says the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
23. And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, shall all FLESH come to worship before me, says the LORD.
24. And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all FLESH.”
Again this takes place in the world yet to come, which is the SEVENTH 1000 year long day of the Lord, the Millennium, in which Jesus will rule and reign FOR Yahweh during his rest in the Seventh day. One day shall be as a 1000 years and a 1000 years shall be as one day.
Now WE, as faithful Christians will be given eternal life AT the second coming of Jesus just prior to the beginning of this Seventh 1000 year long day, and we will rule and reign with Jesus over the remnant of Israel and those left alive of the nations, who will remain in their MORTAL bodies to live and die from generation to generation for a 1000 years.
So THEY are the ones in the FLESH who will keep the weekly Sabbath and the feast of the tabernacle throughout THEIR GENERATIONS just like it was prophesied in Exodus 31:12-18. The second death will have no power over us so their is no abhorring for us of the dead carcases that they must clean up. They are the ones in the FLESH or their MORTAL bodies wishing that they would have BELIEVED our words instead of their OWN words.
Please read Exodus 31:12-18 and pay ATTENTION to WHOM God gave this commandment of the Sabbath for THEM to keep throughout THEIR GENERATIONS and let it sink into your brain that WE, as Christian will NOT have any GENERATIONS in the world to come.
“And the LORD spoke unto Moses, saying,
13. Speak you also unto the CHILDREN of ISRAEL, saying, Verily my Sabbaths YOU shall keep: for it is a sign between me and YOU throughout YOUR GENERATIONS; that YOU may know that I am the LORD that does sanctify (or make holy) YOU.
14. YOU shall keep the Sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto YOU: every one (of YOU of the CHILDREN of ISRAEL) that defiles it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever (YOU who) does any work therein, that soul (of YOU) shall be cut off from among his people. (the CHILDREN of ISRAEL)
15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever does any work in the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
16. Wherefore the CHILDREN of ISRAEL shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout THEIR GENERTATIONS, for a perpetual covenant.
17. It is a SIGN between me and the CHILDREN of ISRAEL for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the Seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
18. And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.”
This covenant was NOT given to anyone EXCEPT the CHILDREN of ISRAEL to keep throughout THEIR GENERATIONS.
It is IMPOSSIBLE for OUR GENERATIONS to keep the Sabbath DURING the SEVENTH 1000 year long day of the Lord like Isaiah 58: and Isaiah 66:22-24 prophesy, because we are NOT given in marriage in the world to come. We will already have been given IMMORTALITY at the second coming of Jesus BEFORE that seventh day of the Lord begins.
BUT the CHILDREN of ISRAEL will do into the Millennium in their MORTAL bodies of FLESH to live and die from GENERATION to GENERATION for a 1000 years and it is THEY who will keep the weekly Sabbath to LEARN what they SHOULD have learned in this PRESENT world, which is that the Sabbath was a SIGN pointing to JESUS their TRUE SABBATH REST.
I will PROVE to you that the Sabbath was NOT given to Adam, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob or ANY of the fathers of of teh CHILDREN of ISRAEL before Mount Sinai.
Please read Deuteronomy 5:1-22.
“ And Moses called ALL ISRAEL, and said unto THEM, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that YOU may LEARN them, and keep, and do them.
2. The LORD our God made a covenant with US (ALL the CHILDREN of ISRAEL) IN Horeb.
3. The LORD made NOT THIS COVENAN WITH OUR FATHERS, but with US, EVEN US, who are ALL of US here alive THIS day.
4. The LORD talked with YOU face to face IN the mount out of the midst of the fire,
5. (I stood between the LORD and YOU at THAT time, to show YOU the word of the LORD: for YOU were afraid by reason of the fire, and went not up into the mount;) saying,
6. I am the LORD your God, which brought YOU out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
7. You shall have none other gods before me.
8. You shall not make you any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:
9. You shall not bow down yourself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,
10. And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.
11. You shall not take the NAME of the LORD God in VAIN:(this is a PROPHECY of Jesus coming the NAME of the Lord, being the ONLY NAME given among men whereby we MUST be saved and most of the children of ISRAEL took the NAME of the Lord in VAIN by REJECT the NAME of Jesus, which means the SALVATION OF Yahweh.) for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that takes HIS NAME in VAIN.
12. KEEP the SABBATH day to sanctify it (HIM), as the LORD your God has commanded you. (Remember the Sabbath is a SIGN and a sign is like a red flag waving in your face to pay ATTENTION. God wanted the Children of Israel to REMEMBER who DELIVERED them out of BONDAGE so they would NOT miss seeing their DELIVER, their Messiah JESUS when he came. The LITERAL translation of this verse continues as one thought with the previous verse of NOT taking the Lord's NAME in VAIN BY OBSERVING or TO OBSERVE the DAY OF the SABBATH, or to OBSERVE when the DAY of REST will come and to hollow HIM. The would hollow means to honor HIM. And if any who does NOT HONOR the SON does NOT honor the Father. So are YOU HONORING the SON by keeping a DAY of the WEEK that was given ONLY to the children of Israel to point THEM to the SON OF God their TRUE Sabbath REST to CEASE from their OWN works of righteousness that are filthy rags to God because of their BOASTING. The keeping of a DAY of the WEEK was a SIGN or SHADOW pointing to JESUS that was given ONLY to the CHILDREN of ISRAEL for THEM to keep throughout THEIR GENERATIONS)
13. Six days you shalt labor, and do all you work:
14. But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD you God: in it YOU (the CHILDREN of ISRAEL) shall not do any work, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your ox, nor your ass, nor any of your cattle, nor your stranger that is within your gates; that your manservant and your maidservant may rest as well as you.
15. And REMEMBER that YOU were a servant (or SLAVE held in BONDAGE) in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD your God brought you out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm (God wants the CHILDREN of ISRAEL to keep a day of the week to REMEMBER that HE is their DELIVERER so that they will call on the NAME of their MESSIAH and NOT take his NAME in VAIN any more): THEREFORE (or for that very reason is WHY) the LORD thy God commanded YOU (the CHILDREN of ISRAEL) to keep the Sabbath day. (now we, as Christians, who KNOW the REASON of the SHADOW do not KEEP the shadow, but WE keep the TRUE SABBATH, which is to REST IN Jesus and CEASE from our OWN works of righteousness where their is NO BOASTING.)
16. Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you; that your days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with you, in the land which the LORD your God gives you.
17. You shall not kill.
18. Neither shall you commit adultery.
19. Neither shall you steal.
20. Neither shall you bear false witness against you neighbor.
21. Neither shall you desire you neighbor's wife, neither shall you covet your neighbor's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any thing that is thy neighbor's.
22. THESE WORDS (the words of the OLD covenant) the LORD spoke unto ALL YOUR assembly IN the mount out of the midst of the fire, of the cloud, and of the thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. And he wrote them in two tables of stone, and delivered them unto me.”
So then, clearly seeing that THESE words of the OLD covenant were given ONLY to the CHILDREN of Israel and NOT to ANY OTHER human being on the face of the earth BEFORE that day IN Mount Sinai for THEM to keep throughout THEIR GENERATIONS and WE will CEASE having any more GENERATIONS AT the second coming of Jesus, then it should be made blatantly clear to all, who have eyes to see and ears to hear that WE, as CHRISTIANS, will NOT keep the weekly Sabbath as the JEWS during the Millennium.
Now please read Isaiah 11:1-12, which is a prophecy for Israel to understand that Jesus is their MESSIAH of REST.
“And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:
2. And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;
3. And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:
4. But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.
5. And righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins, and faithfulness the girdle of his reins.
6. The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. (This shows the time in which this prophecy will be fulfilled because they MISSED their Messiah fist coming and took the Lord's NAME in VAIN by NOT RESTING in Jesus as their savior)
7. And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
8. And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.
9. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.
10. And IN THAT DAY (the SEVENTH 1000 year long DAY of Yahweh's REST) there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign (or a SIGN, a banner, a flag waving in their face for rejecting HIM) of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his REST shall be glorious. (for those who obey him unto the end of that age yet to come)
11. And it shall come to pass IN THAT DAY (or DURING the SEVENTH 1000 year long day of the Lord), that the Lord shall set his hand again the SECOND TIME to recover the REMNANT of his people (ISRAEL), which shall be left, from Assyria, and from Egypt, and from Pathros, and from Cush, and from Elam, and from Shinar, and from Hamath, and from the islands of the sea.
12. And he shall set up an ensign (SIGN, a banner, a FLAG perhaps saying Jesus the King of kings and the Lord of Lords) for the nations, and shall assemble the OUTCASTS of ISRAEL, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.”
ONLY those of us RESTING in Jesus as our SABBATH REST to CEASE from our OWN works of righteousness wherein their is BOASTING will be given ETERNAL LIFE to rule and reign WITH Jesus in the world to come over the OUTCAST of Israel and those left alive of the nations to TEACH them the ways of the Lord.
The second death will have NO power over US, but it will have power over all those in their MORTAL bodies of FLESH.
Please read Revelation 14:12-15, which is the harvest of the earth AT the SECOND coming of Jesus BEFORE the SEVENTH 1000 year long day of the Lord.
“Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, AND the FAITH of Jesus. (quit INTERPRETING the word COMMANDMENTS of God as the TEN commandments. The commandments of JESUS are the NEW commandments of God, who have FAITH of Jesus)
13. And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die IN the Lord from henceforth: Yea, says the Spirit, that they may REST from their labors (or works); and their works do follow them.
14. And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle.
15. And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in you sickle, and reap: for the time is come for you to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.”
This is the FIRST harvest and the LAST harvest will take place at the END of the SEVENTH 1000 year long day of the Lord. And only those RESTING IN Jesus now in this present world will be given eternal life in the FIRST harvest.
The outcasts of the children of Israel outside of the CITY of God along with those left alive of the nations will all remain in their MORTAL bodies to live and die from generation to generation to generation for a 1000 years. The age of man with will 100 years old and they will not die prematurely because Satan will be BOUND during that SEVENTH day of the Lord's REST.
One last verse to show that God has never rested one single day form the first day of creation and will NOT rest till HIS SEVENTH day comes.
Please read the LITERAL translation of Genesis 2:1-3.
“And they ARE BEING FINISHED the heavens and the earth and all the host of them.
2. And he IS FINISHING Elohim IN day the SEVENTH work of him which he did and he IS CEASING IN day of SEVENTH from all work which he did.
3. And he is blessing day of SEVENTH and he IS MAKING HOLY HIM that IN HIM he CEASED from all work of him which he Elohim created to to do of.”
We were created IN Jesus Christ to become God's NEW CREATION to DO good works of righteousness being HIS work of creation to CEASE from our OWN good works by RESTING IN Jesus as are TRUE SABBATH REST.
Please read all the studies linked within this study and all the studies linked below. This study was just the TIP of the iceberg of exposing the ERRORS of interpretation made by the Saturday seventh day of the week Sabbath keeping churches, and the Sunday first day of the week Sabbath keeping Christians.
Thanks for reading and may God bless you richly as you continue to seek the truth of the WHOLE word of God. Be sure to read that quotes below by the early church writers.
Your brother in our Lord Jesus Christ,
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE
Some CLAIM the the early church kept the Sabbath as the Jews, but I assure you that the early first century church were accustomed to gathering together BEFORE the light of day break on the FIRST day of the week that THEY called the Lord's day.
Here is a NON BIAS historical account found in a letter from Pliny the Younger to Trojan concerning the Christians.
Pliny was a Roman who persecuted and killed Christians, so again this is a historical NON BIAS account of WHEN Christians gathered together.
Here is what Pliny says in his letter to Trajan. The EMPHASIS and comments are mine:
“That they were WONT (or as they were ACCUSTOMED and USED to do, or in the HABIT of doing), on a STATED day (or on a CERTAIN preset day), to meet together BEFORE IT WAS LIGHT, and to sing a hymn to Christ, as to a god, alternately; and to oblige themselves by a sacrament [or oath], not to do anything that was ill: but that they would commit no theft, or pilfering, or adultery; that they would not break their promises, or deny what was deposited with them, when it was required back again; after which it was their CUSTOM to depart, AND to meet AGAIN at a common but innocent meal,(so after the hard worship service early morning beginning before day light they would depart and they come back together later that same to to share a common simple meal together, and most likely break bread together as other early church writers give more detail) which they had left off upon that edict which I published at your command, and wherein I had forbidden any such conventicles (or religious meetings).”
Below are some quotes of early church writers that clearly teach us that the early church did NOT keep the Sabbath day, as in, on SATURDAY, the 7th day of the week, but rather the early church throughout history from it's beginning worshiped God on SUNDAY the FIRST day of the week, which is sometimes referred to as the EIGHTH day of the week or the day AFTER the Sabbath day, or the LORD'S DAY.
(The emphasis is mine in these quotes given below):
The date is given first and the source is given at the end.
Quote number #:
#1. 90 AD DIDACHE:
"Christian Assembly on the Lord's Day:
1. But every Lord's day do ye gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure.
2. But let no one that is at variance with his fellow come together with you, until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be profaned.
3. For this is that which was spoken by the Lord: In every place and time offer to me a pure sacrifice; for I am a great King, saith the Lord, and my name is wonderful among the nations." (Didache: The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles, Chapter XIV)
#2. 100 AD BARNABAS:
"We keep the eighth day [Sunday] with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead" (The Epistle of Barnabas, 100 AD 15:6-8).
#3. 100 AD BARNABAS:
Moreover God says to the Jews, 'Your new moons and Sabbaths I cannot endure.' You see how he says, 'The present Sabbaths are not acceptable to me, but the Sabbath which I have made in which, when I have rested [heaven: Heb 4] from all things, I will make the beginning of the eighth day which is the beginning of another world.' Wherefore we Christians keep the eighth day for joy, on which also Jesus arose from the dead and when he appeared ascended into heaven. (15:8f, The Epistle of Barnabas, 100 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , vol. 1, pg. 147)
#4. 110 AD Pliny:
They were in the habit of meeting on a certain fixed day before it was light, when they sang in alternate verses a hymn to Christ, as to a god, and bound themselves by a solemn oath not to (do) any wicked deeds, never to commit any fraud, theft, or adultery, never to falsify their word, nor deny a trust when they should be called upon to deliver it up; after which it was their custom to separate, and then reassemble to partake of good food—but food of an ordinary and innocent kind. (About three years after the death of Ignatius in 250, an important official communication was sent from one Pliny to Trajan the Roman emperor. Pliny, the Roman governor of Bithynia, wrote of the Christians who had been congregating there probably from at least A.D. 62 onwards. In this remarkable it is explicitly stated that these early Christians observed the substance of most of the Ten Commandments, and it is implied that they observed all ten as far as they were able to do so. As far as they were able, for as most of the early Christians were of slave stock or from other lower classes'-, and those who had heathen masters or employers—the vast majority—would be forced to work on THEIR day of rest, which was unfortunately an official working day throughout the empires' until Constantine's "Sabbath" Edict in 321 A.D. gave them some measure of public protection. Hence one reads that after meeting "on a certain FIXED day before it was light", the first century Bithynian Christians had "to separate"—many of them having to labour for their masters and/or employers from dawn to dusk—"and then reassemble to partake of . . . food". The "certain fixed day" [stato die"'] on which the Christians met, is regarded by Seventh-day Adventists as Saturday'-. Certainly the expression would seem to indicate a regular day of meeting, probably each week. But Sunday is FAR more likely to have been the "certain fixed day" than Saturday. For if Pliny had been referring to the old Saturday Sabbath, as a Roman he would doubtless have referred to the "later" meeting first and only then to the morning meeting on the day after the "certain fixed day", seeing that the old Saturday Sabbath was demarcated from the evening of one day to the evening of the following day. But Pliny makes no such reference. Instead, he mentions that the pre-dawn meeting took place first—and only after wards the later meeting; and that both meetings took place on the SAME "certain fixed day". This rather points to the Roman (and—more importantly!—New Testament) midnight to midnight demarcation of modern Sunday-keepers than to the evening to evening demarcation of the Jews and the Seventh-day Adventists. (The Covenantial Sabbath, Francis Nigel Lee, Pg 242)
Also I myself will further add to the comment of the writer above that mere common sense plainly teaches us that Pliny was clearly speaking of SUNDAY, because the LAW that Constantine passed was not to mandate work on SUNDAY so that these Christians could worship God on SUNDAY. So the CLAIM by the Seventh Day Advent church that the fixed day of worship for Christians was a Saturday is FALSE. Other wise Constantine would have made it a law the employers allowed Christians off for work on a Saturday rather than on a Sunday.
This PROVES beyond any shadow of a doubt that the Christians were ALREADY worshiping God on SUNDAY the FIRST DAY of the week from the very beginning of the church on the day of Pentecost. The truth of the matter is that Constantine only made it easier for Christians to worship God on Sunday without being persecuted by their employers or owners by passing the EDICT making it a LAW to force heathen employers to let their employees have at least some time off from work so that they could worship God on SUNDAY.
Every Sabbath keeper will AGREE that Constantine's "SABBATH" is referring to SUNDAY as the day of the week and NOT as Saturday being the REST for Christians. Again all the Constantine did was to pass a law making it EASIER fro Christian to worship on the DAY that they had ALREADY been worshiping on since the very beginning at the DAY of PENTECOST, which is on SUNDAY the FIRST day of the week that Christian called the LORD'S day the day our Lord rose from the grave.
Open your EYES dear child of God and read what these early church writings are teaching us about the EARLIEST believers as to which day the early church worshiped God. SUNDAY has ALWAYS been the Sabbath or the day of REST of the early church and the church throughout it's entire history.
#5. 150 AD EPISTLE OF THE APOSTLES:
- I [Christ] have come into being on the eighth day which is the day of the Lord. (18)
#6. 150 AD JUSTIN:
"He then speaks of those Gentiles, namely us, who in every place offer sacrifices to Him, i.e., the bread of the Eucharist, and also the cup of the Eucharist, affirming both that we glorify His name, and that you profane [it]. The command of circumcision, again, bidding [them] always circumcise the children on the eighth day, was a type of the true circumcision, by which we are circumcised from deceit and iniquity through Him who rose from the dead on the first day AFTER the Sabbath, [namely through] our Lord Jesus Christ. For the first day after the Sabbath, remaining the first of all the days, is called, however, the eighth, according to the number of all the days of the cycle, and [yet] remains the first.". (Justin, Dialogue 41:4)
#7. 150 AD JUSTIN:
...those who have persecuted and do persecute Christ, if they do not repent, shall not inherit anything on the holy mountain. But the Gentiles, who have believed on Him, and have repented of the sins which they have committed, they shall receive the inheritance along with the patriarchs and the prophets, and the just men who are descended from Jacob, even although theyneither keep the Sabbath, nor are circumcised, nor observe the feasts. Assuredly they shall receive the holy inheritance of God. (Dialogue With Trypho the Jew, 150-165 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , vol. 1, page 207)
#8. 150 AD JUSTIN:
But if we do not admit this, we shall be liable to fall into foolish opinion, as if it were not the same God who existed in the times of Enoch and all the rest, who neither were circumcised after the flesh, nor observed Sabbaths, nor any other rites, seeing that Moses enjoined such observances... For if there was no need of circumcision before Abraham, or of the observance of Sabbaths, of feasts and sacrifices, before Moses; no more need is there of them now, after that, according to the will of God, Jesus Christ the Son of God has been born without sin, of a virgin sprung from the stock of Abraham. (Dialogue With Trypho the Jew, 150-165 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , vol. 1, page 206)
#9. 150 AD JUSTIN:
Moreover, all those righteous men already mentioned [after mentioning Adam. Abel, Enoch, Lot, Noah, Melchizedek, and Abraham], though they kept no Sabbaths, were pleasing to God; and after them Abraham with all his descendants until Moses... And you [fleshly Jews] were commanded to keep Sabbaths, that you might retain the memorial of God. For His word makes this announcement, saying, "That you may know that I am God who redeemed you." (Dialogue With Trypho the Jew, 150-165 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , vol. 1, page 204)
#10. 150 AD JUSTIN:
There is no other thing for which you blame us, my friends, is there than this? That we do not live according to the Law, nor, are we circumcised in the flesh as your forefathers, nor do we observe the Sabbath as you do. (Dialogue with Trypho 10:1. In verse 3 the Jew Trypho acknowledges that Christians 'do not keep the Sabbath.')
#11. 155 AD Justin Martyr:
"[W]e too would observe the fleshly circumcision, and the Sabbaths, and in short all the feasts, if we did not know for what REASON they were enjoined [on] you--namely, on account of your transgressions and the hardness of your heart. . . . [H]ow is it, Trypho, that we would not observethose rites which do not harm us--I speak of fleshly circumcision AND Sabbaths AND feasts? . . . God enjoined you [Jews] to keep the Sabbath,and impose on you other precepts for a sign, as I have already said, on account of your unrighteousness and that of your fathers" (Dialogue with Trypho the Jew 18, 21).
#12. 180 AD ACTS OF PETER:
- Paul had often contended with the Jewish teachers and had confuted them, saying 'it is Christ on whom your fathers laid hands. He abolished their Sabbath and fasts and festivals and circumcision.' (1: I)-2
#13. 180 AD GOSPEL OF PETER:
Early in the morning when (the Sabbath dawned, a multitude from Jerusalem and the surrounding country came to see the scaled sepulchre. In the night in which the Lord's day dawned, while the soldiers in pairs for each watch were keeping guard, a great voice came from heaven. [There follows an account of the resurrection. Early in the morning of the Lord's day Mary Magdalene, a disciple of the Lord .... came to the sepulchre. (9:34f.; 12:50f.)
#14. 190 AD CLEMENT OF ALEXANDRIA:
(in commenting on each of the Ten Commandments and their Christian meaning:) The seventh day is proclaimed a day of rest, PREPARING by abstention from evil FOR the Primal day, our TRUE rest. (Ibid. VII. xvi. 138.1)
I will add that the meaning of the word "Primal" means an "ARCHETYPAL", which means an original TYPE pointing to the TRUE. So this early church writer is saying what Paul teaches us in scripture that the things in the OLD Testament are TYPES and SHADOWS or the TRUE which was to come. Jesus became our SABBATH, and we have entered into our REST being in Jesus Christ. The SABBATH was an ARCHETYPAL pointing toward our TRUE REST which was to come being FULFILLED in the ATONEMENT of Jesus.
#15. 190 AD CLEMENT OF ALEXANDRIA:
He does the commandment according to the Gospel and keeps the Lord's day, whenever he puts away an evil mind . . . glorifying the Lord's resurrection in himself. (Ibid. Vii.xii.76.4)
#16. 190 AD CLEMENT OF ALEXANDRIA:
Plato prophetically speaks of the Lord's day in the tenth book of the Republic, in these words: 'And when seven days have passed to each of them in the meadow, on the eighth they must go on." (Miscellanies V.xiv.106.2)
#17. 200 AD BARDESANES:
Wherever we are, we are all called after the one name of Christ Christians. On one day, the first of the week, we assemble ourselves together (On Fate)
#18. 200 AD TERTULLIAN:
"We solemnize the day AFTER Saturday in contradistinction to those who call this day their Sabbath" (Tertullian's Apology, Ch 16)
In other words, Tertullian is saying that we Christians DISTINGUISH us from the JEWS who hold Saturday as THEIR Sabbath by solemnizing or reverencing the day AFTER Saturday as our day of worship and rest.
#19. 200 AD TERTULLIAN:
It follows, accordingly, that, in so far as the abolition of carnal circumcision and of the old law is demonstrated as having been consummated at its specific times, so ALSO the observance of the Sabbath is demonstrated to have been temporary. (An Answer to the Jews 4:1, Ante-Nicene Fathers Vol. 3, page 155)
#20. 200 AD TERTULLIAN:
Let him who contends that the Sabbath is still to be observed a balm of salvation, and circumcision on the eighth day because of threat of death, teach us that in earliest times righteous men kept Sabbath or practiced circumcision, and so were made friends of God. .. ...Therefore, since God originated Adam uncircumcised, and inobservant of the Sabbath, consequently his offspring also, Abel, offering Him sacrifices, uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, was by Him commended... Noah also, uncircumcised - yes, and inobservant of the Sabbath - God freed from the deluge. For Enoch, too, most righteous man, uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, He translated from this world... Melchizedek also, "the priest of most high God," uncircumcised and inobservant of the Sabbath, was chosen to the priesthood of God. (An Answer to the Jews 2:10; 4:1, Ante-Nicene Fathers Vol. 3, page 153)
#21. 200 AD TERTULLIAN:
Others . . . suppose that the sun is the god of the Christians, because it is well-known that we regard Sunday as a day of joy. (To the Nations 1: 133)
Keep in mind that this was well BEFORE Constantine SUPPOSEDLY CHANGED the day of rest and worship to SUNday as the Seventh Day Adventist church CLAIMS. But it TRUTH Christians had ALREADY been worshiping God on SUNDAY, the FIRST day of the week that they also called the LORD'S day, the day that our Lord and savior Jesus rose from the dead.
So as early as Tertullian in 200 AD there were groups of JEWS and Christian JEWS who ASSUMED or who SUPPOSED, or who FALSELY ACCUSED Christians for worshiping God on SUNDAY that they were worshiping a sun god and not the true God.
#22. 200 AD TERTULLIAN:
To us Sabbaths are foreign. (On Idolatry, 14:6)4
#23. 220 AD ORIGEN:
"On Sunday none of the actions of the world should be done. If then, you abstain from all the works of this world and keep yourselves free for spiritual things, go to church, listen to the readings and divine homilies, meditate on heavenly things. (Homil. 23 in Numeros 4, PG 12:749)
#24. 220 AD Origen:
"Hence it is not possible that the [day of] rest after the Sabbath should have come into existence from the seventh [day] of our God. On the contrary, it is our Savior who, after the pattern of his own rest, caused us to be made in the likeness of his death, and hence also of his resurrection" (Commentary on John 2:28).
#25. 225 AD The Didascalia:
"The apostles further appointed: On the first day of the week let there be service, and the reading of the Holy Scriptures, and the oblation, because on the first day of the week our Lord rose from the place of the dead, and on the first day of the week he arose upon the world, and on the first day of the week he ascended up to heaven, and on the first day of the week he will appear at last with the angels of heaven" (Didascalia 2).
And I add further that the church BEGAN on the day of Pentecost on a SUNDAY, the FIRST day of the week. The early church evidence and the word of TRUTH, the Holy Bible make it quite clear that the early church worshiped God on SUNDAY the FIRST day of the week, called the LORD'S day and that they did NOT KEEP the Sabbath day as the JEWS.
#26. 250 AD CYPRIAN:
The eight day, that is, the first day after the Sabbath, and the Lord's Day." (Epistle 58, Sec 4)
#27. 250 AD IGNATIUS:
"If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord's Day, on which also our life has sprung up again by Him and by His death-whom some deny, by which mystery we have obtained faith, and therefore endure, that we may be found the disciples of Jesus Christ, our only Master-how shall we be able to live apart from Him, whose disciples the prophets themselves in the Spirit did wait for Him as their Teacher? And therefore He whom they rightly waited for, being come, raised them from the dead. If, then, those who were conversant with the ancient Scriptures came to newness of hope, expecting the coming of Christ, as the Lord teaches us when He says, "If ye had believed Moses, ye would have believed Me, for he wrote of Me; " and again, "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it, and was glad; for before Abraham was, I am; " how shall we be able to live without Him? The prophets were His servants, and foresaw Him by the Spirit, and waited for Him as their Teacher, and expected Him as their Lord and Saviour, saying, "He will come and save us." Let us therefore NO longer keep the Sabbath after the Jewish manner, and rejoice in days of idleness; for "he that does not work, let him not eat." For say the [holy] oracles, "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat thy bread." But let every one of you keep the Sabbath after a spiritual manner, rejoicing in meditation on the law, NOT in relaxation of the body, admiring the workmanship of God, and not eating things prepared the day before, nor using lukewarm drinks, and walking within a prescribed space, nor finding delight in dancing and plaudits which have no sense in them. And after the observance of the Sabbath, let every friend of Christ keep the Lord's Day as a festival, the resurrection-day, the queen and chief of all the days [of the week].Looking forward to this, the prophet declared, "To the end, for the eighth day," on which our life both sprang up again, and the victory over death was obtained in Christ, whom the children of perdition, the enemies of the Saviour, deny, "whose god is their belly, who mind earthly things," who are "lovers of pleasure, and not lovers of God, having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof." These make merchandise of Christ, corrupting His word, and giving up Jesus to sale: they are corrupters of women, and covetous of other men's possessions, swallowing up wealth insatiably; from whom may ye be delivered by the mercy of God through our Lord Jesus Christ! (Epistle of Ignatius to the Magnesians, Chapter IX)
#28. 250 AD IGNATIUS:
"On the day of the preparation, then, at the third hour, He received the sentence from Pilate, the Father permitting that to happen; at the sixth hour He was crucified; at the ninth hour He gave up the ghost; and before sunset He was buried. During the Sabbath He continued under the earth in the tomb in which Joseph of Arimathaea had laid Him. At the dawning of the Lord's day He arose from the dead, according to what was spoken by Himself, "As Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly, so shall the Son of man also be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. "The day of the preparation, then, comprises the passion; the Sabbath embraces the burial; the Lord's Day contains the resurrection." (The Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians, chapter 9)
#29. 250 AD IGNATIUS:
If any one fasts on the Lord's Day or on the Sabbath, except on the paschal Sabbath only, he is a murderer of Christ. (The Epistle of Ignatius to the Philippians, chapter 8)
#30. 250 AD IGNATIUS:
"This [custom], of not bending the knee upon Sunday, is a symbol of the resurrection, through which we have been set free, by the grace of Christ, from sins, and from death, which has been put to death under Him. Now this custom took its rise from apostolic times, as the blessed Irenaeus, the martyr and bishop of Lyons, declares in his treatise On Easter, in which he makes mention of Pentecost also; upon which [feast] we do not bend the knee, because it is of equal significance with the Lord's day, for the reason already alleged concerning it." (Ignatius, Fragments)
#31. 300 AD Victorinus:
"The sixth day [Friday] is called parasceve, that is to say, the preparation of the kingdom. . . . On this day also, on account of the passion of the Lord Jesus Christ, we make either a station to God or a fast. On the seventh day he rested from all his works, and blessed it, and sanctified it. On the former day we are accustomed to fast rigorously, that on the Lord's day we may go forth to our bread with giving of thanks. And let the parasceve become a rigorous fast, lest we should APPEAR to observe ANY Sabbath with the Jews . . . which Sabbath he [Christ] in his body ABOLISHED" (The Creation of the World).
#32. 300 AD EUSEBIUS:
"They did not, therefore, regard circumcision, NOR observe the Sabbath NEITHER do we; ... because such things as these do NOT belong to Christians" (Ecc. Hist., Book 1, Ch. 4)
#33. 300 AD EUSEBIUS:
[The Ebionites] were accustomed to observe the Sabbath and other Jewish customs but on the Lord's days to celebrate the same practices as we in remembrance of the resurrection of the Savior. (Church History Ill.xxvii.5)
I will also add that the Ebionites were Christians who were seduced by the Jews to keep the Jewish customs. In other words, the Ebionites were Judanized Christians. The Ebionites also taught the need to be circumcised in the flesh in order to be saved. Some today would not even consider Ebionites as being true Christians since they went back to trusting the law of Moses to be saved.
#34. 300 AD Eusebius of Caesarea:
"They [the pre- Mosaic saints of the Old Testament] did not care about circumcision of the body, neither do we [Christians]. They did not care about observing Sabbaths, nor do we. They did not avoid certain kinds of food, neither did they regard the other distinctions which Moses first delivered to their posterity to be observed as symbols; nor do Christians of the present day do such things" (Church History 1:4:8).
#35. 300 AD Eusebius of Caesarea:
"The day of his [Christ's] light . . . was the day of his resurrection from the dead, which they say, as being the one and only truly holy day and the Lord's day, is better than any number of days as we ordinarily understand them, and better than the days set apart by the Mosaic Law for feasts, new moons, and Sabbaths, which the Apostle [Paul] teaches are the shadow of days and not days in reality" (Proof of the Gospel 4:16:186).
#36. 345 AD Athanasius:
"The Sabbath was the end of the first creation, the Lord's day was the beginning of the second, in which he renewed and restored the old in the same way as he prescribed that they should formerly observe the Sabbath as a memorial of the end of the first things, so we honor the Lord's day as being the memorial of the new creation" (On Sabbath and Circumcision 3).
#37. 350 AD APOSTOLIC CONSTITUTIONS:
Be not careless of yourselves, neither deprive your Saviour of His own members, neither divide His body nor disperse His members, neither prefer the occasions of this life to the word of God; but assemble yourselves together every day, morning and evening, singing psalms and praying in the Lord's house: in the morning saying the sixty-second Psalm, and in the evening the hundred and fortieth, but principally on the Sabbath-day. And on the day of our Lord's resurrection, which is the Lord's day, meet more diligently, sending praise to God that made the universe by Jesus, and sent Him to us, and condescended to let Him suffer, and raised Him from the dead. Otherwise what apology will he make to God who does not assemble on that day to hear the saving word concerning the resurrection, on which we pray thrice standing in memory of Him who arose in three days, in which is performed the reading of the prophets, the preaching of the Gospel, the oblation of the sacrifice, the gift of the holy food? (Constitutions of the Holy Apostles, book 2)
#38. 350 AD APOSTOLIC CONSTITUTIONS:
"How We Ought to Assemble Together, and to Celebrate the Festival Day of Our Saviour's Resurrection. On the day of the resurrection of the Lord, that is, the Lord's day, assemble yourselves together, without fail, giving thanks to God, and praising Him for those mercies God has bestowed upon you through Christ, and has delivered you from ignorance, error, and bondage, that your sacrifice may be unspotted, and acceptable to God,..." (Constitutions of the Holy Apostles, book 7)
#39. 350 AD Cyril of Jerusalem:
"Fall NOT AWAY either into the sect of the Samaritans or into Judaism, for Jesus Christ has henceforth ransomed you. Stand aloof from ALL observance of Sabbaths and from calling any indifferent meats common or unclean" (Catechetical Lectures 4:37).
#40. 360 AD Council of Laodicea:
"Christians should NOT Judaize and should NOT be idle on the Sabbath, but should work on that day; they should, however, particularly reverence the Lord's day and, if possible, not work on it, because they were Christians" (canon 29).
#41. 387 AD John Chrysostom:
"You have put on Christ, you have become a member of the Lord and been enrolled in the heavenly city, and you still grovel in the Law [of Moses]? How is it possible for you to obtain the kingdom? Listen to Paul's words, that the observance of the Law overthrows the gospel, and learn, if you will, how this comes to pass, and tremble, and shun this pitfall. Why do you keep the Sabbath and fast with the Jews?" (Homilies on Galatians 2:17).
#42. 412 AD Augustine:
"Well, now, I should like to be told what there is in these Ten Commandments, except the observance of the Sabbath, which ought NOT to be kept by a Christian . . . Which of these commandments would anyone say that the Christian ought not to keep? It is possible to contend that it is not the Law which was written on those two tables that the apostle [Paul] describes as 'the letter that kills' [2 Cor. 3:6], but the law of circumcision and the other sacred rites which are now abolished" (The Spirit and the Letter 24).
#43. 597 AD Gregory I:
"But after that the grace of almighty God, our Lord Jesus Christ, has appeared, the commandments of the Law which were spoken figuratively cannot be kept according to the letter. For if anyone says that this about the Sabbath is to be kept, he must needs say that carnal sacrifices are to be offered. He must say too that the commandment about the circumcision of the body is still to be retained. But let him hear the apostle Paul saying in opposition to him: 'If you be circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing' (Gal. 5:2)" (Letters 13:1).